R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 2003 Indie Blue MCS Original Owner Restore/Repair/Remod

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2021, 04:30 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,203 Likes on 936 Posts
I went with the Way Motors end links. Yes they are adjustable, but the thing I liked about them is that they have sealed ends at the ball joints.

If you are going to do the front bar, then by all means, do the rear. That I found there are 2 sizes of front bars, 26 and 27 mm. I have the 27mm paired with the 25mm hollow rear bar (basically the same as a solid 22mm bar). Great combination.

We seem to have gotten you cold... 10F here and minus temps just north of us. Ski season and not too long from now, we will be back in to track season.

The following users liked this post:
jcolletteiii (02-08-2021)
Old 02-08-2021, 05:41 AM
jcolletteiii
6th Gear
Received 483 Likes on 340 Posts
Not enough snow to ski here. I bought cross-country skis two years ago when we actually got snow and used them a ton that year. Last year maybe a total of 8 or 10 inches spread out mostly in Jan and Feb - couldn't ski once. This is looking like another non-skiing winter - too cold to snow this week. Thanks for the advice - will look into the way end links.

Old 02-08-2021, 09:24 AM
megaDan
4th Gear
Received 191 Likes on 121 Posts
As a fellow rusty mini owner, I'll chime in and also encourage you to get a torch. I've only got a propane torch (no MAPP) but it has been a lifesaver more times than I can count. Even if you only use it for rusty nuts and bolts, you'll be glad you had it. For seized hardware, it's just as essential as a good impact. If the impact and PB blaster fail, I immediately go to the torch. 90% of the time it will do the job and prevent me from having to drill out busted bolts. Go get one now

Old 02-09-2021, 06:01 AM
jcolletteiii
6th Gear
Oh, I do have a propane torch, and I did try that on the couple bolts that were super problematic. Those bolts just laughed! Will have to look into the other one. Looks like home dumpster carries them.

Old 02-09-2021, 06:41 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
You will find the MAPP to be a lot more useful. : thumbsup:

Originally Posted by jcolletteiii
Not enough snow to ski here. I bought cross-country skis two years ago when we actually got snow and used them a ton that year. Last year maybe a total of 8 or 10 inches spread out mostly in Jan and Feb - couldn't ski once. This is looking like another non-skiing winter - too cold to snow this week. Thanks for the advice - will look into the way end links.
Cross-country skiing is great exercise and can be a lot of fun. I gravitate to alpine skiing. Living in the NE here I have access to a lot of good mountain resorts and we are having a good snow season this year. Hope you get a chance to get out this year.

jcolletteiii (02-09-2021)
Old 02-09-2021, 07:20 PM
jcolletteiii
6th Gear
Man, I'm feeling the frustration.

Seats are looking more and more like I'm going to have to cancel my order - just dragging me along. Each deadline comes and goes and no evidence that they are even in production. I think tomorrow is a Paypal dispute on those.

It's too damn cold to get out into the garage and get under the car to disconnect the brake lines and get the rear axle off so I can bring it to my machinist to have it sand blasted. One new caliper shipped, one has not. My new bushings said shipped three days ago, but the post office says they haven't gotten them yet. The heat shield and one exhaust bracket that I found for a decent price are still on order, and to top it all off the can of spray POR-15 undercoating I bought off a guy on ebay showed up 16 ounces instead of 22, and some crappy off brand. Well **** - I'm in the doldrums. I've been trying to do a bit of painting on the prepped bits I have been able to get to - so out into the garage to do 20 minutes of painting, and then bring the part in to dry in the basement. The offgassing of the POR-15 stuff isn't bad after about 15 minutes on the part, but having an open can of the stuff will pollute the entire house for like 10 years.

UGH. I need a beer.

Old 02-09-2021, 07:42 PM
jcolletteiii
6th Gear
Did decide on a rear bar though - went with the 22mm Progress bar. Looks like the coating is nice, two adjustment holes, and not overpriced for a hunk of bent steel bar like a lot of others are. Made in Anaheim right here in the US as well. Not all that far from Stone Brewing. Now, need to figure out some end links that won't break the bank for what they are. Damn this stuff is overpriced.

Old 02-09-2021, 09:07 PM
jcolletteiii
6th Gear
Damn it! The end links I bought were more than the bar! Went with the Powergrid non-heim. I spent way too much money tonight. Other than bolts, the rear end should be done now - when all the parts start arriving, that is.

Old 02-10-2021, 07:14 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Stone makes a great beer!

Old 02-12-2021, 09:18 PM
jcolletteiii
6th Gear
Finally, finally...FINALLY, some good news. Had to get PP involved due to the mfgr going beyond the timeframe promised without any indication that they were actually in production, but it looks as though the seats are on their way. Hard to see from the pic, but double stitching around the edge is cobalt blue.

Got my trailing arm brackets back from my machinist and started POR-15-ing them. Looks like most of the parts have now shipped and will be in next week. Now if I can just get a couple warm days to get under the car, disconnect the rear brake lines, drain the fluid, and drop that rear axle.

Old 02-12-2021, 10:35 PM
Husky44
5th Gear
Received 243 Likes on 175 Posts
Finally, finally...FINALLY, some good news. Had to get PP involved due to the mfgr going beyond the timeframe promised without any indication that they were actually in production, but it looks as though the seats are on their way. Hard to see from the pic, but double stitching around the edge is cobalt blue.

Got my trailing arm brackets back from my machinist and started POR-15-ing them. Looks like most of the parts have now shipped and will be in next week. Now if I can just get a couple warm days to get under the car, disconnect the rear brake lines, drain the fluid, and drop that rear axle.
Forgot you had ordered seats.

Look good, and I'm looking forward to hearing your report, although a 4 month wait makes me hesitant to even consider them.

Old 02-13-2021, 07:20 AM
jcolletteiii
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Husky44
Forgot you had ordered seats.

Look good, and I'm looking forward to hearing your report, although a 4 month wait makes me hesitant to even consider them.
I almost forgot that I ordered them too - LOL! They were a custom job - I don't care for the carbon-fiber weave look vinyl that they use on the stock version, didn't want the logo on the seat face, and wanted cobalt blue double stitching around the margin to match my shift and handbrake boots, and the vinyl swatch that I was sent was nearly a perfect match with the color of the rest of the interior. I'm not a 'label *****', so didn't want to give them free advertising. In fact I was talking with Cobra about a similar Misano L - blue stitch around the perimeter, no big name label on the seat face and heater inserts. Almost pulled the trigger on those for $2100 each (yikes!!!). Had to sell one of my vintage tube preamps that I put a lot of work into to fund buying these, so I want what I want.

I suppose that the amount of time probably isn't that bad considering the custom order, that they are made overseas, and COVID-related delays. The issue I had was that they agreed to provide production photos so that I could see they were being made properly to my specs when I ordered them - and I did not receive a single photo until I got PP involved. Then, voila! Photo two days later!

Anyhow, pretty stoked about them being in the shipping phase. As of right now, though, I don't know if these are 'Oh ****!' photos from the manufacturer side overseas, or 'They're getting ready to ship domestically' photos. I have asked for clarification prior to calling off PP though, so I imagine I will hear more today.

It also looks like all of my rear suspension parts *except* my new sway bar have shipped. Tomorrow is supposed to be a bit warmer (-3 daytime instead of today's -16 daytime temps) so I should be able to get that rear axle out and start cleaning it up. Will take pics when I do to show the rough shape it's in currently. The finish on that part definitely did not hold up well.

Old 02-14-2021, 10:30 PM
jcolletteiii
6th Gear
SLOW going this weekend, but have Monday off and it's supposed to be somewhat warmer. I have 2 coats of paint now on the trailing arm bracket bottoms and insides, two coats on one trailing arm top, the first coat on the other TA top, and one coat on the top of each of the bracket bottoms. Stuff takes forever to dry and I can only do one side at a time - paint it in the -15 garage with one small heater going, then into the basement to cure. Want to get three coats on everything before I start the reassembly. I found a used axle carrier on fleabay for about what I would have paid my machinist to sand blast the rust off of mine. I couldn't see any big rust spots on it - on mine, you can't see any spots of paint. That should be here by the end of the week. I also ordered 4 adjustable control arms. I am not very confident in the aluminum lowers at all any more. The steel upper ones still look great - why did they do that, anyone know? Anyhow, both of mine were kinked, and who knows, maybe I will want to play with toe at some point. Anyhow, four of those are on the way - just went with the inexpensive Dorman ones - they have pretty good reviews and seem to be pretty good price/quality. Should be able to pull the axle tomorrow. Then I will start cleaning up the surface of the underside of the car with simple green. Then I'll be able to see where the bits that I'll need to start dremeling out rust on prior to priming and re-undercoating. Hopefully some reassembly by week's end.

Going to degrease and scuff this one up good when it arrives and give it at least one (probably two) coats of POR-15.

Also ordered a couple of the muffler bracket backer - the part with the two studs that goes through from the inside of the car for the exhaust hangers to bolt to. Mini part number 41107035266. Lotsa parts showing up tomorrow!

smschriefer (02-15-2021)
Old 02-15-2021, 04:52 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
We have snow coming tonight and I have a snowblower to put back together (found some good Ebay parts for it, too). And it is only 24F outside. I think your project “wins”. I admire your dedication.

Old 02-15-2021, 07:03 AM
jcolletteiii
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
We have snow coming tonight and I have a snowblower to put back together (found some good Ebay parts for it, too). And it is only 24F outside. I think your project “wins”. I admire your dedication.
LOL - I'm from, and my parents still live in, western MA, so I hear about all of the snow you're getting out that way this year. Isn't ebay awesome? I'ts not as good as it used to be - very few auctions on there anymore, more like a used stuff version of Amazon, but I still really enjoy it.

Old 02-15-2021, 07:29 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Probably not far from me in the Albany area, then.

Not minding the general Ebay format. It is quick if I can find what I am looking for and the price is reasonable.

Old 02-15-2021, 10:48 AM
jcolletteiii
6th Gear
Took about 2 hours to do, but the rear subframe is completely disassembled. Got the axle carrier out 10 minutes ago.

The damn calipers were the toughest part - or the driver's side one was. The e-brake cable metal fitting that slides through a small hole in the caliper body was sieved in there. Had to get a sharp cold chisel in there and gradually pop it out by chiseling all the way round. Got it out with no damage though (to the cable part, the caliper body doesn't look all that great). Both rear brake lines look good, will probably replace them though. Supported the gas tank, removed the bolts, and fished it out of the ebrake cables and battery cable (runs under the axle).

Pretty excited to finally have that off of the car, now I can see what all needs to be done about the rust.

ricardiini (02-15-2021)
Old 02-15-2021, 05:18 PM
smschriefer
2nd Gear
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
I had to laugh at the e-brake issue. I had the exact same issue. I ended up having to cut a section and spreading the caliper body to get mine out. I wish I lived closer as I still have my old swing arms sitting in the shed. They just have some surface rust.

Old 02-17-2021, 08:09 AM
jcolletteiii
6th Gear
ATTN! ACHTUNG! ATENCION!

DO NOT BUY the Problem Solving Bushings set PSB 660 rear trailing arm bushing set unless you have the aluminum trailing arm conversion. It will not fit the standard steel trailing arms because it has a conical steel insert. Their listings indicate that this bush set will fit earlier R50-R53, but they will not unless you have done the aluminum trailing arm conversion. Unfortunately, they do not have a crush insert that is flat on both sides.

Just heard back from Armstrong (their US distributor) and they will have a R50-R53 version with the proper spindle for the steel trailing arms in a couple of weeks.

Old 02-17-2021, 08:37 PM
jcolletteiii
6th Gear
Well, probably on hold for a bit due to the crazy weather hitting the south. My replacement used rear axle is (or rather, Isn't right now) coming from Texas. The ebay seller was able to send me an email this morning and they have all sorts of internet and electric problems, so not sure when I can get all of this stuff I'm sitting on mounted up and back together.

Got my rear control arms, and I have to say I am not a fan of Chinese-made parts, but WOW - these Dorman adjustable control arms turn buttery smooth, and are incredibly heavy solid aluminum. And for $45 bucks each - it's almost a steal. Looking forward to getting the back end put back together.

Got two coats of POR-15 on all of my parts (other than the axle), and it looks good. Was going to put on a third, but don't think I need it - so the trailing arms, and arm brackets are done. Need to figure out which bushing set I will go with - or wait until PSB's have been updated... UGH. I want to use my spring break to do most of this work if I can, hopefully I will have everything by then (including the seats).

Speaking of having everything - does anyone know if realOEM has a page on miscellaneous push-in wire and tubing holders (if they do, I can't find it)? There were a couple push-in type wire holders that I broke taking out the axle carrier and would like to source those small parts as well...

Old 02-17-2021, 10:58 PM
deepgrey
6th Gear
Received 354 Likes on 274 Posts
Speaking of having everything - does anyone know if realOEM has a page on miscellaneous push-in wire and tubing holders (if they do, I can't find it)? There were a couple push-in type wire holders that I broke taking out the axle carrier and would like to source those small parts as well...
Like this?

jcolletteiii (02-18-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 06:25 AM
jcolletteiii
6th Gear
That's awesome! Now if only they'd indicate somehow which one is which and where it was from! I gotta get out into the garage and see if any of these are the couple of strange looking ones on the axle that I broke. Do you think these are all electrical related only? I think the ones on the axle that I destroyed (they were super brittle) held brake lines, and one held the main battery positive strap - so that one should be listed on here! Thanks!

Old 02-18-2021, 02:53 PM
smschriefer
2nd Gear
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Order a couple of the #11 on that page. If you didn't break them when disconnecting the speed sensors and brake sensor, you probably will when it goes back together. I have broken every one of them on my car. I need to order some, so this was helpful.

Old 02-18-2021, 09:27 PM
deepgrey
6th Gear
Received 354 Likes on 274 Posts
That's awesome! Now if only they'd indicate somehow which one is which and where it was from! I gotta get out into the garage and see if any of these are the couple of strange looking ones on the axle that I broke. Do you think these are all electrical related only? I think the ones on the axle that I destroyed (they were super brittle) held brake lines, and one held the main battery positive strap - so that one should be listed on here! Thanks!
I believe those are all electrical, but RealOEM is confusing sometimes.

I'm not sure what you broke exactly, but look at some of the small parts on the rear axle page. Maybe part #20 or 21?

Old 02-19-2021, 06:05 AM
jcolletteiii
6th Gear
I did order one of the ABS clips because my front one was broken, and I ordered some #21's from the rear axle page too. But the ones that I was having trouble finding were on the brakes page, on the rear brake lines diagram - these little suckers... 34326757257. I also ordered a bunch of generic push in zip-ties and a few other miscellaneous pieces. My axle is finally in Fedex's hands, so hopefully will have that by Monday, and the new rear sway bar showed up yesterday as well, so all of the parts are either here on on the way finally. Man, these little parts can add up to quite a pile of money spent on small clips.

Quick Reply: R50/53 2003 Indie Blue MCS Original Owner Restore/Repair/Remod