R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Enthusiasts (elitists?): Manual Cooper or Auto S?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 03:05 PM
planeguy
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cooper4us
I own a Getrag equipped 6-speed manual MCS and a ZF VT-1 CVT equipped Cooper. I love both equally

This is an old debate that is very emotional for most MINI driver's but in my back to back experience with both I personally don't have a problem motoring down the road on a stick shift/CVT/ and now the new Aisin 6-speed automatic slushbox equipped MINI.

There are way too many "Closet Racers" in these forums and that is fine with me. People that are narrow minded and elitist can't help it because every time they type a post their little issues become evident.

The truth of the matter is whether you are a seasoned manual driver or an automatic driver (CVTs are a very different beast for those that have the tendency to lump them together with hydraulically operated slushboxes), you are motoring in one of the finest European motocars in the American road at ANY price.

You are not less of a "Motorer" or an "Enthusiast" or whatever you wanna call it because you pick a Cooper S Auto over a manual version and viceversa.

This is such a divided country in ideologies that even this divisionism is blatant in the choice of one's car transmission.

Motor on and move on!

So let me ask you fellow motorers... If the MINI ONE Diesel model was available in the US, those people opting for a slower but torquier diesel engine would also be less "Enthusiastic" and less of a "Motorer"?? Me thinks not...
yep

Old 12-10-2004, 06:06 PM
Red
6th Gear
Cooper 4 Us:
"People that are narrow minded and elitist can't help it because every time they type a post their little issues become evident."

Now. let's see....how many words did it take to post your "little issue"?

regards,
Red

Old 12-10-2004, 06:27 PM
VRBeauty
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by XAlfa
Hmmm... I live in San Francisco and my daily commute involves a lot of time in stop and go traffic, but I love my manual transmission and would never consider an automatic. My God, is something wrong with me?
Alfa: No, nott necessarily. You's you, and I's I, and we have different 'druthers, that's all. Nothing to lose sleep over!

Old 12-10-2004, 06:33 PM
115hp
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Humourless
automatics are easier for thieves to steal
The average American may not know how to drive a stick, but a professional car thief?

Old 12-10-2004, 06:55 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Reliability varies with both manual and automatic transmissions.

I had a '91 dodge caravan 3 speed automatic that I sold after 12 years and 125,000 miles on the original transmission to buy my MCS. I still have a '95 Nissan Maxima SE with original auto transmission and 108,000 miles.

The manual MC is alot less expensive than the auto MCS- that could make a difference for some budgets.

An auto MCS or MC would have more value for a family with multiple drivers where some only drive auto like younger drivers or spouses.

When it comes to heavy traffic and urban driving the auto is less tiring. For open areas the manual MC would be more responsive and fun. On the track or at autocross either one would be fine- driver skill counts more than the transmission option.

The choice is yours- enjoy the ride.

Old 12-10-2004, 07:10 PM
115hp
5th Gear
Originally Posted by minihune
On the track or at autocross either one would be fine- driver skill counts more than the transmission option.
Manual Cooper vs. auto S head-to-head with equal driver skill on an average auto-X course which car is faster?

Old 12-10-2004, 07:21 PM
MiniCooperJD
3rd Gear
I vote for Manual Cooper... (of course, I have one...)

Old 12-11-2004, 03:31 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by greg67
Manual Cooper vs. auto S head-to-head with equal driver skill on an average auto-X course which car is faster?
For driver at Novice level (First year at autocross):
Slight edge initially to the auto MCS until the manual MC driver can figure out shifting and downshifting. By the end of the season both would be about even on times with a slight advantage to the MCS on raw time and slight advantage to MC in H-stock on PAX adjusted time.

For driver at Intermediate level (1-3 years at autocross, consistently finishes at top of class on local level):
Slight edge on raw time to auto MCS. Advantage to MC in H-stock on PAX time overall. Competition might be more fierce in G-stock but that varies from region to region. Fun to drive either car.

For driver at Advanced level (many years of autocross and competes at national/regional championship events):
Doesn't really matter which car, driver adjusts and compensates for the car and for the course on a given day. Driver may have own bias or preference but results should be close with either car (H-stock for the MC and G-stock for the MCS on the local level)

Old 12-11-2004, 06:08 AM
z3bum
5th Gear
Although the MINI's CVT automatic is innovative, MINIs are meant to be shifted!! If one is buying a Cooper S, why not get the six-speed? People tell me that it is easier to drive in heavy traffic with an automatic... that's total BS, much like a girl telling you she 'just wants to be friends'. MINIs run nicely in second gear from 10 to 35 mph, and in third from 30 to 55mph, so no need to constantly shift, just put the car in gear and drive.

I have had had a choice on the MINI, I would buy the Cooper S. There is alot more power to be used and it makes the car that much more fun. My two cents...

I thought this might bring out some interesting discussion and is aimed at the folks that are against the slushbox and tend to diss the normally aspirated Cooper. So which would you choose the 5-speed manual Cooper or the new automatic S?

Old 12-11-2004, 06:21 AM
Audioman
4th Gear
Manual=Driving

Auto=Riding

Old 12-11-2004, 12:32 PM
satay-ayam
5th Gear
Originally Posted by z3bum
People tell me that it is easier to drive in heavy traffic with an automatic... that's total BS
Have you ever driven in heavy traffic? I have, and boy, after 4 hours being stuck in stop and go in Chicago (and I mean "driving" the entire time) the other week, I'm not buyin' what you're sellin' Spend 4 hours creeping your car 10 feet at a time and then stopping for 30 seconds, and you'd probably change your tune, too

But I'm not one to comment because I've owned probably 15 cars and they've ALL been manual transmissions, but I don't have any overwhelming bias against slushboxes. Sure, I wouldn't buy one in a "fun" car, but I don't care if someone else does - and even I'm thinking that we'll replace our daily driver Civic with something that has a slushbox... maybe.

Old 12-11-2004, 12:38 PM
jazmini
4th Gear
I would pick the 5-speed MC -- if my knees were not bad and I did not live in a big city with heavy stop and go traffic (for 2 days last week on my normal morning commute, it took an extra half hour each time due to accidents; then on Friday's afternoon commute, it was an extra hour, with that familiar stop-go-stop-go, etc -- just awful!).

If you wait til 2007, the 5-speed MC will have 140 hp, which makes the difference between the MC and MCS smaller. I wonder if the internals on the two engines will be the same or different like they are now? Probably different since the CVT MC will still have 115 hp and there will probably still be a non Cooper MINI too.

Old 12-11-2004, 05:25 PM
Wiggles
4th Gear
With a 5 spd. you drive the car, with an auto you just steer it.
I'm a driver!

Old 12-11-2004, 05:39 PM
Killerbee
3rd Gear
Strange question...why the Cooper manual instead of the S manual? If price is not a determining factor (S automatic) why not get the more powerful engine. The 05 S Manual has improved gearing...give it a try. I am not knocking the Cooper as I loved mine for 2 and a half years but if money is not a problem...get the S.

Old 12-11-2004, 05:47 PM
chs4
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Wiggles
With a 5 spd. you drive the car, with an auto you just steer it.
I'm a driver!
"No, officer, I was not driving over the speed limit...I was merely STEERING. As you can see I have a "slushbox" and from what I've read I have virtually no control over my vehicle once I've turned the key."

Old 12-11-2004, 10:21 PM
z3bum
5th Gear
Well, I drove a manual for eight years on I495 around DC, 27 miles would take about an hour and twenty minutes in the evening... It's not fun, but it's alot more entertaining than just steering. And yes, I quit my job, started my own business and use public transportation to go to projects now... the MINI gets driven for errands and fun! Like today!

Originally Posted by satay-ayam
Have you ever driven in heavy traffic? I have, and boy, after 4 hours being stuck in stop and go in Chicago (and I mean "driving" the entire time) the other week, I'm not buyin' what you're sellin' Spend 4 hours creeping your car 10 feet at a time and then stopping for 30 seconds, and you'd probably change your tune, too

But I'm not one to comment because I've owned probably 15 cars and they've ALL been manual transmissions, but I don't have any overwhelming bias against slushboxes. Sure, I wouldn't buy one in a "fun" car, but I don't care if someone else does - and even I'm thinking that we'll replace our daily driver Civic with something that has a slushbox... maybe.

Old 12-11-2004, 10:31 PM
lotsie
Banned
[QUOTE=jazmini

If you wait til 2007, the 5-speed MC will have 140 hp, which makes the difference between the MC and MCS smaller. I wonder if the internals on the two engines will be the same or different like they are now? Probably different since the CVT MC will still have 115 hp and there will probably still be a non Cooper MINI too.[/QUOTE] By then a MCS may be pushing 240 hp

Old 12-11-2004, 10:39 PM
Wiggles
4th Gear
Originally Posted by chs4
"No, officer, I was not driving over the speed limit...I was merely STEERING. As you can see I have a "slushbox" and from what I've read I have virtually no control over my vehicle once I've turned the key."

Exactly!

Old 12-11-2004, 10:53 PM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by chs4

Just one more reason that everyone PAY ATTENTION while driving

Old 12-12-2004, 03:25 AM
Kohu'ulaMINI
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Cooper4us
So let me ask you fellow motorers... If the MINI ONE Diesel model was available in the US, those people opting for a slower but torquier diesel engine would also be less "Enthusiastic" and less of a "Motorer"?? Me thinks not...
If the MINI ONE was available in the U.S., I would buy one so I can pull my race trailer of wheels, race tires, and my MINI Cooper 5-speed

It wouldn't be fair to judge the new MCS Auto until I finally Motor in one
Nothing wrong about dreaming of being an F1 driver with paddle
(automatic) shifters

Old 12-14-2004, 08:33 PM
MINI Monkey
5th Gear
I go with a manual cooper.

Old 12-15-2004, 05:28 AM
zfxr
5th Gear
Wait- Minihune you went from a Caravan to an MCS ?!?!?!?!

The manual is the way to go, but if you cannot drive a manual (ex. physical reasons), the auto is a nice alternative.

Old 12-15-2004, 07:51 PM
115hp
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Killerbee
Strange question...why the Cooper manual instead of the S manual? If price is not a determining factor (S automatic) why not get the more powerful engine.
This thread was meant primarily for S owners, some of whom want to keep the S exclusive by keeping it a manual only, and perhaps some who snobbishly look down upon the Cooper. Maybe the thread should've read "S-holes : If you had to give up your 6-speed, would you settle for the auto-S or would you prefer the 5-speed Cooper?"

An auto S will only be marginally faster than the 5-speed Cooper in most city driving conditions (under 50 mph). If the primary reason for getting an automatic is for annoying stop and go-type driving conditions why would one need the extra power of a supercharged engine? It's another story on the highway, the auto S would smoke the Cooper.

Last edited by 115hp; 12-15-2004 at 07:53 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 12-15-2004, 08:23 PM
tattman23
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This thread was meant primarily for S owners, some of whom want to keep the S exclusive by keeping it a manual only, and perhaps some who snobbishly look down upon the Cooper. Maybe the thread should've read "S-holes : If you had to give up your 6-speed, would you settle for the auto-S or would you prefer the 5-speed Cooper?"
<major chuckle> I luv that - "Don't be an S-Hole!" I wish I had thought of it.

Until my (delivery in January) car shows up and demonstrates her personality, her name will (ironically) be "Patience",
Tatt

Old 12-15-2004, 08:52 PM
z3bum
5th Gear
My little Cooper will take on auto-Ss at the track any day. I just don't trust automatics! If I had an S with a six speed and had to give it up, choosing only an auto-S or 5 speed Cooper, I would be willing to give up some power to get the manual transmission. In reality, I don't think any MINIs should come with automatics, people should learn how to drive stick in order to drive a MINI! But, that's just me, being all fanatic about manual transmissions. If I ever grow up, have a family and some kids, you can bet they won't know what automatics are and will be forced to learn stick. And, IMHO, women who can drive a stick shift car... very, very sexy!

An auto S will only be marginally faster than the 5-speed Cooper in most city driving conditions (under 50 mph). If the primary reason for getting an automatic is for annoying stop and go-type driving conditions why would one need the extra power of a supercharged engine? It's another story on the highway, the auto S would smoke the Cooper.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Enthusiasts (elitists?): Manual Cooper or Auto S?