R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 removing wiper blades

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005 | 02:01 PM
parzifal
|
1st Gear
removing wiper blades

forgive the stupidity but i need to change my wiper blades. but i can't get the old original blades off! i open the arm out, push on the spring, and nothing happens, the blade won't budge. is there some kind of trick to this?

thanks in advance,

paddy

Old 02-15-2005 | 02:07 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
If you're talking about removing the whole blade, and not just the insert, you need to push down on the spring and pull towards the wiper arm, on the same axis. It should pop right out.
As for the insert, I haven't figured out how to get those suckers out of there...

Old 02-15-2005 | 02:20 PM
moonpie
2nd Gear
The inserts take some fiddling but it can be done.

Old 02-15-2005 | 03:09 PM
parzifal
|
1st Gear
Thanks, Eric. i was pushing the blade the wrong way. they did pop right out. now the problem is that i can't figure out how to attach the Bosch replacements. it's 28 degrees outside, my fingers are frozen, and i'd like to kill somebody. myself, preferrably. (the new blades thoughtfully have installation drawings which are no good whatsoever).

paddy

Old 02-15-2005 | 03:23 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
My wipers gave up the ghost 1/2 through my cross country trip. Tried to find inserts, but couldn't find a reference to a MINI replacement, so I ended up getting a replacement set of Anco blades for $15 (with a mail in rebate for one of the blades) and just replaced the whole thing in a few seconds.

Do you know the wiper blades are covered under warranty? It makes sense if you're close to a dealer. I saved my OEM blades, and will have MINI replace them when it's convenient for me.

Old 02-15-2005 | 03:26 PM
William Courant
2nd Gear
Wiper Blades

I went through the same thing when I replaced mine. Totally confusing Got OEM ones from the dealer as I couldnt find any after market ones. No prob getting the blade off the arm, but getting the old inserts out of the blade was a big hassle I finally got a pair of needle nosed pliers and pried open the clips that hold the insert in place on the blade. If I remember right, there is a small hole in the new inserts that line up with clips. When you get the old one out and install the two metal strips on the new insert, just thread the new insert into the blade, line up the holes with the clips and re-crimp the clips through the holes. I think I had to trim the new inserts for length as well. The rear wiper is simple, just pull out the old insert and push the new one in. Hope this helps

Old 02-15-2005 | 03:30 PM
parzifal
|
1st Gear
no, didn't know they were under warranty. anyway, i've already got the Bosch, which are supposed to fit (better drawings of tiny hands and tiny blades would be a help). i just can't figure out how. i guess i'll try again tomorrow, when it's supposed to be a bit warmer, and i hope not snowing. but thanks very much for the help. now at least i know how to remove OEM blades, but can't fit new ones. that makes the glass half-full?

paddy

Old 02-15-2005 | 03:36 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
With the blades removed, at least you can try to figure it out in the comfort of your living room, right?:smile:

William's approach may be the right one. Guess I was hoping for something a little more eloquent than 'bend things to fit' from BMW...

Make sure they are the same before you start bending things, or just run over to Schomp and have 'em fork over a new pair - installed!

Old 02-15-2005 | 03:46 PM
parzifal
|
1st Gear
one and all: i would like to acknowledge publicly that i am an idiot. after having calmed down, cleared my mind (not hard to do), and breathing deeply, i once again had a look at the little drawings of the tiny hands and tiny wiper blades, strode boldly out into the vile elements, and 30 seconds later had the old blades off and the new ones installed. all is well. thank you so much for your help.

BTW, did i say i'm an idiot?

paddy

Old 02-15-2005 | 03:51 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Any hints for us insert swapping virgins, or is it just RTFM?
No need to bend or otherwise savage the blades?
Part number for the Bosch replacements?

Old 02-15-2005 | 04:00 PM
parzifal
|
1st Gear
Eric,

no, no bending needed, great, uniform coverage. blades are: Bosch Micro Edge, 19" both sides, part #40719A, price $7.99 ea at Autozone. and believe me, if i can do it, ANYONE can. next time i think i could do it in a blizzard, it's really that easy. i wouldn't even bother with inserts, but that's just me. and since you mentioned Schomp, i'm sure they would have swapped them, and when it's convenient i may have them do so, just for the doo-dad on the driver's side one. they've treated me really well.

paddy

Old 02-15-2005 | 06:00 PM
lotsie
Banned
We don't get our wiper blades replaced for free up hereBut my friendly Canadian Tire has lots of options

Old 02-16-2005 | 01:06 AM
Sullivan'sDaddy
3rd Gear
Sorry, long winded

OEM Wiper Blade (which is just the rubber insert) is part #61-61-8-229-196 for either sides.
It is the exact fit for the passenger side. The driver's side will need to be trimmed AFTER you install it. Made in France. $6.45 ea

OEM Rear Wiper Rubber (which is what it says, and dunno why the fronts are not called out as Wiper Rubber) is part #61-62-7-079-678. $4.50

Trico Wipers #45170 and #46190. Available at Checkers and Napa Auto Parts. Made in USA. $7.49 ea.
(This information only obtained over the phone, so although it's probably correct, it has not been verified)

Would have like to tried the Bosch brand, but could not locate a store that sells them locally yet.

There are some vendors on the web who sell the OEM for less, but throw in the shipping and it doesn't make sense (unless you have a bulk order)

Free replacement wiper blades, whether the dealer changes the actual blade or just the rubber insert, is only good up to a certain amount of mileage on the car. Don't know the exact number but I'm pretty sure it was in the four digit mileage range. But then again, free replacements may be up to the dealer as in lot15's case.

When replacing just the inserts, only the bottom clip (it kinda looks like this [_] ) is crimped. The others are left in their open position. The bottom clip is the one at the bottom when the wiper is in a vertical position.

Removing the old rubber insert:
-After removing the wiper blade from the wiper arm, take the time to look/study at how far the old rubber passes the last clip. Take measurements of this at both ends if you want.
-Pinch one end of the old rubber that's on the blade and only the portion that looks (in cross-section) like the head of an arrow.
-Then pull and strip this off.
-Use scissors to snip off the remaining piece(s) of the old rubber off.
-Use a 1/8 flat head screw driver or any thin but stiff tool that can be used to pry open the bottom clip to release any remaining rubber. You only need to pry it open slightly. Try to do as little damage to the paint on the blade as possible.

Installing the new rubber insert:
-The OEM Wiper Blade comes with a plastic tool which at one end is a tapered "finger" that you use to shove into the bottom clip in order to re-open the clip to it's original opening. This is a rather simple but effective tool that limits any further paint damage to the blade.
-Slide the new rubber insert through all of the clips on the blade.
-Set the rubber to match how far it was from the end clip on the old rubber. This is more critical with the driver's side. Do not trim yet.
-Use the other end of the OEM tool (It looks like two flat fingers) to cover both sides of the bottom clip. Use pliers to squeeze the fingers together which in turn re-crimps the clip. The fingers protect the paint.
-Trim off the excess rubber on the driver's side blade. If you didn't take measurements, better to trim a little at a time than too much.

**Words of caution:
-Before re-crimping make sure the new rubber is properly sleeved through all clips; otherwise, you might damage the new rubber trying to re-open the bottom clip.
-Make sure you are crimping the bottom clip. I suppose you can crimp a different one, but I like the way it was when it rolled out the factory.
-Technically, you are only suppose to re-crimp once. To much opening and closing will cause metal fatigue and the clip will break off.

Rule of thumb is that the rubbers should be changed twice a year, but that really depends on the climate your in and how often they are used. There are more expensive aftermarket ones out there that are suppose to last longer, but like disposable contact lenses, I like a fresh pair often.

Old 09-01-2006 | 11:06 AM
o4amini
6th Gear
Wiper Blade is crawling out!

Originally Posted by Sullivan'sDaddy

Installing the new rubber insert:
-The OEM Wiper Blade comes with a plastic tool which at one end is a tapered "finger" that you use to shove into the bottom clip in order to re-open the clip to it's original opening. This is a rather simple but effective tool that limits any further paint damage to the blade.
-Slide the new rubber insert through all of the clips on the blade.
-Set the rubber to match how far it was from the end clip on the old rubber. This is more critical with the driver's side. Do not trim yet.
-Use the other end of the OEM tool (It looks like two flat fingers) to cover both sides of the bottom clip. Use pliers to squeeze the fingers together which in turn re-crimps the clip. The fingers protect the paint.
-Trim off the excess rubber on the driver's side blade. If you didn't take measurements, better to trim a little at a time than too much.
The dealer replaced my blades about a month ago and today is the first day I seriously needed to use my wipers since then. The one on the driver's side started sounding weird and I noticed that the metal stays on the blade itself were crawling out from under the blade and the carriage. Is this something I can fix? I don't have this tool mentioned above. The whole insert can slide out easily. The one on the passenger side won't budge.

Old 09-01-2006 | 12:10 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
You can fix it with just a pair of pliers. The OEM tool is just to protect the surface. You can use a rag in a similar fashion. Just try to mirror the crimps on the passenger blade.

Old 09-01-2006 | 12:30 PM
o4amini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
You can fix it with just a pair of pliers. The OEM tool is just to protect the surface. You can use a rag in a similar fashion. Just try to mirror the crimps on the passenger blade.
Thanks