R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 To CVT or Not to CVT?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2002, 04:07 PM
bigbud
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Mini seems headed for the big parking lot in the sky (see "Poor Sick Mini" threads in Beneath the Bonnet forum). The NYS Lemon Law waiting period having been exceded, I expect to soon begin the process of getting a replacement Mini.
The dear departed Mini was CVT (pure silver, sports/premium/cold weather packages if you wanna know). I am interested in hearing from other owners of CVT Minis. How happy are you with this rather uncommon type auto-trans? If you had to do it again, would you get another CVT or would you opt for a 5-speed?
I spend so much time in bumper-to-bumper traffic, I thought an automatic would be less tiresome but I'm worried that the Mini CVT may not be ready for prime time. Whadaya thing?

Old 12-29-2002, 04:18 PM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
I understand what you're saying about the bumper-to-bumper stuff, but IMHO go 5 speed. You'll love it.

Old 12-30-2002, 08:33 AM
MandyinMD
3rd Gear
I just got mine on 12/20 and have put 700 miles on it already. I love it!! I would reccommend getting it again!

Old 12-30-2002, 08:37 AM
wwwebb
5th Gear
Can someone explain the CVT for me? Contant Velocity Transmission. Is it like a big centrifugal clutch like on go carts. The faster you go, the smaller the diameter? And the ironic parallel between the mini and a go cart?

Old 01-01-2003, 07:37 AM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
IMHO......a MC or MCS should only come w/ a manual transmission.

Peace,
D

Old 01-01-2003, 07:49 AM
minifinn
4th Gear
My brother has a CVT MINI and I have a MCS with a six speed. I have driven both types for extended periods. I was suprised to note that the CVT was no slouch when it came to around town travel. The CVT keeps the engine in its peak power band (read rpms) which is great for a small motor. I think if they made a beefier CVT for a higher HP MCS they would sell more than a few. However, the maximum performance aspects of a manual fits the bill for my MCS and it is worth the downside of the rare stop and go traffic where I live.

Honestly consider where and how you drive and make you decision based on that. :smile:

Old 01-02-2003, 10:58 AM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>>My brother has a CVT MINI and I have a MCS with a six speed. I have driven both types for extended periods. I was suprised to note that the CVT was no slouch when it came to around town travel. The CVT keeps the engine in its peak power band (read rpms) which is great for a small motor. I think if they made a beefier CVT for a higher HP MCS they would sell more than a few. However, the maximum performance aspects of a manual fits the bill for my MCS and it is worth the downside of the rare stop and go traffic where I live.
>>
>>Honestly consider where and how you drive and make you decision based on that. :smile:

minifinn: 1,000 thanks for that post!!!! I have really enjoyed my CVT and try my best to eplain to others that it is not your average slush box - but coming from someone who owns a 6-speed, your comments make an impact! I do not disparage the merits of a manual, but so many are too quick to dismiss the CVT.

bigbud On this one, vote with your heart. No one else's justifications are going to make you quite as happy in the end!

Old 01-02-2003, 01:33 PM
C4
Banned
I have 3,200+ troublefree miles in my Cooper CVT. I am having a thrill everytime I drive the car. Never had so much fun driving an "Automatic" transmission.

The CVT (Continiously Variable Transmission) has no gears. It is much simpler than your regular hydraulic operated 4-speed automatic slushbox.

The CVT is the best kept secret in the MINI range. When in either "Sport Mode" or "6-speed Steptronic Mode" this car goes like a bat out of hell at highway speeds...it is simply amazing!.

A lot of non-CVT MINI owners simply love to diss the Cooper CVT and the funniest thing is that they have so much prejudice against this "automatic" MINI that they don't even give it the time of day.

I disagree with the poster that says "The MC and MCS should only be manual". That is a very egocentric comment I might add. The beauty of the MINI is about COMPLETE CHOICE and allow those who for whatever reason can't and won't deal with a stick shift car (Don't know how to drive it or have a physical disability) to be able to fully enjoy this car as their manual transmission counterparts do.

My wife can't and won't drive a manual car. Forget about it. If it hadn't been for the availability of the MINI CVT, we wouldn't have bought it (Albeit I am a seasoned stick shift driver) at all.

MINI needs to expand the availability of the CVT or even a SMG transmission to the Cooper 'S' and even into other future model variants.

Drive the CVT, you might be pleasantly surprised....

Old 01-02-2003, 01:38 PM
VerucaSalt
Coordinator :: Mid-Atlantic
I love mine...it's exactly what I need in a car. Set it to automatic for my commute through the city in to work and home in obnoxious stop and go traffic.....switch to the steptronic for the highway and when there is less traffic for me to deal with. It's perfect for me!

Old 01-02-2003, 01:41 PM
nfo
6th Gear
this isn't too off topic?
out of curiosity how often do you use the steptronic?
i feel like its very addictive!
smg version of the mini would be too good!
i think all of us mini owners are being setup by bmw, to just keep buying the next upgrade down the line from them. i'm personally looking forward to the 1 series bmw. :smile:

Old 01-02-2003, 01:57 PM
C4
Banned
I use the Steptronic quite often and have tons of fun using it. Best of all no need to deal with the clutch pedal!

I also like Sport Mode a lot, I feel like I am driving a pure race car...sooo much fun!

Old 01-02-2003, 04:11 PM
Rohster
Neutral
My first post and reply at the same time...

I also have an automatic transmission Cooper. When you do use the "sports shift" function, do you let off the gas when changing gears or do you have your foot on the gas while shifting? thanks.. Love this message board and website already.

Old 01-02-2003, 04:14 PM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to MCO Rohster!

You do not need to let your foot off the gas when shifting the Steptronic - all forward motion, baby!

Old 01-02-2003, 04:46 PM
CUTiger3
3rd Gear
I prefer a 5 or 6 speed, but would base my decision on driving style and traffic environment. I do agree with the previous post stating the CVT in the MCS would increase sales. That's why we'll see it in 2004

Old 01-02-2003, 09:22 PM
swinburne
1st Gear
Best place for steptronic? On those freeway off ramps I whip it from auto and downshift around those curves like I know what I'm doing! Gives me that testosterone buzz!
The only downside -- and it's minor -- is you can't get too far off the line in 1st; It's like the classic Cooper in this regard; you just get rolling in 1st and then shift quickly into 2nd.
BTW, just took a 155-mile highway ride. Put the cruise control on 75, got 37 MPG!

Little known 'plus:' When you open the door, hit the button but delay actually opening for a smidge of a second; The window DESCENDS a millimeter or two to free the seal! Over time, this will keep the seal tighter, reduce rattle, and prolong power window life. I've only seen this on a Boxster, although I'm sure it must come on a lot of high-end cars.
Loving this car!!!
Jack

Old 01-04-2003, 12:06 AM
silkgreen
2nd Gear
hi,

as a fan of the manual trannys in older cars i would have previously sided with the "stick" option. however, once we rolled over 1000 miles and switched our car to sport mode on the CVT it was all good. that thing really does some amazing stuff. it's fun and you really get the feel that the CVT mini is a sports car after all.

so if you don't like the manual trans there is nothing to fear with the CVT!

curt