R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Once again I'm reminded at the horrible $ to HP ratio for Mini Mods

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2019 | 12:36 PM
knt
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by BlwnAway
Look Good:'05 JCW Cabrio, Pure Silver, Drag DR11 Gun Metal Grey wheels
Handle Better:H Sport Springs, Koni Yellows, H Sport 25mm Rear Sway bar
Go Faster:Forged & Bal internals, Cstm Garret GTX2867r conversion, TPR2rT Head W/ Match Ported Intake Manifold, TPR/ACG, TPR Mid Range Cam, Aquamist W/M 75:25 mix, Zex Notorious, 650cc Injectors, Byteronik F/A software & Tune, 7800 Red Line(Thanks to Chad for the original work and continued support.).
Looks like yours wasn't cheap to get you where you are now .

Old 11-28-2019 | 01:23 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Originally Posted by knt
Looks like yours wasn't cheap to get you where you are now .
No, and that's sort of to my point.

​​​​​​I'd rather spend the extra money to be the "one" guy with the 300+ HP Mini, than save a little to be one of the "ten" guys with a 600 HP Mustang, Camaro or Challenger.

But that's just me, nothing wrong with either.

Old 11-28-2019 | 04:34 PM
IQRaceworks
|
6th Gear
I think that if there were better/more tunning solutions out there ....you would see a lot more people making big power with turbos on these things........but having to pay $600-$1000 just for custom tuning is crazy (assuming you don't live close to the couple of guys that can tune these...and have to do it remotely on a Dyno).

If there were user friendly tuning software readily available (like HPtuners for GMs) where people could tune their own cars....it would be great! It should tell you something when there only a handful (or less) of people that are good at tuning the r53's.

In my opinion...that's what is holding the R53 platform back....lack of tuning options.

Old 11-28-2019 | 07:23 PM
OCR
5th Gear
After reading all of this thread...you guys just don't understand tuning...of any kind..! One or two have some grasp on the subject, but...

There ISN'T...75 fuel maps...it's ONE map with 75 hex cells..! You know what a hex cell is..? Same with the timing map. It's ONE...map..!

Mike

Old 11-28-2019 | 08:06 PM
IQRaceworks
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by OCR
After reading all of this thread...you guys just don't understand tuning...of any kind..! One or two have some grasp on the subject, but...

There ISN'T...75 fuel maps...it's ONE map with 75 hex cells..! You know what a hex cell is..? Same with the timing map. It's ONE...map..!

Mike
Yep. And there is also no way that one person can squeeze an extra 40hp out of a motor just with tuning when the best guy in the US (Jan) can't do it.......like I said, something doesn't add up.

If there is an R53 out there with nothing but a pulley, intake, and injectors (and tune) making 240hp.....it will be the first one in the history of R53's.

Old 11-29-2019 | 01:41 AM
adriancl
4th Gear
Here only 6 fuel maps,
basic value of cranking injection
fuel load enrichment factor for injection
initialization value of post start enrichment factor
correction factor for the basic inj time
initialization value of post start enrichment factor
injector dead time correction

But as as I wrote before,there are a lot of maps must be moded.Just few names here:
indiacated engine torque at reference conditions
maximum torque at clutch
reduced area at the throttle
boost for tps opening to 90° in case of high gear engaged
tia factor for maf_max
positive torque curve for manual transmission
mapping for cylinder air temperature calculation,
maf_scha correcting efficiency factor

I don't use Bytertronik sw, because is full of mistakes, bad maps names, bad unit on maps values,miss a lot of important maps.I use Winols editor for my tunes.
I honestly don't understand why if -I quote-the best guy in the US (Jan) can't do it-there can be no tuner oversee(mean Europe) who can do a good tune to add 40hp on a R53 NCS.
No offence , but sw tuning is not is not an American specialty,best sw tuners can find in Europe.Who says that R53 tuning mean only mod on fuel and spark never studied the documents that were the basis of the software design.
Attach only the Torque management doc for EMS2000.

Attached Files
File Type: rar
CHAP Torque .rar (379.4 KB, 44 views)
The following users liked this post:
RIPPER (02-06-2022)
Old 11-29-2019 | 05:44 AM
IQRaceworks
|
6th Gear
Guys are litterly spending thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars to make a legitimate 240hp mini.....but you can do it with a pulley, intake, and tune? It doesn't make sense....

​​​​​​Like I said.....you should come to the US and start a mini tuning business...you will make millions tuning for the guys who race these things.

Have you ever had your car on a different Dyno? I'm guessing that the one you are using is off....either using some oddball correction values, or something else is going on.

Old 11-29-2019 | 06:10 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
much cheaper tunes from europe now, because they can do it with a cheap cable and mpps instead of that damned vin lock 300 $ box.

adriancl, do you know if the r53 stock tune has torque limits in 1st and 2nd gear? I think my tunes limit the throttle body opening until 3rd gear (manual transmission). when I autocross it's all in 2nd gear

as for the dyno difference europe uses crank hp, not wheel hp.

Old 11-29-2019 | 06:24 AM
IQRaceworks
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MrBlah
much cheaper tunes from europe now, because they can do it with a cheap cable and mpps instead of that damned vin lock 300 $ box.

adriancl, do you know if the r53 stock tune has torque limits in 1st and 2nd gear? I think my tunes limit the throttle body opening until 3rd gear (manual transmission). when I autocross it's all in 2nd gear

That explains the 240hp r53 with just a pulley, intake, and tune

Old 11-29-2019 | 06:54 AM
sevin
6th Gear
Adrian, what does a stock R53 look like on your dyno?

Old 11-29-2019 | 12:17 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by knt
Just to clarify as I can't see the chart properly.

Is it measured at the wheels or crank?
The chart says "Max Leistung am Rad" (translates to power at the wheel) 175.9 PS.
The blue line on the graph is power at the wheel.

What we really need to see is charts from the same dyno before and after tuning for comparison.

Andy_S (11-29-2019)
Old 11-30-2019 | 09:42 AM
adriancl
4th Gear

Torque limiter does not depend on gear engaged, but there is a map fot throttle opening depends on gear.Maybe your tune is bad moded .If you have your mod file, i can look at it,free charge of course.
All dynos show power on wheel and crankshaft.But manufacturer data give only crankshaft power.
Most of those who tune their car, make the HW mods first, and after that look for a tuned file.Just only one of my tunes have both dyno test,stock car 153HP and after tune 187HP, original injectors 320cc , SC pulley 15%, cold air filter from K&N.Car was R53 MCS from 2003.Mileage around 115.000miles.I tuned also few MCS R53 in US,but owners have not tested the engine power before and after tune.Anyway, I agree, not all dynos show same result, sometime can be lower or higher.Best way is to do the dyno test outside the tuner garage, because -is the case of East Europe tuners-tuner have a list with power gain, and he can adjust the dyno settings to get the perfect result.That why i use a test from independent dynos.
For me the most important thing is the big smile of the car owner after tuned car test.

RIPPER (02-06-2022)
Old 11-30-2019 | 10:46 AM
IQRaceworks
|
6th Gear
I'm confused. The other post you said you made 236hp on a pulley, intake, and tune.

And now you are saying you made 187hp on pulley, intake, and tune.

Which is it?

Old 11-30-2019 | 08:52 PM
adriancl
4th Gear
236hp is for 380cc injectors and MS5150 facelift ECU.
187hp is for stock 320cc injectors,EMS2000 prefacelift ECU.

Old 11-30-2019 | 10:50 PM
alconk
4th Gear
Hello I’m not hi jacking this thread and have read it all to this point because I need a tune and don’t know where to turn to. Who is this “Jan” I read about and where can he be reached at. Thanks

Old 12-01-2019 | 03:10 AM
knt
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by alconk
Hello I’m not hi jacking this thread and have read it all to this point because I need a tune and don’t know where to turn to. Who is this “Jan” I read about and where can he be reached at. Thanks
I think "Jan" is from Revolution Motor Works (I think).

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...tor-works.html

http://store-revolutionmini-com.3dcartstores.com/

http://www.revolutionmini.com/?page_id=40

and MarioKart also does tuning.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...mariokart.html

Hoping I've haven't got it mixed up like the 1st one I did.

Last edited by knt; 12-01-2019 at 03:49 AM.
Old 12-02-2019 | 11:22 AM
Blue R50
3rd Gear
There just simply is nothing cheap about these cars except for how they were made. As much as I would like to do upgrades to mine, I am stuck trying to fix the basics and attempting to source used parts as much as possible. When a power window motor on a subcompact costs $180, there's a problem. I find my R50 likable, even lovable, but when BMW refuses to sell me internal transmission parts or provide me with torque specs for it because "we only sell whole transmissions", I know that I won't ever buy a new one. It's a fun toy as a second car, but I simply cannot afford to spend the kind of money necessary to use ANY BMW product as a primary car. BMW's policies and prices have ruined any good will the brand once had with most buyers and that is part of the reason they are struggling today.

Old 12-02-2019 | 11:35 AM
sevin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Blue R50
There just simply is nothing cheap about these cars except for how they were made. As much as I would like to do upgrades to mine, I am stuck trying to fix the basics and attempting to source used parts as much as possible. When a power window motor on a subcompact costs $180, there's a problem. I find my R50 likable, even lovable, but when BMW refuses to sell me internal transmission parts or provide me with torque specs for it because "we only sell whole transmissions", I know that I won't ever buy a new one. It's a fun toy as a second car, but I simply cannot afford to spend the kind of money necessary to use ANY BMW product as a primary car. BMW's policies and prices have ruined any good will the brand once had with most buyers and that is part of the reason they are struggling today.
You can buy internal transmission parts from Allmag.

Blue R50 (12-02-2019)
Old 12-02-2019 | 12:03 PM
IQRaceworks
|
6th Gear
Honestly, I've never had an issue with plain old replacement parts......I've found that as long as you shop online (rock auto), most stuff can be had for pretty cheap.

I have a issue with the aftermarket performance parts.....they are crazy expensive (including the custom tunes you need to get everything to work).

I've got over 170K miles on my R53..and it's still chugging along just fine. No major issues.....I just keep up with the regulator maintenance. I had to replace the clutch last year, but other than that....no issues.

RIPPER (02-06-2022)
Old 12-02-2019 | 04:57 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
bmw does not make the transmission, nor is it something the dealers would ever open up to service, dealers just dont do that kind of work they swap out the whole transmission.

my experience with bmw has been the opposite, I can get parts for my 1976 2002 from the dealer, same for e30's and e36. They have a excellent classic parts catalog! They are also very easy to work on, I just swapped the engine in a 2009 E82 128i last weekend, with the TIS all free now it's very easy.

Old 12-02-2019 | 05:06 PM
IQRaceworks
|
6th Gear
bmw does not make the transmission, nor is it something the dealers would ever open up to service, dealers just dont do that kind of work they swap out the whole transmission.

my experience with bmw has been the opposite, I can get parts for my 1976 2002 from the dealer, same for e30's and e36. They have a excellent classic parts catalog! They are also very easy to work on, I just swapped the engine in a 2009 E82 128i last weekend, with the TIS all free now it's very easy.
I agree. Replacement parts are cheap and easy to get.

But when I can buy a Pair of brodix CNC'd aluminum race heads for an V8 LS motor for $2,000.......but a performance head for a mini Cooper r53 coats $2,500++ something is wrong.

You want an LS tunned? Ok...$250. A mini R53 tuned??......that's $350 for the OBD adapter, $350 for the tune, and $100++ for the Dyno time.

You want a Chevy v8 camshaft? $150...and you gain 80hp. You want an R53 camshaft? $360+ and you might gain 10hp.

etc, etc, etc .....stuff is just too expensive for the power you get. You are money ahead to put a small 25hp motorcycle type nitrous kit on the car ....you just spend $500 instead of $2,000++ for that 25hp (assuming you already have a pulley).

RIPPER (02-06-2022)
Old 12-02-2019 | 05:30 PM
Blue R50
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by sevin
You can buy internal transmission parts from Allmag.
Thanks! When I initially built my Getrag 5 speed, I couldn't find any information or suppliers so I had to resort to eBay for the parts. I will look them up for when I finally find a 6 speed setup at LKQ.

Old 12-02-2019 | 06:46 PM
veedubpat
4th Gear
Originally Posted by IQRaceworks
I agree. Replacement parts are cheap and easy to get.

But when I can buy a Pair of brodix CNC'd aluminum race heads for an V8 LS motor for $2,000.......but a performance head for a mini Cooper r53 coats $2,500++ something is wrong.

You want an LS tunned? Ok...$250. A mini R53 tuned??......that's $350 for the OBD adapter, $350 for the tune, and $100++ for the Dyno time.

You want a Chevy v8 camshaft? $150...and you gain 80hp. You want an R53 camshaft? $360+ and you might gain 10hp.

etc, etc, etc .....stuff is just too expensive for the power you get. You are money ahead to put a small 25hp motorcycle type nitrous kit on the car ....you just spend $500 instead of $2,000++ for that 25hp (assuming you already have a pulley).
Supply and Demand...

Low demand = low supply = high cost per unit

Old 12-02-2019 | 07:47 PM
jcolletteiii
6th Gear
Find a local machine shop and take your head in for a port/polish and valve job. Have them deck the head and put in the larger intake or exhaust valves you want. Should cost less than a remanufactured performance head online. Next time my head gets pulled for work, it's going in for this treatment.

RIPPER (02-06-2022)
Old 12-02-2019 | 08:00 PM
IQRaceworks
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jcolletteiii
Find a local machine shop and take your head in for a port/polish and valve job. Have them deck the head and put in the larger intake or exhaust valves you want. Should cost less than a remanufactured performance head online. Next time my head gets pulled for work, it's going in for this treatment.
Not sure I would trust any old machine shop to custom port my R53 head.....but sure, it's an option.

But remember.....after the port and valve job, now you need a custom tune. And if you don't live close to the handful of guys in the us that can tune an R53....get ready to dish out $800-ish for a remote Dyno tune.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Once again I'm reminded at the horrible $ to HP ratio for Mini Mods