R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 4-2-1 HEADERS ?! ANYONE TRIED This?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2021 | 08:19 PM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Serafin
i have cat cam installed why i needed the 4-2-1 to compensate for the low end. But no top end is great. Also have bytetronik tune and 550s
I have too cam (ns1) so I didn't knowtice any low end loss, bvh , 550s and every single bolt on and ported manifold and even ported the aftermarket header flanges.

Old 02-02-2021 | 03:49 AM
Serafin
|
5th Gear
Then you’re all set ! Enjoy

Old 02-02-2021 | 05:48 AM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
i have cat cam installed why i needed the 4-2-1 to compensate for the low end. But no top end is great. Also have bytetronik tune and 550s
Which Cat Cam, 469? What made you go with a Cat Cam over the others and how do you like it?

Old 02-02-2021 | 07:23 AM
Serafin
|
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniManAdam
I have too cam (ns1) so I didn't knowtice any low end loss, bvh , 550s and every single bolt on and ported manifold and even ported the aftermarket header flanges.
I had a great deal lol. But i haven’t tried any other cams. Just did some research and compared snd 469 seems to have great reviews.

Old 02-03-2021 | 07:05 PM
MINI_42
4th Gear
I'm gonna jump in here as I'm looking for an exhaust now. My flex pipe started leaking dang it.

Old 02-03-2021 | 09:36 PM
MINI_42
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Oldboy Speedwell
This was one of those things that I was holding off on due to expense and I need quite a few other things that take precedence over headers.

Keeping tabs on the price and it seems to have recently gone up again on the catted version --- I can only guess they get more expensive from the rising cost of precious metals in the cat?

Browsing the ebay last night noticed a listing for a new uninstalled unit and it was actually a fair asking price with buy-it-now but I'm pinched thin at the moment until next week so I threw an offer in on it which was countered and then I countered the counter and that was accepted.

I'm really stoked!

Mate I'm inspired as my flex pipe is shot on mine. Is this the same thing you just got, it looks the same with the exception the cat pipe is unavailable, so it will be the short, straight pipe if I order it. Which is okay with me as mine is missing the cat anyway. $500 all in seems like a good deal to me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scorpion-Or...AAAOSwHdJf9Ybu

Old 02-04-2021 | 05:16 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINI_42
Mate I'm inspired as my flex pipe is shot on mine. Is this the same thing you just got, it looks the same with the exception the cat pipe is unavailable, so it will be the short, straight pipe if I order it. Which is okay with me as mine is missing the cat anyway. $500 all in seems like a good deal to me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scorpion-Or...AAAOSwHdJf9Ybu

That's it.

Also glad you linked to a cool supplier like Orranje because they've done much for the MINI community.

I try to support them whenever I can, but I'm also on a tight budget so have to be keen on price points --- it's a balancing act.

Also,
I learned that it is better to contact them directly and I think that they actually prefer that because ebay seller fees are stupid --- they will also usually get the postal rate down as best they can compared to the generic ebay quote price for p&p which is usually on the high side for UK-to-US goods.

https://orranje.co.uk/shop-by-brand/...old-de-cat-cat

Recently when I was looking it seems most places are out-of-stock, so there'd be a waiting period if ordered (unless you can confirm that the supplier has it in stock and on hand) while Scorpion manufactures new units --- that's another reason why I was so stoked to find it from a private seller on ebay.

Been watching the mailbox but it still ain't arrived yet.

On the budget tip, I've found Demon Tweeks to be exceedingly competitive:

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/us/scor...at-scosmnc014/

They get some flack for being a big-box Wal Mart style joint but I used to get mailorder paper catalogs from them back in the day so I have a romantic nostalgia for them.

Their customer service is top shelf too --- recently I ordered some VibraTechnics mounts from them and had delivery tracking problems when my parcel was very late in arrival, I was very worried that it had been lost in the mail, contacted them with my concerns and they were immediately responsive doing everything they could in attempt to resolve the issue.

Turns out it was held up in customs and it finally made its way to me.

So,
first choice would be to get it from Orranje.

But if money is tight might be better suited to go with demon-tweeks or similar supplier.

Last edited by Oldboy Speedwell; 02-04-2021 at 05:21 AM.
Old 02-04-2021 | 03:32 PM
MINI_42
4th Gear

That's it.

Also glad you linked to a cool supplier like Orranje because they've done much for the MINI community.

I try to support them whenever I can, but I'm also on a tight budget so have to be keen on price points --- it's a balancing act.

Also,
I learned that it is better to contact them directly and I think that they actually prefer that because ebay seller fees are stupid --- they will also usually get the postal rate down as best they can compared to the generic ebay quote price for p&p which is usually on the high side for UK-to-US goods.

https://orranje.co.uk/shop-by-brand/...old-de-cat-cat

Recently when I was looking it seems most places are out-of-stock, so there'd be a waiting period if ordered (unless you can confirm that the supplier has it in stock and on hand) while Scorpion manufactures new units --- that's another reason why I was so stoked to find it from a private seller on ebay.

Been watching the mailbox but it still ain't arrived yet.

On the budget tip, I've found Demon Tweeks to be exceedingly competitive:

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/us/scor...at-scosmnc014/

They get some flack for being a big-box Wal Mart style joint but I used to get mailorder paper catalogs from them back in the day so I have a romantic nostalgia for them.

Their customer service is top shelf too --- recently I ordered some VibraTechnics mounts from them and had delivery tracking problems when my parcel was very late in arrival, I was very worried that it had been lost in the mail, contacted them with my concerns and they were immediately responsive doing everything they could in attempt to resolve the issue.

Turns out it was held up in customs and it finally made its way to me.

So,
first choice would be to get it from Orranje.

But if money is tight might be better suited to go with demon-tweeks or similar supplier.
Wow great advice thank you mate! I did email Orranje and am waiting further information, and demon tweeks is on my radar too now, thank you!

I originally took my R53 to an exhaust place and left it with him. He called me later to tell me that it was missing the cat and it would cost $2500 to fix the leaky flex pipe. Only because he was going to replace the "whole system". I think he meant just this pipe. So I was a bit miffed and all the research led me to this thread, which yet again, NAM and its members wittingly and unwittingly come to the rescue with options and opinions on everything Mini and the sunset too.

I'm looking forward to getting this pipe replaced.

I'm concerned about the bolts at the head breaking off. What is the consensus about avoiding this? Plenty of PB blaster? WD 40? Several days to soak? Or a couple of hours in a heated garage?

Thoughts, comments and trash talk always appreciated!

Thanks for all the awesome info,

Mike

Old 02-05-2021 | 06:01 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
I've only changed out one exhaust manifold in my entire life and it was on a 1986 Saab 900 Turbo where I swapped custom headers for the stock cast iron unit and didn't have any problems at all, that said though, would love to hear any hints and tips from people who've done this on an R53 about possible problems to look out for because I'm gonna install mine fairly soon.

:

As far as trash talk LOL a bit of advice: don't call Oli at Orranje a rotten pommy bastard!

:

Seriously though,
if interested,
here's an interesting video that Tweedbean recently made regarding the history of Orranje:

He has loads of great viddies and posts here on NAM every now and then too.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...tweedbean.html

Good stuff.

Old 02-05-2021 | 07:43 AM
Serafin
|
5th Gear
It’s really easy. Make sure your car is on a lift or up on all 4. I did mine on jackstands. Also you have to trim or bend the heat shield to fit some people leave it off i like to keep mine. 7 or 8 bolts total.

unbolt the cat first.

Old 02-05-2021 | 09:04 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
We can get all the scorpion as we are the US distributor, guys at Orranje are cool, & great for the UK market, the header is on back order right now. If you can grab one is the USA second hand that will work. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-scorpion...t/smnx014~sci/

Decat is on this site: https://www.turnermotorsport.com/Sea...&Ntt=+SMNC014+

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-05-2021 | 01:53 PM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
It’s really easy. Make sure your car is on a lift or up on all 4. I did mine on jackstands. Also you have to trim or bend the heat shield to fit some people leave it off i like to keep mine. 7 or 8 bolts total.

unbolt the cat first.

Thanks Serafin!

Originally Posted by ECSTuning
We can get all the scorpion as we are the US distributor, guys at Orranje are cool, & great for the UK market, the header is on back order right now. If you can grab one is the USA second hand that will work. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-scorpion...t/smnx014~sci/

Thanks Mike!

Y'all are cool too and I throw a good bit of business to ECS.

In large part due to your valuable presence here, I really appreciate all the help you constantly offer, as well as your personal anecdotes from being a long term MINI enthusiast and all around goodguyness.

Also,
the ECS shop is awesome and I often use it for reference because it's easy to find proper part numbers, so simple in fact that I prefer using it over realoem usually.

:

:

Well,
my headers arrived today but as sometimes happens when you buy secondhand goods, a couple of small parts are missing...

...in my case it's these 2 gaskets,
#5 in the diagram:

4-2-1 HEADERS ?! ANYONE TRIED This?-drj1p8h.png

I'm wondering if they are a specific size or if I can just use stock MINI parts,
does anyone here know by chance?

This part says mid-pipe:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...e/18111170941/

Would it work for the Scorpion?

Old 02-06-2021 | 10:59 PM
Dan_in_WA
3rd Gear
If someone is interested in R&D on headers this site is worth a read.

http://headersbyed.com/

I ordered his information packet several years ago, and he mentions stuff I’d certainly never thought of but made sense when he explained it.

One example is where the four primary tubes come together at the bottom of the header, rather than fill the gap between the tubes, square those interior ends so the 4 tubes come together flush.

Old 02-07-2021 | 06:52 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
One thing I miss about my old Saab is actually seeing the exhaust manifold, it is hidden on the R53.

inline vs. transverse

Many a night after a hard run I would always pop the hood to look at them (old school turbos didn't like to be shut down immediately, it was wise to let them cool for a minute or two first).

Of course mine were never this intensely red hot, but if doing big boost pulls right before I got home, they would be noticeably glowing.

:

RE: my missing gaskets
reckon I'll throw in a couple of stock ones when I order the new manifold gasket (not genuine MINI because insane price!) but if they don't fit then I'll hit up a local mom 'n pop hotrod shop that's always been helpful with odds and ends so I could likely match it up for the right size...

...will be several weeks anyway until I'm able to install, will be on the road with work schedule booked up.

Old 02-07-2021 | 11:22 AM
Serafin
|
5th Gear

Thanks Serafin!

Thanks Mike!

Y'all are cool too and I throw a good bit of business to ECS.

In large part due to your valuable presence here, I really appreciate all the help you constantly offer, as well as your personal anecdotes from being a long term MINI enthusiast and all around goodguyness.

Also,
the ECS shop is awesome and I often use it for reference because it's easy to find proper part numbers, so simple in fact that I prefer using it over realoem usually.

:

:

Well,
my headers arrived today but as sometimes happens when you buy secondhand goods, a couple of small parts are missing...

...in my case it's these 2 gaskets,
#5 in the diagram:

I'm wondering if they are a specific size or if I can just use stock MINI parts,
does anyone here know by chance?

This part says mid-pipe:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...e/18111170941/

Would it work for the Scorpion?
I’m not sure but mine came with mine. They should fit. It’s just a flange gasket.

Old 02-09-2021 | 07:01 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Thanks for the kind words, love helping my fellow MINI owners. The rear gasket which's looks like the same for that midpipe connection should be the oem size as it can mate to the factory cat -back. 18111170941.. i can double check with scorpion

https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2005-...6A/Exhaust/OE/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-09-2021 | 10:00 AM
bump32
4th Gear
Header

Originally Posted by ECSTuning

I've been researching headers of late and this thread is great. THANKS
Couple Questions:
I've been looking at the OBX header and then having the OEM CAT welded to the flange. Pictures here:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...tml#post506420
I'm worried that this setup does not have a flex joint and with the roll of the engine... I might be cracking something sooner than later?
AND this is going to cost me some shop time/ welding and fitting so $400 plus
OR
Not messing around with welding and just get the Scorpion with the high flow CAT. This is $400 more but I can do the instal myself.
BUT will the Scorpion Header with the high flow CAT pass emissions? Or can I get a tune to pass Emissions?
Thanks in advance...

Old 09-09-2021 | 01:59 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bump32
I've been researching headers of late and this thread is great. THANKS
Couple Questions:
I've been looking at the OBX header and then having the OEM CAT welded to the flange. Pictures here:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...tml#post506420
I'm worried that this setup does not have a flex joint and with the roll of the engine... I might be cracking something sooner than later?
AND this is going to cost me some shop time/ welding and fitting so $400 plus
OR
Not messing around with welding and just get the Scorpion with the high flow CAT. This is $400 more but I can do the instal myself.
BUT will the Scorpion Header with the high flow CAT pass emissions? Or can I get a tune to pass Emissions?
Thanks in advance...
As far as the Flex Basket is concerned, the OBX uses a spring loaded donut gasket as it's Flex point, instead of a Flex Basket. The major difference is that while the Flex Basket will last longer overall, but... when it's done, it's done, you're welding a new one on, or replacing the header.
The donut gasket, on the other hand, may only last a year or so (OEM upper motor mount) it's a simple remove and replace for a couple of bucks for a donut from your local auto parts store.

The real secret to longevity, for either, is replacing the OEM Upper Motor Mount, with a better and stiffer aftermarket option, a donut gasket can last 2 years or more because of the overall more restrictive movement. Flex Baskets, while still lasting longer, will not last "that much" longer, since a good portion of their failure is due to heat cycling along with movement.

As for CAT's, my suggesting is still OEM, esp with Emissions for state inspection.
As far as I know, there no way to tune around or trick the factory ECU's O2 sensor readings, you may get lucky with O2 spacers, but it would be just that, luck. OEM CAT, do it once and your done, no having to put a bunch of effort to "try" and find a solution, that may actually not even be permanent due to changes in engine and exhaust wear over time.
Plus... You already have one.

Last edited by BlwnAway; 09-13-2021 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-13-2021 | 02:26 PM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
I too am running the xforce 421 headers but I opened up the flanges more... they really really made my exhaust sound better vs the standard header design that there is..they fit perfect , welds are great too.. absolutely awesome deal !
it also allows for a cat to be bolted behind it or run a catless midpipe like me and get the best out of them.

The following 2 users liked this post by MiniManAdam:
Andrew Riley (02-11-2022), Josie53 (08-15-2023)