R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Sunroof weight

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 04:24 PM
mmMatt
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nothing to fight about guys, it's just a sunroof.

I'm guessing the 64lb is measuring the weight of a car with a sunroof and the weight of a car without the sunroof. Not just the sunroof assembly. There is obviously structural differences in the roof to support the added weight/mounting of the sunroof so that is probably where the extra 9lbs comes from.

Both numbers are right in their own way

Old 06-01-2005, 04:26 PM
C4
Banned
I have had sunroofs in MINI loaners and when opened, that baby gets LOUD at highway speeds. Even with it close,d you can hear the turbulence.

I guess sunroofs are not for everyone.

Old 06-01-2005, 06:41 PM
hugh
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lsd

Not to steal the thread, but on the subject of weight, do the lsd gears, parts, etc. add any pounds?

hs

Old 06-01-2005, 07:14 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by mmMatt
Nothing to fight about guys, it's just a sunroof.

I'm guessing the 64lb is measuring the weight of a car with a sunroof and the weight of a car without the sunroof. Not just the sunroof assembly. There is obviously structural differences in the roof to support the added weight/mounting of the sunroof so that is probably where the extra 9lbs comes from.

Both numbers are right in their own way
It is possible that there are some things that come with a MINI with sunroof that cannot easily be removed/appreciated just as stated above. I have always found that Ryephile does his homework so just send him a PM and ask how he got the 64 pound number.

So when ordering a new MINI you can add 64 pounds with the sunroof option but once it's installed you can remove 55 pounds to lighten the car.

Old 06-01-2005, 07:26 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
east coast ,ohio to be specific, it seems neutral tones (PW, SG, BRG, JB) seem to be the most popular. there are a few EB, CR (mine), LY's etc over here, but id say the neutral tones outnumber the brighter colors 3-1.

Old 06-01-2005, 07:27 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minihune
It is possible that there are some things that come with a MINI with sunroof that cannot easily be removed/appreciated just as stated above. I have always found that Ryephile does his homework so just send him a PM and ask how he got the 64 pound number.

So when ordering a new MINI you can add 64 pounds with the sunroof option but once it's installed you can remove 55 pounds to lighten the car.
*Sigh* I suppose that makes sense...

Old 06-01-2005, 07:46 PM
sckuchta
1st Gear
who cares how much it weighs? The car handles awesome with it anyway and in my opinion is the best option to get.

Old 06-01-2005, 08:03 PM
C4
Banned
Originally Posted by sckuchta
who cares how much it weighs? The car handles awesome with it anyway and in my opinion is the best option to get.
Sorry to steal the thread, but in College I had a music/jazz professor with your last Name (Kuchta). Needless to say he was excellent and a fantastic percussionist. He currently lives in South Florida and performs with the "Funkabilly Playboys" band.

Old 06-02-2005, 06:52 AM
Philpug
2nd Gear
I love the sunroof in ours. I wouldn't buy a Mini withough one.

Old 06-02-2005, 07:17 AM
05JCWS
6th Gear
The myths that the sunroof weight brings out are amazing. I have seen some people say 300lbs. I have seen a few of them weighed (everything from the sunroof and assembly) and they average around 53lbs.-55lbs. Not sure where the 64lbs came up, but I have never seen them weight that much. You have to remember that the sunroof replaces steel, headliner and other such things, so the avg 54lb weight doesn't include those. I would assume that the metal and headliner weighs at least 25-30lbs. Remember steel is heavier than glass. So at best my guess is that the sunroof adds about 25lbs max to the weight of the car. Not a lot, and most likely not noticeable to most drivers.

Old 06-02-2005, 08:10 AM
Thameth
5th Gear
Also as an interesting fact,

I just weighed my new MCS the day i bought it with a full tank of fuel and no driver at 2720lbs. A full tank of fuel weighs about 91lbs, 2720-91lbs= 2629lbs. So if the 2640lbs weight stated by MINI is a "dry" weight then mine is 11lbs under that and might be lower since i couldn't drain my washer fluid tanks (i also have the xenon tank). If its a wet weight then i'm 80lbs over.

Mine is an 05' MCS

-Pano Roof
-Xenon's
-Auto A/C
-LSD
-16in V-Spokes/Xlites

Can't think of other options i have that could add to the cars weight.

Old 06-02-2005, 08:17 AM
ingsoc
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Thameth
I just weighed my new MCS the day i bought it with a full tank of fuel and no driver at 2720lbs. A full tank of fuel weighs about 91lbs, 2720-91lbs= 2629lbs. So if the 2640lbs weight stated by MINI is a "dry" weight then mine is 11lbs under that and might be lower since i couldn't drain my washer fluid tanks (i also have the xenon tank). If its a wet weight then i'm 80lbs over.

Mine is an 05' MCS

-Pano Roof
-Xenon's
-Auto A/C
-LSD
-16in V-Spokes/Xlites
Interesting thought, but I've read somewhere that the quoted weight for the base model is including a full tank and an average driver. So I believe that means you are a bit more than just 11 pounds over the quoted figure.

Old 06-02-2005, 08:27 AM
Skiploder
Banned
We took our sunroof out today preparing for an event. I just weighed the actual assembly and it's almost 55 lbs on the dot.

We replace it with a sheet of carbon fiber great weight savings.
The body shop down the road from our Yard does the aero kits, etc. for the local BMW/MINI dealer. We also take our company vehicles there.

I saw this thread yesterday and stopped by this morning to ask him if he had ever weighed one.

By chance, they were painting the roof of a DS/DS (with sunroof) black for someone who had just taken delivery of the vehicle. The entire assembly had been removed last night.

He grabbed the sunroof assembly and weighed it in front of me - 54 lbs 14 oz.

Old 06-02-2005, 08:29 AM
Thameth
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ingsoc
Interesting thought, but I've read somewhere that the quoted weight for the base model is including a full tank and an average driver. So I believe that means you are a bit more than just 11 pounds over the quoted figure.
Thats a highly contested rumor about it including an "average" driver. You want to quote the lightest weight possible and that would be an unladen weight which means no driver no fluids. Doing it with no fluids would be the most scientific way of getting the cars base weight.

I highly doubt me having Xenon's and panoroof will put my car 165+ lbs over weight which is the "average driver" ....

I'll see if i can get a friend with a base MCS with no xenon's or roof to come to the same scale.

Old 06-02-2005, 08:30 AM
Thameth
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Skiploder

He grabbed the sunroof assembly and weighed it in front of me - 54 lbs 14 oz.
Skip,

Was that with the motor and all the rails???? Thanx for the post!

Old 06-02-2005, 08:32 AM
ahamos
Coordinator :: River City Minis
We took our sunroof out today preparing for an event. I just weighed the actual assembly and it's almost 55 lbs on the dot.

We replace it with a sheet of carbon fiber great weight savings.
Any interest in developing and selling a kit? I'd LOVE to have this option for rallyes and autocrosses.

Did I stress that enough? Perhaps I should say that I'd LOVE to have that option.

Old 06-02-2005, 08:41 AM
C4
Banned
I think MINI sells in Europe an optional Electric Canvas Roof. I have seen canvas sunroofs in Classic Minis and I tend to like them better than the typical glass panel systems:

http://northamericanmotoring.org/for...achmentid=5234

You get the best of both worlds... a sunroof but much lighter.

Old 06-02-2005, 08:43 AM
C4
Banned
I'll see if i can get a friend with a base MCS with no xenon's or roof to come to the same scale.
Are ya talking to me?

Old 06-02-2005, 08:44 AM
Skiploder
Banned
Skip,

Was that with the motor and all the rails???? Thanx for the post!
Yes - he placed everything on a digital scale in the office.

Old 06-02-2005, 10:24 AM
Thameth
5th Gear
Originally Posted by C4
Are ya talking to me?
You or Luis, who's up to it more?

Old 06-02-2005, 10:24 AM
Thameth
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Skiploder
Yes - he placed everything on a digital scale in the office.
Awesome, thanx Skip!!

Old 06-02-2005, 11:15 AM
05JCWS
6th Gear
Awesome, thanx Skip!!
And that confirms everything I have seen. So gain, I think it is not anymore than 25lbs over a car without a roof.

Also, the weight quoted by Mini is with all the options.

Old 06-02-2005, 11:21 AM
ahamos
Coordinator :: River City Minis
Originally Posted by C4
I think MINI sells in Europe an optional Electric Canvas Roof. I have seen canvas sunroofs in Classic Minis and I tend to like them better than the typical glass panel systems:

http://northamericanmotoring.org/for...achmentid=5234

You get the best of both worlds... a sunroof but much lighter.
This is not true. There is an after-market cloth roof being sold by AC Schnitzer (or at least it was, I think they might have a new distributor). It does not retro-fit on cars with factory sunroofs.

Old 06-02-2005, 11:49 AM
mikem53
5th Gear
Originally Posted by dgszweda1
The myths that the sunroof weight brings out are amazing. I have seen some people say 300lbs. I have seen a few of them weighed (everything from the sunroof and assembly) and they average around 53lbs.-55lbs. Not sure where the 64lbs came up, but I have never seen them weight that much. You have to remember that the sunroof replaces steel, headliner and other such things, so the avg 54lb weight doesn't include those. I would assume that the metal and headliner weighs at least 25-30lbs. Remember steel is heavier than glass. So at best my guess is that the sunroof adds about 25lbs max to the weight of the car. Not a lot, and most likely not noticeable to most drivers.
You are not taking into account the extra bracing in the roof that is needed to support the "hole" and sunroof assembly. That is where some of the extra weight is coming from. The gauge of metal used on the roof is going to be much less weight than the thick safety glass, tracks and motors being used.
Most race cars don't even paint the roof because of the unnecessary weight in a high place.
I do agree that most drivers under normal circumstances will never know the difference in performance.

Old 06-02-2005, 12:02 PM
Thameth
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mikem53
You are not taking into account the extra bracing in the roof that is needed to support the "hole" and sunroof assembly. That is where some of the extra weight is coming from. The gauge of metal used on the roof is going to be much less weight than the thick safety glass, tracks and motors being used.
Most race cars don't even paint the roof because of the unnecessary weight in a high place.
I do agree that most drivers under normal circumstances will never know the difference in performance.

Of course,

Nobody is saying that a MINI with the sunroof isn't heavier or is the same weight as a base MCS or Cooper. We're just saying its not as bad as most people think.

Also i doubt there is too much extra bracing if any at all in pano roof cars because of the split in the pano roof near the rear is probably the standard bracing the car comes with.

Would be interesting to see the headliner pulled from both non pano and pano roof cars to see the difference.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Sunroof weight