R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Compiled Delivery Checklist

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 10:28 PM
Moneypenny
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Compiled Delivery Checklist

Hello everyone! My car is on the boat crossing the pond and so it was time to do some research! I did several searches at several forums for "delivery checklist" and have compiled a list.

I would appreciate any feedback, additions, etc. that you are willing! This checklist is for a Convertible, however anyone that finds this helpful can modify it to fit them.

Thank you so much!
-Sarah

Recommended to make delivery during daylight hours as florurescent lights may hide problems.

Recommend you take a trusted friend, spouse or parent to look over the car with you.

Questions to ask before delivery:

• Are there dealer stickers that you apply? Please don't
  • If you are in a state that does NOT require a front license plate, ask the dealer to NOT apply one. Otherwise you will have two drilled holes in your front bumper, however make sure you receive the bracket for the plate upon delivery.
  • Ask or specify which programs you would like applied. Examples: Follow me home lights, Auto door locks, auto unlock, Daytime Running lights, Sunroof/Hood key operation, etc.
  • Please keep the sticker intact.
Questions to ask at dealership/Things to be sure is included:
  • Was there any damange repaired that was incurred during shipping?
  • Has the cold start software update been applied?
  • First inspection checklist
  • Battery maintenance form
  • Any freebies? :smile::smile::smile:
Under Bonnet:
  • Check oil levels
  • Check coolant level and color
  • Check for coolant tank leaks and seals
  • Check brake fluid
  • Check transmission fluid
  • Check windshield wiper fluid
  • Remove clear sticker on Mini logo if it is there
  • Check for loose battery cables
  • Check all connections are tight
  • Check for condensation in headlights
  • Check headlight lenses for scratches or blemishes
Car Interior:
  • Interior lights are operable with opening doors
  • Passenger and Driver side doors are well lit
  • Interior dash and door pockets are not scratched
  • Check driver/passenger seats work and move well. Check condition
  • Check rear passenger seats fold down properly
  • Check all seatbelts work and are in good condition
  • Check glove compartment locks/unlocks
  • Received Owner's Manual
  • VIN matches
  • Check the miles on the car
  • Check for all ordered options
  • Operate hood 3 times, check for wear marks
  • Wait 20 minutes, operate hood 2x's see if any marks start to occur
  • With hood and windows closed, check that glass sits flush with seals and there are no gaps
  • Check windows for cracks or marks
  • Check that all rubber seals around door housings are not loose and in place
  • Check A/C fans and operation.
Boot:
  • Check boot shuts flush and properly- check 3-4 times
  • Check for two holes in rubber edging (water drain)
  • Check rubber is covering fabric and not pinching
  • Check for condensation in the tail lights
  • Check lenses on tail lights for scratches or blemishes
Paint/Exterior:
  • Check all lamps (Headlights, Brake lights, Right Directional [front and rear] Left Directional [front and rear])
  • Check paint work is free of dirt marks, hairline scratches or any type of scratches and factory paint drips (Visible areas, underneath your doors, around edges of boot and bonnet)
  • Check alloys are free from marks or scratches
  • Check wheel spats are free from marks or scratches
  • Check underneath bumpers
  • Check windsheild seals and condition
  • Check folding wing mirrors
  • Check tires (condition, pressure, rod nuts-while there check to see plastic spacers were removed from springs-photo is attached on inmmini's post-#25)
Key:
  • Received extra keys
  • Check programmed options with key
Test Drive:
  • Smooth transmission operation
  • Check brakes
  • Check for squeals, rattles or any strange noises
  • Drive with hood up, any unusual noise?
  • Check for left hand pull
  • Check for steering column noise (clicks or pops upon rotation of wheel)
  • Automatic locking at 10 MPH
  • Navigation is operational (if applicable)
  • Check cruise control (if applicable)
  • Check radio/CD and speakers
  • Automatic wipers on cleaning
  • Speed sensitive wipers
  • Horn
  • Are all warning lights in working order? Do any stay on?

Last edited by Moneypenny; 05-05-2005 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Additional information
Old 02-25-2005, 10:46 PM
Rossii
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do people actually do this??? Too funny....

Old 02-25-2005, 11:35 PM
C4
Banned
Actually most of what is listed here is Crystal's job description. She goes to great lengths to ensure that the car she is delivering is 100% top quality. She will give you a form for you to sign. This form is a checklist of the majority of the items listed below.

Another very important thing to consider is this: Take delivery of your new MINI during daylight hours. At night blemishes on the paintwork are harder to detect under flourescent lights. During the day it is much easier to spot anything that might be wrong.

The 2 prior MINIs I have bought from Crystal have been 100% problem free. She really works hard on each sale/delivery she makes, so don't worry!

Originally Posted by moneypenny
Hello everyone! My car is on the boat crossing the pond and so it was time to do some research! I did several searches at several forums for "delivery checklist" and have compiled a list.

I would appreciate any feedback, additions, etc. that you are willing! This checklist is for a Convertible, however anyone that finds this helpful can modify it to fit them.

Thank you so much!
-Sarah

Questions to ask before delivery:
  • Are there dealer stickers that you apply? Please don't
Questions to ask at dealership:
  • Was there any damange repaired that was incurred during shipping?
  • Has the cold start software update been applied?
Under Bonnet:
  • Check oil levels
  • Check coolant level and color
  • Check for coolant tank leaks and seals
  • Check brake fluid
  • Check transmission fluid
  • Check windshield wiper fluid
  • Remove clear sticker on Mini logo if it is there
  • Check for loose battery cables
  • Check all connections are tight
  • Check for condensation in headlights
  • Check headlight lenses for scratches or blemishes
Car Interior:
  • Interior lights are operable with opening doors
  • Passenger and Driver side doors are well lit
  • Interior dash and door pockets are not scratched
  • Check driver/passenger seats work and move well. Check condition
  • Check rear passenger seats fold down properly
  • Check all seatbelts work and are in good condition
  • Check glove compartment locks/unlocks
  • Received Owner's Manual
  • VIN matches
  • Check the miles on the car
  • Check for all ordered options
  • Operate hood 3 times, check for wear marks
  • Wait 20 minutes, operate hood 2x's see if any marks start to occur
  • With hood and windows closed, check that glass sits flush with seals and there are no gaps
  • Check windows for cracks or marks
  • Check that all rubber seals around door housings are not loose and in place
Boot:
  • Check boot shuts flush and properly- check 3-4 times
  • Check for two holes in rubber edging (water drain)
  • Check rubber is covering fabric and not pinching
  • Check for condensation in the tail lights
  • Check lenses on tail lights for scratches or blemishes
Paint/Exterior:
  • Check all lamps (Headlights, Brake lights, Right Directional [front and rear] Left Directional [front and rear])
  • Check paint work is free of dirt marks, hairline scratches or any type of scratches and factory paint drips (Visible areas, underneath your doors, around edges of boot and bonnet)
  • Check alloys are free from marks or scratches
  • Check wheel spats are free from marks or scratches
  • Check underneath bumpers
  • Check windsheild seals and condition
  • Check folding wing mirrors
  • Check tires (condition, pressure, rod nuts-while there check to see plastic spacers were removed from springs)
Key:
  • Received extra keys
  • Check programmed options with key
Test Drive:
  • Smooth transmission operation
  • Check brakes
  • Check for squeals, rattles or any strange noises
  • Drive with hood up, any unusual noise?
  • Check for left hand pull
  • Check for steering column noise (clicks or pops upon rotation of wheel)
  • Automatic locking at 10 MPH
  • Navigation is operational (if applicable)
  • Check cruise control (if applicable)
  • Check radio/CD and speakers
  • Automatic wipers on cleaning
  • Speed sensitive wipers
  • Horn
  • Are all warning lights in working order? Do any stay on?

Old 02-25-2005, 11:40 PM
Nick_T.
4th Gear
I bought my first new car in 1956 and since then I’ve bought many others. Over the past 49 years I’ve developed and refined my own lengthy delivery checklist.

(1) Do a quick walkaround and check the body and wheels for dings and scratches that the dealer might later say that I had caused.

(2) Drive the car home.

Old 02-26-2005, 12:02 AM
Moneypenny
3rd Gear
Okay, I guess I have to clear up some things.

I have never bought a big ticket item before, so I want to make sure when I plunk down that money I'm getting a quality product. I've read other threads where owners have picked up their car, driven off and OOPS! there's a problem!

Okay, it's Crystal's job to go over every detail for me, but I'm ****. No offense to her (and please don't take this the wrong way Coopers4us, because in no way is it meant to) I'm going to check behind her. In my line of work, if I were to trust the person before me, I could seriously damage expensive equiptment.

Also, thanks for the daylight tip!

So I apologize to all of you that feel I'm stupid for doing this, but I will be doing it.

Ta Ra and thanks! :smile:

Old 02-26-2005, 04:54 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
One other MINI specific thing - the customer courtesy settings (like DRLs, auto-locks, follow-me-home, etc, etc). You should have a chance before or during delivery to have these things specified.

Old 02-26-2005, 05:05 AM
Deli
6th Gear
I think most folks fall somewhere between moneypenny and Nick T. (do you think that's a wide enough range?)

Part of it depends on where you live. I'm two hours away from the dealer. So my inspection went deeper than a paint and wheel scan. But there's no way I was going to spend hours on the full list. The urge to get the car on the highway and knock off the break-in period was JUST TOO GREAT!

Old 02-26-2005, 06:50 AM
minitoo
1st Gear
GBMINI gives you great advice. I sent my dealer an email specifying how I wanted all my memory items set. That way you had time to consider each item and decide how you wanted them set and the dealer had clear instructions so nothing was overlooked. They are able to schedule your car into the service area at their convenience to complete the work while prepping your car. So much easier than trying to get the car into a busy shop for last minute programing when you show up for delivery. Both you and dealer will appreciate this.

Old 02-26-2005, 07:04 AM
MiniMe05
4th Gear
How do you plan to drive with the hood up? Please post a video of this step.

Old 02-26-2005, 07:06 AM
darbmark
2nd Gear
Crystal was my MA too and she went over the whole car and then some.(Okay, maybe not the three or four time stuff -- I guess people really do that?!)
Go ahead and be ****, but she will really make you feel confident and comfortable when you are going over the car with her.

Honestly, I don't see the need for massive checklists, but that's just me.

Old 02-26-2005, 07:38 AM
Califzeph
5th Gear
The only problem we had with our MINI wasn't detectable until after I had taken him home and given him his first bath, several days after we had him... there was a leaky water seal in the passenger side tail light.

Maybe add to your list: Squirt water all over car and see if there are any leaks!

:smile:

Old 02-26-2005, 09:19 AM
ka_ciao
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Nick T.
(1) Do a quick walkaround and check the body and wheels for dings and scratches that the dealer might later say that I had caused.

(2) Drive the car home.
Originally Posted by Califzeph
The only problem we had with our MINI wasn't detectable until after I had taken him home and given him his first bath, several days after we had him... there was a leaky water seal in the passenger side tail light.

Maybe add to your list: Squirt water all over car and see if there are any leaks! :smile:
Thanks for the laughs, guys!!!

Old 02-26-2005, 09:53 AM
Moneypenny
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniMe05
How do you plan to drive with the hood up? Please post a video of this step.
Oxford English Dictionary:

hood (noun) 1. a folding waterproof cover of a vehicle or pram. :smile:

Old 02-26-2005, 10:02 AM
rmorin49
2nd Gear
My 2 cents

In a way it is pathetic that some feel an extensive checklist is necessary for the buyer to use at delivery. One would think that when you buy something the seller would be responsible and accountable for ensuring that the product is worthy of being delivered to the customer. I don't disagree that some amount of inspection is advisable at delivery, but come on a list of 50 some items to be checked by the buyer!! I guess this is yet another sign that the American consumer has come to expect mediocre performance from companies doing business in the USA. This is sad, very sad!! I expect better from a company that is known for its quality automobiles. I also know that quality varies greatly from dealer to dealer and it seems to me that the responsibility for the condition is their responsibility, not the factory or the VPC. Both of my MINIs have been delivered in very good condition although neither was properly programmed even though I put my request in writing to my MA. Another sign of lack of attention to detail. We have all come to accept mediocrity and are blown away when someone does a good job.

Old 02-26-2005, 10:14 AM
Rennie
4th Gear
Bringing along a friend for another pair of eyes isn't a bad idea. Fortunately, my husband found 2 very small dents on the passenger side door that I completely overlooked. If it wasn't for him, I would've driven off the lot with those dents and subsequently would've had a hard time convincing my MA that they were there at delivery. (I may have even thought they happened after delivery).

I thought I was going to be extremely vigilant when I picked up my MINI, but my excitement got the best of me, so that extra pair of eyes was great to have!

Old 02-26-2005, 10:20 AM
mataku
5th Gear
One thing I really regret was not going during the day and taking my time with the car. For one I felt nervous with the dealer around and sort of just said cool and took the car, but if you're like me, it would be good to tell the dealer it's gonna be a while and for them to do other things, especially if you plan on doing all these checks.

The reason I regret is mainly because of one thing: I have a PW and the next day I noticed that the bumper and body are a bit off color. It's not too noticable, but noticable nevertheless. I've talked to a BMW serivce rep and they said that the difference in color is within MINI's quality control and I've seen many PW's with the same problem. So if you are picking up a light colored car and this is a big deal to you, you should look it over a few times to check the color.

Lastly, I'm also a detail freak, so I was shocked when I found later there were hairline scratch/swirl marks on the car, especially the black hardtop. It's hard to see, but with the right lighting it's there. There's a good chance that these were given during the dealer prep. If it's a big deal to you then you should tell them not to prep it and prep it yourself when you get home. Of course if it's a big deal then you should also never have them wash your car after a service and such. Most don't care, but it's a big deal to me. It also varies with dealers so you could go to the showroom and check to see if their cars have light scratches to see if your dealer is good with the prepping.

Otherwise have fun and good luck getting through the break in.

Old 02-26-2005, 10:51 AM
TheOldMan
4th Gear
Okay, I guess I have to clear up some things.

I have never bought a big ticket item before, so I want to make sure when I plunk down that money I'm getting a quality product. I've read other threads where owners have picked up their car, driven off and OOPS! there's a problem!

Okay, it's Crystal's job to go over every detail for me, but I'm ****. No offense to her (and please don't take this the wrong way Coopers4us, because in no way is it meant to) I'm going to check behind her. In my line of work, if I were to trust the person before me, I could seriously damage expensive equiptment.

Also, thanks for the daylight tip!

So I apologize to all of you that feel I'm stupid for doing this, but I will be doing it.

Ta Ra and thanks! :smile:
I do not see how anyone at NAM could say anyone else was too ****, we all are to some degree of another. It's why we're here. It's your car, take your time, why not enjoy yourself.

Oh, btw, are you available on a contract basis. :smile:

Old 02-26-2005, 11:31 AM
NoDak Pat
2nd Gear
The GREAT helpful checklist that I was able to acquire before delivery was the list of programmable options (I think somebody has already touched on this). MINI's options are extensive and if you know which you want, don't want, etc at delivery you will not be charged for changing options...you may be charged after delivery, so make sure your MA discusses these with you.

One programmable option that I read about somewhere (probably here) was auto unlock; which unlocks your doors when you turn off the engine. Many MAs don't even know of this one (including mine; she had auto time-lock disabled ) so you may have to have someone from the service dept go over that if you decide you want it.

Anyway, there is a list of programmable options somewhere...if you do a search here you can probably find it.

Old 02-26-2005, 11:36 AM
eVal
6th Gear
Great list, thanks for posting it :smile: Even if you don't do every single thing its a good idea to have these items in mind and do a careful job of inspecting upon delivery. The car goes through a lot of hands and the people are busy so there are plenty of chances for defects to be missed (or caused) by the dealer, and once you drive it off the lot having anything addressed becomes much more difficult.

Thanks again and best of luck with your car!

Old 02-26-2005, 12:32 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rmorin49
In a way it is pathetic that some feel an extensive checklist is necessary for the buyer to use at delivery. One would think that when you buy something the seller would be responsible and accountable for ensuring that the product is worthy of being delivered to the customer. I don't disagree that some amount of inspection is advisable at delivery, but come on a list of 50 some items to be checked by the buyer!! I guess this is yet another sign that the American consumer has come to expect mediocre performance from companies doing business in the USA. This is sad, very sad!! I expect better from a company that is known for its quality automobiles. I also know that quality varies greatly from dealer to dealer and it seems to me that the responsibility for the condition is their responsibility, not the factory or the VPC. Both of my MINIs have been delivered in very good condition although neither was properly programmed even though I put my request in writing to my MA. Another sign of lack of attention to detail. We have all come to accept mediocrity and are blown away when someone does a good job.
I think you're way off on the reason for this checklist, and I'll even go so far as to guess that you bought your car right off the dealer's lot.

I would bet that few people would do such an extensive check of their vehicle when they get it new... But this is a MINI. When you've waited anywhere from 6 weeks to 12 months for your car, the anticipation can be overwhelming. And when that car arrives at the dealer, the desire is for it to be 100% when you drive it off the lot. This checklist has absolutely NOTHING to do with checking up on the build quality from MINI or the quality of the dealer prep job, and EVERYTHING to do with the fanatacism that 6 weeks to 12 months of waiting for a car to be delivered will breed...

Old 05-05-2005, 09:51 AM
MINIMicia
1st Gear
Re: Checklist

Sarah: That list was amazing! Thank you for taking the time to research, compile, and post it to this forum. I moved everything from your list to an Excel file (yes, I am a geek), so I have a place to check whether it is up to my standards, needs to be fixed or to write notes/questions.

Each time I enter this forum, I am amazed by the level and quality of information and support, the sense of camaraderie between people who – for some – have neither met nor will ever meet, and the sense of enjoyment that people derive from another person’s happiness. Sharing in the vicarious joy each time someone looked at, ordered or purchased a MINI has been great fun!

Again, thanks for the information. My MA told me that my car is coming in Friday, but, while I plan to take a trip up to drool a little, my car won’t be ready until Monday or Tuesday. Apparently, car alarm installation is not performed by magic! Geesh! Your list will make it much easier for me to concentrate on ensuring my car is everything she should be...

Happy Motoring,

Kristin

Old 05-05-2005, 10:03 AM
davn8r
3rd Gear
Thanks, Money!

For those who aren't into things like checklists: move on! You shoulda known from the thread title that's what you'd find here.

This list (and the supplemental suggestions in the thread) are extremely helpful for the rest of us. Thanks!

Old 05-05-2005, 10:11 AM
Tarzan
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Don't forget...

If you live in a state that doesn't require a front license plate, be sure to SPECIFY that the front license plate bracket NOT be installed. You could take it off later, but the screw hole dimples on the front bumper get perforated during the process. (Be sure the bracket is included with the car though).

Absolutely request that your window sticker be kept intact, and not torn during removal.

Definitely stress that you do not want any dealership emblems on the car. Flow MINI gave me a license plate surround that had www.flowmini.com along the top, and "Let's Motor" along the bottom, so I told them they could use that on the rear license plate.

Also, the dealership may drive you over to a gas station before sending you off. If you keep those types of receipts, be sure to get a copy of your gas receipt.

A copy of the first inspection and the battery maintenance form should be in the glove box--make sure.

I asked my MA to peel off the "WARNING" decal on the dash board and the one in the upper left of the windshield, and I kept them and stuck them to the wax paper backing from the window sticker.

Also, I emailed my MA in advance, and buttered him up for all the freebies he could scrape up for me. I asked in the email if he could get me baseball cap, posters, stickers, coffee mugs, pens, keychains, tee-shirts, floor mats, cd's... He had everything I asked for waiting for me, except the floor mats. When I arrived, I asked him again for a free set of floor mats, and he got me a set.

Old 05-05-2005, 10:43 AM
naparsei
1st Gear
In my line of work, if I were to trust the person before me, I could seriously damage expensive equiptment.
Don't worry, moneypenny We're right there with you, we don't want James Bond to get damaged either. Current rumor is that Pierce Brosnan will indeed return as 007 for Casino Royale. Now if only they will let Quentin Tarantino direct!

Old 05-05-2005, 10:55 AM
inimmini
4th Gear
One thing you might add to your list is to make sure the spacers stuck into the front springs for transport have been removed. That's right - there are these plastic half-moon pieces and fit somewhere in the front spring/strut assembly. They weren't removed until my car was on the lift at Helix, and Eric wondered why the strut boots were torn up. I have no idea what their function is, but if they're not removed by the dealer they apparently jut out and rip up the boots as the car goes over bumps. Some pix so you know what to look for ...

Quick Reply: R50/53 Compiled Delivery Checklist