R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 R53 Koni FSD install problems (groaning/creaking/knocking))

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2024, 08:24 AM
cidjcd
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R53 Koni FSD install problems (groaning/creaking/knocking))

Hi!

I have a 2006 R53 with 187k miles and just replaced my struts with the Koni FSD based on some research and enthusiastic recommendations here. But I am having some issues and wanted to poll the group please: the basic trouble is that the new struts groan and creak loudly when I turn the steering wheel. A secondary issue is that that knock loudly over small bumps (sounds literally like two blocks of wood banging together and there feels like no damping whatsoever). Aside from these issues (!) handling and damping feels fine.

I ordered the struts from Way Motor Works and had a local shop, TGK Automotive, install them. Way has been excellent and TGK has done good work for my Mini in the past. The shop is giving me the line of, "Well, you didn't buy the struts from us so since you supplied your own parts it's you're problem and not an installation issue..." They clearly hear and acknowledge the groaning and creaking though. I called Way to confirm that the Koni FSDs use the stock Mini bushings (i.e., they do not require some special part) and my shop is reluctantly saying they can warranty the bushings and they are "waiting on replacements" but it's been two weeks so it feels like they are dragging their feet.

I'd hate to have to take my Mini back to the dealership $$$$ but I'm strongly feeling like this is an installation issue. Does anyone have similar experience with the Koni FSD being really creaky and noisy?

Many thanks,
Jcd

Old 09-10-2024, 08:26 AM
R53Pete
1st Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Front ? Back? Did you replace the bushings? did you get under the car and shake the front and rear sway bars? swaybar endlinks?
Also are your springs OEM? If oem how old are they?

The following users liked this post:
ssoliman (09-10-2024)
Old 09-10-2024, 08:33 AM
cidjcd
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front and back both, yes. The bushings and end links were also replaced per the invoice. The springs are OEM and if not original than certainly older (they were not replaced here as my shop said they didn't need to be).
FWIW, I had new tires and an alignment done as well - so it was basically a whole suspension rework.

I have not crawled under the car to try and self-diagnose, but I can.

Old 09-10-2024, 08:42 AM
R53Pete
1st Gear
Your car is almost 20 years old if the springs are original they are probably sagging if it was driven enough. Get under the car and grab and shake and shove everything. Get the wheels up in the air and push and pull on the wheels and the suspension system.
Check and TIGHTEN each and every fastener.
When its front AND back it might me a systemic issue? They replace the bushings front and rear when they replaced the shocks? Please tell me it was OEM front shock mounts.
How do the bushings for the swaybars look? Its 20 year old rubber. Lots of suspects here. You basically put new shocks on 20 year old everything. 20 year old front and back shock mounts, 20 year old swaybar bushings 20 year old springs and so on. Are there color stripes on your springs?

The following users liked this post:
ssoliman (09-10-2024)
Old 09-10-2024, 09:42 AM
Here2Go
NAM Community Team
Received 1,000 Likes on 616 Posts
FWIW - I can only offer thoughts from my own experience...

Creaking & groaning noise while turning the wheels during low speeds - Top front strut bearing mounts are compressed/shot/worn. + check the torque of the top strut mount nuts = important (25 ft lbs).

Creaking while driving over uneven or undulating roads - old worn out front or rear swaybar bushings.

Clunking/knocking while driving - 1) Drop links: front or rear either worn or insufficently torqued (you really need to crank the nuts down to torque specs +. 2) Swaybar: worn out front or rear swaybar bushings.

My 19y/o original factory ('04 R53) springs with 85k mi, were still in very good shape with no indication of collapsing. I never experienced any issues with them. I'd initially reused them after replacing the struts with B4s and thereafter; Koni yellow adjustable.
I'm currently @ 104k original miles on the car (I've replaced all 4 struts with coilovers @95k mi.) - Therefore; I really have no experience as to how long the factory springs should last.

@ 187k mi on your original springs; they may indeed have collapsed or are worn. But I would suspect all the above as being the primary causes for the noise.

Just my opinion/experience.

The following 5 users liked this post by Here2Go:
00Mini (09-11-2024), BlwnAway (09-11-2024), cidjcd (09-12-2024), ECSTuning (09-10-2024), ssoliman (09-10-2024)
Old 09-10-2024, 10:37 AM
LukasH
2nd Gear
Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
I'm with @Here2Go I suspect the top front strut bearing mounts as well. Reason is, these must have have been transferred over from the old to the new Koni shocks. You can easily check if these are in good nick by just opening the bonnet and look if the rubber is torn/cracked.

Also, does your R53 have a LSD? These sometimes groan as well, sounding like your tire is rubbing. I have it but only on full lock.

Old 09-10-2024, 12:38 PM
noodlesandsam
3rd Gear
Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
I had Bilstein Yellows fail out of the box. 3 miles, and it sounded like the front was going to fall off. If it makes noise at Walking speed, look at the new struts. The person who installed should be able to figure this out.

Old 09-13-2024, 10:23 PM
ericfreeman
3rd Gear
I fitted Koni FSD's several years ago at 165,000 miles when I changed the control arm bushings, clutch, sway bar bushings, etc. The new shocks were perfect from Day 1 and I now have 240,000 miles on the MIni with no suspension issues at all. I really like the Konis as they are firm yet compliant. Not a noise from anywhere in the suspension.

Old 09-14-2024, 05:44 PM
ghostwrench
4th Gear
Received 143 Likes on 108 Posts
Groaning and creaking sounds like strut mounts. When I replace struts - my own or on customer vehicles - I strongly suggest also replacing the strut mounts and strut bearings (if applicable) because often when you disassemble the strut and reassemble old mounts on a new strut, there will be noise afterward. If that is TGK Automotive in Chandler, AZ, I know a little about that shop and they have a good reputation among my mechanic friends. I'm surprised they did not suggest new strut mounts with your struts. Knocking loudly over small bumps I do not believe is a strut mount issue, unless they are completely shot, in which case the technician should have noticed during the job and brought that up to the shop foreman and/or service advisor. Knocking over bumps also suggests something is not tight. That would be installation error.

You said your invoice listed bushings and endlinks replaced with your strut installation. Loose endlinks will make a knock over bumps and while swerving the car. What bushings were replaced?

As a technician, this is disappointing. If the tech had road tested your car after his work, I know there are train tracks that must be crossed to return to the TGK parking lot, so the tech should have heard the noise there at the very least and perhaps investigated before shipping the car.

If you are in the Chandler/Tempe/Mesa/Scottsdale area, I work at a shop near ASU. You can message me.

Old 09-15-2024, 07:50 AM
Whisky B
2nd Gear
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I'm gonna go out on a limb and put my money on dusty strut mounts. I really wish someone would design a suitable pair of front mounts for these cars. Putting new struts under a set of something-other-than-new bearings spells absolute disaster on these cars. I had an idea of grabbing a pair of Countryman strut mounts and modifying them to fit the Gen 1 towers, but it was just an idea.