R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Cracked tail light cover question...ARRRRGH!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 07:35 AM
05DSMCS
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cracked tail light cover question...ARRRRGH!

So I have my first battle scar. My daughter didn't put her bike away last night, and I backed into it coming out of the garage in the dark when running to the store for some late night groceries. It smacked the rear tail light, putting a nice little spiderweb crack in it, and then slid down the rear, scratching the paint a bit on the way down.

I don't think the paint was scratched much deeper than the clearcoat, so that should hopefully not be too much of a problem, but does anyone have experience with a cracked tail light? Does the entire assembly need to be replaced, or can just the clear plastic be switched out? How much does it cost?

I am coming up on my service time, so I think I'll just call and schedule an early appointment to give it the once-over in addition to making the small repairs. It was a painful experience, but I had to expect something like that to happen sometime.

Old 05-31-2005, 07:39 AM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
whole housing needs to be replaced. its an easy fix, one nut and it pops out. If the dealer wont give it to you on a waranty fix (they most likely will), look on ebay, they are very cheap.

Old 05-31-2005, 08:09 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hope you went ahead and completely ran over the bike so it would be a painful lesson for your daughter as well. . . .

Just kidding. . .

I remember when I was a kid and was told to put my big wheel away and not leave it in the driveway. My lesson was learned when I looked out from breakfast to see the garbage men tossing my beloved big wheel into the truck. I ran out there just in time to see the huge hydraulic jaws crushing my big wheel into pieces!

I'm not sure how much a new tail light assembly costs, but you might likely find a used one if you post a want ad in the marketplace forums. Enough people have switched to aftermarket lights that you could replaced it with a used piece rather cheaply.

Old 05-31-2005, 08:10 AM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
he has an 05 tho, it might be harder since few of us 05 owners have put in pre04 lights yet. when i put my lights in, i'll have a set of 05 lights ready and waiting for ya.

Old 05-31-2005, 08:24 AM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ouch!! I guess it could have/would have been worse if you ran the bike over and it somehow got stuck UNDER the MINI....wowza - I can't imagine... sorry to hear this but glad it wasn't worse...

Donna
02' CR/W MCS (gone to MINI heaven - burned up)
05' Cool Blue MCSC "Ariel"
05' HB/W MCS

Old 05-31-2005, 08:26 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
As has been said, the whole assembly must be replaced. It's VERY easy to R&R the lense - one connector, one bolt, and a few pressure clips. The individual lights are ~$85 from the dealer. Haven't seen any '05s on ebay, but (if you want to save money) you can also look at any online wrecker - there should be a few crashed '05s() by now.

Old 05-31-2005, 09:21 AM
05DSMCS
4th Gear
Great suggestions, I really appreciate it. I have my 10K appointment at the dealer on Friday, so I may just have them take care of it.

I'm glad I didn't run over the bike for a number of reasons. She felt bad enough about damaging the "super cooper" as my kids call it, when she woke up this morning. I just kept thinking how horrible it would have been if I would have backed up into someone rather than something - although that is pretty unlikely at 11pm.

It was sad to see the scratches, but I think that after all is said and done, I really would have felt worse if I had ruined her bike, she really loves it and it would have broken her heart. As much as I love my MINI, I love my daughter infinitely more!

Old 05-31-2005, 09:23 AM
05DSMCS
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rednwhitecooper
he has an 05 tho, it might be harder since few of us 05 owners have put in pre04 lights yet. when i put my lights in, i'll have a set of 05 lights ready and waiting for ya.
Just out of curiosity, when do you think that would be? I checked eBay and all they have are either pre-05, or altezza or clear type lenses, which just aren't for me. I'm all about OEM.