R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Racing Dynamics cated header. Any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2023, 10:57 AM
hansvongeldern
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Racing Dynamics cated header. Any thoughts?

Hello everybody. A couple of years ago I got a "Becker performance" SS 4-2-1 header, which I heat wrapped before I got installed. Few days ago I checked underneath my MINI looking for smoke leaks, because I was smelling some fumes lately. Unfortunately I found some parts of my header, most likely the weldings, got rusted and actually it made a hole, or a couple at the very least.

So I'm looking for another heather, hopefully better built, but I don't want to break the bank and spend a significant portion of my car's value just on a header. So, before some research I think Racing Dynamics cated header fits most of my needs and usd500 seems a reasonable price for a sports header with 200 cell cat. But I don't want to screw it again so before buy it I would love to read some impressions from you guys.

thanks!

Old 01-03-2023, 12:33 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 505 Likes on 418 Posts
The Becker was another copy of the SuperSprint like the popular OBX. The current copy available is the X-Force, and it’s possible the three cooies are all the same header just with different names. Summit Racing has it on their site for $220.

If it were my car I would get an X-Force since a 4-2-1 is supposed to be better for torque, and it’s probably the same as the Becker which might make it possible to replace just the header itself. The wrap probably led to the failure so I would go without it unless you prefer a wrapped header.

Old 01-07-2023, 03:27 PM
OCR
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts
If the tubing is carbon steel, the wrap aid in early material failure.
Good stainless steel should NOT rust through.

I've been wrapping the headers on my motorcycles since the mid 90's. Some with clearance problems near oil or electrical parts...with "two"...layers of wrap. Using the DEI, Titanium material. Some early bikes had the old white wrap material, and still no rust through.
NEVER had any sort of rust through in either aftermarket or factory header material. And yes, unless it was a downpour, I drove my bikes in the rain.

Note on most headers and for sure on the Racing Dynamic header, if you have a JCW cylinder head...you'll need to open the ports in the header to match the port size in the cylinder head. I know tis problem for fact !
Most all headers were made for the standard exhaust port shape and size. Even though the Racing Dynamics header is a slightly larger tube size than the factory header...BEST TO VERIFY before bolting ANY header on.

Mike

Mike

The following users liked this post:
Grand-Cayman (01-15-2023)
Old 01-07-2023, 07:50 PM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
Received 630 Likes on 497 Posts
I'm running obx 421 header and I love it. Got rid of the raspy sound the 41 has..
check them out , they were very reasonably priced. Buuut you do need to have the different style collector welded onto the mid pipe but it is a better style clamp and stuff then as it ises a donut gasket instead of the flat pancake ones.
though I see they now are named " xforce not obx "
heres my dna 41 headers i got fir my other mini , lol look how much i ported their flange. If your running a ported head i highly suggest porting the header flange.

https://www.vividracing.com/-p-15241...kaAlU1EALw_wcB

Old 01-15-2023, 12:46 PM
ttawfik3
3rd Gear
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by hansvongeldern
Hello everybody. A couple of years ago I got a "Becker performance" SS 4-2-1 header, which I heat wrapped before I got installed. Few days ago I checked underneath my MINI looking for smoke leaks, because I was smelling some fumes lately. Unfortunately I found some parts of my header, most likely the weldings, got rusted and actually it made a hole, or a couple at the very least.

So I'm looking for another heather, hopefully better built, but I don't want to break the bank and spend a significant portion of my car's value just on a header. So, before some research I think Racing Dynamics cated header fits most of my needs and usd500 seems a reasonable price for a sports header with 200 cell cat. But I don't want to screw it again so before buy it I would love to read some impressions from you guys.
thanks!

Beware of drone. I have the racing dynamics header with a decat and it’s pretty painful. But I will not lie the power is there! I do feel the power but I suggest get the cat or what I am planning on doing, adding a small resonator

Old 01-15-2023, 01:40 PM
hansvongeldern
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for your opinion, I'm planning to keep it cated, also my jcw catback is resonated too so I think I shouldn't be worry about drone

Old 01-25-2023, 07:11 AM
DeeBeeCooper
1st Gear
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Good luck getting ahold of one! I ordered one through Emnotek back in October and it was on back order until 2 weeks ago when I finally cancelled it. Apparently, they CAT material supplier is having production and delivery issue. They couldn't provide me with an estimated date when they would be shipping again. Instead, I bought a stainless API header from PartsGeek ( I think it was from there). That thing is a pile of ****. Im pretty sure it was welded at the Lighthouse for the Blind. For 300 bucks, I wasn't expecting much. It will have to work until I can afford the Miltek. If you do get your hands on one, let us know how it looks. There's not many reviews on them yet.

Old 01-25-2023, 07:27 AM
ttawfik3
3rd Gear
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by DeeBeeCooper
Good luck getting ahold of one! I ordered one through Emnotek back in October and it was on back order until 2 weeks ago when I finally cancelled it. Apparently, they CAT material supplier is having production and delivery issue. They couldn't provide me with an estimated date when they would be shipping again. Instead, I bought a stainless API header from PartsGeek ( I think it was from there). That thing is a pile of ****. Im pretty sure it was welded at the Lighthouse for the Blind. For 300 bucks, I wasn't expecting much. It will have to work until I can afford the Miltek. If you do get your hands on one, let us know how it looks. There's not many reviews on them yet.
if your talking about the racing dynamics header with or without cat, I literally purchased it from their website racing dynamics. One was like 250 which I think is the decat and the other is abt 600 for a cat. Check their own website

Old 01-25-2023, 12:28 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,091 Likes on 1,865 Posts
We dont carry the decat stuff. just the catted. Sorry.

Catted is in stock right now: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-racing-d....08.53.550~rd/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-26-2023, 05:04 AM
DeeBeeCooper
1st Gear
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
I called Racing Dynamics at the beginning of the year ( they’re right up I95 fro me) and they were the ones who told me they were still on back order with no ETA. They were still taking orders in them though. It sounds like they got their supplier figured out. Let us know how it goes.

Old 01-29-2023, 09:08 AM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
Received 630 Likes on 497 Posts
Sorry my header isn't obx this is one I went with and it's doesn't drone but I'm running a resonated nvida exhaust behind it... if your considering a header look into this. I like that it uses a donut gasket instead of those junk flat gaskets.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/x...8aAhMBEALw_wcB

Old 02-01-2023, 08:52 AM
daviday
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniManAdam
I'm running obx 421 header and I love it. Got rid of the raspy sound the 41 has..
check them out , they were very reasonably priced. Buuut you do need to have the different style collector welded onto the mid pipe but it is a better style clamp and stuff then as it ises a donut gasket instead of the flat pancake ones.
though I see they now are named " xforce not obx "
heres my dna 41 headers i got fir my other mini , lol look how much i ported their flange. If your running a ported head i highly suggest porting the header flange.

https://www.vividracing.com/-p-15241...kaAlU1EALw_wcB
I'm pretty sure the set of headers I picked up off someone on craigslist last year are DNA. I haven't put them on because I thought I had read something about them cracking at the flex. What cat are you running with the DNA headers?