R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Weeping Washer

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 06:41 PM
minilites
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Weeping Washer

Good evening all, got a question.has any one with the rear window washer
had their washer weep cleaning fluid it has a tendency to leave
water spots on the chrome,paint and mini logo on hatch back. Is this something the dealer should look at.Thanks

05 MCS,BRG,White Roof,Wheels,Mirrors,Sport,Premium & Cold packages,HKS,LSD ,Anthracite Trim inc Headliner

Old 04-17-2005, 08:28 PM
tattman23
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by minilites
water spots on the chrome,paint and mini logo on hatch back. Is this something the dealer should look at.Thanks
First, I noticed in your signature that you have actual Wheels . That has got to be a good thing, right? Seriously though, my own sig points to my fun experiences with various MINI spritzers...

The thing should clearly not weep when you're not even trying to make it happen (with the right-hand stalk, I mean). I wonder, if you take a step back, and check your waterspots, if they resemble the virgin mary (a MINI miracle)?

There are 3 or 4 places on my MCS that do drip (and leave spots if ignored) after I wash and dry the car. The bottom of the gas cap opening is one such spot, and also along the bottom edge of the boot, there's like a time-delayed drip (or 3) which runs right down the rear bumper and definitely succeeds at being very annoying.

Would you say that your washer jets (when you use them on purpose) have adequate pressure?

When does this weeping happen?

Tatt

Old 04-17-2005, 08:36 PM
Brain1.0
Manufacturer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine weeps too, as do the M-Coupes. It tends to stain the tril and leave a buildup on top of th erear emblem. The fronts dot do it but the back does. I have a friend that complained with his M-Coupe and they put in a check valve, problem solved. I would like to just get the part # and do it myself, I hate to leave mey car at the dealer for stuff like this.

Old 04-17-2005, 08:53 PM
mjstrom
1st Gear
Originally Posted by minilites
water spots on the chrome,paint and mini logo on hatch back. Is this something th
Same problem here on the rear wiper. Picked up my MCS 2 weeks ago (2/05 build). Wipe it away and the spotting comes back. Have yet to use the wash/wiper, so I know its not a accidental usage. Taking this to the dealer, after 1500 miles.

Old 04-18-2005, 07:22 AM
vagt6
2nd Gear
My '05 MCS rear washers also "weeped" on the back, leaving ugly stain marks near the MINI badge.

It strangely stopped after awhile, I attribute this to maybe the washer reservoir becoming less full, causing less weepage (I like that word!).

So, maybe we can reduce weepage by removing a bit of the rear washer fluid????

Or not???

All I know is, it doesn't happen anymore

Old 04-18-2005, 10:04 AM
Hammer
4th Gear
My '05 may have weeped at first - not sure because I kept hitting the rear wiper by mistake the first day I had it. I haven't used the rear washer since and no more weeping.

Old 04-18-2005, 10:10 PM
eVal
6th Gear
I have it and was told by Mini that if enough people complain about it they might come up with a fix

See my thread here:

http://forums1.roadfly.org/mini/foru...6480889-1.html

Old 04-19-2005, 08:53 AM
tattman23
6th Gear
When it was new, my MCS's FRONT washer jets barely functioned. The scientific term for how forcefully the fluid came from the jets is "toddler tinkle" . I should have checked a few other MINI's (but didn't) to find out if this was the status quo... In order to get this gentle arc of washer fluid to the right spots on the windshield, I used a tack (ver-ry Carefully) to aim the jets way higher, and motored on, resigned to my wee (wee-wee?) washers...

Well, one day (back when I actually used the windshield washers) I hit the switch and 4 very "vigorous" streams of washer fluid arced clean OVER the car, presumably rinsing the blacktop behind it. Ran this by my MA, and he pointed to a possible cause - the nozzles were partially blocked with (prep guys?) wax. I polished the water spots off the bonnet (from the tinkle-spray days), adjusted the jets back downwards a bit (for the final time), and motored on :smile:.

The point of this lengthy discourse (yes it was all leading up to this), you could have partial blockage, especially if it trickles/weeps for a period of time after you use it. Seems weird that there would be ANY flow - think of putting your thumb over the end of a straw full of water, gravity can't move the water out of the straw, until you remove your finger (and when that happens you should drip it directly onto your scrunched up paper straw-wrapper to watch it un-crinkle in a captivating manner ).

Anywho, as the weather heats up, and with more usage, I wouldn't be surprised if the system begins to work properly, ie quits weeping, when the blockage works free or dissolves/melts/evaporates.

No one in his/her right mind would have this much to say on this topic, I realize that,

Tatt

Old 04-19-2005, 09:00 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tattman23
When it was new, my MCS's FRONT washer jets barely functioned. The scientific term for how forcefully the fluid came from the jets is "toddler tinkle" . I should have checked a few other MINI's (but didn't) to find out if this was the status quo... In order to get this gentle arc of washer fluid to the right spots on the windshield, I used a tack (ver-ry Carefully) to aim the jets way higher, and motored on, resigned to my wee (wee-wee?) washers...

Well, one day (back when I actually used the windshield washers) I hit the switch and 4 very "vigorous" streams of washer fluid arced clean OVER the car, presumably rinsing the blacktop behind it. Ran this by my MA, and he pointed to a possible cause - the nozzles were partially blocked with (prep guys?) wax. I polished the water spots off the bonnet (from the tinkle-spray days), adjusted the jets back downwards a bit (for the final time), and motored on :smile:.

The point of this lengthy discourse (yes it was all leading up to this), you could have partial blockage, especially if it trickles/weeps for a period of time after you use it. Seems weird that there would be ANY flow - think of putting your thumb over the end of a straw full of water, gravity can't move the water out of the straw, until you remove your finger (and when that happens you should drip it directly onto your scrunched up paper straw-wrapper to watch it un-crinkle in a captivating manner ).

Anywho, as the weather heats up, and with more usage, I wouldn't be surprised if the system begins to work properly, ie quits weeping, when the blockage works free or dissolves/melts/evaporates.

No one in his/her right mind would have this much to say on this topic, I realize that,

Tatt
This post is a classic...and it really "pi$$es" me off...tee hee!!

Clover

Old 04-19-2005, 09:06 AM
tattman23
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIclo
This post is a classic...and it really "pi$$es" me off...tee hee!!

Clover
Good Morning, Ms Clo - that is a very nice (plus funny ) compliment, thank you!

Tatt