R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Compiled Delivery Checklist

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 11:22 AM
Moneypenny
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, Glad to see the list has helped others!

My list (and additional suggestions) came in handy. My dad walked around with the checklist while I got instructions from Crystal, my MA. Sadly though I didn't check one thing on my list until I was 2 hours away from my dealership *sigh*. When I went to test the cruise control (only for a sec-didn't want to disrupt the break-in ) It wouldn't work!

Called Crystal and I have since taken care of the problem, and there were no problems later. Normally though, I probably wouldn't have checked that until after break-in, so I'm glad it got found early by use of "THE LIST" :smile:

Kristin: Thanks, and if there's someone you trust, take them with you like Rennie suggests. It helped a lot, as I said, Dad checked things out while I got to enjoy the experience of delivery!

Naprisei: Oooh, I hope so! Pierce and Sean are my two favs!

I'll edit in additional suggestions....Thanks everyone!

Old 05-05-2005, 11:28 AM
beken
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Not sure if it got mentioned here. Check that the fan is working. Mine wasn't. I didn't know until it started raining and my windshield started fogging up.

I picked up my car on a Friday evening so couldn't get it fixed until Monday.

In any case, the salesperson has a checklist already. It's almost as comprehensive. If something isn't working they'll have the book you in the business day anyways. So it will be your choice to take the car or wait until it gets fixed.

Old 05-05-2005, 12:12 PM
minimiffy
1st Gear
where does this Crystal MA work? I might as well get my next car from her.....

I got my car out of state from Hamptons and when the car arrives by truck I had just one key

Old 05-05-2005, 02:17 PM
C4
Banned
Crystal Neagle works at Lauderdale MINI (www.lauderdalemini.com) (954)335-MINI. I have purchased 3 MINIs from her and also I referred Moneypenny to her back in February when she first placed her order for a new Convertible.

She is absolutely fantastic and a pleasure to work with. She is very honest and upfront as well.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Originally Posted by minimiffy
where does this Crystal MA work? I might as well get my next car from her.....

I got my car out of state from Hamptons and when the car arrives by truck I had just one key

Old 05-05-2005, 02:19 PM
minimiffy
1st Gear
Originally Posted by C4
She works at Lauderdale MINI (954)335-MINI. I have purchased 3 MINIs from her and also I referred Moneypenny to her back in February when she first placed her order for a new Convertible.
Thanks! Is she cool with out of state purchase/transport?

I'd definitely mention her or Julie if one of my family friends/coworkers is interested in a Cooper. Or for my next one......never Hamptons again

Old 05-05-2005, 02:43 PM
C4
Banned
Originally Posted by minimiffy
Thanks! Is she cool with out of state purchase/transport?

I'd definitely mention her or Julie if one of my family friends/coworkers is interested in a Cooper. Or for my next one......never Hamptons again
Give her a call or send her an e-mail and see what options there are for out of state purchases. In fact let me send you a PM right now.

Old 05-05-2005, 11:09 PM
Moneypenny
3rd Gear
CRYSTAL IS GREAT!

I don't know about out of state, but out of town was easy (I live about 4-5 hours from Ft. Lauderdale).

C4 will take care of you! :smile:

BTW, C4, if you get another bulldog....I want one!!

-Sarah

Old 05-05-2005, 11:17 PM
neilgj
4th Gear
I think this is a great list. I found a couple of minor issues with my car after I drove it home that necessitated 3 separate trips to the dealer (about 40 miles each way). If I had had my wits about me and not been quite so MINIwhelmed I could have avoided that grief.

Old 05-06-2005, 03:54 AM
davn8r
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by neilgj
I think this is a great list. I found a couple of minor issues with my car after I drove it home that necessitated 3 separate trips to the dealer (about 40 miles each way).
Where those issues that her original checklist would have caught, or do you have items to add to the list?

Old 05-06-2005, 09:36 AM
neilgj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by davn8r
Where those issues that her original checklist would have caught, or do you have items to add to the list?
They were on the list:

1. Rain sensing wiper operation
2. Marks on windows (rear window on convertible - here's another test: open and close the roof 3 times, examine the window after each operation for marks or scratches)
3. Missing lug nut under bonnet

but this one wasn't:

4. The driver's side door was not closing so as to be flush with the body contours. It turns out that the metal catch attached to the inside door post was loose and needed to be adjusted and tightened.

Old 05-06-2005, 10:01 AM
C4
Banned
I'll keep you in mind

Originally Posted by moneypenny
CRYSTAL IS GREAT!

I don't know about out of state, but out of town was easy (I live about 4-5 hours from Ft. Lauderdale).

C4 will take care of you! :smile:

BTW, C4, if you get another bulldog....I want one!!

-Sarah

Old 05-06-2005, 09:57 PM
Rawhyde
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rmorin49
In a way it is pathetic that some feel an extensive checklist is necessary for the buyer to use at delivery. One would think that when you buy something the seller would be responsible and accountable for ensuring that the product is worthy of being delivered to the customer. I don't disagree that some amount of inspection is advisable at delivery, but come on a list of 50 some items to be checked by the buyer!! I guess this is yet another sign that the American consumer has come to expect mediocre performance from companies doing business in the USA. This is sad, very sad!! I expect better from a company that is known for its quality automobiles. I also know that quality varies greatly from dealer to dealer and it seems to me that the responsibility for the condition is their responsibility, not the factory or the VPC. Both of my MINIs have been delivered in very good condition although neither was properly programmed even though I put my request in writing to my MA. Another sign of lack of attention to detail. We have all come to accept mediocrity and are blown away when someone does a good job.
In spite of what follows, I really do love my new MINI, but here's a list of the problems I faced at delivery:
1. RF wheel was curbed. Had a chunk knocked out of it, but it was "touched-up" with white paint.
2. RF Tire also was damaged.
3. Right side "skirt" was damaged just in front of the rear wheel.
4. Two extra non-Remote keys did not fit my car.
5. Glove Box Organizer was not included (I ordered one)
6. Car Cover was not included (I ordered one of those too)
7. Right side door sill plate was damaged.
8. JCW certificate was not signed nor "stamped" by the dealer.
9. MINI "Wings" keychain was not included.
10. None of my programmable features were set correctly.
11. Windshield washer tank leaks. (From full to empty in an hour)
12. Gas tank was empty.
13. I just barely caught the detail shop people before they etched the VIN into the glass. I requested that it NOT be done.
14. Euro Parcel shelf didn't have rubber mat. (I had to give them a list of all parts and part numbers. Dealer had never heard of it.)
15. Both driving lamps fog up.
16. Left side driving lamp has broken mounting stud.
17. Wiring & relay for driving lamps loose under dash. It hits the upper part of the clutch pedal and makes noise when letting off the clutch. Occasionally causes the clutch pedal to "hang-up" at the 3/4 point.
18. Driving lamps were aimed at tops of telephone poles.
[The OEM Driving Lamps just ain't worth it. I have had high quality aftermarket aux lamps on several other cars, and these simply do not compare...especially for the $750 installed price. The functionality of the OEM wiring harness is great (auto off when the car is restarted, illuminated switch with indicator LED with properly matching graphics and correct colored illumination, etc). As soon as the dealer fixes all these issues, I'm replacing the cheap (but pricey) lamps with Cibie Tangos]

My dealer is 150 miles away. So far, I have 1, 2, 5, 10, & 12 resolved.

Maybe some think a checklist is overkill; I think it is crucial that the new owner perform a detailed inspection before taking delivery.

I think the dealer should have done a better job inspecting the car before installing the JCW kit. The nature and scope of that installation means that it spent a significant amount of time in the service department. It's not like I was standing there trying to jump in the car and drive it right off the truck. To be fair, the dealer has been very cooperative about these issues and has even offered to pick it up, finish the repairs, and deliver it via flatbed truck. I'm tempted to take him up on the offer, but I'm leery of it being damaged loading/unloading.

Rawhyde

Old 05-07-2005, 06:51 AM
C4
Banned
Name the dealer so people can avoid such lazy customer service.

Old 04-22-2006, 08:58 PM
rameeti
2nd Gear
These are cars. Not one of a kinds never to be made again.

Originally Posted by Tarzan
If you live in a state that doesn't require a front license plate, be sure to SPECIFY that the front license plate bracket NOT be installed.

Absolutely request that your window sticker be kept intact

Also, the dealership may drive you over to a gas station before sending you off. If you keep those types of receipts, be sure to get a copy of your gas receipt.

I asked my MA to peel off the "WARNING" decal on the dash board and the one in the upper left of the windshield, and I kept them and stuck them to the wax paper backing from the window sticker.
What I find amazing is that so many users seem to think that everyone is as **** as they are.

Isn't it recognized that the majority of car buyers (MINI included) might not give a cra. about the window sticker? It is a piece of paper that had a purpose but now has none.

Keeping things on wax paper backings? For what? Do we think our cars are going to be in museums?

We should be buying our MINIs to drive them. Not save their umbilical cords for posterity and to show all our friends their lineage. Jeez

Old 04-22-2006, 09:03 PM
Funk_Flex
5th Gear
My dealer forgot to take off the protective plastic film off the passenger side door sill protector . Make sure your dealer take it off before you take delivery

Old 04-22-2006, 10:20 PM
Brihyanna
6th Gear
I got my MINI used, and apparently the dealer did not remove that film off either side. However, neither did the owners and they had the MINI for almost two and a half years! So, it was peeling in places and looked like crap, so I took it off, but there are marks from the adhesive. Need to clean/buff that stuff off....

Old 04-23-2006, 12:28 AM
bolus
4th Gear
Here is my list that I compiled for delivery:
  • Digital camera, memory card to store 1000 pictures
  • Backup digital camera in case the first one breaks or something
  • Tripod for the glamour shots of me and the car
  • iPod
  • Pre-set playlists for ipod. First playlist for the first hour of driving to include the high energy stuff. One of the playlists will be extra high energy music for the end of the break in period (which will probably happen before I get home).
  • laptop with wireless access sniffer so I can post pics from the car
  • Second GPS with preset waypoints for places to get good pictures
  • Sack lunch, may be sack dinner too with cooler and drinks.
  • overnight bag in case I end up in another state
  • Suntan lotion for left arm.
  • Sunglasses
  • Pepper spray to hold off the hordes of girls that will most likely want to get in the car (They cant have it!!!)
  • Cell phone to brag
I had planned to check over the car in great detail to make sure everything was okay but I was so excited I forgot to do anything But in the end, everything was pretty much perfect so I got lucky.

Old 04-23-2006, 05:36 AM
Tarzan
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bolus
Here is my list that I compiled for delivery:
  • Digital camera, memory card to store 1000 pictures
  • Backup digital camera in case the first one breaks or something
  • Tripod for the glamour shots of me and the car
  • iPod
  • Pre-set playlists for ipod. First playlist for the first hour of driving to include the high energy stuff. One of the playlists will be extra high energy music for the end of the break in period (which will probably happen before I get home).
  • laptop with wireless access sniffer so I can post pics from the car
  • Second GPS with preset waypoints for places to get good pictures
  • Sack lunch, may be sack dinner too with cooler and drinks.
  • overnight bag in case I end up in another state
  • Suntan lotion for left arm.
  • Sunglasses
  • Pepper spray to hold off the hordes of girls that will most likely want to get in the car (They cant have it!!!)
  • Cell phone to brag
I had planned to check over the car in great detail to make sure everything was okay but I was so excited I forgot to do anything But in the end, everything was pretty much perfect so I got lucky.
Great list! Don't be suprised if you don't actually "use" the Ipod for the first month or so. There isn't much music out there that can compete with the wonderful sounds your new MINI will make: The exhaust note and that fantastic 'burble,' and the whine of the supercharger...There are lots of times I turn off the radio/Ipod altogether and just listen to the car! (Plus with JCW, you get an added bonus at 4500rpm when the secondary air flap opens)!

Old 04-23-2006, 08:56 AM
AndyWSea
5th Gear
Does anyone out there have a list of Dealer Programable options like the follow me home lights etc.?

Old 04-23-2006, 04:51 PM
bolus
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Tarzan
Great list! Don't be suprised if you don't actually "use" the Ipod for the first month or so. There isn't much music out there that can compete with the wonderful sounds your new MINI will make: The exhaust note and that fantastic 'burble,' and the whine of the supercharger...There are lots of times I turn off the radio/Ipod altogether and just listen to the car! (Plus with JCW, you get an added bonus at 4500rpm when the secondary air flap opens)!
I had forgot that I downloaded the mp3's from the JCW website of the engine sounds from a JCW Mini and put them in itunes.

http://www.miniusa.com/crm/john_coop..._s_outside.zip
(right click and save as)

These were uploaded in my ipod. So I'm sitting at a light with stereo turned up really loud with the ipod on random and this started playing. I thought the car was possessed for a few seconds until I realized it was just playing the mp3 off the ipod.

Old 11-05-2007, 04:32 PM
harley0711
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TheOldMan
I do not see how anyone at NAM could say anyone else was too ****, we all are to some degree of another. It's why we're here. It's your car, take your time, why not enjoy yourself.

Oh, btw, are you available on a contract basis. :smile:

If we/you have more than 4 posts then your **** I have over 500

Old 03-13-2008, 05:25 AM
LUCK219
5th Gear
Can someone post a list of programmable options? I wasn't able to find one and i should take pick up in just a few days!