R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 *Need Help* MINI won't start! How to Read DTC Codes? I'll pay you to interpret my DTC

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 08:37 AM
Gumbob3
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*Need Help* MINI won't start! How to Read DTC Codes? I'll pay you to interpret my DTC

Bought a non-running 2003 Mini Cooper S, European Spec. I believe the issue is fuel related, because starter fluid in the intake tube makes it fire up for a second or two, then it dies. Plenty of fuel in the tank, and the fuel pump is audibly priming when the key is on. Only a few month old battery. It cranks over strong, but refuses to start. After taking it to a shop to get the oil changed, it ran fine for one time, then wouldn't start the next time I tried. The oil is full, so the low-oil sensor shouldn't be preventing anything. I've unplugged the battery and reset the ECU. I think this Mini is a European spec, because it has a little production sticker inside of the engine bay, and has the shelf below the steering wheel. I plugged in my OBD2 scanner into the port, turned the key to the on position, and my OBD2 scanner did not get power or turn on. I tried my buddy's scanner, and it also did not come on. I went into the "tESt" mode in my middle speedometer odometer screen and navigated to setting 14 to read the Diagnostic Trouble Codes. They read "6148FA, 602830, 20284F, 622800, 122100". I believe these are hexadecimal codes, but I do not know how to interpret them!! Another odd thing is happening... When I go into test mode again and read the codes, some of them change by one or two digits/letters. Some of the codes remained the same, however. I do not know what to do at this point, because I cannot use an OBD2 scanner, and I cannot read the hex codes. I removed my intercooler, unscrewed the fuel rail cap, and had my friend push in the tip of the fuel rail to see if it is getting fuel pressure. When turning the key for the first time, a steady small stream of fuel came out. The second time turning the key and priming the pump, fuel blasted out of the tip with decent force and got all over my friend. I tried to start the car again, and it still wouldn't start. I'm going to try and find a fuel pressure gauge to test the exact PSI, and also have a new fuel filter on the way. Any ideas? I'd really like to understand these hexadecimal DTCs and find out what they mean, instead of throwing money into my MINI and keep guessing what the issue could be. All help is very much appreciated. I am willing to pay whomever can successfully translate these codes into real DTC codes that have a meaning. Thank You!

Old 10-05-2018, 02:05 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
Wow, that sounds frustrating! I’m sorry that I don’t have much to offer at the moment except to tell you to check the fuses. When my OBD2 port didn’t power my scan tool up, it turned out to be the fuse for it was blown. Just a suggestion to check and see if that’s why it’s not working. The fuse # and position will be different on your can than mine, but the fuse diagram on mine actually says OBD for that fuse. Simple compared to trying to find the dang cigarette lighter fuse!! Lol.