R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Timing chain

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2020, 02:47 PM
jk6672
4th Gear
Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts
Timing chain

For all those how have never done a timing chain and sprocket replacement and wanting to it’s not that bad. I changed my timing chain and sprockets for the first time. I also replace the stock cam with an RMW dominator, and changed out the injectors for 1k. Next week I’ll tackle the TVS install. I don’t know what I’ll do with the old m45, I imagine I could sell it since it’s in decent shape. After the TVS, I will will tackle the Link esc and can lambda install.

Old 12-08-2020, 05:22 AM
nd-photo.nl
6th Gear
Received 308 Likes on 263 Posts
Its all relative, proper tools obviously but experience with working on cars differs a lot I can imagine.

Can you tell a little bit how long it took you to do? Also special preparations or things which are worth noting which no one mentions in the guides available on the internet etc etc

Timing chain is also on my backlog

Old 12-08-2020, 05:26 AM
steve05ram360
4th Gear
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by jk6672
For all those how have never done a timing chain and sprocket replacement and wanting to it’s not that bad. I changed my timing chain and sprockets for the first time. I also replace the stock cam with an RMW dominator, and changed out the injectors for 1k. Next week I’ll tackle the TVS install. I don’t know what I’ll do with the old m45, I imagine I could sell it since it’s in decent shape. After the TVS, I will will tackle the Link esc and can lambda install.
Interested to see what all is involved in the Link install... can you post up your experience when you do it?

Old 12-08-2020, 09:31 AM
jk6672
4th Gear
Originally Posted by nd-photo.nl
Its all relative, proper tools obviously but experience with working on cars differs a lot I can imagine.

Can you tell a little bit how long it took you to do? Also special preparations or things which are worth noting which no one mentions in the guides available on the internet etc etc

Timing chain is also on my backlog
it did take me all day to do, but I did it. I made a couple mistakes. First mistake wasn’t really a mistake, just inexperience. After putting the chain and sprocket on, and while the chain cover was still off, I slowly cracked it over a hand full of times to see if anything was sticking. I noticed the timing marks changed. I was like WTF! So I cranked it again until the sprocket locking tool was able to be attached. I removed the top sprocket and chain, put the timing mark on the lower chain, then the top, and reattached the sprocket. Low and behold it lined up without any adjustment. I scratched my head and looked on line. Come to fined out the marks don’t always line up with rotation.
The next little mistake I made, I forgot to put the two access plugs back into the head that cover the chain guide bolts before I installed the engine support bracket. I noticed after I had put the engine back down on the mount. More choice words, lol. All and all it was fairly straightforward.
watch all the videos you can find to prep yourself.
The only things I needed to buy besides parts was the sprocket/cam locking tool, a torch to heat up the lower sprocket to slide into position, and assembly lube for the cam.

The absolute worst part was getting the chain tensioner out of the backside of the motor. I was able to get it from the top with a 3/8 ratchet and cheater bar. Hit myself in the head with the bar once the bolt broke loose. This nut was the only thing I couldn’t torque back down. No way I could get a torque wrench in there. As tight as it was on, I just tightened it as tight as I could when the new one went in. I didn’t reuse the same one, the tensioner and bolt head cover was replaced.

The following 3 users liked this post by jk6672:
nd-photo.nl (12-09-2020), ssoliman (12-10-2020), steve05ram360 (12-09-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 09:34 AM
jk6672
4th Gear
Originally Posted by steve05ram360
Interested to see what all is involved in the Link install... can you post up your experience when you do it?
The ecu is really plug and play, the only work is putting sensors in. I’m only putting the cam lambda in at the moment. Needed to buy a relay, 120 ohm resistor, wire and supplies to make a short harness.

The following users liked this post:
steve05ram360 (12-08-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 01:04 AM
nd-photo.nl
6th Gear
Received 308 Likes on 263 Posts
it did take me all day to do, but I did it. I made a couple mistakes. First mistake wasn’t really a mistake, just inexperience. After putting the chain and sprocket on, and while the chain cover was still off, I slowly cracked it over a hand full of times to see if anything was sticking. I noticed the timing marks changed. I was like WTF! So I cranked it again until the sprocket locking tool was able to be attached. I removed the top sprocket and chain, put the timing mark on the lower chain, then the top, and reattached the sprocket. Low and behold it lined up without any adjustment. I scratched my head and looked on line. Come to fined out the marks don’t always line up with rotation.
The next little mistake I made, I forgot to put the two access plugs back into the head that cover the chain guide bolts before I installed the engine support bracket. I noticed after I had put the engine back down on the mount. More choice words, lol. All and all it was fairly straightforward.
The only things I needed to buy besides parts was the sprocket/cam locking tool, a torch to heat up the lower sprocket to slide into position, and assembly lube for the cam.

The absolute worst part was getting the chain tensioner out of the backside of the motor. I was able to get it from the top with a 3/8 ratchet and cheater bar. Hit myself in the head with the bar once the bolt broke loose. This nut was the only thing I couldn’t torque back down. No way I could get a torque wrench in there. As tight as it was on, I just tightened it as tight as I could when the new one went in. I didn’t reuse the same one, the tensioner and bolt head cover was replaced.
Thanks for this!

Old 12-09-2020, 06:41 AM
steve05ram360
4th Gear
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback you provided!!! Seems to me a helmet should be used when working on this car