R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 What to do about an '02?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2019 | 01:30 PM
mr.jerm
|
Neutral
What to do about an '02?

Greetings,

Looking for some sage advice with my 2002 black and silver R50. First the facts.

Presently has 136k miles. A valve spring broke several years back on the 3rd cylinder which ended up with the head being pulled and all springs being replaced. Cha-ching!! Drove her for another year before engine started sputtering and sporadically stalling at red lights. OBD codes thrown were P0303 and P0313. Both having to do with a misfiring 3rd cylinder (same cylinder that had broken spring). She's been sitting in the drive way, undriven, for the past 3 years. Sad.

I've been reluctant to take her to a shop because I have a bad feeling that it's a mechanical issue, maybe a burnt exhaust valve, which will translate into another big bill. That and there aren't any good MINI mechanics in town.

On the flip side, I don't want to get rid of her either since this was the first car I ever bought on my own. Sentimental like that and I'm also betting that this model/year is destined to become a classic given the funky body redesigns over the years. Could be totally wrong on that one.

So do I just bite the bullet and shuck out some major clams to get her back on the road, sell/donate her, or wait for the electric engine conversion to be produced?

Thanks and happy motoring,
Jeremy