R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Another 2003 Indi Blue MCS Rescue Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2021, 08:44 AM
dmath
6th Gear
Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts
Another 2003 Indi Blue MCS Rescue Thread

Yes, this is yet another thread about rescuing/repairing/restoring a 2003 MCS. It's a 2003 with JCW kit that I found in the Marketplace here on NAM. 103K miles. Looks to be in nice condition cosmetically (I haven't yet seen it other than photos). It was loaded on the transport truck yesterday and should arrive tomorrow or Monday.

There is one major mechanical problem: significant coolant in the oil. Two mechanics told the seller that it needs a head gasket. Neither did a compression test so I suspect that the diagnosis was simply their first guess based on the symptom. It also now has a low oil light. I wonder if that might be a bad oil pressure switch due to the coolant in the oil.

The first thing I plan to do is check the oil pressure. What I do next will depend on the result of that check. After the oil pressure and coolant are resolved, I'll do a number of the typical 100K maintenance items: coil pack and plugs, supercharger service and water pump, brake flush, transmission oil, air filter, belt (and inspect crank pulley), etc. Am anxious to get started.

According to the seller (who has owned it for 16 years), it's always been a summer-only car. Once healthy, that's my plan for it as well. My Countryman S All 4 will continue to see winter use.

One of the photos from the Marketplace listing:

On the truck yesterday morning:

The following users liked this post:
ssoliman (08-14-2021)
Old 08-14-2021, 09:14 AM
jcolletteiii
6th Gear
Received 483 Likes on 340 Posts
Wow, is that a tin top? Body looks like it's in great shape - nice find!

Old 08-14-2021, 11:56 AM
dmath
6th Gear
Yes, it is sunroof-less. Definitely my preference, though I likely would have bought it either way.

Old 08-15-2021, 04:01 PM
dmath
6th Gear
Car arrived this afternoon. Appears to be as advertised -- no complaints. Will begin troubleshooting tomorrow.

A family photo:

The following 2 users liked this post by dmath:
MCS4FUN (08-15-2021), ssoliman (08-15-2021)
Old 08-15-2021, 05:18 PM
jcolletteiii
6th Gear
NICE! Congrats man - looking forward to the progress/stories!

Old 08-16-2021, 08:05 PM
dmath
6th Gear
Day 1:
There is a long list of projects I want to do on this car. First among them is getting the oil problems resolved. The first step was to do an oil pressure test. As I mentioned in the fist post, the oil pressure light is on -- I suspected a bad switch. The test looked good so I ordered the replacement switch.

Next up is to determine how coolant is getting into the oil. Bad head gasket is the obvious choice. Despite that, I'm going to replace the oil filter housing and oil cooler gaskets first. Three reasons for this: 1. They should be done anyway on an 18 year-old car. 2. Compression seems good in all cylinders (though this doesn't necessarily rule out a bad head gasket). 3. I'd rather try the low-hanging fruit first.

A question for those of you who have removed the oil filter housing: Did you drain the radiator or simply the lines to/from the oil cooler? I've read both that it is and that it is not necessary. I plan to do a drain/fill on the cooling system but would prefer to wait until I know the oil problem is resolved.

Old 08-18-2021, 07:35 PM
dmath
6th Gear
Today I removed the oil filter housing. Very glad I did because this is what I found:

The hoses that connect to these are similarly blocked at that end but are clear at the other. I didn't think oil was getting into the coolant because the reservoir is clean. My current hypothesis is that oil started getting into the coolant causing the partial blockage. This increased the coolant pressure in the oil cooler causing coolant to get into the oil. Fortunately, the previous owner didn't drive the car much in the last few years or things would likely be worse.

My inclination is to replace the entire oil filter housing. I definitely need to replace the oil cooler because I don't trust it. Makes sense to me to replace the whole thing to know that it's all good. I'll have to check the radiator to make sure it's clear. Should inspect hoses as well.

I hope this means that the head gasket isn't a problem...

Old 08-18-2021, 08:18 PM
jcolletteiii
6th Gear
What the hell is that crud? what'd it come from? Strange! Good thing you took it off - hope that is your culprit!

Old 08-18-2021, 08:22 PM
dmath
6th Gear
I think it's a dried coolant/oil mixture. Dried because the car was driven so little over the last few years. The thread linked below is a more extreme case and the stuff of nightmares.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...acks-this.html

Old 08-19-2021, 05:00 PM
dmath
6th Gear
While waiting for the oil filter housing to arrive, I'm prepping for other work. So today I put it in service mode, removed the right axle (to make it easier to get the new oil filter housing in), and (partially) removed the right outer ball joint.

The ball joint was really stuck. It took quite a few applications of AeroKroil (starting last night), about an hour banging on the seam between the ball joint flange and the steering knuckle with a chisel and 3 lb sledge, and using the lawnmower blade method posted by Dan_in_WA in the thread linked below. It finally released from the knuckle but the stud is still frozen in the lower control arm. Tonight I'm going to try to find or figure out how to make a puller to solve that problem.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...all-joint.html

Next up is pulling the oil pan, replacing the gasket, and doing quite a bit of cleanup. Something (probably the oil filter housing) made quite a mess. I'll also replace the crank sensor o-ring. Before installing the new oil filter housing, I'll also thoroughly flush the cooling system and replace the thermostat and housing. That's the short list -- a lot more to do.

jcolletteiii (08-20-2021), Rebound (06-24-2022)
Old 08-21-2021, 07:45 PM
dmath
6th Gear
I've come to the conclusion that just about every seal and gasket on this car that can leak is leaking. Discovered yesterday that the front main seal is leaking. Since I'm replacing that, I ordered an ATI harmonic balancer. Needed to be done anyway. Yesterday, I dropped the oil pan. The outside was a mess. At the beginning of this project, a friend let me borrow his parts washer. Came in very handy for the oil pan. Forgot to take a before photo but it looks MUCH better in the after photo below.

I also cleaned up the right axle yesterday since I had it out of the car. The inboard shaft is in great condition but the outboard had a lot of surface rust. Put a couple of coats of POR 15 on it. When I got the outer ball joint out, it was clear that it needed to be replaced. I don't want to leave the old left one with a new right one so I'm not working on removing the left one too. It is similarly stuck. While I'm at it, I'll remove the left axle and clean it up. Should get to that tomorrow. Drained the transmission today as well. Will refill after both axels are reinstalled.

Replaced the crank sensor o-ring today and cleaned up the area around it. Must have been leaking for a while.

Also on the schedule for tomorrow is to begin the process of draining and flushing the cooling system to make sure there's no sludge in it before I install the new oil filter housing and thermostat housing.

jcolletteiii (08-21-2021)
Old 08-21-2021, 09:19 PM
MCS4FUN
6th Gear
Received 505 Likes on 353 Posts
You've gone a very long way in just 30 days since acquisition with your discoveries on needed repairs and major progress on corrections. Well done!

Old 08-22-2021, 04:07 PM
dmath
6th Gear
MCS4FUN - thanks. We were out-of-town not long after I bought the car which delayed shipping. It arrived last Sunday so I've been working on it for a week. Seems like I'm making good progress but it's nothing compared to the pace ChiefM is setting.

Today the left-side outer ball joint relented so I was able to remove the axle and get it cleaned up and painted. Also removed the airbox, etc in preparation for replacing the thermostat and housing. Other than oil changes, maintenance was definitely not on the previous owner's radar. The old air filter was bad. Got sidetracked with miscellaneous cleanup so didn't get the cooling system drained. Maybe tomorrow after work.

ssoliman (08-22-2021)
Old 08-23-2021, 03:20 AM
nd-photo.nl
6th Gear
Received 308 Likes on 263 Posts
Ho Lee Chit, that was dirty

Old 08-24-2021, 04:07 AM
ChiefM
5th Gear
Received 341 Likes on 238 Posts
Thanks for the compliment, I don’t have a garage so I am the mercy of Mother Nature. I hate working on cars in the winter so I am trying to get as much done as I can. Mama hen is getting a little agitated because I work on the Mini every day. If I had a garage I would really be in hot water with the wife.

Old 08-24-2021, 07:20 PM
dmath
6th Gear
Today I removed the old (original) crank pulley in preparation for the ATI I ordered from WayMotorWorks arriving tomorrow. I had read that the 02 and 03 R53s had a very heavy factory pulley. I wasn't prepared for how heavy. Am saving it in case I get a boat some day and need an anchor.

I also started prep for the multi-stage coolant flush I'm going to do to eliminate the oil sludge. Hope to start that on Friday.

Old 08-30-2021, 06:10 AM
ChiefM
5th Gear
Any updates?

Old 08-30-2021, 06:56 PM
dmath
6th Gear
Have been meaning to post an update but got a little busy.

I flushed the cooling system a couple of times with the thermostat removed and a hose eliminating the oil cooler from the circuit. Got some sediment out but not as bad as I expected. I have hot water on the hose bib in the garage so I then ran hot water through for a while. Time will tell but I think the cooling system is ok.

Had an "oh crap" moment when doing the flush. I had disassembled a number of items and reassembled to do the flush. After filling the cooling system, I had my son start the car, or rather try to start it. He turned the key and all we heard was a sickening click. After trying another time with the same result, and a substantial increase in my heart rate, I started wondering what I had messed up. I thought for a moment and concluded it must be the battery. Put the charger on it for a while and it started right up.

Next up was to remove the supercharger for service. Removal wasn't too bad. Began by cleaning the exterior as much as possible. I had hoped it would come out looking newer than it does but there's some minor corrosion. Put a new gasket under the outlet horn. Then did the oil service. On the front side, almost 100 ml of oil came out It was dark (see photo) but still mostly there. Am very happy about that. Worryingly, no oil came out of the back. Put 25 ml in and am hoping for the best. Finally, put a new water pump on and set it aside. I want to clean the front of the engine before reinstalling the supercharger.

Finally, for now, I put a new thermostat and housing on and replaced the hoses from the hard water pipes to the oil cooler. Once the engine is cleaned up and the supercharger back on, I'll fill with fresh coolant and test while still on jack stands. If that goes well, I may be able to drive it for the first time.

Supercharger oil: old and new. Doesn't MINI claim that this is a lifetime fluid?

Last edited by dmath; 08-30-2021 at 07:13 PM.
Rebound (06-24-2022), ssoliman (08-30-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 06:42 PM
dmath
6th Gear
Had a small setback today. I cleaned the front of the engine and then began reassembly: water pump flange, supercharger, alternator, throttle body, etc. All went together rather easily. Double-checked that all hoses and necessary electrical connections were made. I then connected my coolant vacuum fill tool to pull a vacuum on the cooling system in preparation for filling with coolant. No joy -- it wouldn't create a vacuum. Clearly a leak. So a poured some water in the expansion tank. After a moment, it started gushing out from somewhere. I think it's the flange but am not yet sure. I think the flange o-ring was well-seated and I put a little silicone grease on it. I also put silicone grease on the water pump o-ring. Disappointing. I was too tired and aggravated to begin pulling things apart. Will dive back in tomorrow.

ssoliman (09-01-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 03:54 AM
ChiefM
5th Gear
Sorry to hear about the set back and I know how you feel. At least we don’t have to drop the subframes to fix any oil leaks! I will get mine in front end service mode today so I can drop the oil pan and the AC compressor. You might have yours repaired and driving before I get mine done. Playing the waiting game on parts.

Old 09-02-2021, 03:55 AM
nd-photo.nl
6th Gear
Hmm that sucks :(

Old 09-02-2021, 06:14 PM
dmath
6th Gear
Didn't take long to determine the problem from yesterday: I'm an idiot. When I installed the supercharger with new water pump, I neglected to attach the small hose to the pump. At least I figured it out without removing the supercharger (and everything that goes along with it). With that connection made, I pulled a vacuum at the reservoir. It held for 5 minutes so I filled with coolant and started it up. I guess it ran for about 15 minutes. No coolant or oil leaks.

With that good news, I decided to put the front wheels back on and take it for a short drive just on our street. I hadn't driven the car except for steering while my son and a friend pushed it into the garage after delivery. Very exciting.

Didn't even bother putting the front bumper back on (our street is a long cul-de-sac so there is little chance of encountering another car). I grabbed my son and off we went. Not only is this the first time I've driven that car, it's the first time I've driven an R53. First impressions: Very taut. I like the handling a lot (though it needs an alignment). Great throttle response. Nice whine from the supercharger. A lot of fun, for about 5 minutes.

We only drove a couple of miles and noticed the temperature creeping up. We were on the way back home already and took it very easy. After pulling into the garage, noticed that it was leaking coolant. Didn't have time to really dig into it but I think it's coming from the radiator. Will try to confirm tomorrow, though I don't have a pressure tester. I guess when I ran it in the garage, the thermostat didn't open so it didn't leak. Either that or it's a new leak that just happened during that 5 minute drive.

Even with the coolant leak it was a good day. I think I'm going to have a lot of fun with that car.

Just out of curiosity, which way does the coolant enter the radiator? Through the top hose or the bottom hose? I know that the top hose is more common but have read that some cars go the opposite way. I found a thread on a Honda forum with quite an argument about which way it went in their cars. It got a little heated and I'm not sure it was ever resolved.

ssoliman (09-03-2021)
Old 09-03-2021, 01:07 AM
nd-photo.nl
6th Gear
Good to know that it was a human error which was corrected easily

Old 09-03-2021, 01:46 AM
ChiefM
5th Gear
YAY for the test drive!

Old 09-03-2021, 11:39 AM
ssoliman
5th Gear
Received 139 Likes on 123 Posts
Originally Posted by dmath
Didn't take long to determine the problem from yesterday: I'm an idiot. When I installed the supercharger with new water pump, I neglected to attach the small hose to the pump. At least I figured it out without removing the supercharger (and everything that goes along with it). With that connection made, I pulled a vacuum at the reservoir. It held for 5 minutes so I filled with coolant and started it up. I guess it ran for about 15 minutes. No coolant or oil leaks.

With that good news, I decided to put the front wheels back on and take it for a short drive just on our street. I hadn't driven the car except for steering while my son and a friend pushed it into the garage after delivery. Very exciting.

Didn't even bother putting the front bumper back on (our street is a long cul-de-sac so there is little chance of encountering another car). I grabbed my son and off we went. Not only is this the first time I've driven that car, it's the first time I've driven an R53. First impressions: Very taut. I like the handling a lot (though it needs an alignment). Great throttle response. Nice whine from the supercharger. A lot of fun, for about 5 minutes.

We only drove a couple of miles and noticed the temperature creeping up. We were on the way back home already and took it very easy. After pulling into the garage, noticed that it was leaking coolant. Didn't have time to really dig into it but I think it's coming from the radiator. Will try to confirm tomorrow, though I don't have a pressure tester. I guess when I ran it in the garage, the thermostat didn't open so it didn't leak. Either that or it's a new leak that just happened during that 5 minute drive.

Even with the coolant leak it was a good day. I think I'm going to have a lot of fun with that car.

Just out of curiosity, which way does the coolant enter the radiator? Through the top hose or the bottom hose? I know that the top hose is more common but have read that some cars go the opposite way. I found a thread on a Honda forum with quite an argument about which way it went in their cars. It got a little heated and I'm not sure it was ever resolved.
first drive is very exciting. The mini is unique. I’ve never driven a car with the same feel…

the coolant pips are a maze. I’d like to understand the flow also

Quick Reply: R50/53 Another 2003 Indi Blue MCS Rescue Thread