R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Another 2003 Indi Blue MCS Rescue Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2022, 05:03 PM
dmath
6th Gear
Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts
I didn't get photos yesterday and now it's rainy followed by me going out of town for a few days. So the photos will be a while.

I did get some coding done (thanks to a number of NAMers for posting a lot of good information). Here's a partial list:
- enabled auto up on both windows
- enabled comfort closing (comfort opening was already enabled on my car)
- disabled the seatbelt warning
- disabled the key-in-ignition warning
- enabled auto unlock when ignition turned off
I had hoped to enable lane-change turn signals but then learned it's not possible on the R53. Bummer.

In a few weeks, I'm going to get serious about the rear fog lights and will code that after installing the new toggle switch bank.

Old 09-10-2022, 06:37 PM
Here2Go
NAM Community Team
Received 1,000 Likes on 616 Posts
Cool.
Did you swap out the original '03 ECU with a facelift?
Adrian configured my tune and I have all the software on my laptop.
I really would like to learn to use NCS Expert or (Dummy) someday. I'm just afraid I'll screw something up and brick my ECU...

Old 09-10-2022, 08:21 PM
deepgrey
6th Gear
Received 354 Likes on 274 Posts
Originally Posted by Here2Go
Cool.
Did you swap out the original '03 ECU with a facelift?
Adrian configured my tune and I have all the software on my laptop.
I really would like to learn to use NCS Expert or (Dummy) someday. I'm just afraid I'll screw something up and brick my ECU...
It’s not a scary as it seems. Once you have everything up and running, coding is actually pretty straightforward. You’ll know that it’s working because you can check that INPA has a connection, and you’ll first be reading a file off the car without making any changes. Or at least that’s the way I’ve always done it.

Old 09-11-2022, 05:08 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,202 Likes on 936 Posts
Originally Posted by dmath
I didn't get photos yesterday and now it's rainy followed by me going out of town for a few days. So the photos will be a while.

I did get some coding done (thanks to a number of NAMers for posting a lot of good information). Here's a partial list:
- enabled auto up on both windows
- enabled comfort closing (comfort opening was already enabled on my car)
- disabled the seatbelt warning
- disabled the key-in-ignition warning
- enabled auto unlock when ignition turned off
I had hoped to enable lane-change turn signals but then learned it's not possible on the R53. Bummer.

In a few weeks, I'm going to get serious about the rear fog lights and will code that after installing the new toggle switch bank.
I was not aware that you could code auto up on a first gen MINI without an add-on switch module. What software are you using to do this?

Old 09-11-2022, 06:57 AM
dmath
6th Gear
@Eddie07S Based on what I've read, auto up is hit or miss for Gen1. My understanding is that most people are able to get it to work for the driver's side but results are mixed for the passenger's side. I think it depends on the version of the BC1 module. I used NCSExpert and NCSDummy.

The coding really isn't bad, as @deepgrey correctly says. The process I use is:
1. Use NCSExpert to read a trace file from the appropriate control unit
2. Make a copy of the trace file as a backup
3. Use NCSDummy to edit the settings
4. Use NCSDummy to write a .man file containing the new settings
5. Use NCSExpert to write the .man file to the control unit

To avoid mistakes, I use the computing equivalent of "measure twice, cut once" -- double check the selected options before telling the software to do anything. There are much more experienced coders here than me but I'm happy to try to help if you like.

Last edited by dmath; 09-11-2022 at 07:07 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by dmath:
deepgrey (09-11-2022), Eddie07S (09-11-2022), Here2Go (09-20-2022), ssoliman (09-16-2022)
Old 09-11-2022, 08:00 AM
ChiefM
5th Gear
Received 341 Likes on 238 Posts
Looks like we both got a little further ahead this weekend!

Old 09-11-2022, 08:24 AM
deepgrey
6th Gear
Received 354 Likes on 274 Posts
@Eddie07S Based on what I've read, auto up is hit or miss for Gen1. My understanding is that most people are able to get it to work for the driver's side but results are mixed for the passenger's side. I think it depends on the version of the BC1 module. I used NCSExpert and NCSDummy.

To avoid mistakes, I use the computing equivalent of "measure twice, cut once" -- double check the selected options before telling the software to do anything. There are much more experienced coders here than me but I'm happy to try to help if you like.
Yep. That’s what I’ve seen mentioned as well with respect to auto up. I was only able to get my driver’s side to work. I want to say it sounded like the early cars were more likely to work on both sides?

That process sounds the same as what I do. I have to somewhat re-teach myself every time because I do coding so rarely.

Old 09-11-2022, 12:58 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE

Thanks. I like to get info like this for future reference.

Although, it may be a while before I try doing anything like that. Right now I have a cantankerous CVT on my R50 that is reluctant to shift out of first range... Belt seems to be fine. Not looking to go a manual in it as it is the wife’s car; no manual for her.

Old 09-11-2022, 05:28 PM
dmath
6th Gear
I haven't driven a car with the Mini CVT but my wife's Outback has one so I am somewhat familiar. Can't say I'm a huge fan. Maybe there are better examples than the one that Subaru uses. Particularly on hills, it has trouble finding the right range, which was really evident when we drove over the continental divide in May. Hope you get yours straightened out.

@deepgrey My impression is the same, that the early cars were more likely to accept auto up for the passenger's side. Maybe makes up (a little) for not being able to display the speed in the tach in the pre-facelift cars.

Old 09-12-2022, 05:06 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
The CVT in our MINI is really good out on the road. On the hills and dales and in twisties it always seemed to be in the right range, no hunting. Where it could have been better is with acceleration from a stop sign at a medium throttle. It wants to get to a higher range too quickly which makes the car jerk. To fix that I just shift into sport mode before taking off, which holds it in a lower range longer. In general, for drivability I give it high marks. The issues it currently has seem to have started with voltage issues. Although, that just might have been a coincidence. The battery went and then the alternator. I have read that voltage issues can cause the CVT controller computer to have hiccups. But it might have nothing to do with that. Right now, it is a problem for another day...

Old 09-20-2022, 10:07 AM
dmath
6th Gear
I'm finally getting around to posting a few photos. The body shop did a great job on the bumpers and paintless dent repair on the roof (from a roof rack used by the previous owner) and the right rear quarter.

First, a before of the front bumper. This is a screen grab from a video shot by the seller before I bought the car. It's fuzzy but the ugly gash on the bumper is obvious.

And the after. This is a new bumper cover. They did a great paint match.

The rear bumper was damaged during removal of paint protection film. They repaired and repainted.

Despite everything I've done to the car, I think my wife's favorite part is the new mats. I like them too but not as much as other items I've worked on.

The following 4 users liked this post by dmath:
Here2Go (09-20-2022), jcolletteiii (09-20-2022), MCS4FUN (09-20-2022), ssoliman (09-22-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 02:26 PM
Here2Go
NAM Community Team
That is great work. All of what you've done and the fresh paint is just like icing on a cake!
I think you're right - I'm pretty confident you'll be very happy when you go anthracite for the interior.

Very sweet looking R53!

Old 09-20-2022, 03:45 PM
ChiefM
5th Gear
Received 341 Likes on 238 Posts
Bravo!!
I hope to get the Cabrio that nice looking in the future!

Old 09-20-2022, 04:50 PM
MCS4FUN
6th Gear
Received 505 Likes on 353 Posts
Looking super nice - congrats!

Old 09-20-2022, 09:02 PM
jcolletteiii
6th Gear
Received 483 Likes on 340 Posts
That looks AWESOME! Came out great, and the mats look really great with the blue seats and carpet too! Come a long way in a short time!

Old 09-27-2022, 06:09 PM
dmath
6th Gear
Last Friday afternoon, my wife and I took the R53 to Madison to participate in a Saturday group drive from Mini of Madison to New Glarus, WI for Oktoberfest. New Glarus is a town in southern Wisconsin that was founded by Swiss settlers in the 19th century. Because we lived in Switzerland from 2010 to 2013 (and miss it a great deal), we've been anxious to visit but Covid and life always got in the way.

19 Minis set out from the dealership. We managed to stay a group (or close to it) throughout the trip along a variety of B roads (and some B- roads) in southern Wisconsin. After about an hour and a half, we stopped for a break at the municipal park in a small town, where we discovered that the start of the homecoming parade was imminent. The details aren't clear to me but somehow, our group was invited to participate in the parade. I'll admit to being lukewarm to the idea but was clearly an outlier so parade we did (followed by a group of Harley riders, the first of whom was pulling a chariot carrying a candy-throwing Trojan). So now being in a parade is crossed off of my bucket list though I have no recollection of ever having put it on said list.

From there we continued to New Glarus where the organizer had arranged parking at a local church. This is the only reason we were able to get group photos. I realize now that I didn't inventory the cars. Suffice it to say that all three generations were represented as were models Cooper, Cooper S, Convertible, Countryman (including a hybrid), and Clubman (in Superman livery). The obligatory photo (my car is not in the shot):

The following 7 users liked this post by dmath:
ChiefM (09-28-2022), Eddie07S (09-27-2022), Here2Go (09-28-2022), jcolletteiii (09-28-2022), MCS4FUN (09-27-2022), Soul Coughing (10-03-2022), ssoliman (10-04-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-01-2022, 11:55 AM
dmath
6th Gear
The trip to Madison last week was the first extended drive for my car since all of the engine work last winter/spring. When we arrived, I noticed that the car had used some oil. Can't say exactly how much but I would guess 200 ml. That's a lot for only 150 miles. Below is a list of what I've checked.

-- I asked the guy who was behind me during the group drive to New Glarus if he noticed that my exhaust was smokey. He indicated that he hadn't (though we'd both noticed that the car in front of me appeared to be burning oil).

-- After returning home, I looked around the valve cover and head gaskets and the oil filter housing and got under the car to check for leaks -- there's no evidence that I can see. That's not surprising since every seal/gasket is new with the exception of the rear main seal (which I'll do when it's time to replace the clutch).

-- Today I did a compression test with a warm engine. I think the results are good: 1: 165 2: 160 3: 163 4: 166

-- Here's a photo of the spark plugs (which have about 2000 miles on them):

-- Don't know how old the PCV valve is so I've ordered a new one which will arrive Monday.

So I'm not sure what it could be. I will, of course, keep an eye on things but appreciate any suggestions from NAMers.

Old 10-04-2022, 01:13 PM
ssoliman
5th Gear
Received 139 Likes on 123 Posts
Some amount of oil consumption is normal, no?

I know I have to top up at least once between changes

Old 10-04-2022, 01:28 PM
Rebound
3rd Gear
Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts
Try this motor oil. It is UV-reactive dye which lets you detect oil leaks by shining a black light on your engine. The leaks will glow.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/5w40-molygen-new-generation-engine-oil-5-liter-liqui-moly-lm20232

The following 2 users liked this post by Rebound:
Here2Go (10-04-2022), ssoliman (10-04-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 03:04 PM
Here2Go
NAM Community Team
Originally Posted by Rebound
Try this motor oil. It is UV-reactive dye which lets you detect oil leaks by shining a black light on your engine. The leaks will glow.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/5w4...i-moly-lm20232
Ha - Good one!
+1 LiquiMoly
Always looking for a simpler way to spot my oil leaks.
Just in time for Halloween, too

Thanks!

The following users liked this post:
Rebound (10-05-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 04:59 PM
dmath
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ssoliman​
​​​
Yes, but I don't have to like it!

Originally Posted by Rebound
​​​​Try this motor oil. It is UV-reactive dye which lets you detect oil leaks by shining a black light on your engine. The leaks will glow.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/5w4...i-moly-lm20232
​​​
Not a bad idea. I looked extensively for a leak, from both above and below. It all looked dry. Still, Molygen is probably worth a shot. Around the end of this month, the car will be stored for winter so using it will have to wait until spring.

ssoliman (10-05-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 10:47 PM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
Received 630 Likes on 497 Posts
Last Friday afternoon, my wife and I took the R53 to Madison to participate in a Saturday group drive from Mini of Madison to New Glarus, WI for Oktoberfest. New Glarus is a town in southern Wisconsin that was founded by Swiss settlers in the 19th century. Because we lived in Switzerland from 2010 to 2013 (and miss it a great deal), we've been anxious to visit but Covid and life always got in the way.

19 Minis set out from the dealership. We managed to stay a group (or close to it) throughout the trip along a variety of B roads (and some B- roads) in southern Wisconsin. After about an hour and a half, we stopped for a break at the municipal park in a small town, where we discovered that the start of the homecoming parade was imminent. The details aren't clear to me but somehow, our group was invited to participate in the parade. I'll admit to being lukewarm to the idea but was clearly an outlier so parade we did (followed by a group of Harley riders, the first of whom was pulling a chariot carrying a candy-throwing Trojan). So now being in a parade is crossed off of my bucket list though I have no recollection of ever having put it on said list.

From there we continued to New Glarus where the organizer had arranged parking at a local church. This is the only reason we were able to get group photos. I realize now that I didn't inventory the cars. Suffice it to say that all three generations were represented as were models Cooper, Cooper S, Convertible, Countryman (including a hybrid), and Clubman (in Superman livery). The obligatory photo (my car is not in the shot):

Dang wish I was invited

Old 10-05-2022, 05:27 AM
dmath
6th Gear
The events aren't by invitation -- they are open to everyone.
http://www.wisconsinminis.org

Old 10-05-2022, 07:54 AM
Rebound
3rd Gear
Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts
Yes, but I don't have to like it!

Not a bad idea. I looked extensively for a leak, from both above and below. It all looked dry. Still, Molygen is probably worth a shot. Around the end of this month, the car will be stored for winter so using it will have to wait until spring.
You can also just buy the dye and add it without and oil change. I don’t know who makes it, though.

dmath (10-05-2022)
Old 10-05-2022, 08:40 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by ssoliman

I know I have to top up at least once between changes
MINIs seem to run the gambit with respect to oil usage. I have read on NAM of people having to add a quart ever 1000 or 2000 miles and others don’t add any at all between changes. Personally, when I track my R56 I see no oil usage. My F56 seems to be the same, none. I say “seems” as the event I went to in August I added 1/2 qt. This last event, the gauge didn’t move from full. Same for last season; no usage. We’ll see as time goes on.

I think the PVC valve replacement is a good place to start. The cylinder pressures are all good, as are the spark plugs. #1 may be a tad lean compared to the others or vice versa - #2-4 a tad rich. But nothing I would worry about. As for actual leakage - I would think the amount lost would be visible. But that is a guess...

It is very important for the oil to always be topped off (full). The earlier MINIs were prone to oil starvation and engine damage during hard cornering with the level below full. Not sure how far below full it becomes a problem, though. So, I just keep my MINIs topped off.

The following 2 users liked this post by Eddie07S:
dmath (10-05-2022), Here2Go (10-06-2022)

Quick Reply: R50/53 Another 2003 Indi Blue MCS Rescue Thread