R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Valve cover PCV and vent line

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 07:00 AM
PeanutR53
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Valve cover PCV and vent line

Hello all. Did a search and didn’t find what I was looking for. Valve cover PCV and vent line. Vent line that goes from valve cover to intake tube, pressure or vacuum? On idle the tube has a good amount of vacuum. Is that correct? PCV valve to supercharger, can it be disconnected and sent to a catch can and plug supercharger line?

Old 03-11-2019, 07:51 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 280 Likes on 206 Posts
Vent line to the intake tube is neither, it's just a vent for recirculation of the crankcase. While it may have a slight amount of vacuum from air flow, it's basically for emissions and could be replaced by a simple filter.

As for the PCV line, there is debated as to whether it's needed on our engines, but regardless... That is where the vacuum comes from for the crankcase, if you disconnect that, there would be no vacuum to draw the oil residue into the catch can.
But yes that has where you line the catch can in.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:03 AM
PeanutR53
1st Gear
Originally Posted by BlwnAway
Vent line to the intake tube is neither, it's just a vent for recirculation of the crankcase. While it may have a slight amount of vacuum from air flow, it's basically for emissions and could be replaced by a simple filter.

As for the PCV line, there is debated as to whether it's needed on our engines, but regardless... That is where the vacuum comes from for the crankcase, if you disconnect that, there would be no vacuum to draw the oil residue into the catch can.
But yes that has where you line the catch can in.
PCV line (gray plastic line) goes to top of supercharger. It’s just a hole from top to area where the lobes are for the supercharger. I had it taken apart for a rebuild. Unplugged, it has a vacuum. Had it plugged and unplugged with just a high idle
change.
Now the crank case vent line is where I’m confused. I need to measure it with a gauge but it has a good amount of vacuum when disconnected from intake tube. Just wondering if that’s normal since the valve
cover should produce “positive crank case ventilation”. I’m wondering if the supercharger vent causes
that since both are attached to the valve cover. There is not check valves to separate each tube in the valve cover unless it’s hidden under that metal plate.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:22 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 280 Likes on 206 Posts
No it's not normal to have "a lot" of vacuum from the vent line.
the only check valve for the cover is the PCV, the vent line is open.
The only actual vacuum is from the S/C (PCV) line, this is why it's located where it is on the S/C intake tube, before the S/C but after the Throttle Body.

Last edited by BlwnAway; 03-11-2019 at 08:56 AM.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:44 AM
PeanutR53
1st Gear
Originally Posted by BlwnAway
No it's not normal to have "a lot" of vacuum from the vent line.
three only check valve for the cover is the PCV, the vent line is open.
The only actual vacuum is from the S/C (PCV) line, this is why it's located where it is on the S/C intake tube, before the S/C but after the Throttle Body.
I guess I can disconnect supercharger vent line from PCV and see if there still vacuum from valve cover vent line. I’ll take some vacuum measurements also.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:08 PM
PeanutR53
1st Gear
Your correct. Vacuum comes from gray line from supercharger. Gray line disconnected from PCV valve, no more vacuum from vent side of valve cover. I guess my abnormal is normal.