R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Mini or Z4 ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 04:49 PM
NoFe2O3
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini or Z4 ?

After speccing out my Mini (MCSC with JCW engine kit), I realized that the price was approaching that of a number of other fine sports cars (especially if I were to get a 2-year old car of some other type). At this point, I'm seriously considering a 3-liter Z4 instead of the JCW MCSC. I've driven a 2.5-liter Z4, and a non-JCW MCSC. I was stunned by the smooth power and flawless handling of the Z4. It took quite a while for the adrenaline to wear off. On the other hand, I remember coming back from my MCSC test drive with a childish grin on my face. I didn't feel that adrenaline rush, but I just had the giggles.

So I'm really stumped right now.

Feedback / ideas ??

Old 12-17-2004, 04:59 PM
05JCWS
6th Gear
My friend has a 3.0liter Z4, and we like to tease each other. He has the Auto and not the manual version. Without talking about numbers, with the Z4 put into sport mode, I would say it has a slight edge seat of the pants wise over my JCW. It feels a little quicker (just a hair), and the handling in sport mode feels about the same. I know the numbers have the Z4 feeling a lot quicker, and maybe it is the auto, but it just doesn't feel a lot quicker. Definitely nowhere near what the numbers show from some magazines. With sport mode turned off, the feel of the Z4 is not as good as the JCW. The Z4 3.0 is quite a bit more money than the JCW, and has two seats, so it limits you some. So I guess it depends what you are looking for out of the car. The Z4 is a nice car, although some people hate the looks, but it is in a totally different class than the MCS and it is hard to compare it.

Old 12-17-2004, 05:03 PM
SCMCS
4th Gear
Sounds like for around the same price you can have a somewhat common car (Z4) or a real custom MCS JCW. All things being equal I would take the exclusivity route and get the MCSJCW.

Old 12-17-2004, 05:24 PM
minibrute
4th Gear
mini or beemer?

I drive an mcs, while my car was been serviced I got a z4 loaner. I was lucky to get a loaded 3.0 z4, it was awsome. Two things I didn't care for was tramline felt hard and it was very thisty. I'm happy with my mcs, my best friend drives a 2.5 stick z4 and loves it. That z4 changed his life, the guy couldn't get a date to save his life driving his hyundai tiburun. He started driving the z4 and his female fortunes changed, Started getting dates on a regular basis. Now he's going with a great looking lady who happens to be a doctor. Lucky sonava. Well, my friend always points out that on the corvette adds they target the z4 for comparison. Honestly if I could afford a z4 3.0 I'd rather buy the new boxter s. God bless this country and all the choices we have.

Old 12-17-2004, 05:29 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
My mom has a Z4, which I've had the pleasure of driving many times. It is a great car, but not anywhere near as fun or flexible as the MCS. Trunk space is pretty good, but you have to really want a two-seater to be seriously considering the Z4. :smile:

You'll never stop smiling when you get your MINI! That, I can guarantee!

Clover

Old 12-17-2004, 05:30 PM
XAlfa
Banned
It looks like msrp on a 3.0 Z4 is over $40k. A JCW S comes in under $27k. Totally different price brackets. And I agree on going for the Boxster S if you have the coin and don't need the rear seat.

Old 12-17-2004, 05:31 PM
XAlfa
Banned
Of course the Elise would be my choice...

Old 12-17-2004, 05:40 PM
Herby74
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have driven my buddy's Z4 and prefer the feel of my MCS. It's not a 210 hp JCW, but it has been modified to about 180-185 hp (CAI, 15% pulley, ECU chip).......as well as a short shifter, rear sway bar and non-runflat tires......at less than half the cost of the JCW. I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything out there at a comparable price. In any event, you MUST test the JCW in order arrive at an informed conclusion. Be sure to try some twisties!

Old 12-17-2004, 06:03 PM
05JCWS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minibrute
I drive an mcs, while my car was been serviced I got a z4 loaner. I was lucky to get a loaded 3.0 z4, it was awsome. Two things I didn't care for was tramline felt hard and it was very thisty. I'm happy with my mcs, my best friend drives a 2.5 stick z4 and loves it. That z4 changed his life, the guy couldn't get a date to save his life driving his hyundai tiburun. He started driving the z4 and his female fortunes changed, Started getting dates on a regular basis. Now he's going with a great looking lady who happens to be a doctor. Lucky sonava. Well, my friend always points out that on the corvette adds they target the z4 for comparison. Honestly if I could afford a z4 3.0 I'd rather buy the new boxter s. God bless this country and all the choices we have.
So a Z4 gets chicks? Hmmmm! I need to get my brother to buy one then.

Old 12-17-2004, 06:15 PM
minibrute
4th Gear
Gets chicks

Well for my friend it did. Funny, he wanted an elise but didn't want to pay the dealer premium nor have to wait. I like the elise too but would rather drive the boxter s. No 2 seater for me at this point in life, when the time comes I'll be building a shelby.

Old 12-17-2004, 06:22 PM
chrisfb1
5th Gear
like the Z4.

like the body.
like the SMG
like tha look of the sharp interior.
Like my MINI too.

Two totally different cars.
as you can see, 1.6 to 3.0
two seats and four seats.

From a Cool factor, i would prefer a Z4,
From a practical factor, MINI is better.
If i have a choice again to pick another car, I will pick Z4 than the JCW MINI. Z4 got a lot of potential on mods too!

For the rest of the MINI owners, I'm big MINI fan and i spend way too much time with my MINI, but if i have the money for Z4, i will go for it. like i have said, two totally different cars.

Old 12-17-2004, 06:31 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
My Wanda is way more fun, on every level, than Mom's Z4! I would have an Elise, but I'd need a live-in mechanic to deal with the pricey servicing of the Lotus! EEEK!

I'll stick with the MINI, which gives more bang for the buck and which I think is much more attractive than the Bimmer, anyway!

Clover

Old 12-17-2004, 07:27 PM
Mini-///M
3rd Gear
Don't get the Z4 now. The new 3-series 3.0L is coming in the next year. Much more power and supposedly better gas mileage.

Then again you can get a low miles C5 vette convertible pretty cheap these days if you want a real sports car.

I'm kinda anti-Z4 because I think it's kinda a toy car. Other than my '05 JCW MCS I drive a '99 Dinan supercharged M coupe with tons of aftermarket stuff so I guess the Z4 just seems too prissy :-/

I still say wait a year and get a 400hp C6 Vette or maybe the Z4 then. With exchange rates the way they are though the Vette is going to be a bargian. Then factor in aftermarket vette stuff is generaly much cheaper (and usually works much better), and the vette will certainly get you more "chicks" if that is what you are after.

If I had to buy a 3rd open top car today in the price range it would be:
1. C6 Vette (or wait for Z06 7.0L 500hp YUM screw the top )
2. New SLK (DRIVE one these things are GREAT)
3. Elise
4. '05 MCSC JCW
5. 911 Cab (newest lowest mileage I could get)
6. Chrysler Crossfire Convertible SRT-6 (330hp)
.... (add here what you will of new SAAB 9-3's, slightly used Jags, old Jags, and old Porsches)
12. BMW Z4

If you haven't checked out that new SLK though you NEED to. Mercedes continues to far outsine BMW in the styling department and it's a pretty capable car too. If you stand next to both of them on the same day, and take test drives you'll walk away with the SLK no question.

The Crossfire is a darn cool car and the chasis is straight from the SLK so it isn't too shabby. I'd check this out if I were you.

Another consideration is service departments. For the past few years, as BMW's got Bangleized and fugly, the service departments have gone down the toilet. When I bring our Mercedes, Chevy's, Ford's, and Lexus in I'm amazed to see how much better the service experience is than at BMW. Mercedes trips over you, always has mercedes loaners (my dad brought his 740 into bmw after a 6 week wait for an appointment and got stuck in a Metro not too long back). Lexus does the same but they never break down. Chevy and Ford don't break down often and the people there don't want to see you so they at least fix your car and get you out the door quickly. BMW seems to not mind you waiting and they tend not to do stuff right the first time.

I realize that this isn't every BMW dealership but with my family's cars we are talking about visiting 20+ dealerships. I've been to 6 BMW/MINI dealerships with my cars over the past 3 years and the only good experience I've had is at Nick Alexander in LA. Something to consider.

Old 12-17-2004, 09:13 PM
LagunaSol
4th Gear
Well, since the Z4 looks like a really bad kit car, I say go MINI.

Old 12-17-2004, 09:37 PM
MyPocketRocket
6th Gear
Z4 is ugly! MINI is sexy!

Old 12-17-2004, 10:03 PM
GrumpyGills
1st Gear
I had the same problem. Once the mini's all tricked out it's ++$. I covet the Z3 coupe hardtop. I think it looks predatory and prehistoric! Used would be about 1/3 more than the mini but... The more I ruminated the more I wanted fun and the mini is pure fun. It doesn't take itself seriously like a sportscar will and it will always make me smile. You have to figure out what your gut wants. Sexy power or fun (subtle power)

Old 12-22-2004, 12:58 AM
EdMC40
Neutral
Helllloooo

Well Z4 3.0 or Mini COOP?
All up to you, as for some input, I've had the pleasure to drive (somewhat) both. My parents bought (close) to both. 2001 Z3 3.0, and a 2004 Mini Cooper S non-jcw.

Anyways, u want to go fast in a straight line, and u only have these two options? Z3 (or in your case, Z4). You want to have fun in the backroad canyons and take the corners? Mini Cooper. I've tried both cars in both conditions, and I ended up with this conclusion. In a straight line, the mini cooper sounds really nice, but the sheer power of inline six-iness does it in. and the 1/4 and 0-60's time prove it. even with JCW.

However, Z3 on the canyons? I'm just didn't get into it. Maybe it being rwd, who knows. Take the mini, and its a jewel. I drive it on the canyon, and i'm whispering in my head "Don't worry, it's a mini...a little bit faster for this one..."

I know i know, its a z4 not a z3. Improved handling with new years....Test drive that MC and the Z4 in the canyons and figure it out!

Old 12-22-2004, 01:03 AM
MINIMINA
2nd Gear
the z4 is pretty nice but the z3 M/// coupe is awesome

Old 12-22-2004, 05:51 AM
minimotorin
6th Gear
My mother has a brand new Z4 and it's very nice but it's not for me. I feel a little like a Biff (said threw the teeth) driving it. In the MINI I just smile.

Old 12-22-2004, 06:20 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rusty (not),

Hey if it's a chopped top MCS or a Z4, there should be no comparison. One is designed as a roadster, the other is making do with substantial reinforcement of its unibody once the structural integrity has been compromised by removal of the stressed roofline. If you can make the payments, afford the insurance premiums, fuel and maintenance (remember BMW stands for Broke My Wallet) go for the Zedster.