R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 R53 Street/Track Build - Let the TVS 900 Journey Begin!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 11:45 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 265 Likes on 211 Posts
ohh sorry I thought you were in nc must be one of the other posters in the thread

Old 07-30-2020, 12:11 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
alan why does your trans sound like it has straight cut gears?

Old 07-30-2020, 05:16 PM
putttn
5th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by MrBlah
you need to take me for a ride in the car so I can feel what a full rmw/tvs engine is like, we are going up to burkes garden and botd saturday
just got mine back today after changing my TPR2 head NS1 cam to the RMW head and the Dominator cam. Also went to the 55mm pulley as well as 2% ATI. Whole different beast.
I’d love to go to e85 but there is nothing sold in our area.

Old 07-30-2020, 07:54 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Originally Posted by putttn
just got mine back today after changing my TPR2 head NS1 cam to the RMW head and the Dominator cam. Also went to the 55mm pulley as well as 2% ATI. Whole different beast.
I’d love to go to e85 but there is nothing sold in our area.
are you gonna have a before/after dyno? those two head/cam combo's should be reasonably close, although i think the TPR2R is the equivalent to the rmw head.

why only a dominator with that head?

Old 07-31-2020, 04:47 AM
putttn
5th Gear
are you gonna have a before/after dyno? those two head/cam combo's should be reasonably close, although i think the TPR2R is the equivalent to the rmw head.
why only a dominator with that head?
Dont have the comparison. Went with the Dominator on recommendations from a few members and we felt it would best suit my driving style. I think you are correct in that the TPR2R is more comparable to the RMW. Also went with the RMW belt tensioner. I’ll run this for awhile and see how I like it and at some point may go up in cam or not.

Old 07-31-2020, 06:03 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
I love my dominator but I think it's more suited for a stock head like I have. I put a PH3 in my jcw and I like it more, but the idle and off idle response is not very good I might try a ph 3/4 next

Old 07-31-2020, 08:42 AM
putttn
5th Gear
I love my dominator but I think it's more suited for a stock head like I have. I put a PH3 in my jcw and I like it more, but the idle and off idle response is not very good I might try a ph 3/4 next
Just driving it shortly yesterday and this morning (50 miles) I notice how much smoother the engine is running and a lot more power. Nice idle. I really like this cam compared to the NS1. If I do go up it will probably be the GrandAm cam.

Old 07-31-2020, 10:53 AM
Alan
4th Gear
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
alan why does your trans sound like it has straight cut gears?
Because it has straight cut gears with dog engagement.

Trans built by Drivesport with custom 6 speed gear set.

The following users liked this post:
Joshua P (08-02-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 11:11 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Just driving it shortly yesterday and this morning (50 miles) I notice how much smoother the engine is running and a lot more power. Nice idle. I really like this cam compared to the NS1. If I do go up it will probably be the GrandAm cam.
I think that is the same or basically the same as the newman PH3/4

Old 07-31-2020, 12:36 PM
Akumazeto
Banned
Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
I run the catcam 469 but will be going to a larger one soon. 450 high lift etc.

Old 07-31-2020, 01:35 PM
putttn
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Akumazeto
I run the catcam 469 but will be going to a larger one soon. 450 high lift etc.
Akumazeto...is yours a daily driver? How have you liked the 469 and why are you going up? Wish I had E85 in Spokane. Did you get Jan's setup for the E85?

Joshua P (05-24-2021)
Old 07-31-2020, 02:22 PM
Akumazeto
Banned
Its a fun toy car for me. I do drive it daily but I dont count on it if thats what you mean. Georoge/Mike can tell you about it. It will suite you well with peak torque at 5200 ish rpms. Its basically the same as the GrandAm from Jan I think. Moving up as I want a little more radical setup.

Old 07-31-2020, 03:10 PM
putttn
5th Gear
I think that is the same or basically the same as the newman PH3/4
Its a fun toy car for me. I do drive it daily but I dont count on it if thats what you mean. Georoge/Mike can tell you about it. It will suite you well with peak torque at 5200 ish rpms. Its basically the same as the GrandAm from Jan I think. Moving up as I want a little more radical setup.
are you running the Link setup?

Old 07-31-2020, 04:13 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
I am not, and the mini ecu does NOT like a ph3 cam until you are over 1500 rpm. I have the idle set at 1400 but it does not like to idle over 1200. it sure pulls hard to redline though, dyno in the fall

Old 07-31-2020, 04:24 PM
Akumazeto
Banned
are you running the Link setup?
yes as there is no point at this level to use stock. Dont get me wrong I did right up until I wanted e85. Mike said he wouldn't do a remote tune on e85 and with everything I had. Still good friends with the Bytetronik guys. I just wanted more than they could offer at this point. They to my knowledge cant run a flex setup. Its either one or the other and since e85 varies wildly from pump to pump I had to go. E85 by law has to be 50-83% ethanol. So without the flex sensor to blend the maps its pointless to me to do it. The only thing left that I could do on this setup would be the stroker kit as I wont give up AC for the FMIC. I have a BNR32 inbound so the Mini will likely get a tarp and go on the upper lift for storage.

There are more bench builders racers in this car scene than any other I have ever been in. I am a do'er I dont talk about building I do it.

Joshua P (09-13-2021)
Old 07-31-2020, 04:27 PM
Akumazeto
Banned
I am not, and the mini ecu does NOT like a ph3 cam until you are over 1500 rpm. I have the idle set at 1400 but it does not like to idle over 1200. it sure pulls hard to redline though, dyno in the fall
You are still on the stock head and m45 yes?

Old 08-25-2020, 06:08 AM
R53Vince
1st Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
*Update*
The GRS front mount is finished being built and will ship out tomorrow from the UK. Just installed a CSF radiator as well. The radiator is definitely an improvement. Track day last Sunday. Ambient temp was 85-90F. Oil temps were far better this time around and coolant temps were around 200F throughout a 20min session. Quicker recovery with high speed fan on during cool down lap. I have the peace of mind no longer running a 14 year old radiator as well. Pictures of the intercooler kit below and CSF rad installed. I have to sort out tuning at this point. I don't want to pay for a different ECU now. I typically get tunes from Jan that install via flash tool but that may not be possible as I don't think many people run this intercooler stateside. I've heard remote tuning with Jan could be possible. I live in New Hampshire. Not sure if there are any recommended tuners in the area. Main goal is to stick with the stock ECU until I replace the engine. I will call Jan soon to discuss options but I'm open to lower cost alternatives if anyone has recommendations. Thanks

Old 08-25-2020, 06:54 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
You are still on the stock head and m45 yes?
jcw head, I think we have the tune all dialed in, tuner had to reduce the throttle opening at lower rpm, dyno this winter

I'm using natase adrian for my tunes, you need a MPPS cable and a wideband 02 sensor, he does the tunes remote and it's quite reasonable

Old 08-25-2020, 05:46 PM
R53Vince
1st Gear
jcw head, I think we have the tune all dialed in, tuner had to reduce the throttle opening at lower rpm, dyno this winter

I'm using natase adrian for my tunes, you need a MPPS cable and a wideband 02 sensor, he does the tunes remote and it's quite reasonable
I heard about Adrian. I have an innovate wideband but not sure of the best place to purchase this MPPS cable? Is there anything else I would need?

Old 08-25-2020, 05:53 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Originally Posted by R53Vince
I heard about Adrian. I have an innovate wideband but not sure of the best place to purchase this MPPS cable? Is there anything else I would need?
I got my mpps adapter off ebay

I would also invest in a good data logger, there is a guy from spain his name is Filipe Frango that has one that logs quite a bit and can log wideband into the same log, you need a INPA odb2 cable and a usb to serial adapter for the innovate

I have not seen a better data logger, when jan did my remote tune all he used was a video of the wideband, now I can log wideband + individual spark corrections and all the other data points. It's not the fastest logger due to the r53 limitations but it works well enough

Old 08-25-2020, 05:54 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Old 08-25-2020, 06:34 PM
OCR
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts
I'm somewhat amazed, or did I miss it ?

From NASCAR, Indy Car, Drag Racing, most all forms of road racing, use one.
Did you install any form of windage tray ? This simple item keeps the sloshing oil out of the fast spinning crankshaft, and having it whipped into a foam ?
BUT also...in keeping the oil away from the crankshaft, where it will rob horsepower under turns, hard acceleration and for what it may be worth...braking. It was proven many years ago that oil getting into a spinning crank, robs power. How much depends on many things, RPM, crank stroke, quantity and viscosity of oil.
This is NOT the oil trap that keeps the oil around the pump pickup. That is a completely different thing, that does a completely different job.

Again, I see only one tray for sale on all of the various Mini sites, and it's just a simple, bottom of the line in detail tray, but better than nothing.

Does it show power increase on the dyno...of course not. Not unless you have a moving dyno..!
It's just simple, high school, college physics. A liquid will become VERY hard...at speed. How do you think people that jump off of bridges die. It ain't the fall...it's the sudden stop, even in just...water.

Mike

P.s. - Yea, I'll be building one for my 05, JCW, more toward the end of this year, after a couple other projects are completed.

Old 08-25-2020, 06:57 PM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
Received 630 Likes on 497 Posts
If your still having issues with it after higher boost levels have you thought about this map ? I have been wondering about this thing...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Omni-Power-...IAAOSwGVVeW3vm

Old 08-26-2020, 12:48 AM
adriancl
4th Gear
Received 161 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniManAdam
If your still having issues with it after higher boost levels have you thought about this map ? I have been wondering about this thing...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Omni-Power-...IAAOSwGVVeW3vm
By replacing the original MAP sensor with 4 bar MAP sensor, will cheat DME,because the maximum pressure can get from SC can be 2,5 bar,this is 65% of new MAP sensor max value and if is a linear sensor, output voltage will be around 3V.At this value DME will think the manifold pressure is 1,6Bar, and he will inject the amount required for this small pressure not for 2,5bar pressure.
No need to replace the MAP sensor, is enough to remove few limiters on DME software.

R53Vince (08-26-2020)
Old 08-29-2020, 06:26 AM
R53Vince
1st Gear
*Update*
From a recent conversation with Jan at RMW, he will be able to to provide a tune once I install the GRS front mount. The pressure drop across the front mount will bring boost below threshold so I shouldn't be getting the P0108 CEL code anymore. We can work out that issue if it comes up in the future. I uninstalled the Voltage Clamp anyways. Cool kit though. If anyone is interested I'll sell it. If the pressure drop across the front mount is substantial there's a good chance I will upgrade to a 55mm pulley and maybe, just maybe, a teflon intake gasket and dominator cam... We'll see though. I really didn't want to touch the long block until it blows up but it would be nice to have more mid-top end power at the track. I'm also looking at 15x8 wheel options and running a 225/45R15 tire as well. In the future I intend to research wide arch options as well but I can JUST get away without too much poke from a 8" wide wheel and my current camber settings. It's taking longer to make a decision since the 949racing 6ul wheels aren't available anywhere. I am considering Enkei RPF1's. They only weigh roughly 11 lbs.

Quick Reply: R50/53 R53 Street/Track Build - Let the TVS 900 Journey Begin!