R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Towing tire trailer during break-in period (MCS)

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 05:34 PM
nygaard
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing tire trailer during break-in period (MCS)

I know people tow trailers with the MCS even though Mini doesn't recommend it. Does anyone see a problem in doing so during break-in as long as the other procedures are followed?

Old 01-02-2005, 03:52 PM
MINI-MadMan
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
All that I can remember about towing is that a Cooper can tow an est. 1400lb, and I do believe that's with a 'brake' trailer. Not sure what it would be with an unbrake trailer or for an 'S' model. And if memory serves correctly, the tongue weight is 165lbs or so. Not sure what there is out there for trailer hitches and such, but I have seen thread topics mentioning them, so maybe do a search around this site with the Search option.
Other than that, I would suggest breaking the car in before punishing it. Give it some time to get used to driving around normally. Mind you, I don't know what you plan on towing and how heavy the load and trialer is, nor am I an expert. But that's my 2 cents anyways.
Cheers,

Old 01-02-2005, 09:02 PM
nygaard
3rd Gear
My plan is to pick up my mini from the dealer and break it in on my way to an autocross event. It would be easiest if I used a trailer to haul the tires, jack, etc, but I don't want to harm the vehicle during break-in either.

Old 01-03-2005, 01:23 AM
MINI-MadMan
6th Gear
Damn, you're not wasting any time there, are ya? That's what I like to see. Break it in on the way to an autoX. That's awesome. Depends on how much the trailer weighs and so on. If all you're doing is hauling tires and jack, that'll be about a couple hundred pounds, minus trailer weight. But first there's the issue with getting a hitch. Is there one for the Cooper'S'? Couldn't you just get a buddy to haul 'em for you in a truck?

Old 01-03-2005, 01:43 AM
Killerbee
3rd Gear
Haul the wheels and tires in the back seat...they fit fine!

Old 01-03-2005, 06:19 AM
MINI-MadMan
6th Gear
I fit a set of 4 tires/wheels in my MINI whenever I get my winter tires swapped with my performance ones without problems. If you're gonna tow them, hopefully your trailer isn't that hefty. The weight of the tires alone isn't that much. There's a lot of added stress to things like your transmission and drive components when towing stuff, that's all. And if you're close to maxing out the reccomended tow weight on a new car (which there doesn't seem to be for the MCS), that's not going to be that ideal. And this is all probably something that I'd keep from my dealership. They're probably not going to think this is a great idea, and may put it on your permanant record.
Cheers,

Old 01-05-2005, 11:22 AM
Jdewey
4th Gear
Tire trailer

Well RDR USED to have a tire bar on their website that would hold the tires in the back seat. I don't see it there now.

A small trailer will not provide any noticable increase in load on the MINI, several of us that read this site have equipment or tire trailers. They will turn up when you do the search.

Don't tell the dealer.
There is currently no MINI approved hitch. They have been stringing people along for 2 years on the MINI Fini, but it just has not happened.

There is a MINI owner in New York that sells a Hitch to fit the MCS. The hitch is $575 plus shipping and takes about 5 hours to install.

If you do tow anything, use a powered adaptor / isolator between your Mini and the trailer. The Body Control Module could be easily damaged by the trailer lights.

John

Old 01-05-2005, 08:32 PM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by Jdewey
Well RDR USED to have a tire bar on their website that would hold the tires in the back seat. I don't see it there now.

A small trailer will not provide any noticable increase in load on the MINI, several of us that read this site have equipment or tire trailers. They will turn up when you do the search.

Don't tell the dealer.
There is currently no MINI approved hitch. They have been stringing people along for 2 years on the MINI Fini, but it just has not happened.

There is a MINI owner in New York that sells a Hitch to fit the MCS. The hitch is $575 plus shipping and takes about 5 hours to install.

If you do tow anything, use a powered adaptor / isolator between your Mini and the trailer. The Body Control Module could be easily damaged by the trailer lights.

John
MINI Ca. tells me that a hitch will put the whole warrenty out the window.

Old 01-05-2005, 08:34 PM
nygaard
3rd Gear
I don't know how hauling a light trailer is any worse than having 4 people in the car. I think it is a little silly that a light trailor can't be hauled (according to mini)

Old 01-05-2005, 09:08 PM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by nygaard
I don't know how hauling a light trailer is any worse than having 4 people in the car. I think it is a little silly that a light trailor can't be hauled (according to mini)
I agree,but they have the warrenty

Old 01-06-2005, 06:27 AM
Jdewey
4th Gear
Hitch / Warranty /distance to event

One of our club members has a hitch on his car. The car has been towed in for warranty service with no issue. He had an electrical problem under the hood.

In the U.S. it seems that under the Magnuson Moss warranty act, they have to show that the installation, or use of parts made by other than the manufacturer has caused the problem you are trying to get them to fix. Fighting with your MINI dealer would probably not be fun.

BTW, is it 1,200 miles from your dealer to the Autocross event? Break in is 1,200 miles before you run the car over 4,500 rpm.

John

Old 01-06-2005, 06:45 AM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
BTW, is it 1,200 miles from your dealer to the Autocross event? Break in is 1,200 miles before you run the car over 4,500 rpm.
That's funny my break in distance was about 18 feet from the driveway of the dealer - it's been red line ever since with not one problem.

Old 01-06-2005, 07:57 AM
nygaard
3rd Gear
Oh yes. I am driving from Wisconsin to California (Fontana ProSolo). I'll hit 1200 somewhere in New Mexico. I assume they recommend an oil and filter change at that point. Do I need to go to a mini dealer for this?

Old 01-06-2005, 10:30 AM
Jdewey
4th Gear
distance / Break in

The first oil change that MINI will do is at 10,000 miles. Castrol Syntec (NOT the Syntec blend) is the approved oil. To change it sooner you will need a filter and the right size socket wrench.

As for the 18 foot break in mentioned above...

IF the machining is perfect enough that there are no tight spots in the engine you may well get away with it. The type of damage caused by not breaking in an engine shows up as premature age related wear.

Most cars don't have a break in period, because the engines just don't get run above 3,000 rpm unless the pedal is mashed to the floor.

When you read about MCS that have oil carry over in the intercoolers (or catchcans), you know that the rings are letting exhaust slip by and force oil out the breather. That happens on engines that are worn due to old age, or over heated, or run fast right out of the lot, or run at high rpms for extended periods of time.

I kept MINI under 4,500 rpm, (except for the occasional run up) for the reccomended period. I agree with comments by some other owners, that in doing this, you could feel the performance change from a stiff engine, to a free engine over the course of those first few hundred miles.

I have about 8,000 miles on the car now, and so far I have added less than 8 oz of oil. That tells me the rings and pistons are well matched to the bores.

John

Old 01-10-2005, 07:34 PM
lexbomb
3rd Gear
Well... I just got an e-mail from Deborah Williams at MINI-FINI.

Hello Lex,
Thank you for your inquiry regarding a tow bar attachment for the Sport-Link™. You’re in luck! In just a couple of weeks we will be offering the Tow-Link™, a hitch that attaches to the Sport-Link™. It is a class 1, ball-type hitch with a 75 lb. tongue weight. We are also coming out with a cargo carrier and a ski/snowboard carrier.

Keep checking our website at www.minifini.com for information on new product availability, or better yet, fill out our “mailing list” form on our website. We will be sending out an advance notice about the Tow-Link™ to all those our e-mail subscribers and they will be able to pre-order these attachments before the announcement goes up on our website. We expect to begin fulfilling Tow-Link™ orders around February 1st.

If you have any further questions or comments, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly.

Happy MINI motoring!
Deborah Williams
Sales Coordinator, Mini-Fini, LLC
Finally I'll have room for a passenger...

Old 01-10-2005, 09:11 PM
lotsie
Banned
I have about 8,000 miles on the car now, and so far I have added less than 8 oz of oil. That tells me the rings and pistons are well matched to the bores.

John
I have 40k miles on my MINI,get my next oil change done in about 3k miles,and I have put less than a quart of oil in this engine since new.
I check the oil at least once a week.

Old 01-11-2005, 07:21 AM
Jdewey
4th Gear
Mini Fini Hitch

Lexbomb
Please let us know how this turns out. MiniFini actually had a trailer hitch posted on their site, with a BMW part number for about a day last year.

This may turn out to be a $1,000 trailer hitch. It seems to me that the bike rack works out to that with installation of the base part on the car. They used to sell only through MINI dealers and require that the dealer do the install. I would like to hear what the cost is, and how your MINI dealer reacts to installing it for trailer use.

In view of the speculation about MINI's reaction to a car that has been used for towing it would be reassuring to hear that MINI is ok with a MINI FINI trailer hitch.

What ever you do, USE AN ELECTRICAL ISOLATING lighting connector. BMW specifies one for their hitch, and I have heard of two MINI owners where the body control module burned out while they had the "extra brake light" mod.

You can look up the connector as the proper part for a Chrysler PT Cruiser, then cut the Chrysler plugs off and wrap the stripped ends around the terminals of the MINI plug.

If you have an MCS, the battery is near by and easy. If not and you have a year other than 2003, steal power from the accesory socket in the boot. That is how my friend with a PT Crusier did his. The trailer tail lights don't work with the key off, so he does not park where he would need parking lights.

If You have a 2003 MC I think I would resort to a long cord and just plug the adapter into the front socket on those occasions when I towed a trailer!

John