R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Help with water temp gauge install

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2022, 07:02 PM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
Received 630 Likes on 497 Posts
Help with water temp gauge install

Soooooo. Is there a signal wire or from the stock coolant sensor could I run a wire to a digital water temp gauge ?
how do the vdo gauges install ? I am loosing ability to use my multi gauge so I need to monitor coolant Temps . I watch them on my multi gauge and where ever it's getting the info from is very accurate and I'd prefer that source.
i dont want to BUT I WILL if it gets accurate readings but what hose could i spilce a sensor for the gauge into ? I dont want one that only gets flow after the thermostat opens because if my thermostat fails I wanna know plus I run it hard I need to monitor coolant Temps . Sucks I'm loosing iat readings too but I really wanna run this shift gauge and my obd port will not work with splitter so I have to pick n choose unfortunately 😫 😕 😩..
PLEASE HELP !!!! I NEED this gauge in asap

Old 04-04-2022, 06:35 AM
wmcoons
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Until you figure something else out you can display the actual coolant temp in degrees C using the hidden menu. Downside is, as far as I know you have to turn it on before you start the car every time.

Copy pasted from here:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-obc-menu.html

Seeing as I mentioned this in another thread elsewhere on MINI2, here's a quick how-to on getting a bit more information from your MINI's computer.

The information displays in place of your mileometer, so you DO NOT have to have the MINI OBC/Trip Computer option to see this.

A complete list of functions is below, this example is how to get into the menu number '7'.
  1. With the key in the ignition, but in the off position, press and hold down the odometer reset button, while holding the button down, switch the key in the ignition to position 1.
  2. The screen will say 'Test' and a number.
  3. Scroll through, (pressing reset button) through to test 19 and wait a moment.
  4. Wait and the message will say "log i-off" then "log i-on" and back to "log i-off" again. When "log i-off" appears, press again. You are now in the system. (Woooo)
  5. You can (if you wish) start the ignition any time from now.
  6. Scroll through to test 7.0 (or whichever from the list below) and wait a moment, after a pause you will enter the test 7.* range of information.
  7. You can scroll through now (7.1,7.2,7.3 etc.) using the reset button.
  8. You can exit each menu by pressing, holding for a few seconds, then releasing the reset button.
  9. To leave the system scroll to 19 and leave it for a few moments.
    Switching off the ignition also exits the system.
Test:

1.0 Chassis number
1.1 Kilometer count
1.2 Parts number
1.3 Coding-, Diagnostic- and Bus-index
1.4 Production Date (Calender week/year)
1.5 Hard- and Software status
1.6 Injectorstatus, Cylinder count, Engine factor.

2.0 Combisystem Test

3.0 Service intervall counter

4.0 Actual fuel consumption in l/100km. eg.0154 = 15,4 liters/100kms.
4.1 Consumption in liters/100kms.

5.0 Distance consumption in l/100kms.
5.1 Actual rest distance with available fuel in Kms.

6.0 Actual amount of fuel in tank. eg. 123321 =12,3liters left 32,1 liters right
6.1 Total amount of fuel in tank.
6.2 Show value of Fuel guage. 1= both senders OK, 2= sender failure, 3=ti signal unplausible (no reading)

7.0 Actual coolant temp.
7.1 Actual outside temp.
7.2 Actual engine revs.
7.3 Actual speed

8.0 Hexadecimal readings of menu 7.0 to 7.3

9.0 Actual on board voltage (Battery)

10.0 Land codes

11.0 Unit codes

12.0 No funktion

13.0 Gong test

14.0 - 14.4 On board diagnostic codes. eg 000000 = no failures

15.0 - 18.0 No funktion

19.0 On/Off for Test menu.

20.0 Correction factor for Fuel consumption
Formula for correction:
Shown consumption x 1000 / user defined consumption
Push the trip reset button to begin the correction. Numbers count up from 0-9, when correct number shows push trip reset button.

20.1 Sets 10ths. for consumption factor
20.2 Sets 100ths. and 1000ths. for consumption factor
20.3 Saves the new consumption factor and shows new value

21.0 Software reset. (Same as disconnecting battery)

Notes:

I have not been able to get speed into MPH, if you can update me with how to do this (if it's possible), then feel free to do so.

Your MINI's computer may give more or less information than stated above.

The following users liked this post:
ssoliman (04-08-2022)
Old 04-04-2022, 06:44 AM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
Originally Posted by wmcoons
Until you figure something else out you can display the actual coolant temp in degrees C using the hidden menu. Downside is, as far as I know you have to turn it on before you start the car every time.

Copy pasted from here:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-obc-menu.html

Seeing as I mentioned this in another thread elsewhere on MINI2, here's a quick how-to on getting a bit more information from your MINI's computer.

The information displays in place of your mileometer, so you DO NOT have to have the MINI OBC/Trip Computer option to see this.

A complete list of functions is below, this example is how to get into the menu number '7'.
  1. With the key in the ignition, but in the off position, press and hold down the odometer reset button, while holding the button down, switch the key in the ignition to position 1.
  2. The screen will say 'Test' and a number.
  3. Scroll through, (pressing reset button) through to test 19 and wait a moment.
  4. Wait and the message will say "log i-off" then "log i-on" and back to "log i-off" again. When "log i-off" appears, press again. You are now in the system. (Woooo)
  5. You can (if you wish) start the ignition any time from now.
  6. Scroll through to test 7.0 (or whichever from the list below) and wait a moment, after a pause you will enter the test 7.* range of information.
  7. You can scroll through now (7.1,7.2,7.3 etc.) using the reset button.
  8. You can exit each menu by pressing, holding for a few seconds, then releasing the reset button.
  9. To leave the system scroll to 19 and leave it for a few moments.
    Switching off the ignition also exits the system.
Test:

1.0 Chassis number
1.1 Kilometer count
1.2 Parts number
1.3 Coding-, Diagnostic- and Bus-index
1.4 Production Date (Calender week/year)
1.5 Hard- and Software status
1.6 Injectorstatus, Cylinder count, Engine factor.

2.0 Combisystem Test

3.0 Service intervall counter

4.0 Actual fuel consumption in l/100km. eg.0154 = 15,4 liters/100kms.
4.1 Consumption in liters/100kms.

5.0 Distance consumption in l/100kms.
5.1 Actual rest distance with available fuel in Kms.

6.0 Actual amount of fuel in tank. eg. 123321 =12,3liters left 32,1 liters right
6.1 Total amount of fuel in tank.
6.2 Show value of Fuel guage. 1= both senders OK, 2= sender failure, 3=ti signal unplausible (no reading)

7.0 Actual coolant temp.
7.1 Actual outside temp.
7.2 Actual engine revs.
7.3 Actual speed

8.0 Hexadecimal readings of menu 7.0 to 7.3

9.0 Actual on board voltage (Battery)

10.0 Land codes

11.0 Unit codes

12.0 No funktion

13.0 Gong test

14.0 - 14.4 On board diagnostic codes. eg 000000 = no failures

15.0 - 18.0 No funktion

19.0 On/Off for Test menu.

20.0 Correction factor for Fuel consumption
Formula for correction:
Shown consumption x 1000 / user defined consumption
Push the trip reset button to begin the correction. Numbers count up from 0-9, when correct number shows push trip reset button.

20.1 Sets 10ths. for consumption factor
20.2 Sets 100ths. and 1000ths. for consumption factor
20.3 Saves the new consumption factor and shows new value

21.0 Software reset. (Same as disconnecting battery)

Notes:

I have not been able to get speed into MPH, if you can update me with how to do this (if it's possible), then feel free to do so.

Your MINI's computer may give more or less information than stated above.
yeaaaa I'm absolutely not doing that every time I get in my car but I will try and see if I can fit it to display coolant temp and if it will stay.
I need to know how to wire in a guage..Anybody ??? Can someone just go look at their vdo gauges I know you have and tell me what the signal wire is running to ???
and if the stock gauge is pulling a value from somwhere , where ??? I wanna tap into that source

Old 04-04-2022, 08:34 PM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
Somebody PLEASE . Lol I have only 1x option left to try to get a dial gauge working. I need to know how to wire in a gauge and unfortunately there NO writeups and I'd like this to be one for future references. Plz somebody ANYBODY..

Old 04-06-2022, 09:30 PM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
Can anybody tell me if I could possibly remove the rear freeze or drain plug in the block in the water jacket , that would be alot better than running an adapter into a coolant hose.. or I'm trying to see if I could fit a T adapter in the head on for that collant spot as I know that's the best spot...
cmon anybody , I know soooooooomeone out there has info on this..im BEGGING you. Lol