R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Purchased 1-owner 2006 MCS with just 4k total miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2022 | 09:34 PM
MCS4FUN
|
6th Gear
^^^ Fully agreed on that, which is actually good news from my own perspective. Clearly, significant $$ spent but discovery of 330cc injectors suggests the PO was guessing or exaggerating actual power output which lack of records then or subsequently seems confirms. I'd rather buy a moderately modded R53 for practical usage, so the extremely low mileage and condition being stored all those years in a dry outbuilding greatly appealed. Despite those smaller S-spec injectors, evidence still suggests cylinder head work done in addition to external engine mods. Unlikely 230 wheel hp but likely easily exceeding JCW 210 brake hp which works for me.

Old 04-08-2022 | 09:42 PM
analyte
3rd Gear
I'll admit I haven't read every post of your thread, but what evidence supports head work? All the evidence seems to point to just bolt ons.

It does have some external higher dollar mods, but I don't understand why you believe so much that it has head work and possibly a cam. Yet it has stock injectors?

Totally confused here....

Old 04-08-2022 | 09:57 PM
deepgrey
6th Gear
I’m curious what the long term fuel trims look like. If those are stock injectors, but you have mods, it might show up there. Will that scanner show injector duty cycle? I also wonder when it stops blubbering on a cold start in relation to the switch to closed loop.

Old 04-08-2022 | 10:11 PM
MCS4FUN
|
6th Gear
See post #188-189 this morning in which I speculated the non-OEM spec heat range "6" spark plugs were installed same time as mods work. Purely conjecture but seems no reasonable explanation why replaced with just break-in miles, unless during cylinder head work.

Yes, the Foxwell scanner can capture long term fuel trim but I didn't report that not knowing how to interpret the numeric values. I didn't find any injector tests but will check both aspects tomorrow.

Old 04-09-2022 | 03:16 AM
JerBear
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MCS4FUN
^^^ Agreed but question remains why different NGK plugs of same OEM spec MCS (non-JCW) heat range were installed at time of mods (just engine break-in miles at that point) or some time after. The plugs I removed were the hotter "6" vs colder JCW-spec "7" in now. I used NGK's plug comparison utility on both plugs, which revealed the ones I removed have identical dimensions but made from slightly different materials (platinum electrode on BKR7EQUP vs nickel on BKR6EK).

Sorry I'm late getting back to this but I totally missed the "6" vs "7" heat range. That is very odd. I have an R50 which uses a hotter plug and am in the process of setting up our Corvette to run nitrous (also needs cooler plugs) so after looking at so many temp ranges recently my mind is rather cluttered lol.

I have open loop idle issues with my Mini also. Again its an R50 so N/A but an intake and full exhaust threw my cold idle all out of whack, any ignition issues cause notable hard starts, and my injectors are maxed out. It may be worth, if you haven't done so already, to let someone like Adrian look at your tune. Then you will know for sure exactly what is going on from an engine management perspective. I picked up a MPPS V21 off Amazon for $20-ish and he can walk you through hooking it up to pull the info off the ecm.

Old 04-09-2022 | 05:09 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by deepgrey
I had another thought. I haven’t read the whole thread, so it may have already been mentioned. Early on I think you mentioned the seller quoting 230 hp to the tires. From my idle reading of NAM over the years, I’m pretty sure the stock 330 cc injectors hit 100% duty cycle long before that number, so something doesn’t add up.
That is an interesting observation...

I think you are right.

Another observation in that direction is that I know of no dealer who has a dyno. They might have done the work to install the stuff, but they wouldn’t have done a dyno run.

Still, it seems that would be a separate issue from the cold start/idle issue, base on my notes above.

On the other hand, if the person had the work done and then took it to someone to tune it, that might point to a tune that is trying to compensate for the smaller injectors and not working well at low RPMs. As for the quoted Hp and where that comes from... Someone’s guess from the mods they did???

Ugh - I know - this doesn’t help much to solve the problem...

Last edited by Eddie07S; 04-09-2022 at 05:10 AM. Reason: Fix typo
Old 04-09-2022 | 07:58 AM
deepgrey
6th Gear
JerBear is right. Someone like Adrian would be much better at figuring out what is going on than I would.

I have a suspicion that you might have mods and no tune or maybe a bad tune, but I really don’t have enough experience to do anything other than guess. There are far more knowledgeable people here than I.

Old 04-09-2022 | 08:15 AM
analyte
3rd Gear
See post #188-189 this morning in which I speculated the non-OEM spec heat range "6" spark plugs were installed same time as mods work. Purely conjecture but seems no reasonable explanation why replaced with just break-in miles, unless during cylinder head work.
Just seems like a big jump that spark plugs lead to head work. I thought you mentioned it had a pulley on the SC, and I know I swapped plugs when I changed the pulley out. Possibly someone just grabbed the wrong plugs or just put in what they had??

Agree with others that someone needs to take a close look at the ECU to see if anything has been changed.

Old 04-09-2022 | 12:12 PM
MCS4FUN
|
6th Gear
Rather than quoting each of your subsequent replies, I'll attempt to address those with new thoughts and observations...

JerBear - Agreed, I need expert help which seems Adrian might achieve, however unsure of the process to do that, i.e., need to purchase K+ CAN INPA cable, download and install related diagnostic files with associated learning before he could review and evaluate plus *** costs TBD of all that.

Eddie, deepgrey & analyte - I watched some videos this morning to better understand the relationship of STFT & LTFT measurements and how those interact with O2 sensors and the ECM. From all that plus more "quality time" with the scanner just now, seems STFT is within range at idle but LTFT is too high. If so, seems either a vacuum leak causing the injectors to compensate or the injectors are too small creating an overall lean condition at higher rpms and load. I checked all other systems and sensors again with all showing passing ok. Also checked again looking for injector test data which does not exist (noting this Foxwell has BMW software preloaded, which recognizes and auto-displays the VIN, R53 model and build date).

If the root cause is indeed injector size, buying JCW 380cc plus flashing the ECM to JCW specs (by WMW) is the simplest path overall but just throwing $$ at this blindly probably isn't the wisest option. As already stated by one or more, increasing injector size is unlikely to affect or improve cold starting anyway.

You guys have already helped with observations and suggestions, so I don't want to string this out excessively long. So then, my options are; contact Adrian for help at cost TBD, spend $$ on injectors / flashing or do nothing at all. Pics below capture trim level measurements at idle, at ~ 3000 rpms and with engine off just displaying the LTFT measurement.

STFT & LTFT @ idle

STFT & LTFT @ 3k rpms (prox)

STFT Bank 1 & STFT Bank 1 Sensor 1 @ 3k rpms (prox)

LTFT displayed after above measurements with engine off

Old 04-09-2022 | 12:23 PM
analyte
3rd Gear
Does the Foxwell allow logging and then downloading the saved file? Be interesting to see the STF values charted as you start and drive up to 3k and 5k. Sorry if you've answered this before

Adrian has been awesome with me. He sent me a list if the two cables needed, around $50 from Amazon, and then he set everything up after linking to my laptop. It will be cheap to have him set it up and take a look. Maybe $100 at most which is a drop in the bucket to buying new injectors and a WMW tune. And then you have the INPA tool to use afterward as well.

A lot of us are interested in what's going on. Lol

Old 04-09-2022 | 01:09 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Interesting about LTFT...

Old 04-09-2022 | 01:49 PM
deepgrey
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
Interesting about LTFT...

Do you also think those LTFT values look strange? It seems like a lot of variation to me in addition to being too large.

Last edited by deepgrey; 04-09-2022 at 01:54 PM.
Old 04-09-2022 | 01:59 PM
MCS4FUN
|
6th Gear
Analyte -
Yes, Live Data logging allows viewing in single, multiple or merged graph modes. So, I took a test drive around town with short and long FT plus coolant temps and rpms toggled. Couldn't view much while driving but could see graphing lines and spikes at various short throttle bursts. Got back home and couldn't save that graph for viewing, let alone exporting. Foxwell's software isn't intuitive and their online help FAQ is useless. But at $143 + tax on Amazon when lowest price, shouldn't complain much. Not a pro grade tool, best used just to identify and clear codes and not different $$ than ScanGuage 2.

So with Adrian, just the special cable(s) and access to laptop without me needing to load software in advance? If so and close to that cost, worth trying. I dug out my ancient Dell 710m Win XP laptop from 12 yrs ago which I'm in the process of prepping for that purpose just in case. I'll see if I can upgrade to Win 7 as has been stated is required for NCS Expert. In any case, I don't want to come out of retirement by resolving and optimizing this as another career path. I'm much too old for that!

Eddie & deepgrey -
After watching tutorial videos, I was surprised to see gross variations in LTFT displayed, since those numbers are "long term" not quickly changed during testing or even when driving. I figure the engine off display was the most correct as a snapshot at that point in time. If so, 15.6% LTFT seems too lean from optimal 0%. Agreed?

Old 04-09-2022 | 02:19 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by deepgrey
Do you also think those LTFT values look strange? It seems like a lot of variation to me.
I was just reacting to what the OP said in his post above mine...
but LTFT is too high. If so, seems either a vacuum leak causing the injectors to compensate or the injectors are too small creating an overall lean condition at higher rpms and load.
I am trusting in his evaluation of the readings. That is, there is a lean mixture issue (hope I read that right).

I’ll offer some guesses (that’s all we have at this point) It seems like, if there was a vacuum leak in the manifold, then the idle absolute pressure values would be higher than what was posted above. There could be an air leak between the SC and the MAF that could screw things up. But won’t that throw a code? Don’t know. If the injectors are too small, then it may point to an issue that the original owner didn’t follow through in the upgrades that were done and maybe a bad tune was put on to compensate. Just guesses, though.

I think the OP has listed some good options from all the “help” we have been giving... From my couch a long ways away I was waiting to see what the OP’s chosen direction is. I think they are all reasonable...

The following users liked this post:
MCS4FUN (04-09-2022)
Old 04-09-2022 | 03:31 PM
analyte
3rd Gear

So with Adrian, just the special cable(s) and access to laptop without me needing to load software in advance? If so and close to that cost, worth trying. I dug out my ancient Dell 710m Win XP laptop from 12 yrs ago which I'm in the process of prepping for that purpose just in case. I'll see if I can upgrade to Win 7 as has been stated is required for NCS Expert. In any case, I don't want to come out of retirement by resolving and optimizing this as another career path. I'm much too old for that!
Correct, get the cables and download the file he links you to and he will take care of the rest. You'll just need to swap a cable or two as asked while he loads the drivers. Easiest time I've had in awhile....

Old 04-09-2022 | 04:05 PM
deepgrey
6th Gear
A ha. I'll say one more thing and then try to keep my mouth shut.

BMW has different values for LTFT. My logger shows the additive and multiplicative adaptations separately. My understanding is additive for low rpm/load and multiplicative for higher rpm/load. If your scanner is showing things right (and if I'm interpreting them correctly, which is up for debate ), it looks like the multiplicative trims are pretty decent, but the additive are off. Or something to that effect.

Whatcha wanna bet they tuned it for the track, and said the hell with fixing the maps for startup and idle? Whaddya need those for anyway?

Old 04-09-2022 | 08:18 PM
MCS4FUN
|
6th Gear
OK, message sent to Adrian summarizing what is known (and not) to-date and related post #'s pertaining to this issue. Anxious to see where this might lead...

00Mini (04-10-2022)
Old 04-10-2022 | 06:51 AM
JerBear
4th Gear
Keep us posted on how you make out. Not sure if you've noticed or not but this thread has over 13,000 views. I would guess there are a few more people following your progress than just the members that are posting

Eddie07S (04-10-2022)
Old 04-10-2022 | 09:37 AM
MCS4FUN
|
6th Gear
^^^ LOL, more posts and page views in the several days than ever before. My objective is posting updates only when something new is going on, rather than turning this topic into my daily "Dear Diary"!

Well, I heard back from Adrian overnight which was fast considering international time difference. Linked me to the (2) items required (MPPS V18 and INPA K+DCAN diagnosis cable) from eBay seller in China. Haven't bought those yet, since prefer Amazon Prime for easy returns if not as advertised. Adrian said needs Win10/Win11 vs older version, so I'm good on that. Quoted tunes in both OEM 330cc and 380cc versions but stated 15% S-charger pulley a must. I don't know what's in there now and not anxious to R&R in any case. Just now took pic and measured, which shows ~ 2 3/8"/60mm OD (outer flange, not ribs) as best I can measure. No markings on yellow chromate finish that I can see. Any reduction % guesses? Please don't tell me that's the OEM pulley!

Old 04-10-2022 | 10:06 AM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Wow, never seen an 8 bolt pulley, or one with that much of a recess where the bolt heads weren’t more flush. That’s definitely not an OEM pulley, but that looks like the OEM plastic center cap. I”d guess it’s a 15%.

WMW might know what pulley that is since he was into MINI”s for a really long time and I think was a factory MINI tech.

Old 04-10-2022 | 10:38 AM
MCS4FUN
|
6th Gear
^^^ Yes, yet another mystery. Curious whether it's OEM s-charger with (2006 era) aftermarket pulley or replacement s-charger which came with the shown pulley...

I'm viewing old NAM posts now on pulley dimensions vs reduction, most of which measured on the ribs vs outer flange diameter. Seems 15% a good guess with those measured both ways, as shown here from year 2004.

Old 04-10-2022 | 11:52 AM
Here2Go
NAM Community Team
My 15% measures 2-1/4" (front) across/OD (not along ribs)
Stock R53 measures (approx) 2-5/8 across/along ribs. Measured from where ribs are visible on my old OEM.

Last edited by Here2Go; 04-10-2022 at 12:08 PM.
deepgrey (04-10-2022)
Old 04-10-2022 | 12:55 PM
MCS4FUN
|
6th Gear
Did some googling of "R53 supercharger pulley" images and found one that looks same plus described as 60mm. If so and with the related notation, seems my s-charger might not be the OEM Eaton M45 but instead possibly 2006 era version of one linked on Orranje's page, i.e., Harrop TVS s-charger. I can't tell with MiniMotors water IC covering it but will take a good look when time to R&R injectors. With probable cost of that IC back then, a higher output s-charger might have been part of that.

KAVS TVS900 R53 MINI Cooper S Supercharger Pulley Harrop TVS900 Supercharger Kit R53 R52

Edit: See image of Eaton M45 snout casting added to bottom of post #225, which looks like mine. So then, unlikely TVS s-charger installed

Last edited by MCS4FUN; 04-10-2022 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-10-2022 | 03:52 PM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Well, that'd be an incredible bonus to have a TVS!

Certainly is an odd looking pulley that I don't recognize, did a bit of sherlocking and couldn't find anything that resembled it.

Possibly from MiniMotors?

Had a look at their old site on the wayback and they were selling pulleys for like $255...

Purchased 1-owner 2006 MCS with just 4k total miles-edktcx5.png

...but there was lots and lots of options back in the day,
so who knows?

As always, top marks on the thread, really enjoying the lookthrough, thanks for updating it and adding more pictures.

I never get tired of seeing it!

deepgrey (04-10-2022)
Old 04-10-2022 | 04:04 PM
MCS4FUN
|
6th Gear
Thanks, OBS!

If actually a TVS s-charger, agreed perhaps MiniMotors which is branded name of the W-to-I IC and might have been packaged as a complete kit at that time. Further M-M was later absorbed by Mini Mania which was/is not far from the chosen BMW dealer that reportedly did most or all of the work. The PO told me he had all items shipped (or delivered) there and brought no OEM parts home with him due to lack of room nor desire. Pretty spendy stuff to takeoff and just leave behind!

I took a few pics just now of the front snout end of the s-charger if that helps identify. The embedded video on Orranje's webpage shows and describes a later version than what would have been available in 2006. Interesting stuff for me too!

Edit: OTOH, Eaton M45 snout casting profile looks pretty much same as I see on mine. Perhaps, just an unusual style pulley available back then. Image snagged from UK s-charger rebuild shop's webpage attached at bottom.

Last edited by MCS4FUN; 04-10-2022 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Updated with M45 s-charger snout casting image

Quick Reply: R50/53 Purchased 1-owner 2006 MCS with just 4k total miles