R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Speeding TicketS... as in multiple tickets. :\

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 03:03 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahh - so I had it 90% right... the only exception to the rule that I stated, is that you can go up to 24 over in a 35 zone (59 mph) and not get a reckless ticket.

Revised, simpler, easy to read rules:

1) 20+ over the limit in any speed zone (except 35mph zone)
2) Any speed over 80
3) 25+ over the limit in 35 zone (60+ mph)

Don't you just love how weird and quirky VA law is? (sarcasm intended)

As for driving faster than 69, yes you could clearly drive 74 in a 55 in VA and not get a reckless ticket... but keep in mind that you are more likely to get pulled over in the first place for doing 74 instead of 69! Since most of my "speed trap road" driving is on 55mph roads, that's why I set my speed alarm to 75... as in "HEY - YOU ARE ENTERING RECKLESS TERRITORY!" Problem is, I usually have the stereo cranked, and I can't hear the "ding ding ding" chimes with the music playing!

Old 04-29-2005, 04:10 PM
Aqualung
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Averywo
Is the Lidar that "instant on" thing I keep hearing about on radar discussions?

I've decided to go the ticket busters route, since they have a money back gaurentee, I don't have too much to lose :P
Yup, it's laser. Basically it only takes a couple of seconds for the mountie to get your speed, by the time the V1 chirps, you're bagged, hence the "instant on".

Old 06-17-2005, 12:59 PM
bbmykal
4th Gear
I had to bump this one back up... and add my story...

Let me first mention prior to this I have had a clean record for over 10 years....

I was 'catching up' with my buddies ahead and made sure there was no radar on my V1 and gunned it. Posted limits are at 35 and it was about 1240AM and the street was dead. I accelerated and the last time I looked down at my speedo it' showd 75mph. But of couse at the next corner was a black and white sitting there doing nothing (not for long).

Well I KNOW i was gonna get pulled over so I thought "let's make this interesting"...

I take the corner right in front of him and take off down the side streets, making about 4 QUICK turns then through an alley and head back to the main street all in aobut 10 seconds. By the time I look back at my mirror he was just pulling back out and of course flipped his lights on... Right behind him was 3 more cops for backup.

Needless to say he was slightly pissed. They checked me for DUI (I was sober yes) and went through my car with a fine tooth comb. An hour later I'm handed a stack of 10, count'em 10 tickets. Speeding was the first, he didn't have is radar on so he put down 50 mph. I squeeled the tires on the turns so that was a ticket. A few turns with no turn signals. Then there was the bogus ones like improper lane usage (there are no lanes on a single lane road), impared front view (banner on top of windshild), impared side view( I had a sticker on my back rear window), Seat belt ( I DID have it on).

Well we went to court and i asked for a continuance so i could bring my lawyer. On the court date the cop shows up in plain clothes JUST for my case (oh so nice).

Well I got a good ear full from the judge, and thanks to my lawyer just got the speeding and a turn signal to stick. But one more conviction and I would have had my licence suspended, and if i get one more ticket in the year i will be suspended.

Total bill was like $600....

Old 06-17-2005, 01:34 PM
UUNetBill
5th Gear
Gack!

Almost makes ya wonder what the bill woulda been for just the speeding

In the old days (70s) I'd have done the same thing - often did, as a matter of fact. But now, with my license already in tatters and a family at home, I gotta stop when the lights come on. Not that I LIKE it, mind you - but I almost feel like I HAVE to. 'Course, when I'm on the Honda 919 with the pipes on full boil, the temptation to NOT stop is pretty strong. Something about that matte black paint, I guess - "Come to the Dark Side, Luke!"

Man, it's a good thing you weren't comin' home from the clubs - you'd STILL be in the tank. . .

Old 06-17-2005, 02:12 PM
The Short Bus
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been pulled over 4 times now... and given many warnings. No tickets.
  1. swirving through a turn in my thunderbird, following too close when the person in front of me slammed their brakes dropping 20 mph instantly when they saw the cop, and being out "past curfew" (midnight) He felt like a jackbutt when he saw i was 18 (and it was 11:50 p.m.) I let him know i had my cruise set on 57 when the person in front of me "randomly" braked and i had to slow down immediately. And i politely said i was in a TURN when i swerved and didn't realize i went a half inch over the solid line on the right side of the road. "Warning"
  2. I was leaving my boyfriend's neighborhood, and pulled up to the light. Something thumped on my passenger door, and i was worried what it was. I put my flashers on, ran around and noticed it was just my phone that slid across the seat and hit the door. When i got back in, and was about to go throught the light, i look through my passenger window and see a cop car beside me... with his lights flashing. WTF? He asked if everything was ok, and i told him what happened. "You look mighty young miss, isn't it past your curfew?" It was 12:30 a.m. this time. I was ALMOST 19. i got smart and said "No, i'm 18, did you want to check my license?" he got defensive and said NO THANKS have a nice night.
  3. I came to a complete stop (very rare at this t-intersection) and took a left hand turn. I saw the cop but didn't glance but a second when i saw him. I was driving my miata this time, and he pulled out and followed me for 2 miles before he put on his lights. It was 11:45 gosh-darn p.m. again, and he asked why i'm out past curfew. This time i'm 19. He ended up saying he pulled me for no front plate. I showed him my passenger seat filled to the brim with cleaning supplies and miata toys saying i just got in from a car show, and i took my plate off for it, which was true . "Warning"
  4. I was driving home while it was snowing, in my miata this time, and the temperature dropped drastically on my ride home. I hit a patch of "black ice" my rear end kicked out FAST, i overcorrected and slid through the opposite lane, striahgt down a hill, sideways into a ditch, slid straight out of the ditch, and through a corn field. Two cops came over to me when they saw my emergency flashers on through the field and asked if i had any passengers. I said no, and they thought i was STUPID. I forgot i had My Size Barbie in the seat, and looked like an idiot saying the shadow they saw was a barbie doll. The cop slid down the hill and checked over my car carefully. After noting the only thing wrong with my car was a small amount of corn stalk stuck in my plate frame (i put my plate back on ) and HIS car slid on the patch mine did... "Warning"
  5. I had an accident. I rearended a cadillac after a John Doe slammed their brakes, and jumped out in time before hitting the caddy. I didn't stop in time and slid into him while braking still, while it was sleeting. I admitted fault, and he caught me with no county sticker. I didn't change the address on my license to reflect me moving into my dads, and i was so worked up i put down the wrong number. (to my moms, i haven't lived there in a year and a half) I got off with a FEW Warnings. I didn't drive the miata afterwards, never put on a county sticker, and still haven't changed my address on my license. I'm moving out soon anyhow, and i bought my mini later that day. As you can tell, the miata wasn't the safest car for me.
I've been lucky... but i don't speed. Well, i didn't until i went on one mini drive where i COULDN"T keep up and was scared to death to take a car over 70 mph for the first time ever. I sometimes jump in wolf packs on the highways (the rare times i'm on the highway) but never exceed anyone. I usually feel less safe when i drive near the limit. Not once have i been pulled in my mini. They don't even give me a second glance. Heck, most of them that do catch my eye contact, WAVE! It's bright yellow, i still look 12, but they don't even bother.

Old 06-17-2005, 02:25 PM
brgfan
4th Gear
Originally Posted by bbmykal
Well I KNOW i was gonna get pulled over so I thought "let's make this interesting"...

Total bill was like $600....
Sounds like you suceeded in making it interesting, but boring might have been less expensive.

Old 06-17-2005, 02:43 PM
Rossii
5th Gear
To my dismay I see a nice new ticket on my Mini, yes a PARKING TICKET. I was parked in between 5 other cars on the same street, and when I got back I noticed all the cars were gone but mine...and a sign that said "NO PARKING AT ANY TIME UP TO THIS POINT" argh.
I feel for you........several years back I used to live in Downtown SJ at the Colonade Apt right across the street from SJSU. It was a Sat night and drizzling. So I turned on my headlights w/fogs. Turned on to Santa Clara headed for Santa Clara U. BHAM get pulled over since Santa Clara Blvd is a "No Cruising Zone" on Fri and Sat nights. Reason---according to the cop because I had my driving lights on!?!?! I said those are fog lights not driving lights?!?!? Regardless gave me a ticket. Went to court to fight it.......cop didnt show and I won .......or did I ...I came out and what did I see a parking ticket .

Old 06-17-2005, 03:00 PM
weaverpsu
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Funny, I am in the last 7 days of my 30 day suspension. I was driving home from a diner at 4AM when I pulled up on a new Tiburon. I egged him on a bit and then took off once I saw him make a move. I blew him away, which I knew I would and had this big smile on my face. (he was with a girl )
Well that smile quickly ran off when I saw flashing lights behind me. I was in awe. I couldn't believe I got caught. I was clocked at 109mph in a 40! Usually a 50mph zone, but I started accelerating in a work area so he added that in. He was pretty pissed at me. As if I did something personal to him. Made me do a DUI test as well. I was fine though. Gave me two tickets. The other was for "racing on the highway". A 5 pt ticket I had to get a lawyer and thankfully I only lost my license for 30 days. It could have been 9 months!

Definitely won't do that again. Maybe at a light but not ever at that speed while racing someone. It's pretty dumb. There wasn't anyone on the road but at that speed your screwed if anything happens. Just thought I would add my story.

Old 12-25-2008, 11:09 PM
MoxieMini
6th Gear
Story time... The first time I ever got pulled over it was for going 35mph over the speed limit, tailgating, and illegal passing. I was 17 and stupid in my first car, the trooper gave me a warning (thank god!).

I understand your frustration with people that want to "race" you on the interstate. It happens to me all the time. Another tangent - One time I got a ticket because I WAS going the speed limit. An unmarked cop car tailgated me for over 5 miles. Not knowing he was a cop, I braked lightly, I braked harshly, I slowed down (to 10mph under the limit), I changed lanes, and finally I started speeding up. Then, guess what happens... blue light special for dinner.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:31 AM
DaveTinNY
6th Gear
I let the tailgaters zoom by me and then follow them with about a tenth of a mile buffer zone... that way when I see their brake lights I know I need to let up. Let them get nailed not you. ;-) I know my roads and the usual hiding spots for the State Police and Palisades Parkway police in NY where I commute. Makes it easy. I credit law enforcement when they come up with a new spot... Ooooooh, sneaky! ;-)

My ~15 year old, 360 degree coverage radar detector is very convenient for the small towns I go through on a daily basis. The police have older radar systems which I seem to pick up audibly in plenty of time to get within 5mph of the small town limit. Not that I'm a speedster either, I just know some of the small town police like to nail folks if they're over the five mph zone.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:35 AM
DaveTinNY
6th Gear
MoxieMini, you're right! I, too, was going 40mph on my aforementioned local road (9D in NY)... I had it locked in with my cruise control. One of the locals came up behind me and I just merried along at my legal 40 when he suddenly hit the lights. I pulled over and he zoomed off past me. I had to smile. Must be nice having the power of a light bar.
I used to know it when I was a fire fighter. :-)

Old 12-26-2008, 08:59 AM
fms
5th Gear
LIDAR is used by all motorcycle cops, and no detector helps. If your unit starts to scream (and my Passport 8500 will make you soil yourself, it's so loud w/ a laser hit) and you're the actual target, it's already too late. I used to trust my detector completely, but I've been hit twice in the last 4 or 5 months, once from a cop so close (well hidden side street) that the detector didn't even go off. Close in, lasers have a tiny beam so he must have been aiming down around my license plate. My faith in high tech protection has been shattered.
Don't know if laser jammers work in all situations, especially in close quarters, so I haven't gone that route. Anybody w/ experience w/ jammers? Might seem a bit odd to a LIDAR cop to get no readout on his gun when you're the only target around- he might ticket you anyway, which would make the cost of a jammer kind of a waste. Could be a bit tough to fight a ticket based on using a jammer-"Your honor, there's no way the officer could have known how fast I was going..."
I used to resent tickets in a huge way, but now that I've had two within a short time- and I wasn't much over ten mph too fast each time- I've had to develop a different attitude about things: if I speed and get caught, it's all my fault. Helps me deal w/ the urge to do what the MINI loves to do.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:11 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Slow down ?

I have heard this before, and one may opine until the cows come home, but the fact is Speed does kill.

Contrary to how you may feel about your driving skills, no matter how good you are, and I am sure you are an excellent driver, the unexpected is what can do you in....ie: Deer or dog running ahead of you across your path of travel, car pulling out infront of you from break down lane, vehicle infront of you panic braking, black ice.....any number of things.

Issuing speeding tickets is just one part of a cop's job, and they may be more aggressive in one location than another due to supervision factors for that region.

Take the hint, some one is trying to tell you something. And get your MINI "smudged" by a really good wiccan or Shaman - asap.....

Old 12-28-2008, 07:15 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by fms
LIDAR is used by all motorcycle cops, and no detector helps. If your unit starts to scream (and my Passport 8500 will make you soil yourself, it's so loud w/ a laser hit) and you're the actual target, it's already too late. I used to trust my detector completely, but I've been hit twice in the last 4 or 5 months, once from a cop so close (well hidden side street) that the detector didn't even go off. Close in, lasers have a tiny beam so he must have been aiming down around my license plate. My faith in high tech protection has been shattered.
Don't know if laser jammers work in all situations, especially in close quarters, so I haven't gone that route. Anybody w/ experience w/ jammers? Might seem a bit odd to a LIDAR cop to get no readout on his gun when you're the only target around- he might ticket you anyway, which would make the cost of a jammer kind of a waste. Could be a bit tough to fight a ticket based on using a jammer-"Your honor, there's no way the officer could have known how fast I was going..."
I used to resent tickets in a huge way, but now that I've had two within a short time- and I wasn't much over ten mph too fast each time- I've had to develop a different attitude about things: if I speed and get caught, it's all my fault. Helps me deal w/ the urge to do what the MINI loves to do.

When being trained for using LIDAr, cops are taught to aim the beam for headlights or front license plates.......The MINI - IMO, is an easy target in that regards because about 70% of the front of the MINI is a target rich environment for these types of speed enf devices.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:27 PM
bmwg84
2nd Gear
I'd recommend that everyone slow down and start driving the speed limit. As local state budget deficits reach all time highs, they will start ticketing for ANYTHING to increase revenue. Be safe out there,

Old 12-29-2008, 06:44 PM
fms
5th Gear
I agree that in many cases, slowing down can be safer, but with neither of my tickets was I being any kind of unsafe- the only car in broad daylight on straight roads not in residential areas, in each case going a bit faster than the posted speed- yes, I was a target for raising revenue, no doubt. Hadn't thought of having my car smudged- what's that about?

Old 12-29-2008, 06:58 PM
OldRick
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It's a real heart-breaker to hear you guys whining about getting tickets for more than 7mph over the limit. My heart just bleeds for the injustice of it all...

IMHO, if you are stupid enough to get a ticket for doing 15-20 over limit in a place where a cop sees you doing it, you are dumb enough lose your license for a long time, and I'd personally go to court and testify to make it happen.

It doesn't matter what you think of the law - if you break it, you are liable, and nobody wants to hear your p***ing and moaning about it. Take responsibility for the consequences of your own stupid actions, suck it up, pay the fines, and quit bitching. Better yet, grow up and stuff the hot-shot driver routine!

P.S. - Lidar and Radar diffusers are pure hype with no merit whatsoever - there is NO way they will save you a ticket, in spite of all the bogus testimonials on all the web sites that sell this garbage. Go back to high-school, and take a science class, and perhaps you will understand why...

Last edited by OldRick; 12-29-2008 at 07:07 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:00 PM
bmwg84
2nd Gear
Yeah! Grow up! lol

Old 12-30-2008, 07:38 AM
MerchoMini
4th Gear
Fred3, suck it, we like spirited driving, he never killed anyone with his driving, i hope u get a ticket and get fined to the max

Old 01-01-2009, 02:42 PM
mobsTTa
Neutral
Some advice from aol via AUDIWORLD

http://autos.aol.com/article/general...14154509990001

So as of today, i've got two speeding tickets from driving my Mini, which i've had since Nov. I currently live in NorCal (San Jose), moved here about the same time I got my Mini. I lived in SoCal all my life and from the 5 years ive been driving in SoCal...not a single ticket. Got pulled over once for a fix it but thats about it. So the second I move to NorCal I get tickets up the wazhoo. I'm thinking the cops around here are more aggressive than SoCal, I remember the actual ticket I ever got was last year, driving from SoCal to NorCal for a convention, so out of my entire driving career all my tickets have been in NorCal, even when I was living in SoCal.

Anyway, so last month on 3/2/05, I was driving to work, the usual routine that I drive and I was particularly excited that day because I was going to AMVIV II later that night. I get pulled over about a block from the freeway on ramp, allegedly going 56mph on a 40mph zone. I didn't even see the officer until the lights on his motorcycle was flashing. Tagged me using Lidar and wrote me a ticket for VC 22350 (Basic Speed Law). So I do a little research do decide to do a trial by declaration. I head to the court house and wait in line for an hour to tell them I want a trial by declaration, the clerk gives me 20 days and I leave. To my dismay I see a nice new ticket on my Mini, yes a PARKING TICKET. I was parked in between 5 other cars on the same street, and when I got back I noticed all the cars were gone but mine...and a sign that said "NO PARKING AT ANY TIME UP TO THIS POINT" argh.

A month and a half later, 4/21/05 im driving to work again (same time as my other ticket at 10:40am in the morning) but this time im on the freeway. I'm going with the flow of the traffic at about 75-80 and I get this car who keeps tailgating me for no apperant reason. So this guy is on me for like a good five minutes and I just said, screw it and downshifted to 5th and sped up and into the fast lane. The other car speeds up but goes into the far right lane, like he wanted to race me. So I this happens for about 10 seconds and i'm about to slow down, then I see a camero (I guess it was a camero, definately wasn't a crown vic.) behind me speeding up, and then the blue and red lights from the sunvisor turns on, turns out to be a cop. So he pulls me over, insults my intellectual integrity (Wasn't so smart there were you) and asks if I was racing the guy, I reply "No" since I wasn't. I ask for a warning and he tells me "No" since you zoomed right past me and hands me a ticket (VC 22349 Speed Limit) for 85mph on the freeway of 65mph.

I'm planning on fighting both tickets (well one is already in the process of being fought) but I need some advice. I'm thinking of using a lawyer to get them out of the way but they might be expensive and I don't know how to find one. I also found out about Ticket Busters (http://www.ticketbust.com/index.htm) and I would like to know if they are any good. I've got about a week left to turn in my Trial by Declaration and im not sure what defence I should be using. I've got a pretty good defence for if I was standing in front of the officer in the courtroom where I could cross examine him (http://www.helpigotaticket.com/speed/30questions.html) but i'm not sure what to put on for the trial of declaration. I'd rather just pay Ticket Busters $99 bucks each if they can get me out of both tickets but I don't know anything about them.

I've already used up my traffic school about 12 months ago and I don't want any points on my record (3 years of insurance premiums? No thank you.). I'm also looking into a good radar detector (Escort 8550 or Valentine One) and planning on doing some Autocrossing to sedate myself from going over :P

Edit - Oh yeah and I saw 2 Minis pass me while pulled over on the 880/17 fwy :\