R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 No ECU communication and No power to Fuse 5

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 08:36 AM
RobDe
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No ECU communication and No power to Fuse 5

Trying to help out my 18 year old son.
2006 R50 starts and runs but lost ECU 1 communication to code reader (Creator C501), and the footwell fuse 5 is dead. The ECU1 communication loss is new but I'm not sure about the dead F5.

The best I can tell from all the wiring diagrams is that F5 powered by a Balck/Yellow wire from the Immobilizer which also has no power into the fuse panel. This Black/Yellow wire seems large for a 5 amp fuse so I'm not sure that I'm looking in the right place. And I believe it powers the instrument cluster?
I also have a few other older issues that we are working through. Fog lights not working unless you jump the relay (possibly a bad Switch?) Steering angle sensor bad so DSC and TPS lights on. Heater blower not working but the recently replaced resistor has appeared to fail again.
There were previous intermittent outages of the heater blower and radio. The radio is currently working. I was able to activate the heater blower with the code reader before the comm loss to have the heater blower turn on.
New battery has been installed and seems to be charging and working ok. No water damage to the left footwell fuse panel or the right side BCU. Both keys work to start. 100% Stock with No Mods of any kind.
Any thoughts?
Can the immobilizer be reset? Will an ECU reset work? or be worth a try? Which side of the fuse receives the power, left or right? Which software might be best able to detect or narrow down the issue?
Thanks, Rob

Old 06-08-2020, 12:56 PM
HRM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Rob, you IMed me about this and I finally found the post you were referring too.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...work-fine.html

It was fixed after a mini tech spent hours on it and found the 10 disc CD changer I had installed years ago, and which had worked fine for years, had somehow caused this issue because it was not originally outfitted in the car. He disconnected the CD changer and that was the end of the issue,

Bad batteries make these cars crazy, maybe you can try to disconnect the battery and short out the termianls-leave it alone for a long while an then plug and pray. certainly if you have a CD changer I would uninstall that.

good luck

Old 06-16-2023, 07:22 AM
Peashooter16
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RobDe
2006 R50 starts and runs but lost ECU 1 communication to code reader (Creator C501), and the footwell fuse 5 is dead. The ECU1 communication loss is new but I'm not sure about the dead F5.

The best I can tell from all the wiring diagrams is that F5 powered by a Balck/Yellow wire from the Immobilizer which also has no power into the fuse panel. This Black/Yellow wire seems large for a 5 amp fuse so I'm not sure that I'm looking in the right place. And I believe it powers the instrument cluster?
I also have a few other older issues that we are working through. Fog lights not working unless you jump the relay (possibly a bad Switch?) Steering angle sensor bad so DSC and TPS lights on. Heater blower not working but the recently replaced resistor has appeared to fail again.
There were previous intermittent outages of the heater blower and radio. The radio is currently working. I was able to activate the heater blower with the code reader before the comm loss to have the heater blower turn on.
New battery has been installed and seems to be charging and working ok. No water damage to the left footwell fuse panel or the right side BCU. Both keys work to start. 100% Stock with No Mods of any kind.
Any thoughts?
Can the immobilizer be reset? Will an ECU reset work? or be worth a try? Which side of the fuse receives the power, left or right? Which software might be best able to detect or narrow down the issue?
Thanks, Rob

Hi Rob, Any insight you can share on how you resolved this?

Old 07-28-2023, 07:26 PM
JasonJasonJason
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have same issue fuse 5 no input or output voltage

The only symptom for me is all right indicators so not work but all indications on dash work . Turn signal flashes at normal speed despite no external bulbs working

Originally Posted by RobDe

Any thoughts?
Thanks, Rob
Ave l

Old 07-28-2023, 10:42 PM
Onizukachan
4th Gear
Received 354 Likes on 224 Posts
Maybe check the comb ground that is in the floor? I know others have reported strange symptoms when wires get broken there.

I haven’t done it but remember reading a thread about it.