R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 non-existent service

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005 | 05:57 PM
mytaimymini
|
1st Gear
non-existent service

I had a pair of xenon headlights installed 3 days ago. They work great. I believe the self-leveling feature is working fine too, (I just guess, not sure how they work) I really don't care about the washer. But, let me tell you that I ended up with an after- market shop rather than Crevier BMW/MINI. I literally brought the car to install the xenon headlights and foglights (I purchased the xenon headlights from a member of NAM and the foglights from Classic. The parts manager, Brian, knows everything)

I called for an appointment in early December and was unable to get one until Dec 29th. I brought the car in before 9:00 am and was excited. There were lots of BMW’s waiting in line. By the time they took my car, it was 10:00am. I also told the service department to install the xenon lights and foglights; also, to fix an intermittently rough idle; the engine would sometimes shake and would almost die while in stop and go traffic and at stoplights. I took the free shuttle to Southcoast Plaza, killing time by window shopping The service department finally called me and told me that they couldn't install the headlights because they needed a retrofit kit, harness and other items that they didn’t have available. I was also told that they couldn’t install the foglights as I had purchased the wrong part. I said " Are you positively sure?" She said "Yes I'm sure because my tech told me". I told her that it couldn't be correct as I know I had ordered the correct parts. About 5:00pm, I received another call about the intermittent idle problem. They said it could not be fixed as well. This was not the first time I brought my car to the Mini dealer for this same problem. The first was Long Beach MINI; Crevier was the 2nd dealer to tell me this. In short, I got nothing done that day except a car wash. By the time I was able to get the car it was alsmot 7:00pm.

The next day I called Brian at Classic MINI. I was told the foglights are actually the same part that could be installed on both Regular and S MINIs. Apparently Crevier BMW/Mini didn’t want my business. I then contacted RevSpeed, which is known for rev-tuning software for Euro cars and Minis. They installed the headlights and the foglights using the same parts I had provide Crevier.

Now, my points are; I just can’t believe that removing the regular headlights and installing xenon-headlights is that difficult. It is, surprisingly, a simple plug and play. And I just REALLY can’t believe that Crevier MINI has no training for their techs. I do really think that they need more training. Finally I want to fix the intermittent idle problem (I was also told this is a known Mini problem and a software upgrade is known to fix it). So….. Do you have any solution for this latter problem?

My complaint is simple – Crevier Mini did not take care of me quickly or professionally

Thanks,
T.
[font=Times New Roman][size=3] [/size][/font]

Old 01-02-2005 | 06:15 PM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
It seems like this garbage is happening at more and more dealers. Most often the ones that charge ADP. Especially when they find out that you bought the car at another dealer.

The MINI may offer the most fun you can have in a car with or with out your clothes on. But, Crappy service kills that fun! BMW/MINI is shooting itself in the foot!

Old 01-02-2005 | 06:48 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
I am very surprised if it is easy to properly install Xenons in a MINI that originally did not have them.

If you read the details of Xenon functionality (in MINI Complete for example) there is a Dynamic Headlight Adjustment module ("located under the dash on the drivers side"); to quote:
the load status and its changes are recorded by means of two height level sensors (potentiometers) located at the front and rear axles. The information from these sensors is communicated back to the DHL module.
From the pictures, it looks like various mechanical arms couple the sensors to the suspension. It looks like this is a lot of work to install - not simply a matter of dropping the xenon headlight units into the hood.

Did RevSpeed do all this install stuff for you? If so, how long did it take?

I still agree with you that Crevier did not handle you very well. If you told them when you booked the car that they were to install Xenons & Fogs, they should have been prepared.
Even if you did not tell them, if you bought the parts from them they should have ensured you got all necessary parts needed to do the install.
Of course, if you bought the parts from elsewhere and simply "dumped" them on Crevier, then I guess they would be to some extent justified if they were unable to do the job because of problems which you did not anticipate.

Old 01-02-2005 | 06:54 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by mytaimymini
And I just REALLY can’t believe that Crevier MINI has no training for their techs. I do really think that they need more training.
Should we start a "NON-competent Dealership Service Department Registry"? I'll be the first to add Motor City MINI to the list in Bold.

Last edited by Ryephile; 01-02-2005 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-02-2005 | 07:23 PM
10851CS
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Ryephile
[/color]Should we start a "NON-competent Dealership Service Department Registry"? I'll be the first to add Motor City MINI to the list in Bold.
What ever happened to the dealer rating section??????

I have had excellent service from Crevier myself. Got a rubber boot that goes somewhere (i forget) under the front of the car from another dealer just to be sure I had it since a hole got poked in mine. The other dealer sold me the left instead of the right, or the other way around, and Crevier did not have one in stock so they gave me a loaner car (I live near San Diego) and flew the part in from Oregon and fixed it the next day. They gave me loaner even though it was not a warranty problem.

I guess we all have different experiences some good/some bad at dealers. I bought from Crevier since the first two places I went did not want my business -- cold feeling from one dealer and completely ignored at the other.

Earl

Old 01-02-2005 | 07:27 PM
speltzer
5th Gear
I also have experienced excellent service from Crevier, and I did not purchase my car from them

Old 01-02-2005 | 08:22 PM
mytaimymini
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by GBMINI
I am very surprised if it is easy to properly install Xenons in a MINI that originally did not have them.

If you read the details of Xenon functionality (in MINI Complete for example) there is a Dynamic Headlight Adjustment module ("located under the dash on the drivers side"); to quote:
the load status and its changes are recorded by means of two height level sensors (potentiometers) located at the front and rear axles. The information from these sensors is communicated back to the DHL module.
From the pictures, it looks like various mechanical arms couple the sensors to the suspension. It looks like this is a lot of work to install - not simply a matter of dropping the xenon headlight units into the hood.

Did RevSpeed do all this install stuff for you? If so, how long did it take?

I still agree with you that Crevier did not handle you very well. If you told them when you booked the car that they were to install Xenons & Fogs, they should have been prepared.
Even if you did not tell them, if you bought the parts from them they should have ensured you got all necessary parts needed to do the install.
Of course, if you bought the parts from elsewhere and simply "dumped" them on Crevier, then I guess they would be to some extent justified if they were unable to do the job because of problems which you did not anticipate.
I was very worry before coz I had been told that xenon-headlights, retrofit kit, harness are completely different from regular headlights. RevSpeed just pluged the xenon in and it worked!!!! He was surprise that the lights worked so he told me that if the lights were to have a problem so they will be flicking at the very first time when he installed. But, it's been 3 days already and it works just great. Very bright. I guessed Mini factory used the same wires?
About Crevier. I clearly told them before we made an appointment that I had just xenon-headlights, no wires, harnness, kit or anything...they still insisted that they can install.

Old 01-02-2005 | 08:35 PM
Rick-Anderson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ryephile
[/color]Should we start a "NON-competent Dealership Service Department Registry"? I'll be the first to add Motor City MINI to the list in Bold.

Please do. I believe a dealer rating forum would be good.

I have an apointment with Crevier in two weeks. I will report my experience here.