R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Mini Cooper R53 overheating!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2023, 02:23 PM
Tiagovito
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mini Cooper R53 overheating!

Car overheated today, while my wife was driving, she said smoke came out front end and pulled over.

engine light on, Miss fire cylinder 2 and p0117 engine coolant temperature low.

apon inspect vheicle coolant is very low, almost nothing on the tank, other then that I don’t see anything abnormal, don’t find any leak on engine bay and no fluid on the floor. Checked oil and does not have milky appearance, so I guess is no coolant going in crankcase.

Last weekend I serviced the supercharger, follow the most instructions I could and everything went well.

replaced water pump, thermostat and gasket, oil pan gasket, some hoses from cooling system. Also replaced fan resistor and check low speed fan, was working again.

after everything was back together fill up coolant, bleed the system following instructions found here in the forum.

everthing worked well, car never overheated, was running smooth and good power again until today.

do you think I could be something that I did wrong while servicing supercharger?

Old 04-16-2023, 02:25 PM
Tiagovito
1st Gear
What it could be? Did I bleed the system wrong?

Old 04-16-2023, 03:59 PM
RockC
5th Gear
Received 214 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally Posted by Tiagovito
Car overheated today, while my wife was driving, she said smoke came out front end and pulled over.

engine light on, Miss fire cylinder 2 and p0117 engine coolant temperature low.

apon inspect vheicle coolant is very low, almost nothing on the tank, other then that I don’t see anything abnormal, don’t find any leak on engine bay and no fluid on the floor. Checked oil and does not have milky appearance, so I guess is no coolant going in crankcase.

Last weekend I serviced the supercharger, follow the most instructions I could and everything went well.

replaced water pump, thermostat and gasket, oil pan gasket, some hoses from cooling system. Also replaced fan resistor and check low speed fan, was working again.

after everything was back together fill up coolant, bleed the system following instructions found here in the forum.

everthing worked well, car never overheated, was running smooth and good power again until today.

do you think I could be something that I did wrong while servicing supercharger?
It is possible you did something wrong servicing the supercharger. Not sure what that involves though so I can't point you to a specific area/item.

Best advice I can offer is refill the system with the proper mix of anti-freeze and water and be sure the system is completely filled. Shops use a vacuum lift system which subjects the cooling system to very low pressure -- enough to collapse the hoses -- then a valve is turned which opens a valve to a reservoir of fresh coolant which is vented to atmosphere. This pushes the coolant into the cooling system and fills the cooling system completely. (I had a couple of other cars with 2 and even 3 radiators that were filled this way and never any problems with air pockets.)

If you don't have access to a vacuum lift system some more knowledgeable than my say to raise a corner of the car so the fill point is higher than the rest of the cooling system. There is also at least one bleed valve that if present in your car's cooling system must be opened to let trapped air escape.

I am sorry I don't have the specifics. I believe a google search would turn up the necessary info though.

Then once you are sure the system is filled completely with the A/C off drive the car around town until the coolant is hot enough to cause the radiator fan to come on. Head home. (You shouldn't have strayed too far from home just in case a problem develops as the engine gets hot.)

On your driveway raise RPMs to ~1K and hold until the radiator fan comes on. Shut off the engine. Wait. And with caution. If there is a leak as the engine heat load raises coolant temperature and pressure the leak will be quite obvious.

Old 04-16-2023, 04:09 PM
Tiagovito
1st Gear
Originally Posted by RockC
It is possible you did something wrong servicing the supercharger. Not sure what that involves though so I can't point you to a specific area/item.

Best advice I can offer is refill the system with the proper mix of anti-freeze and water and be sure the system is completely filled. Shops use a vacuum lift system which subjects the cooling system to very low pressure -- enough to collapse the hoses -- then a valve is turned which opens a valve to a reservoir of fresh coolant which is vented to atmosphere. This pushes the coolant into the cooling system and fills the cooling system completely. (I had a couple of other cars with 2 and even 3 radiators that were filled this way and never any problems with air pockets.)

If you don't have access to a vacuum lift system some more knowledgeable than my say to raise a corner of the car so the fill point is higher than the rest of the cooling system. There is also at least one bleed valve that if present in your car's cooling system must be opened to let trapped air escape.

I am sorry I don't have the specifics. I believe a google search would turn up the necessary info though.

Then once you are sure the system is filled completely with the A/C off drive the car around town until the coolant is hot enough to cause the radiator fan to come on. Head home. (You shouldn't have strayed too far from home just in case a problem develops as the engine gets hot.)

On your driveway raise RPMs to ~1K and hold until the radiator fan comes on. Shut off the engine. Wait. And with caution. If there is a leak as the engine heat load raises coolant temperature and pressure the leak will be quite obvious.
after picking up coolant and start refilling just find how lots coolant on the floor, dripping where front radiator is!! Have a leak somewhere, funny is the leak came only after a week driving

Old 04-16-2023, 04:11 PM
Buggy
2nd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Your situation sounds eerily familiar to the issue I had last June when I did major preventative maintenance like you spoke of. It turned out to be a defective thermostat and then a replacement ***** up by the mechanic I hired.
New parts seem to have serious quality issues these days, where now I will only wait till something is broken to replace it vs. replacing a part that is still working and thinking I will get a head of the curve. My guess is these crap parts are a product of the Covid shutdown and lack of quality workers available to make new replacement parts. Here is my original thread if you want to read through it and hear my tale of woe;
PS, read the last note at the bottom to read the final result.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...intenance.html

Last edited by Buggy; 04-16-2023 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-16-2023, 04:36 PM
Tiagovito
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Buggy
Your situation sounds eerily familiar to the issue I had last June when I did major preventative maintenance like you spoke of. It turned out to be a defective thermostat and then a replacement ***** up by the mechanic I hired.
New parts seem to have serious quality issues these days, where now I will only wait till something is broken to replace it vs. replacing a part that is still working and thinking I will get a head of the curve. My guess is these crap parts are a product of the Covid shutdown and lack of quality workers available to make new replacement parts. Here is my original thread if you want to read through it and hear my tale of woe;
PS, read the last note at the bottom to read the final result.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...intenance.html
thanks!! I thought about that after searching around fórum for any post with similar issue.

But was adding coolant minutes ago and find coolant dripping from bottom as u was filling it!!

Old 04-17-2023, 09:24 PM
Tiagovito
1st Gear
Little update!!

Found the leak and cause of overheating.

when installing supercharger also replace some coolant houses for silicone ones.
the hose goes from water pump to the bottom of radiator apparently was touching the cooling fan and over the week the fan blades were rubbing/ cutting the hose.

replace the hose back with original one and tomorrow will grab more coolant and try to fill/ bleed system properly.

the miss fire and the P0117 codes I’m not sure if are 100% related to the leak but for now the only obvious problem was the hose, now will try to get the car back running and see how it goes.

initially I has thinking about faulty thermostat because of the code.