R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 lucas module

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 08:48 PM
namwob
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lucas module

What do you know about the Lucas module? (See strange problem thread in this forum)

Old 03-22-2005, 09:03 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Probably not what you had in mind...

The structure adopted for LUCAS consists of three subject modules linked by a common database (see Figure ). The first LUCAS module contains the socioeconomic models that are used to derive transition probabilities associated with changes in land cover. These probabilities are computed as a function of socioeconomic driving variables including:
  1. transportation networks (access and transportation costs),
  2. slope and elevation (indicators of land-use potential),
  3. ownership (land holder characteristics),
  4. land cover (vegetation), and
  5. population density.
The result of studying the effects of these driving variables on the landscape is stored in a Transition Probability Matrix (TPM)....

Old 03-22-2005, 09:06 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Old 03-22-2005, 09:28 PM
namwob
5th Gear
Yup, wrong one. I mean the one thats not any where to be found in the Bentley published Mini Bible.

Old 03-22-2005, 09:39 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm so lost. . . I thought you were joking about Lucas the Prince of Darkness who inhabits my other British vehicle. . . .

Old 03-22-2005, 11:06 PM
namwob
5th Gear
Your right Yucca,

I've grown up with & almost exclusively driven british cars. When I was born pop had a TD. My brother & sister's 1st cars, both Morris Minors,my 1st hand me down, Morris.Pop ges an MGA, brother, MGB, 850 Mini. I bought the 850 from him. Through the years I got another mini then 2 morris conv. then 2 cooper S & now have an '03 S plus my favorite old '67mini S & my wife"s '55 austin A-30. On the 1st morris you had to prime the starter with the proper length 2x4, placed just so, then smack with a hammer.that was my initiation to, the world of why replace it the next one is made to do the same thing.

Lucas is too ingrained a part of British heritage to be omitted from any automible exported from England.The best way to make a new reliable car have the comforting appeal of tradition is to install the Lucas module. I just can't find any referance to it.The occasional dipping idle, windows &/or sunroof that roll down by themselves before a shower,the flat tire light w/ no flat.............

.........anyway this the thread to add your favorite features of the "Lucas Module"

Last edited by namwob; 03-22-2005 at 11:15 PM. Reason: forgot mga
Old 03-23-2005, 06:38 AM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Originally Posted by namwob

.........anyway this the thread to add your favorite features of the "Lucas Module"
Is the alternator in the MINI a Lucas?

Old 03-23-2005, 06:55 AM
tsukiji
4th Gear
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but....

Most all of the electrics in a new MINI have been borrowed from the BMW 3-series with nothing from Lucas.

Oh now I get it; the Lucas Module is a mythical place where annoying quirks spring from.

Old 03-23-2005, 09:50 AM
Rev. Limiter
4th Gear
Originally Posted by tsukiji
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but....

Most all of the electrics in a new MINI have been borrowed from the BMW 3-series with nothing from Lucas.

Oh now I get it; the Lucas Module is a mythical place where annoying quirks spring from.
Nothing mythical about it when you are stuck on the side of the road because you put on the left turn signal and the headlights died and the wipers quit (old TR-6). Stuck on the side of the road because the fuel pump worked when it wanted, and it usually didn't want to (old Jag Fixed Head Coupe). Then the XK120 you just test drove burnt itself to a crisp the next day before you could make up your mind to buy it. (That was a relief). Most everybody knows what a MGB is because you have seen one on the side of the road in flames.

The Prince of Darkness is (was?) very much alive and well. Made life interesting anyway.

Old 03-23-2005, 10:00 AM
UUNetBill
5th Gear
Had my share of foibles in MGBs, that's for sure. Was a fantastic introduction into the workings (non-workings?) of British automotive electronics. Never had one of my B's go up in flames, thank God. Had the third wiper fall of every one of 'em, every time, all the time - but never any pyrotechnics.

Old 03-23-2005, 10:10 AM
goaljnky
Banned
Originally Posted by UUNetBill
Had my share of foibles in MGBs, that's for sure. Was a fantastic introduction into the workings (non-workings?) of British automotive electronics. Never had one of my B's go up in flames, thank God. Had the third wiper fall of every one of 'em, every time, all the time - but never any pyrotechnics.
Did not have an MGB. Did have a Midget. What's a wiper? But the car did have a perfect 50/50 ratio. Half the time in the shop, half the time on the road.

Old 03-23-2005, 10:27 AM
sjwass
2nd Gear
this is hilarious!

I was just talking with my friend about Lucas. We both owned MGB's in early 70's form before the dreaded black plastic addition. We laughed about how often the car would die if you drove through the wrong puddle. I can't remember how many shirts I ruined while drying out distributor caps etc...all thanks to Lucas.

Of course my intimate knowledge did score me a date one time when I assisted a stranded blonde in an MGB and used my shirt to fix her car!

Old 03-23-2005, 10:34 AM
tsukiji
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Rev. Limiter
Nothing mythical about it...
It's mythical in a MINI.

Old 03-23-2005, 10:43 AM
goaljnky
Banned
Originally Posted by sjwass
I was just talking with my friend about Lucas. We both owned MGB's in early 70's form before the dreaded black plastic addition. We laughed about how often the car would die if you drove through the wrong puddle. I can't remember how many shirts I ruined while drying out distributor caps etc...all thanks to Lucas.

Of course my intimate knowledge did score me a date one time when I assisted a stranded blonde in an MGB and used my shirt to fix her car!
Ah, you must be the infamous Shirt-Fix-aLot.

Old 03-23-2005, 05:15 PM
Rev. Limiter
4th Gear
Originally Posted by tsukiji
It's mythical in a MINI.
Yes!

And it appears that the British have finally figured how to make a drop top that is weather tight.

Ever rode a motorcycle in a rain storm? Just like my TR-6!

And when the radiator quit leaking in the Jag, it was time to worry.