R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Thoughts on replacing front factory shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2022, 05:13 PM
Here2Go
NAM Community Team
Received 1,001 Likes on 617 Posts
The verdict is in = Koni Yellow adjustable.

The following 2 users liked this post by Here2Go:
MCS4FUN (01-17-2022), ssoliman (01-17-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 06:11 PM
dmath
6th Gear
Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts
Old 01-18-2022, 02:40 PM
Here2Go
NAM Community Team
Originally Posted by TheBigChill
I have the sandwich arrangement and it's working fine. I don't recall which plates I'm using.
I'm not sure if you've already bought a shock/strut set, but you shouldn't be putting lowering springs on B4 or B6's. If you need to save $ for a bit longer to get the right thing, do that. There's no value in half-assing it just so you can save $200 and swap the parts a month earlier.
Yep. What "BigChili" (and others for that matter) said...
I had new front struts and all front end bushings re done several thousand miles ago. I put lowering springs on those OEM struts about 1½+ years ago = 8-10k ago. Love the look, but the ride has noticeably degraded (Not surprising), since then with those OEM struts. I've been dragging around the OEM springs in a box, with me since then.
' not sure how long OEM struts should last...FL is flat and doesn't have near the amount of pot holes. Austin, ABQ & Atlanta on the otherhand, have not been so kind.- So I suppose 55K (w/out lowering springs) is a fair run.

Last edited by Here2Go; 01-18-2022 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-21-2022, 01:39 PM
WheelNut
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Here is something to keep in mind when selecting struts/shocks. The compression rates vary between different models and the big difference between struts is whether or not they have speed sensitive valving (wheel compression speed, not road speed). Koni has some charts showing this on their website. The FSD shocks have a lower damping rate at high speeds which means that when you go over a hole in the road the damper lets the wheel move faster, which means less energy from the that bump makes its way to the body of the car. The low speed damper rate can be kept high so that when you turn into a corner the outer wheel doesn't compress as quickly, so you get a faster steering response feeling. This soft damping at high compression speeds and normal/hard damping at low compression speeds is called a digressive damping curve. Bilstein B6/B8 and Koni FSDs have valving that allows for digressive damping. Koni yellows are adjustable, but only for rebound, which only has a mild effect on ride quality, but a big effect on the feel of the car on turn in.

The following 2 users liked this post by WheelNut:
Chris88 (01-23-2022), ssoliman (01-21-2022)
Old 01-21-2022, 02:04 PM
Here2Go
NAM Community Team
WheelNut - VERY informative info. Thanks!
I was looking for the FSD w/adjustable ride height (?) Although it keeps coming up as NA or as Koni Special Active (reds).
I haven't purchased the Koni struts yet. Are the "Special Actives" the new variant of the FSDs' ?
I don't see the 'reds' w/the adjustable ride height like the original gold FSD. (the gold are a bit out of my $$ budget anyway).
Are Koni SA better than the Koni Yellow adjustable?

Thanks.

EDIT: You may disregard my last question " Koni SA vs Koni Yellow" - ECS Tuning site description states, from Koni "FSD (red) should not be used with lowering springs".
AND: I think I've may have been confused between looking at adjustable coil overs and the Koni FSD.

Last edited by Here2Go; 01-21-2022 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-21-2022, 02:30 PM
Here2Go
NAM Community Team
Ooops! - Disregard ...corrected above.

Last edited by Here2Go; 01-21-2022 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-21-2022, 03:01 PM
WheelNut
2nd Gear
As far as I know the Special Active and Frequency Selective Damping are the same thing. Koni randomly changed the name of them a few years ago. I can't recall ever seeing any ride height adjustable struts from Koni. It seems to be pretty common that finding information on dampers is really difficult. Koni has a bit of info, but it takes a while to go through it all and comprehend it. Bilstein tells us consumers almost nothing.

Why are you wanting to lower your car anyhow? What are your driving goals?

Old 01-21-2022, 03:16 PM
Here2Go
NAM Community Team
Originally Posted by WheelNut
Why are you wanting to lower your car anyhow? What are your driving goals?
Purely aesthetic. Not practical perhaps. Just being honest.
The lowering springs and the stock shocks/strut combination wasn't too bad a ride for the first couple of thousand miles. The struts already had 35k+ mi on them at the time.
I am sure the lowering springs shortened their life expectancy vs stock. However, I love the look. I don't track. I don't have $800+ for high end struts.

Old 01-21-2022, 03:37 PM
WheelNut
2nd Gear
The cynic in me says that on an R53 there is so little suspension travel with the car lowered I doubt it makes much difference what shocks you choose. You're damn well nearly on the bump stops from the factory. Something with a really stiff compression stroke might be better matched to trying to absorb bumps while only have a couple inches of compression stroke. So, Koni Yellows are probably a decent choice. Plus they have a **** you can fiddle with, which should make you feel like you are in control of how the car rides.

Anyhow take my opinion with a grain of salt. I've never changed the shocks on my Mini. I just read catalogs and watch videos about how shock valving works. No real work butt dyno experience with any of the shocks listed above. I did have Koni yellows on my E36 and the ride wasn't amazing, but that car was pretty low so there wasn't much suspension compression stroke. The Mini actually uses the same basic suspension layout as the E36, but that doesn't mean my experiences with that car apply at all to the Mini.

The following users liked this post:
ssoliman (01-21-2022)
Old 05-30-2023, 07:47 AM
Cassidypal
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by megaDan
B4's are NOT recommended for use with lowering springs.

I personally recommend the B4s for use with stock springs. Combined with other simple mods (RSB, IE camber plates, poly bushings), they provide a fantastically sporty ride.
Some time ago I purchased B4's, IE camber plates, and some fresh bump stops. After snapping the heads off of both the pinch bolts, the project got put on the back burner... I've put them on the marketplace, but if they don't sell I think it's time to finally tackle the job.

While I'm there, I may as well replace the springs; would you recommend just buying the stock replacement, or is there a slight upgrade to be made in the spring department that pairs well with the B4 and ie plates?
Thx

Old 05-30-2023, 01:15 PM
megaDan
4th Gear
Received 191 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Cassidypal
Some time ago I purchased B4's, IE camber plates, and some fresh bump stops. After snapping the heads off of both the pinch bolts, the project got put on the back burner... I've put them on the marketplace, but if they don't sell I think it's time to finally tackle the job.

While I'm there, I may as well replace the springs; would you recommend just buying the stock replacement, or is there a slight upgrade to be made in the spring department that pairs well with the B4 and ie plates?
Thx
Stock replacement. Or if you're feeling really spicy, get the JCW Reds (no experience with them, but they're highly regarded). I was thoroughly pleased with the B4/Stock Spring/Fixed Camber Plate/RSB option. You could try an aftermarket spring but you'll likely be replacing the shocks. But, they're so cheap it might be worth a try (as long as you report back).

The following users liked this post:
Cassidypal (05-31-2023)
Old 05-30-2023, 05:33 PM
Here2Go
NAM Community Team
Wow - It's been18 months already since I had started this discussion?

Since then I've run B4's all the way around at stock height. I liked the ride which was comparable to factory.
Shortly thereafter I ran lowering springs up front only with the B4's, daily driven 25mi/day, for about 6 months . Surprisingly the B4's held up. The ride was fine (for lowered front) and didn't blow the dampers.
At that time, I finally got around to placing my order for a pair of front Koni Yellows and swapped out the front B4's and installed the front Koni's with lowering springs while keeping the (non lowered) B4's in the rear.
Although either struts were an improvement; In all honesty - as much as I played with the damping adjustment **** on the Koni's - I really could never feel that much of a difference between stock, B4's, with or without lowering springs....Then again I never ran the Koni's without lowering springs.
I've always had small cars that sat lower to the ground. So I suppose I was used to a stiff harsh suspension.

I was just reminded; (having read one of my earlier posts), about not having $800 to drop on a set of struts/shocks.
Funny how circumstances have changed. I just received my set of 4) Bilstein B14 coil overs a couple of weeks ago in anticipation for a complete front end refresh. Yeah - they cost considerably more than $800....but...

I can't wait to see how they feel/perform by comparison.

The following 2 users liked this post by Here2Go:
Cassidypal (05-31-2023), ghostwrench (06-03-2023)
Old 05-30-2023, 07:06 PM
deepgrey
6th Gear
Received 354 Likes on 274 Posts
Out of curiosity, what lowering springs are you running? I wonder what the rates are.

I notice a difference when changing the rebound on my Konis. In fact, I just took a half a turn out of the rears on Saturday.

Old 05-30-2023, 07:27 PM
Here2Go
NAM Community Team
Originally Posted by deepgrey
Out of curiosity, what lowering springs are you running? I wonder what the rates are.

I notice a difference when changing the rebound on my Konis. In fact, I just took a half a turn out of the rears on Saturday.
You have a good point - I am running some crappy cheapo no name brand lowering springs.
I have no idea what the rate is.
Don't get me wrong - The Koni's are great but I've always (for the most part), have had coil overs on my previous cars.
My choices were limited to affordability and admittedly = ignorance.
I just always loved the "nose down"/angled look.

Looking forward to getting back on coil overs. For sure.

Old 05-30-2023, 08:00 PM
deepgrey
6th Gear
Received 354 Likes on 274 Posts
Oh yeah. I’m sure good coilovers are better than single-adjustable Konis.

Old 05-31-2023, 09:10 AM
Cassidypal
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by megaDan
Stock replacement. Or if you're feeling really spicy, get the JCW Reds (no experience with them, but they're highly regarded). I was thoroughly pleased with the B4/Stock Spring/Fixed Camber Plate/RSB option. You could try an aftermarket spring but you'll likely be replacing the shocks. But, they're so cheap it might be worth a try (as long as you report back).
Originally Posted by Here2Go
Wow - It's been18 months already since I had started this discussion?

Since then I've run B4's all the way around at stock height. I liked the ride which was comparable to factory.
Shortly thereafter I ran lowering springs up front only with the B4's, daily driven 25mi/day, for about 6 months . Surprisingly the B4's held up. The ride was fine (for lowered front) and didn't blow the dampers.
At that time, I finally got around to placing my order for a pair of front Koni Yellows and swapped out the front B4's and installed the front Koni's with lowering springs while keeping the (non lowered) B4's in the rear.
Although either struts were an improvement; In all honesty - as much as I played with the damping adjustment **** on the Koni's - I really could never feel that much of a difference between stock, B4's, with or without lowering springs....Then again I never ran the Koni's without lowering springs.
I've always had small cars that sat lower to the ground. So I suppose I was used to a stiff harsh suspension.

I was just reminded; (having read one of my earlier posts), about not having $800 to drop on a set of struts/shocks.
Funny how circumstances have changed. I just received my set of 4) Bilstein B14 coil overs a couple of weeks ago in anticipation for a complete front end refresh. Yeah - they cost considerably more than $800....but...

I can't wait to see how they feel/perform by comparison.
Roger that! Thanks for the advice. Sounds like B4's and some fresh OEM springs are a nice freshen up. Perhaps paired with fixed camber plates and RSB is one of the better middle of the road set ups? Will report back...but no one hold their breath

Let us know how you like those B14s! I rarely hear about anyone running anything other than Koni FSD's or the Megan Racing coilovers.

Old 06-03-2023, 12:52 PM
ghostwrench
4th Gear
Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by Cassidypal

Let us know how you like those B14s! I rarely hear about anyone running anything other than Koni FSD's or the Megan Racing coilovers.
Add me to the list of people waiting for your impressions of the B14's!

I will be ordering either the B12 or B14 set up next month and am eager for reviews on either of them.

Old 06-03-2023, 02:15 PM
Here2Go
NAM Community Team
' will most certainly update.
However you'll probably have your Bilstein (12 or 14), coil overs before I get a chance to install mine. I've got an open "place holder" for a garage when I am ready to drop the subfarame for a complete suspension overhaul.
It is difficult for me to take time off from work during this time of the year.
Having traded off my Koni yellows (6k mi on them), for a pair of panther black leather sport seats (my faux driver is cracked and worn), I am back on the B4's all the way around.
No complaints there (the ride is just fine).