R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Supercharger Whine Sound Tube Mod

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2022 | 03:33 PM
Oldboy Speedwell
|
6th Gear
Curious if the Quicksilver system was actually made from all titanium?

Yes,
it is an annoying video, I know I know --- why the dramatic music instead of glorious sound?

Old 04-27-2022 | 04:21 PM
dmath
6th Gear
It seems that this thread has lost sight of what's really important: supercharger whine! @jcolletteiii is right, an airbox that draws directly from the cowl area gives a nice increase in whine sound in the cabin. I would want to hear a Mini with a sound tube before I'd be willing to do that mod. I love the whine but I don't want it to scream.

The following users liked this post:
Oldboy Speedwell (04-27-2022)
Old 04-27-2022 | 04:53 PM
Oldboy Speedwell
|
6th Gear

A win for the whine!

Old 04-27-2022 | 05:21 PM
dmath
6th Gear
The Minis in the video sound good -- obvious SC sound but not too loud. My favorite part is the JCW sign over the track.

I've been thinking about where one would install the sound tube. The snorkel seems too far from the supercharger; I wouldn't want to cut into the JCW airbox; so maybe the duct from the airbox to the throttle body?

Oldboy Speedwell (04-27-2022)
Old 04-27-2022 | 05:50 PM
Oldboy Speedwell
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dmath
The Minis in the video sound good -- obvious SC sound but not too loud. My favorite part is the JCW sign over the track.

I've been thinking about where one would install the sound tube. The snorkel seems too far from the supercharger; I wouldn't want to cut into the JCW airbox; so maybe the duct from the airbox to the throttle body?
Yep, I was thinking that'd be the best spot --- easy to replace part as well so wouldn't freak out about drilling a hole in one.

Bigger conundrum is pathway through firewall --- I haven't investigated that aspect yet.

And yeah,
the JCW sign was cool!

A while back a guy on UK 'bay was selling Mk.1 logo banners and I bought one --- it looks great!

Embarrassed though to share this pic because I haven't repaired the sheetrock in my garage! LOL

Supercharger Whine Sound Tube Mod-l19g6om.jpg

Last edited by Oldboy Speedwell; 04-27-2022 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-27-2022 | 09:23 PM
jcolletteiii
6th Gear
I have to say - I have one of the loudest exhausts there is - Borla race. With the airbox-cowl mod, my S/C whine is ***in your face***, sort of like a drunk fat dude with a big blue letter on his jiggling belly at a football game, unabashedly announcing its presence.

Two things... 1) I can't imagine an exhaust louder than a Borla race, and 2) if my S/C whine was any louder, I might not be able to stand it.

EDIT: Why not do the airbox mod? The JCW intake flappy thing uses the same airbox bottom half, right? You only mod the airbox bottom, not the top...

EDIT 2: nope, I see it uses a different bottom half too.

Oldboy Speedwell (04-28-2022)
Old 04-28-2022 | 04:51 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jcolletteiii
I have to say - I have one of the loudest exhausts there is - Borla race. With the airbox-cowl mod, my S/C whine is ***in your face***, sort of like a drunk fat dude with a big blue letter on his jiggling belly at a football game, unabashedly announcing its presence.

Two things... 1) I can't imagine an exhaust louder than a Borla race, and 2) if my S/C whine was any louder, I might not be able to stand it.

EDIT: Why not do the airbox mod? The JCW intake flappy thing uses the same airbox bottom half, right? You only mod the airbox bottom, not the top...

EDIT 2: nope, I see it uses a different bottom half too.
I think the JCW uses the same bottom box?

Not a bad idea about trying out a different airbox, I've just never considered it because I love the JCW version, but also love loud whine so it'd be up my alley to change it out and see how a good aftermarket unit sounds and performs.

What's available out there now? I haven't ever looked really but just did a quick search and the units that remove the cowl completely appeal to me, like DDM-M7-Cravenspeed style, any others to consider?

http://www.billswebspace.com/MiniR53DDMCAI.htm

Could always go back to stock if I don't like it, but I imagine that I would, just conflicted due to JCW fanboyism! LOL such clean factory look y'know?

I really hope that the resonated Scorpion will do the trick though, slightly louder than stock JCW but quieter than non-res Milltek.

And,
because JDM is sprinkled in this thread,
here's some Harrison headers...

Supercharger Whine Sound Tube Mod-ndb01qb.jpg
Supercharger Whine Sound Tube Mod-0puaw7b.jpg

Last edited by Oldboy Speedwell; 04-28-2022 at 04:58 AM.
Old 04-28-2022 | 05:25 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
|
6th Gear
Another note,
the Scorpion manifold makes a profound impact to loudness of sound...

...even with a stock JCW exhaust, headers seem to pump up the volume, watched this viddie of a RMW street header with stock JCW and it sounds much much louder than with the stock manifold:

RMW is 4-1

Scorpion is 4-2-1

So then I started wondering about differences in tone between 4-1 and 4-2-1,
this video of an Integra
shows a pretty dramatic
difference
between
them...

Old 04-28-2022 | 05:45 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
|
6th Gear
Things that don't exist anymore department:

Jackson Racing header

Old 04-28-2022 | 06:04 AM
dmath
6th Gear
@Oldboy Speedwell Is your JCW airbox installed with or without the flap? I installed mine without the flap because I want the increased whine throughout the RPM range.

Old 04-28-2022 | 06:35 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dmath
@Oldboy Speedwell Is your JCW airbox installed with or without the flap? I installed mine without the flap because I want the increased whine throughout the RPM range.
de-flapped with the entire vacuum system removed

Supercharger Whine Sound Tube Mod-du25dnf.jpg

Old 04-28-2022 | 06:37 AM
jcolletteiii
6th Gear
I didn't feel like my OBX header made that much of an impact on sound at all, and I removed the precat. It's a 4 to 2 to 1 design as well. Could be because of the already loud Borla...

That Harrison is one nice looking header.

Old 04-28-2022 | 07:15 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
|
6th Gear
Name:  jmVHEDy.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  28.8 KB

Yeah,
the Japanese stuff is neat to see.

Moar JDM ~

Supercharger Whine Sound Tube Mod-sivc5dc.png
Supercharger Whine Sound Tube Mod-qowgpqg.jpg
Supercharger Whine Sound Tube Mod-mjrjiob.jpg
Supercharger Whine Sound Tube Mod-1endiib.jpg

Supercharger Whine Sound Tube Mod-y4a53l7.jpg
Supercharger Whine Sound Tube Mod-ztmvh0t.jpg
Supercharger Whine Sound Tube Mod-ylstydd.jpg
Supercharger Whine Sound Tube Mod-5l6xybz.jpg

Old 04-28-2022 | 07:37 AM
Soul Coughing
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Oldboy Speedwell
Curious if the Quicksilver system was actually made from all titanium?

https://youtu.be/P7RWtzTkfXQ

Yes,
it is an annoying video, I know I know --- why the dramatic music instead of glorious sound?
Very interesting! I never knew that Quicksilver made a Ti exhaust for the r53. I have a Quicksilver exhaust that I used to have on my old '03 and the drone the thing had was insane. It's sitting in my barn doing nothing right now; I probably need to clean it up and put it up for sale.

I'm much happier with my JCW exhaust now, but do miss having the RMW header - I have the stock header right now. I found that having the RMW shorty, with only the one cat increased the exhaust by about 15-25% and made the whole experience that much better without introducing any drone, and only a little bit more noise in the interior. My GP has the JCW intake, but I removed the airbox valve completely, and removed the little plastic cover that connects the airbox to the cowl so that I get as much supercharger whine as physically possible! Many people enlarge the hole between the stock box and cowl to increase the sound!

Old 04-28-2022 | 07:50 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Soul Coughing
Very interesting! I never knew that Quicksilver made a Ti exhaust for the r53. I have a Quicksilver exhaust that I used to have on my old '03 and the drone the thing had was insane. It's sitting in my barn doing nothing right now; I probably need to clean it up and put it up for sale.

I'm much happier with my JCW exhaust now, but do miss having the RMW header - I have the stock header right now. I found that having the RMW shorty, with only the one cat increased the exhaust by about 15-25% and made the whole experience that much better without introducing any drone, and only a little bit more noise in the interior. My GP has the JCW intake, but I removed the airbox valve completely, and removed the little plastic cover that connects the airbox to the cowl so that I get as much supercharger whine as physically possible! Many people enlarge the hole between the stock box and cowl to increase the sound!

Thanks for weighing in!

For sure someone would buy that Quicksilver exhaust, would love to see pictures of it, tempted to buy it myself just because it'd be cool to have a collection of various exhausts LOL but you say it's extra-loud so probably not for me but some people really like the louder stuff so I'm sure it'd sell --- I used to think that the R53 was over-muffled and I wouldn't have any qualms about going non-resonated, but the Milltek non-res in combo with the Scorp header has changed my mind otherwise, I'm an older guy though who prefers a more subtle sound, in my wild youth I would have no doubt loved the higher volume of what I'm running right now.

And,
since GP,
well then I get to post up one of my favorite videos...

Old 04-28-2022 | 09:44 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
|
6th Gear

Still bouncing around in JDMworld...

...the tips on this WirusWin exhaust are huuuuuuuuge!

Supercharger Whine Sound Tube Mod-leromkx.jpg
Supercharger Whine Sound Tube Mod-axvbscc.jpg

Supercharger Whine Sound Tube Mod-qnk5iki.jpg

:

Old 04-28-2022 | 09:47 AM
Soul Coughing
5th Gear

Thanks for weighing in!

For sure someone would buy that Quicksilver exhaust, would love to see pictures of it, tempted to buy it myself just because it'd be cool to have a collection of various exhausts LOL but you say it's extra-loud so probably not for me but some people really like the louder stuff so I'm sure it'd sell --- I used to think that the R53 was over-muffled and I wouldn't have any qualms about going non-resonated, but the Milltek non-res in combo with the Scorp header has changed my mind otherwise, I'm an older guy though who prefers a more subtle sound, in my wild youth I would have no doubt loved the higher volume of what I'm running right now.

And,
since GP,
well then I get to post up one of my favorite videos...

https://youtu.be/ZtPvdjbTqug
Lovely!

You may not want it. It was on my '03 for a while and needs to be rewelded on the can - the stainless came apart where the mount is. I actually reached out to quicksilver because they had a lifetime warranty on the exhaust, and said they'd fix it for me, but I'd have to ship it back to the UK. Didn't seem worth the cost if I could just do it myself. And yes, I loved the exhaust when I was in my twenties, but now that I'm nearer to 40, having no drone is amazing. I've probably lost most of my hearing from my cars and their super loud exhausts over the year. I'll get some photos though and you can check it out. It's got the oval exhaust pipe, and only one can. Sounded really nice, and never raspy.

Old 04-28-2022 | 09:48 AM
Soul Coughing
5th Gear

Yeah,
the Japanese stuff is neat to see.

https://youtu.be/UQs_n3eiYQA

Moar JDM ~

Love me some JDM on my Euro car! BTW, where does the right pipe go? Is it just a resonator? I don't see where the pipe ends.

Old 04-28-2022 | 10:01 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
|
6th Gear

Good stuff!

Is this the same Quicksilver?

Article said it only weighed 15 pounds!

Supercharger Whine Sound Tube Mod-2lolrct.jpg

Old 04-28-2022 | 10:02 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
|
6th Gear
Love me some JDM on my Euro car! BTW, where does the right pipe go? Is it just a resonator? I don't see where the pipe ends.
I think that it's just blanked off for mounting purposes, or perhaps a "race" option for opening it up?

Dunno really.

Old 04-28-2022 | 11:58 AM
Soul Coughing
5th Gear

Good stuff!

Is this the same Quicksilver?

Article said it only weighed 15 pounds!

That is almost the one. It's basically the same exhaust, but the can and how the exhaust pipe is connected is different. I remember trying to find the lightest exhaust, so that I could have the best power to weight. Found it used locally on NAM when this place used to be really active.

Old 04-28-2022 | 12:35 PM
njaremka
Alliance Member
<drool> JDM exhaust options....

I think that it's just blanked off for mounting purposes, or perhaps a "race" option for opening it up?

Dunno really.
Looks like it could be a Helmholtz chamber to reduce drone?

The following 2 users liked this post by njaremka:
Oldboy Speedwell (04-28-2022), Soul Coughing (04-28-2022)
Old 04-28-2022 | 12:38 PM
Oldboy Speedwell
|
6th Gear
That is almost the one. It's basically the same exhaust, but the can and how the exhaust pipe is connected is different. I remember trying to find the lightest exhaust, so that I could have the best power to weight. Found it used locally on NAM when this place used to be really active.
Yeah, I wish I would have been hip to how rad the R53 is much sooner, would have loved being around this place when NAM was poppin' large and the aftermarket was boomin'.

Sadly, I was late to the game.

Somewhat astounding to read some of the older threads and the number of responses are to the moon.

But,
I'm glad to be here now and I think it's still a pretty lively joint, and such a better interface than FB or whatever many people have migrated to. Old school forums are the best platform for sharing information in my opinion.

JDM again tho.

Noticed that old style gauge faces are quite popular in Japan.

Supercharger Whine Sound Tube Mod-1vgwvez.jpg
Supercharger Whine Sound Tube Mod-jyqxog1.jpg
Supercharger Whine Sound Tube Mod-iwqplc9.jpg

Modeled after the classic Smiths which was fitted to the originals.

Supercharger Whine Sound Tube Mod-4nnvoxr.jpg
Supercharger Whine Sound Tube Mod-y4efjdg.jpg

Offered by a company called MiniMax...

https://www.minimax-design.net/products/r50-r52-r53/

...with several different options available.

Supercharger Whine Sound Tube Mod-0o0w3ae.jpg

:

Soul Coughing (04-28-2022)
Old 04-28-2022 | 12:44 PM
Oldboy Speedwell
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
<drool> JDM exhaust options....

Looks like it could be a Helmholtz chamber to reduce drone?
Cool!

I was totally clueless that such a thing existed.

Here's one on a Miata:

Old 04-28-2022 | 12:52 PM
njaremka
Alliance Member
I don't know what car that is, but its not a Miata.

Goodwin Racing has a bunch of Helmholtz chamber exhaust options for Miata's:

The following 2 users liked this post by njaremka:
Oldboy Speedwell (04-28-2022), Soul Coughing (04-28-2022)

Quick Reply: R50/53 Supercharger Whine Sound Tube Mod