R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Supercharger Whine Sound Tube Mod

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2022 | 05:41 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dcraft
All I can say is wow!!😀. One of the most entertaining posts I have read in a long time! But, you really need to add an addendum to your first post (if you can) that for warns all readers that this post has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with a sound tube mod😀😀😀. Totally funny in so many ways! Reminds me of the "Shaving a Yak" build thread. Start off changing a spark plug and rebuilds whole car or whatever he started off doing??? By the time you get to the end you have completely forgot what it is you first came here for!!! LOL

an addendum was added halfway through the thread...

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4621237

Did actually see someone do the sound tube mod recently on a British R53 Facebook group, had a video of it and everything, tried to find it to post link here but of course couldn't find it again (one of the reasons that I'm not very fond of FB is because it is so frustratingly difficult to navigate for me), but will look again this morning and try to find it!

Further diversion:

I have long thought that the Rota Grid V is the best looking wheel for an R53:

Supercharger Whine Sound Tube Mod-fjbszhj.jpg

But I'm wary of running an 8" because romping vigorously over backroads I'm sure that I'd scrape and rub, plus I've seen other pics of them fitted where they didn't look quite right due to poke or whatever and I'm just not very good at getting perfect stance --- I'm envious of those who can set up like that where it looks so cool, but is it fashion over function? Is such a set-up guaranteed to rub/scrape over bumpy backroads when driving spiritedly?

And,
in other news:

Bat Boy!

Supercharger Whine Sound Tube Mod-brhiwnx.jpg

Last edited by Oldboy Speedwell; 07-17-2022 at 05:47 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Oldboy Speedwell:
Dcraft (07-17-2022), dmath (07-17-2022), ECSTuning (07-18-2022), Here2Go (07-17-2022)
Old 07-17-2022 | 07:09 PM
dmath
6th Gear
If you find the British sound tube video, beer is on me when (if) we move to Asheville. I imagine it's not that far from OBSville.

The following users liked this post:
Oldboy Speedwell (07-18-2022)
Old 07-18-2022 | 02:53 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dmath
If you find the British sound tube video, beer is on me when (if) we move to Asheville. I imagine it's not that far from OBSville.
I may try again this morning, but yesterday I gave up. I think it was posted like last week so shouldn't be so hard to find but some of the groups are highly active and last week seems like last year in FBworld, I searched each group but probably using incorrect search term because I cannot remember how he phrased it so I'm likely using incorrect terminology.

I'm about 3.5 hours from Asheville. I love it up there! It'd be a great place to move to.

Old 07-18-2022 | 05:38 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
|
6th Gear
Since the "shaving a yak" thread was mentioned, made me remember something - wasn't there a "gold standard" list of classic NAM threads somewhere?

There are so many great threads on NAM.

One of my favorites is titled "octane winter project" but I have it bookmarked under the simple title of "weight loss" as it is a perfect reference guide...

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...r-project.html

...like even pics of removing the roof rack brackets that he said were pretty heavy (they are somewhat hidden) and I intend to remove mine whenever I get around to replacing the headliner.

And something very pertinent to me is removing the rear seat brackets because I have RSD and they're totally unnecessary as well as aesthetically ugly not to mention impractical because they take up so much space of the cargo entry area --- I'm hoping to modify my side panels by cutting the plastic and smoothing that whole area out, but it remains to be seen how I will actually achieve that, I want it to look good but unsure how or what material I will utilize to make it happen, will know whenever I get around to it I reckon, will get some junkyard side panels for cutting and experimenting as I want to keep my originals intact (they're in very good condition) and those Orranje GP panel replicas require massive cutting of the panels so will do it all at one time and just hope I can figure out some solution that'll look acceptable.

Pics of the bracket I'm talking about from that "octane" thread, they didn't have to worry about modifying trim though because it is a stripped-out racecar.

Last edited by Oldboy Speedwell; 07-18-2022 at 05:45 AM.
Old 06-21-2023 | 07:28 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
|
6th Gear

Tried to find an old post where someone was talking on topic of t-shirts and official merch but couldn't find so thought might as well add here in this crazy allover thread...

...I'm always on the lookout for old official fashionista shid but all the designs that I like tend to be Womens or Kids fit, so was stoked to see this tee this morning for $8 buy-it-now in Mens medium, that simple silhouette design is one of my favorites from the wayback and wow now the R50 series is over 20 years old so can we call it vintage?

As seen in the 2004 MOTORINGGEAR brochure:

The following 4 users liked this post by Oldboy Speedwell:
deepgrey (06-21-2023), ECSTuning (06-26-2023), jcolletteiii (06-21-2023), Onizukachan (06-22-2023)
Old 06-25-2023 | 06:39 AM
Grand-Cayman
3rd Gear
The mustang video at the beginning of the thread was cool.

I think installing the pipe from the flexi hose from throttle body to airbox is the way to go. Not sure about getting thru firewall, but hose would not have to be large - 3/8" would probably work fine.

I deleted my flapper and have JCW airbox and Borla exhaust. I'd love to hear more SC whine, but mine is not bad. I drove mine without a hood once, and that's a good way to get some extra sound

The following users liked this post:
Oldboy Speedwell (07-14-2023)