R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Question about MINI of Sterling and Rubber Mats...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 09:47 PM
05MCSa
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about MINI of Sterling and Rubber Mats...

Enlighten me on something here... I'm ordering my '05 MCSa here in a little while, from MINI of Sterling. I know that when one goes through Classic they get some nice things when taking delivery of the car, like a full tank of gas, rubber floor mats, etc. Can anyone tell me if Sterling does these things, or something similar?

If MINI of Sterling doesn't offer the rubber mats, would it be a smart idea to go ahead and order them, then? What does a new Cooper/Cooper S come with by default, and would the rubber mats be that much better?

Just curious... Sorry for the newbish lack of knowledge!

Old 02-23-2005, 11:38 PM
Chief_Charlie
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mats are a dealer accessory

Floor Mats are a dealer (installed) accessory. Either you pay for them, or the dealer does, and gives them to you. They don't come with the car. What you get when you buy the car is a carpeted cockpit floor---no mats.

That's why I buy at Classic...full tank of gas, MINI rubber floor mats front & rear, European Parcel Shelf, Glove Box organizer.

I'm sure if you whine and grovel enough they'll throw in the mats. Can't believe they's pass up a sale over floor mats!

Charlie

Old 02-24-2005, 07:47 AM
05MCSa
3rd Gear
Thanks for the reply, Charlie. You're the same Charlie from Motoringfile, right? If you didn't guess, this is Jesse; we emailed back and forth for a bit about Classic.

So are the rubber floormats worth fighting for? Are they that great? and what does a MINI come with if you don't order any extra mats?

Old 02-24-2005, 08:08 AM
Chief_Charlie
4th Gear
Rubber Floor Mats

Same "Charlie" as at Motoringfile? I don't know. If the email on the posts (click on the submitter's name) is carolla@scu.edu then that's me.

As I said above, mats (as far as I know) don't come with the car. You get a carpeted floor. That's it......look at a MINI next time you're at Sterling.

Only you can decide if the mats are worth fighting for. Their list price is available at MINIUSA.com under #5, Dealer Installed Accessories, when you build your own MINI. You can email Brian at Classic bmwparts@classicautocampus to find out what it would cost to buy a set of fronts and rears from them (at 20% off, plus shipping via UPS) to see their "real world value"; but as I said before I don't think Sterling will walk away from a sale over a set of floor mats....but then who knows about dealers other than Classic.

Old 02-24-2005, 08:20 AM
05MCSa
3rd Gear
Yep! Same Charlie. Good then. You sent me an email thinking I was from the Left Coast because of one of my comments to a news item over at Motoringfile. Also about how Julie @ Classic's day off is Wednesday. :smile:

Yeah, my experiences with Jeff, my MA at MINI of Sterling, have been phenominal. I'm sure if I just mention what Classic does for their customers he'll make some concessions or match what they do. He's very accomodating! I'm not sure I like the sound of just the carpeted floor; I might have to see about the floormats. Thick rubber is just so easy to clean, too! Just take 'em out and spray them down.

So we'll see.

Old 02-24-2005, 08:33 AM
Stinger
3rd Gear
Don't know what the current wait is for you at Sterling, but when I bought my MCS it was about 6 months. I bought from Crown in Richmond and had the car in 2 months. I was at Tate in Annapolis this past weekend and they can deliver in 2 months. Not sure what Sterling offers, but Crown thrrew in the cloth mats for free.

Old 02-24-2005, 08:43 AM
apexer
6th Gear
I bought the rubber mats from Classic and use them year round. Didn't bother getting the rear mats because no one ever rides in back and their about the size of a postage stamp anyway. I really like the front rubber mats and, suggest you **** & moan until the dealer throws them in on the deal.

Old 02-24-2005, 08:48 AM
Chief_Charlie
4th Gear
Good advice from Apexer

Old 02-24-2005, 08:55 AM
C4
Banned
My dealer, Lauderdale MINI, always includes a choice of either rubber floor mats or the MINI fabric ones.

I will pick the Rubber Floor mats this time around too...

Old 02-24-2005, 09:17 AM
Inimay
2nd Gear
I know for a fact, since I ordered from Sterling and pick it up on Saturday that they add it on to all cars that they sell. You make your car and then the they add in the carpets and wheel locks. The prices are a little more than list but they are things that I wanted and when buying a $25,000+ car a few extra bucks was minor.

I was a little bothered that they just added it, but like I said, I was going to get them anyway. You can try to haggle with them, but they are selling so many cars.. I am sure you won't get far.

Ordered my MCSC on December 10th, arrived on Feb. 23rd. Not bad and not even close to 6 months. It was a long two months and felt like 6. Just make sure you get a clear answer on what month you will be in production. They gave me some vague answers until I pressed them on their back log.

Old 02-24-2005, 12:41 PM
stso
Neutral
I had the same experience as Inimay at Sterling where I got the option to add floor mats and wheel locks to my order. I'm not going to haggle on this since the relative price of the carpeted floor mats and wheel locks to the entire car is quite small (for me). I do plan on getting a set of rubber mats for winter from Classic.

I ordered my car on 31 Jan and it's already on its way over from the UK with a port arrival date of 3 Mar. I expect the car to be in my hands anytime between 14-21 Mar with a total wait time of approximately 1.5 months. I think I got bumped up on Sterling's list when an earlier order cancelled and the manager changed that order to match mine. Not waiting another 2-4 weeks for my car is definitely worth the cost of the floor mats and locks. Seems like most east coast dealers are seeing 2-2.5 month wait times.

ST

Old 02-24-2005, 12:48 PM
05MCSa
3rd Gear
Inimay, they automatically add the rubber floor mats? Do they ask what color you want, or anything?

And Jeff, my MA, said there's no wait list at Sterling; since they move product so fast (one of the fastest in Mid-Atlantic, I believe he said), MINI gets things to them very quickly. He said I should take delivery of the car no later than two months after my order date. Last time I was in the dealership he put an order in for an older couple that was there, and informed him that they'd get an email in 2-3 days with a production number.

EDIT: And stso, where in Arlington are you? That's where I live!

Old 02-24-2005, 01:22 PM
etickt
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Inimay
I know for a fact, since I ordered from Sterling and pick it up on Saturday that they add it on to all cars that they sell. You make your car and then the they add in the carpets and wheel locks. The prices are a little more than list but they are things that I wanted and when buying a $25,000+ car a few extra bucks was minor.

I was a little bothered that they just added it, but like I said, I was going to get them anyway. You can try to haggle with them, but they are selling so many cars.. I am sure you won't get far.

Ordered my MCSC on December 10th, arrived on Feb. 23rd. Not bad and not even close to 6 months. It was a long two months and felt like 6. Just make sure you get a clear answer on what month you will be in production. They gave me some vague answers until I pressed them on their back log.
I ordered mine on Dec 9th, and will be picking it up Friday, the day before your delivery. Guess they're predictable on the delivery time. They said it would be available yesterday, but I couldn't get it that day, and my MA is out today.

Old 02-24-2005, 06:25 PM
Inimay
2nd Gear
They let you pick from types and colors, which was nice. Thanks for the tip on the rubber mats, I wil get them next winter as I am praying that this is the last of the winter weather!

Make sure you get that email, I had to call for all my information. But I do realize that my MA did leave right after the sale and went to the BMW side. Ever since I was assigned another MA things have been smooth.

I am jealous that some of you are getting tomorrow. I decided to wait because of the snow and salt. Couldn't have the first ride to be the dirtiest ride ever

See you all around town this weekend. I don't care what the weather but the top will be down. You may see me on the news as a "stupid human" but I won't care. :D