R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Big service

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 10:41 AM
Island_Moose
2nd Gear
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Big service

Supercharger service and upgrade, new water pump,hoses, thermostat, plugs, timing cover gasket, harmonic pulley, tensioner mechanism, idler pulley, valve cover gasket.
Learn as I go. Have all the right tools.

Handy tool, use it all the time.

Might be original, bad shape.

Old 09-02-2019, 11:14 AM
Island_Moose
2nd Gear
Work is delayed while I source a tee-fitting for the cooling hoses that was brittle and snapped. Also my air compressor spat it’s tank valve so I’m fixing tools too 🙄

Old 09-02-2019, 03:20 PM
jcolletteiii
6th Gear
Received 483 Likes on 340 Posts
Great work man. I'm doing similar work on my 03. Original owner, but it has been sitting for a few years after it ran into head trouble. I'm doing it in a couple phases though - engine first. Head goes to be resurfaced this week, then the head gets a full rebuild. My thermostat looked just like yours. Will replace every gasket that I can get to for the head service, IC boots, plugs, filters. Then the fuel filter and once it's running I'll tackle the water pump, SC, and pulley. What pulley tool is that?

Old 09-02-2019, 05:33 PM
cooper48
6th Gear
Received 575 Likes on 464 Posts
Nice work. Great way to learn about your MINI also.

Old 09-02-2019, 06:43 PM
Snaps
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
If the Mini is never in front-end service mode, then you ain't driving it worth a damn!

But seriously, it is a good feeling when it is more learn as you go, then you realize you can do this, and when it's all finished, and it all works perfectly. It's a great feeling. Just wait until you change the clutch, and then you'll have learned something.

Old 09-02-2019, 08:33 PM
Island_Moose
2nd Gear
Cravenspeed makes the puller. I used a chain vice grip to keep it on the pulley as advised.

Old 09-02-2019, 08:38 PM
Island_Moose
2nd Gear
I was expecting some engine oil in the intercooler and intake manifold, and I certainly found a good amount. I cleaned the intercooler with kerosene and a soak in soapy water for 24hrs. It's pristine inside now, might cool marginally better as a result. The intake manifold is reasonably-easy to clean with brake cleaner on a rag wrapped around a stick. I didn't order an intake manifold gasket otherwise I'd have taken it off to clean.

In order to prevent getting oil mist back into the intake system I have purchased an oil catch can/breather system which will sit between the PCV valve and the grey tube that leads to the intake system.

Last edited by Island_Moose; 10-12-2019 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:27 PM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 390 Likes on 357 Posts
Originally Posted by Island_Moose
I was expecting some engine oil in the intercooler and intake manifold, and I certainly found a good amount. I cleaned the intercooler with kerosene and a soak in coasy water for 24hrs. It's pristine inside now, might cool marginally better as a result. The intake manifold is reasonably-easy to clean with brake cleaner on a rag wrapped around a stick. I didn't order an intake manifold gasket otherwise I'd have taken it off to clean.

In order to prevent getting oil mist back into the intake system I have purchased an oil catch can/breather system which will sit between the PCV valve and the grey tube that leads to the intake system.

Who ever wrote the description obviously never gone to business school. "Reasonably Construction" do not exactly inspire confidence. OK, I know. It is written by someone in China with a very elemental grasp of Kiwi English.

Good luck finding a place to mount the oil catch can. Despite the oil deposit in the IC I doubt there is any material difference without the oil coating. I bought a similar catch can and 2 years later still not convinced that I want to install it.

BTW, are you changing the bearings for the twin scrolls of the SC? If so can you share more photos and what you did?

Old 09-03-2019, 09:32 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 280 Likes on 206 Posts
I was expecting some engine oil in the intercooler and intake manifold, and I certainly found a good amount. I cleaned the intercooler with kerosene and a soak in coasy water for 24hrs. It's pristine inside now, might cool marginally better as a result. The intake manifold is reasonably-easy to clean with brake cleaner on a rag wrapped around a stick. I didn't order an intake manifold gasket otherwise I'd have taken it off to clean.

If you've already bought this, be prepared to remove the filter, and cap the opening, that line needs to be a closed and sealed system, so be ready for that can to actually not have a decent (or any) one way valve for the filter.
Also buy a package of O-Ring's that fit around the dipstick to have on hand, I end up replacing one almost every time I check mine. And the dipstick doesn't seal well enough without one, or some thread sealing tape.

Last edited by BlwnAway; 09-03-2019 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:41 PM
Island_Moose
2nd Gear
No to the bearings on the SC, it is not the original supercharger, and the oil in fact was just slightly discolored.

I'll let you know if I find a place to mount it.

Old 09-04-2019, 06:42 PM
Island_Moose
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by BlwnAway
If you've already bought this, be prepared to remove the filter, and cap the opening, that line needs to be a closed and sealed system, so be ready for that can to actually not have a decent (or any) one way valve for the filter.
Also buy a package of O-Ring's that fit around the dipstick to have on hand, I end up replacing one almost every time I check mine. And the dipstick doesn't seal well enough without one, or some thread sealing tape.

Thanks for that. It arrived with the vent hole bolted shut and the filter as an option. I'll report back on the condition of the dipstick.

Old 09-05-2019, 01:43 AM
Island_Moose
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by BlwnAway

The dipstick is threaded, I’ll use tape.

Old 09-07-2019, 08:19 PM
Island_Moose
2nd Gear
Bracket fabricated and OCC installed. No interference, though it touches the hood liner.

Old 09-19-2019, 01:16 AM
Island_Moose
2nd Gear

New idler pulley, tensioner, seals etc etc etc.

Old 09-19-2019, 07:23 AM
pnwR53S
Bracket fabricated and OCC installed. No interference, though it touches the hood liner.

Good job! You seem to have found the best location. I tried with my cheapo feaBay OCC almost identical to yours, and could not find a satisfactory location with routing of the hoses considered. The best location has to be the GTT and their, what appears to be smaller than usual, purpose made OCC for R53.

Did you install a Rivnut insert on the second hole that has no thread by the Cabrio brace?

Old 09-19-2019, 02:55 PM
Island_Moose
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by pnwR53S
Good job! You seem to have found the best location. I tried with my cheapo feaBay OCC almost identical to yours, and could not find a satisfactory location with routing of the hoses considered. The best location has to be the GTT and their, what appears to be smaller than usual, purpose made OCC for R53.

Did you install a Rivnut insert on the second hole that has no thread by the Cabrio brace?

Yes, I bought a rivnut tool when I installed the cabrio braces and it's my new favorite tool. I like your install location better, but my OCC unscrews from the bottom and I needed clearance.

Old 09-21-2019, 11:18 PM
Island_Moose
2nd Gear
My oil catch can system

Old 09-21-2019, 11:19 PM
Island_Moose
2nd Gear
Why I had no heat

From the heater core

Old 09-21-2019, 11:22 PM
pnwR53S
Looks good, mate! I couldn't find my OCC. I eyeballed where you mounted yours and it seems awfully tight fit height wise. BTW, the GTT OCC and cabrio braces are mutually exclusive.

Old 09-23-2019, 06:47 PM
Husky44
5th Gear
Received 243 Likes on 175 Posts

I like the design of this can and the location. Where is it from?

I know folks are skeptical on the need for an OCC. I'm not saying it's a "must-have" on an R53. I'm going on my experience with my last SC car, and of others with the same car. There was a night-and-day difference on the internals of the SC--cars without an OCC had a baked-on varnish; those running OCC stayed clean. I was surprised at how much condensate I collected with mine.

Thanks for posting the detailed pics

Old 09-23-2019, 07:34 PM
Island_Moose
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Husky44
I like the design of this can and the location. Where is it from?

I know folks are skeptical on the need for an OCC. I'm not saying it's a "must-have" on an R53. I'm going on my experience with my last SC car, and of others with the same car. There was a night-and-day difference on the internals of the SC--cars without an OCC had a baked-on varnish; those running OCC stayed clean. I was surprised at how much condensate I collected with mine.

Thanks for posting the detailed pics

I removed 2-3 full tablespoons of engine oil from my intake manifold and intercooler.

Its basically an eBay special, less than $50

Old 09-26-2019, 02:20 AM
Island_Moose
2nd Gear
“Lifetime” filter

The following users liked this post:
Andy_S (09-26-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 10:30 PM
Rah
2nd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
“Lifetime” filter

Got to love the lifetime claims sometimes lol. Good job on the process and the oil catch can. I am about to do the same on mine next week with a supercharger maintenance, so do you advise to do the OCC for sure? This is my first supercharged engine i usually always have turbo charged engines on my cars (VW/Audi background) If so can you guide me on where you purchased the OCC and did you piece it together or the kit came with the hoses and all? easy install outside of the bracket?

What did you use to clean the inter cooler, not sure i followed. Sorry for the multiple questions, just learning on this car!

Old 09-30-2019, 01:10 PM
Island_Moose
2nd Gear
The catch can istself was purchased on eBay, there are many like it but get the smallest one you can find. I think it's worthwhile, I cleaned a lot of engine oil out of my intake system.

The system is completly fabricated, I bought 3/8 and 1/2 vacuum tubing and lots of t-fittings and step-down fittings and clamps. I vent both sides of the cam cover to the OCC.

I cleaned the intercooler with CLR Grease and Oil remover (not the de-scaling stuff...they make 2 products), and kerosene. I soaked it in soapy water as well for a couple days.

The following users liked this post:
Rah (09-30-2019)
Old 09-30-2019, 07:48 PM
Rah
2nd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
The catch can istself was purchased on eBay, there are many like it but get the smallest one you can find. I think it's worthwhile, I cleaned a lot of engine oil out of my intake system.

The system is completly fabricated, I bought 3/8 and 1/2 vacuum tubing and lots of t-fittings and step-down fittings and clamps. I vent both sides of the cam cover to the OCC.

I cleaned the intercooler with CLR Grease and Oil remover (not the de-scaling stuff...they make 2 products), and kerosene. I soaked it in soapy water as well for a couple days.

Thank you for the answers, its going to happen this week so just want to make sure i am ready!