R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Thinking through order spec, what are your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 09:54 PM
Armantrout
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All,

I'm thinking through my order and have some misc. questions that I haven't seen addressed in the faq's or by searching the archives. I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts or tips on these.

- I see that the 16" x-lite weighs 17lbs each compared to 25lbs for the 17's. Does anyone have any idea how much the stock tires in the two sizes (performance on the 17's) weigh, or the totals for the two combos? Has anyone done any acceleration comparisons and documented the difference?

- What is the thinking on the Harmon Kardon system? Is it much better than the stock system? Is it worth the upgrade price?

- Does anyone know how much the sunroof weighs?

- I haven't seen a car with the cloth interior at any local dealers yet, are the bolsters still leatherette or cloth with the cloth interior?

- Any unexpected tricks in putting a toggle switch in that empty spot where the rear fog is supposed to go? I was thinking of a garage door opener hack.

I think that's about it for me right now. I'm in between going DS/B, cloth, 16's, sunroof, cold pkg, on-board computer, zenons and fogs, - OR - DS/W, all three pkg's, and blue leather. The idea of going Red/white still tempts me once in a while too, but I'm really pulling towards dark silver lately.

Regards,

--Josh

Old 12-16-2002, 10:04 PM
cuny
3rd Gear
im not to sure of the tire question but im sure you will find the answer to that soon enough. build the car you want to drive all the time because you may spend many mini vacations in it. the time you would race the car will be alot less then the time you will just injoy driving it on some twisty road. i have a dino and it is completely stock and it can be out run by most of the new cars on the road today but everyone just speeds up to see the car and then they wish they were driving it. so paint your own ride for fun and spirit. mcs brg w/w checker top, sport, leather, 17 white wheels, stock cd player

Old 12-16-2002, 10:08 PM
Sarcux
6th Gear
Only thing I can tell you is about the toggles... you can order them, but they're $500 for the new set... then the dealer would have to redo the electronics. The toggles aren't that simple of a problem, they're run off of a circuit board. Making a garage door opener out of it is a good idea, but it is impossible, unfortunately.

Old 12-16-2002, 10:21 PM
Armantrout
Neutral
Hi Guys,

I found the wheel and tire info, can't believe I missed it before. There is great info covering all aspects of tire and wheel weights posted in the Tire and Wheel forum (of all places ) here at MCO (Here).

That sounds pretty rough on the toggle. Is it completely backed by the circuit, meaning that you can't even insert a matching toggle (next question is if they exist) there if not hooked up to anything? I just want to fil the blatant and obvious hole there in the center of the dash.

--Josh

Old 12-16-2002, 11:58 PM
Calvin77
5th Gear
As far as the toggles go, I can't help you out much 'cause mine came with rear fog lights and thus a full set of toggles.
The color, on the other hand...why, DS/W of course!
Seriously, though..I'm really happy with that color choice, looks amazing with blue leather and in my opinion, sportier than DS/B.(though that's nice as well)..
The white roof also keeps the car a little cooler 'round these parts..

Old 12-17-2002, 01:01 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anyone know how much the sunroof weighs?
I read 30 lbs of additional weight. orbhot posts here Link
Any unexpected tricks in putting a toggle switch in that empty spot where the rear fog is supposed to go? I was thinking of a garage door opener hack.
For adding a garage door opener read:
Garage Door Openner Switch
Hope this answers a few of your questions...

Production date: 1/24/03
2k3 MCS LY/W, #1, #2, bootbox, HK & 6-disc