R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Hello! Newbie W/ R53's

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2020, 05:09 PM
PhoenixMini
2nd Gear
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
Hello! Newbie W/ R53's

Hi There -

I recently acquired a 2004 Mini Cooper S. I got it to save it. Poor thing is leaking Coolant and Oil pretty bad. She drives fine and all that - albeit she needs a few things here and there. I have been researching things a bit, and apparently these leaks are known Mini Maladies. I work on cars and will be able to fix most if not everything she might need. I am here to learn as much as I can and hopefully contribute where I can as well.

Current situation is I also have a 2006 Mini Cooper S, which is actually a DINAN S Mini. My initial plan was to restore this DINAN S, however my new thought is to take all the goodies from the DINAN S and just put them on the 2004 Cooper. The 2004 is in much better shape and actually runs and drives. The DINAN S has a bad engine - seems to be the low / bottom end. Also, the interior is trashed, etc.

They both have the R53 Engine right and are essentially the same car, so I should be able to transfer all the parts over, like:

Coilover
Sway Bar
DINAN Intake
DINAN Head
DINAN Brakes
Wheels

That kind of stuff. Then also fix the leaks and issues on the 2004 and make her a fun car.

Any and all input are most welcome, hope to be come an active member on here.

Cheers!

The following 3 users liked this post by PhoenixMini:
Carl Lewis (10-26-2020), Chris In Milwaukee (08-03-2020), WeWereGoodBoys (08-03-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 11:31 AM
nd-photo.nl
6th Gear
Received 308 Likes on 263 Posts
I never heard of DinanS, but then again Im pretty new to the Mini game. I like the look of the yellow one, bold color

Old 08-03-2020, 12:56 PM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
Dinan is a BMW tuner in Northern California.

https://www.dinancars.com/about/

Old 08-03-2020, 01:48 PM
Monkey Juice
2nd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
I had no idea that the side mirrors could be folded inward! Mine seem so fragile...

Old 08-03-2020, 06:04 PM
PhoenixMini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by nd-photo.nl
I never heard of DinanS, but then again Im pretty new to the Mini game. I like the look of the yellow one, bold color
Thanks! As MINIAC said, DINAN is indeed a BMW Tuner, they also tuned Minis and are back in that game. They however moved to Alabama now. The Yellow one sadly is pretty rough, the mad idea I have is to take all the good stuff from the Yellow one and put them on the Red One and make that the DINAN S

Originally Posted by MINIAC
Dinan is a BMW tuner in Northern California.

https://www.dinancars.com/about/
They moved to Alabama, and they got back into Mini

Originally Posted by Monkey Juice
I had no idea that the side mirrors could be folded inward! Mine seem so fragile...
Yup! I fold car mirrors out of habit and living in cities

Old 08-04-2020, 04:24 AM
Tragesaurusrex
3rd Gear
Received 140 Likes on 68 Posts
Welcome! And nice project

To answer your question about compatibility, yes many of the parts will be the same between the two. The things you list should fit. The SC rotor lobes on the 06 have a better coating, so maybe check out the condition and bring that over as well. Also keep in mind the tune on your 06 was different from the 04 already from the factory, and likely even further away from the 04 after dinan got to it.

Here’s a great article about the difference between Early years and facelift years:

http://www.motoringfile.com/mini-r50r53-buyers-guide/

Last edited by Tragesaurusrex; 08-04-2020 at 05:26 AM.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:44 AM
PhoenixMini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Tragesaurusrex
Welcome! And nice project

To answer your question about compatibility, yes many of the parts will be the same between the two. The things you list should fit. The SC rotor lobes on the 06 have a better coating, so maybe check out the condition and bring that over as well. Also keep in mind the tune on your 06 was different from the 04 already from the factory, and likely even further away from the 04 after dinan got to it.

Here’s a great article about the difference between Early years and facelift years:

http://www.motoringfile.com/mini-r50r53-buyers-guide/
Thank You Much! Something weird here. I can't see my earlier responses. I'll wait and see how that goes before re-writing them. Thank you for the information regarding my planned project. It's good to know there is a good amount of compatibility between the cars. The tune thing I hadn't thought about, so that may pose a question - however DINAN Still has the tunes available for either car so I should be able to re-tune it if needed.

That link was great! I had seen it before a long long time ago, I really appreciate you posting it. Interestingly enough, it caused a moment of pause as to the prudence of my idea as the 2006 MY seems to be the better of the two cars. My thought behind the project is that the 2006 - while a Bona Fide DINAN S - has a number of issues to be dealt with.

The engine's bottom end is bad. Rattles worse than a caterpillar diesel so will need to be replaced OR rebuilt. Also, the car's interior has been torn apart by the PO, the sound system was ripped out and it has a broken windshield. In addition to that, the paint is pretty well faded. My initial thought had been to acquire a donor car with a running R53 and swap out the Heads from the 2006 and then use the donor car to rebuild it and keep it as an Original DINAN S with VIN number and DINAN Serial Number. Other than the issues, the 2006 comes with the wheels, a coil over kit already installed, what might be DINAN BREMBO Brakes (They look legit and were part of the package), a new drive axle was included. Also, all the missing hood trim pieces are actually inside the car. I also got a new After market sway bar with it. In addition, it has a relatively new light weight clutch and flywheel (To be confirmed).

I now wonder if that original idea is the way to go? Oh... another reason I got the Red one is that it has a Black Interior which can swapped into the Yellow 2006 as it is in much, much better condition.

If I go with the current plan, I will strip the Yellow Wasp of:

Brakes
Suspension
Sway Bar
DINAN Intake
DINAN Intercooler (I believe it has one)
DINAN Pulley
DINAN Valve Head
The Clutch Set
Possibly Shorter Ration Transmission
Possibly LSD (If it has one and it fits)

Then whatever else is transferable. However, as I learn more about the Mini, I wonder if that's the way to go? Oh Boy!

Old 08-04-2020, 07:07 AM
PhoenixMini
2nd Gear
Yellow Wasp's R53 Engine Sound

Here is how the engine in the 2006 Sounds like. Yikes!

Old 08-23-2020, 08:31 PM
PhoenixMini
2nd Gear
Quick update to this thread. The decision is firm that the Yellow DINAN S will be the donor car here and I should start taking it apart this week - hopefully. I have already swapped the wheels over. Next will be things like suspension, intake, brakes, etc. Seems that DINAN Never did head work on these cars, so that may be staying in place unless I learn something different.

The 2006 on the Left and the 2004 on the Right.

The wheels properly installed on the 2004.

Someone added a valved extra pipe I guess for sound effect. Might be deleting that eventually.

Adjustable rear control arms on the 2006

Raceland Coil Overs - Nothing too fancy or special from what I can tell.

Old 08-25-2020, 06:51 PM
PhoenixMini
2nd Gear
So, I am forging ahead with my decision to use the Yellow DINAN MCS as a donor car. As I start taking it apart, I realize it is not "all that" as far as being a DINAN. So far, all I see are the Intake and the Exhaust and possibly the tune.

I got to check out the main pulley, and it's an OEM Piece, seems kinda. I suspect the DINAN one was removed prior to sale as the build sheet shows it should have one. I am waiting to check on the SC Pulley, but I doubt its a DINAN either. C'est la vie.

As some know, the poor Red 04 MCS had her passenger side glass broken last week. So, first order of work was to harvest the window from the Yellow Wasp as well as the regulator. Dear Lord! I really want to meet some manufacturing engineers to ask what the heck goes through their minds when they build and design cars. The regulator is a PITA! Thankfully, I was able to make the swap happen.

Next was the Steering Wheel, that was much easier and straight forward. Pretty much same set up as a BMW of that era. Airbags, connector, etc.

With that done, I am slowly starting to take the Yellow Wasp apart. First make me feel good move today was to remove the front left brake / caliper and the Coil Over strut. Gotta tell ya, I am kinda glad I am wrenching on these cars. I am find stuff that just not done properly by previous owners on both cars. Inexperience, carelessness... or both? Ugh. On the front strut, the spring is not seated properly on the upper pad / mount. Gonna have to correct that. Might just replace the shock mounts while I'm at it.... Hmmm?

I'll update as work progresses..... Cheers!

And now... .pictures:

Donor and Recipient, side by side

Regulator from Donot, PITA!

Going in - Door Panel Out!

Regular has been swapped, broken glass and old regulator are gone.

Replacement Glass is in - from the donor as well.

Glass all installed.

Yay!

Old Steering wheel coming out. First the airbag

Then the wheel itself.

Old Wheel Out! Anyone need / want this?

Old New Wheel going in. Bolting it down

Wheel installed.

Here is the pulley on the car. Notice new looking bolt

Time to take this assembly off....

There we go!

Front strut assembly

Spring not seated properly - Ugh!

The following users liked this post:
Tragesaurusrex (09-13-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 06:18 PM
PhoenixMini
2nd Gear
Got a bit more work done on the Yellow Wasp today. I was also able to crawl under it to check a few things out. I found of course the DINAN muffler, however that second pipe was added to the exhaust as a side piece. Not sure I want to keep it yet.

Also, I did find an A/M Pulley on the Supercharger - doesn't say DINAN though. And it seems to say 13% or is that 15%? I was able to pull the front bumper off today as well as remove the strut assembly on the driver's side. This one seems to be in good order - that's good!

I came across an interesting Coil Pack. Wonder if anyone has any idea about it. It's called Screamin Demon.

Front Bumper cover is off!

Front Bumper and Support are off. Seems the bumper has to come off for any serious work on this car

This is the pulley on the SC. Any info, thoughts and such would be appreciated.

I got this new Sway Bar with the car. Not sure what brand - it is adjustable though. Need to measure the diameter

Adjustability - similar to DINAN Sway bars

This is the exhaust set up. The wiring (loooong harness) runs under the car.

The end piece with a valve.

Clearer view of the adjustable rear arm.

The DINAN Muffler.

The Coil Pack from the car - Any ideas? Can I use Stock Plugs with this? Anyone ever used this?

The driver's side assembly

Old 08-27-2020, 03:19 AM
smschriefer
2nd Gear
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
The pulley is an Alta 15%, you will need to run a cooler plug than stock and I would assume the car is setup with the cooler plugs now. My guess on the anti-sway bar is maybe Whiteline?

It is sad that the 06 is toast, but at least you can part out the car to get funds for the other. Good luck with the build!

Steve

Old 08-27-2020, 08:15 AM
Errk
3rd Gear
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
That exhaust is interesting. So does it flow to the muffler side when it’s closed and then allows exhaust to go out the other side as well without the muffler when you open the valve?

Would be nice to make it loud on command but have a nice livable volume for every day.

Old 08-27-2020, 05:50 PM
PhoenixMini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by smschriefer
The pulley is an Alta 15%, you will need to run a cooler plug than stock and I would assume the car is setup with the cooler plugs now. My guess on the anti-sway bar is maybe Whiteline?

It is sad that the 06 is toast, but at least you can part out the car to get funds for the other. Good luck with the build!

Steve
Thank You Steve. The 06 does have different plugs, so I am guessing they are cooler plugs compared to stock. And yes - you nailed it on the Whiteline too.... that is indeed one of their sway bars. I now need to find sway bar bushings and maybe brackets for that 20MM RSB. Not sure stock is the best option and I did not get Whiteline mounting hardware with it unfortunately.

Sad about the 2006, but this truly was the best decision I could make. I am actually swapping over a bunch of parts to the 2004 and then the rest is available for the community if the parts can be of use / help where possible.

Originally Posted by Errk
That exhaust is interesting. So does it flow to the muffler side when it’s closed and then allows exhaust to go out the other side as well without the muffler when you open the valve?

Would be nice to make it loud on command but have a nice livable volume for every day.
All they did was add this extra piping just before the Muffler with a Y junction / weld. I honestly couldn't tell you how well it flows exhaust to the muffler side when closed. The valve it literally at the tip, so I'd say it works kinda like a helmholz chamer of sorts ... maybe? This is in the fact that exhaust will flow into the closed off portion first and then I get just back up from there. Actually not sure how good that is. Maybe it will create some phantom back pressure at low to mid range revs?

Old 08-31-2020, 06:20 PM
PhoenixMini
2nd Gear
Did a bit of work on Red Sonja today. I installed the Raceland Coilovers from the Yellow Wasp on the car - fronts only today. I will be doing the rears as well, just need to ready myself as I will also be installing the new Adjustable Rear Sway Bar.

I did practice on the rear sway bar today on the Yellow Wasp, able to get it out - but I haven't figured out how to get the bloody subframe bolted back up. Till that is figured out, I'll hold of on installing the new rear sway bar.

While replacing the front shocks, I sadly noticed that the car will be needing a new Driver's Side Axle Assembly. Same as the Yellow one actually. I wonder if this is a MINI R53 issue? While I was in there, I also replaced the front brake rotors.

ssoliman (09-01-2020)
Old 09-01-2020, 08:35 AM
ssoliman
5th Gear
Received 139 Likes on 123 Posts
Good work, sir.

my cv boot ripped while doing suspension work as well some time back. bought a replacement for fcp (gnk brand iirc). I can look it up if you like.

rebuilding them is an option...

Old 09-01-2020, 09:29 AM
PhoenixMini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ssoliman
Good work, sir.

my cv boot ripped while doing suspension work as well some time back. bought a replacement for fcp (gnk brand iirc). I can look it up if you like.

rebuilding them is an option...
Thank You! I actually got a spare axle with the Yellow Wasp when I acquired. Just wonder how difficult / involved it is to replace them.

ssoliman (09-01-2020)
Old 09-01-2020, 02:19 PM
Racingguy04
5th Gear
Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts
honestly I think it's easier to replace the boot than the axle, but neither are super hard, but I feel like popping axles out of the trans and putting them back in has more potential for things to go wrong.

Old 09-01-2020, 05:56 PM
ssoliman
5th Gear
Received 139 Likes on 123 Posts
Super easy job. Check out Modmini video on the youtube

Old 09-02-2020, 05:15 PM
PhoenixMini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ssoliman
Super easy job. Check out Modmini video on the youtube

You mean replacing the whole axle?

Old 09-02-2020, 05:35 PM
PhoenixMini
2nd Gear
I got some work done on Red Sonja the last few days. I mentioned I got the front Struts swapped with the donor units from the Yellow Wasp. I was actually able to take her for a test run down the coast and up through the local canyons. What a difference in ride and performance.

I have now swapped out the rear shock assemblies as well with the Raceland Coilover set. I think I may raise her up a little bit after my test drive. Again, the car is a completely different car to drive now. Very planted, stable and direction change is almost intuitive.

I was also able to remove the Rear Adjustable Control Arms. But wasn't able to install them right away. It's another of those stupid design quirks with this car. The parking brake cable was in the way of the Hub Assembly bolt - Ugh! Also.... I noticed that the rear hub assemblies on the 2006 are different. They are adjustable as opposed to the 2004. The more I think about it, I'm now so sure about using the Adjustable control arms on the 2004 since I can't adjust the mount angle at the base of the hub assembly.

First test drive with just the front coilover assemblies installed.

This couple joined me for lunch

They brought a few friends.....LOL!

Rear assembly about to come out

Assembly out. Out with the old, and in with the ...ummm.... not so old?

Ready for the coilover assembly

Assembly in

Bolted up and ready to roll

This always cracks me up! LOL!!!!

Driver's in and bolted up

The Adjustable Rear Control Arms

ssoliman (09-02-2020)
Old 09-02-2020, 05:41 PM
smschriefer
2nd Gear
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Have you thought about swapping the rear subframe assemblies as a unit? I only ask since you have to at a minimum partially remove the subframe to install the new anti-sway bar.

Old 09-02-2020, 05:54 PM
PhoenixMini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by smschriefer
Have you thought about swapping the rear subframe assemblies as a unit? I only ask since you have to at a minimum partially remove the subframe to install the new anti-sway bar.
Not something I thought about, not sure it's something I want to do. Can't really vouch for the entire donor subframe. Are there any benefits to the 2006 vs. the 2004? The rear sway bar is gonna take a moment as I need to acquire new mounting hardware for the 20+mm bar. The stock stuff won't fit.

Old 09-03-2020, 02:15 AM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 507 Likes on 419 Posts
Not sure if it’s worth it unless your 2004 has problems with the subframe as I think everything’s the same on those two cars except for the trailing arms.

After 2003 the front brackets for the rear trailing arms were updated to improve the geometry. For the 2005 facelift, camber adjusters were added to allow a small range of adjustment. Since you already have adjustable control arms, these adjusters aren’t needed.

A popular mod to look into would be upgrading to R56 aluminum trailing arms.

ssoliman (09-03-2020)
Old 09-13-2020, 09:14 PM
Tragesaurusrex
3rd Gear
Received 140 Likes on 68 Posts
Nice progress

The rear sway bar you mentioned came with the car looks like a Whiteline 20mm bar. I have the same one on my setup. It’s a great piece.

Whoops, looks like someone beat me to it.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Hello! Newbie W/ R53's