R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Dealer costs for Rear Fog Light reprogram?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 06:40 AM
erik99
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer costs for Rear Fog Light reprogram?

Hi,

I'm considering installing the rear fog light on my own. Anyone know the cost to have the dealer do the ECU reprogram to recognize the light?

Thanks!

Old 02-04-2005, 06:51 AM
10851CS
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by erik99
Hi,

I'm considering installing the rear fog light on my own. Anyone know the cost to have the dealer do the ECU reprogram to recognize the light?

Thanks!
You don't have your MINI yet?? Your getting an 05 right I thought the 05 comes with the rear fog lights.

Earl

Old 02-04-2005, 06:58 AM
Brain1.0
Manufacturer
I dont think its standard, I believe its an option even now. The bummer was it wasnt even an option for a while.

Depending on the dealer they wil charge anywhere from 1 hour labor to doing it as a no cost customer service.

Old 02-04-2005, 07:03 AM
MiniMe05
4th Gear
Does anyone have a P/N for the 05 rear fog kit? I can't get the rear fog in Oregon.

Old 02-04-2005, 07:19 AM
erik99
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by 10851CS
You don't have your MINI yet?? Your getting an 05 right I thought the 05 comes with the rear fog lights.

Earl
No Mini yet. I ordered the LSD which was only available after 01-01-05.
I do not think it comes with the rear fog.

With any luck, the ship with my MCS should be in Charleston today

Old 02-04-2005, 07:37 AM
10851CS
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by erik99
No Mini yet. I ordered the LSD which was only available after 01-01-05.
I do not think it comes with the rear fog.

With any luck, the ship with my MCS should be in Charleston today
I would ask the dealer to give me a few days before programing the options (locking doors or not, etc.) and the do the rear fogs, go back and have him do them all at once.

Earl

Old 02-04-2005, 08:19 AM
kevin44
1st Gear
here in colorado, probably $51.

the dealer charges that for any program change. be it programming a new key or re-program the door locks.

Old 02-04-2005, 08:27 AM
LombardStreet
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I ordered my MINI from Classic MINI in Cleveland (highly recommended, BTW!) in mid-Oct and picked it up in early December, 04. About a week before the car arrived, they emailed me a list of programming options and asked me what choices I wanted to make - things like auto-door locks, windshield wiper speed settings, etc. I assume all dealers are supposed to do this. They might be able to add the programming for the fog light at this point. (I don't know if the light has to be physically present or not.) If they can do it before you pick up the car, there should be no charge. Then you can install the light and switches yourself at a later date.

I just installed the 05 rear fog and switches myself last month. My local dealer (Niello MINI in Sacramento) charged me $50 for 1/2 hour labor. I've heard of other dealers charging $45 for 1/2 hour labor. (I am in California, after all - I'm sure it's a "market" thing.) They also programmed the OEM alarm system which I had also installed and did both the fog and alarm for the single half hour charge.

FWIW, I think the rear fog is a necessity if you live in an area where there is heavy fog! I do wish, though, that mine were programmed to operate with the parking lights on and the headlights off. The front fogs work this way. (The xenons really light up fog badly - my forward vision is much better with front fogs (and parking lights) on and the xenons off.)

Lots more info (including part numbers and photos) on this thread: 2005 Rear Fog Retrofit

Old 02-04-2005, 08:39 AM
tattman23
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LombardStreet
FWIW, I think the rear fog is a necessity if you live in an area where there is heavy fog! I do wish, though, that mine were programmed to operate with the parking lights on and the headlights off. The front fogs work this way. (The xenons really light up fog badly - my forward vision is much better with front fogs (and parking lights) on and the xenons off.)
Is that so? That's different than how mine work... must have to do with your having the Xenon headlamps or something, which I lack.

When I cut the headlights, so that only parking lights are on, any fog lamps that are on, go out. I have been wrong before (well, once ) but I don't believe that this can be changed. I too wish that the fog lights (all of them actually) would light, with only parking lights activated.

Not the brightest bulb in the chandelier,
Tatt

Old 02-04-2005, 08:54 AM
LombardStreet
Originally Posted by tattman23
Is that so? That's different than how mine work... must have to do with your having the Xenon headlamps or something, which I lack.

When I cut the headlights, so that only parking lights are on, any fog lamps that are on, go out. I have been wrong before (well, once ) but I don't believe that this can be changed. I too wish that the fog lights (all of them actually) would light, with only parking lights activated.
Interesting. My front fogs definitely work with the headlights off and just the parking lights on. FWIW - this is only with the ignition on, too. If I turn off the ignition, the parking lights stay on but the front fogs go off. Weird, huh?

I've emailed my SA asking if it's possible to change the programming so the rear fog works the same as the front fogs (in my car, anyway). Haven't heard back from him yet.

Old 02-04-2005, 09:14 AM
tattman23
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LombardStreet
Interesting. My front fogs definitely work with the headlights off and just the parking lights on. FWIW - this is only with the ignition on, too. If I turn off the ignition, the parking lights stay on but the front fogs go off. Weird, huh?
LS,
You have a good point about the ignition ON... I KNOW I start my motor before I buckle up (start up ritual, lol) but I can't remember my shut down ritual exactly. Now I have to run out and check .... (sound of sneakers on pavement)...

OK here's the deal (it's awfully nice out, sunny and warm for February in Chicago - tempted to skip out the rest of the work day, shame on me for wantin' to motor - I think I'll have lunch somewhere FAR from here :smile: )..

Ignition ON is where I was going wrong. With it OFF, only the parking lights will operate, no headlamps, no fogs.

With ignition ON, (sheepish who-me grin) I can turn off the headlamps and BOTH front and rear fogs will remain lit. Which leads me to believe you may be wired (or programmed?) slightly incorrectly (your rear fog light, not YOU), since you say the rear fog won't light when you're only running the parking lamps...

Interesting recess and I been meaning to check this out anyway, thanks
Tatt

Old 02-04-2005, 10:07 AM
beken
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Hmmmm....I didn't order a rear fog light (but I have dealer installed front ones) and my car came with the switch (and it works too!) for the rear fogs. Does that mean mine is already pre-wired and I just have to add the light?

I was thinking that if they programmed the fronts, the rears are also programmed already.....

Old 02-04-2005, 06:09 PM
LombardStreet
Originally Posted by tattman23
With ignition ON, (sheepish who-me grin) I can turn off the headlamps and BOTH front and rear fogs will remain lit. Which leads me to believe you may be wired (or programmed?) slightly incorrectly (your rear fog light, not YOU), since you say the rear fog won't light when you're only running the parking lamps...
Tatt-

Well, I can't speak for Tillie, but I know I've got some strange programming. (The 60s were a *****, man!)

Anyway, did you try this: ignition on, headlights on, front and rear fogs on. Everything is on, right? Now turn the headlights off. On mine, the front fogs stay on, but the rear fog goes off. I'd appreciate hearing how yours work.