R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Sunroof weight

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 08:14 AM
gobble
3rd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts
Sunroof weight

Does anyone know how much weight the sunroof adds to a MCS?

Old 06-01-2005, 01:06 PM
Seik
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know I heard the exact weight years ago when I was ordering mine. I forgot exactly what it was. It's quite heavy though, I would guess around 70lbs.

Old 06-01-2005, 01:09 PM
mielnicki
6th Gear
I remember reading somewhere 45-50# but I can not confirm.

Steve

Old 06-01-2005, 01:15 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mielnicki
I remember reading somewhere 45-50# but I can not confirm.

Steve

I recall something in that ballpark as well. Didn't matter to me since driving with the roof open in beautiful weather is so great Its even nice when closed, somehow makes me calmer to peek straight up at the clouds/trees/sky when stuck in traffic

Old 06-01-2005, 01:41 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fifty pounds is the number that's always been batted around here, but to the best of my knowledge, no one has ever answered the question of whether that is the actual weight of the sunroof unit, or the increased weight of the sunroof versus the solid roof.

Old 06-01-2005, 01:50 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chrisnl
Fifty pounds is the number that's always been batted around here, but to the best of my knowledge, no one has ever answered the question of whether that is the actual weight of the sunroof unit, or the increased weight of the sunroof versus the solid roof.

True, to get the real 'added' weight you'd have to know the weight of the roof it was replacing and factor that in as well.

Old 06-01-2005, 02:02 PM
tennis_man
3rd Gear
I read that the sunroof weighted 53 pounds.

Old 06-01-2005, 02:05 PM
C4
Banned
Aside from the weight, I wonder if the sunroof actually compromises overall roof strength and integrity?

Not that it really matters...

Old 06-01-2005, 02:17 PM
morknmini
6th Gear
The highest figure I read on NAM for the sunroof was around 70 pounds and lowest was in the 30s. None stated whether that was for the sunroof only or the added weight. I was concerned about getting the sunroof option because of price and maintenance and then thinking of the extra weight (and concomitant increased fuel consumption) made me decide against it. Then I sat in the backseat of a MINI and wondered for the sake of my passengers if the car should have a sunroof. So I got that option (but I'm unsure if I got the premium package). At first the filtered sunlight bothered me, but now I crack open the roof every time I drive my car. It's a delight.

Old 06-01-2005, 02:18 PM
eMINI
5th Gear
Originally Posted by gobble
I think a search will eventuallyu yield a definitive answer. Bottom line: All that glass, transports and motors are really heavy. These numbers are not an exaggeration. For a dedicated track car, it's a serious no-no. For a street car, it's so nice it's a must-have. Unless you're 6'4".

Old 06-01-2005, 02:52 PM
hugh
5th Gear
damn you vw !!!

I learned to live without one the hard way because the sunroof on my 99 Jetta kept on falling apart. The first time was under warranty, the second time was on me, around $100 to replace the plastic channels after they broke apart and rained on me.

I got the sunroof on my MCS as much for resale as for my own enjoyment. I'm an avid news/talk radio and music listener, so the sr is most often closed, but I know down the line it will be a sales advantage.

Does carrying around the extra 70 or so lbs bother me? If I raced or auto-crossed it probably would, but at this point, it's a trade-off for my 70# Golden Retriever who has not yet been permitted into my new ride.

Old 06-01-2005, 03:05 PM
C4
Banned
I am half bald so having the sun rays hitting my scalp day in and day out is a bad idea. I honestly don't miss the sunroof in the MINI. Summers here are brutally hot and humid making any open top motoring a torture activity.

I like my solid roof which proudly wears the Union jack flag. the car is lighter, cooler as the A/C works better and I have one less thing to break or worry about.

My '04 MCS did not have sunroof and I was able to sell it quickly to another Miami resident. For some people, not having a sunroof under the scorching Florida sun is actually a blessing.

Old 06-01-2005, 03:07 PM
mikem53
5th Gear
I did not order the sr. I'm 6'4 and wanted the extra clearance. I also wanted the best handling car with the most rigidity. That extra 70lbs up high is the worst place to have weight.
As far as resale... I saved $800+ buying one without a sr. So when I sell, it will be priced accordingly.... not really a factor... there are plenty of tall folk out there that want to go a bit faster....

My other car has a sr and I never use it... so for me it was best to go without

Old 06-01-2005, 03:21 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by C4
I am half bald so having the sun rays hitting my scalp day in and day out is a bad idea. I honestly don't miss the sunroof in the MINI. Summers here are brutally hot and humid making any open top motoring a torture activity.

I like my solid roof which proudly wears the Union jack flag. the car is lighter, cooler as the A/C works better and I have one less thing to break or worry about.

My '04 MCS did not have sunroof and I was able to sell it quickly to another Miami resident. For some people, not having a sunroof under the scorching Florida sun is actually a blessing.
Ah, but its not all about the daytime, its fantastic at night with the cool air, moon and stars above. To each his own of course but I've loved having a semi convertible in all of my cars.

And for the sun I have these shades on the way from Stratmosphere:

http://www.stratmosphere.com/mini_interior.htm

Easy on easy off for when you want coverage or the sky above :smile:

Old 06-01-2005, 03:25 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by gobble
gobble,
Aloha and welcome to NAM.

The sunroof option adds 64 pounds (net +64! at a place that raises your center of gravity).
see
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=17840
See post #3 (Ryephile has the most accurate number I know of).

For daily driving this doesn't matter but for track or autocross it isn't the first mod I would suggest.

Since MINIs often play multiple roles you'll have to decide if the utility and pleasure value of the sunroof outweigh any competitive edge you may give up.

I'd say, have fun and enjoy your MINI however it makes you feel happy.

Old 06-01-2005, 03:28 PM
C4
Banned
I agree on that a sunroof at night time si pretty cool, specially when looking up tall skyscrappers.

If Miami weren't as hot I would probably have gotten it, but this place right now is too hot and humid to truly enjoy a sunroof or a convertible.

If I ever move to a colder climate, sure why not.

Old 06-01-2005, 03:29 PM
morknmini
6th Gear
^^^Thanks, Minihune. Let's all try to remember this number for the next sunroof weight thread (until the 2007 series debuts).

Old 06-01-2005, 03:32 PM
mmMatt
2nd Gear
We took our sunroof out today preparing for an event. I just weighed the actual assembly and it's almost 55 lbs on the dot.

We replace it with a sheet of carbon fiber great weight savings.

Old 06-01-2005, 03:38 PM
hugh
5th Gear
how many?

Anyone know where to find out statistically if more Minis are sold with or without sunroof? I just called 866-askmini and they did not know.

hs

Old 06-01-2005, 03:43 PM
meanboy
6th Gear
If I was truly interested..(and I am not!) I would just call a wrecking yard and if they have one in stock and if they do ask them for the shipping cost. That will give you a real good idea of how much it really weighs.

edit: true weight is in post #18, the undisputed answer of the world!(I watch too much TV)

Old 06-01-2005, 03:46 PM
C4
Banned
Originally Posted by hugh
Anyone know where to find out statistically if more Minis are sold with or without sunroof? I just called 866-askmini and they did not know.

hs
I suspect the great majority of new MINIs are fitted with the Panorama sunroof. MINIs with no sunroofs (Specially MCS) seem to be pretty rare animals.

Old 06-01-2005, 03:49 PM
meanboy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by C4
I suspect the great majority of new MINIs are fitted with the Panorama sunroof. MINIs with no sunroofs (Specially MCS) seem to be pretty rare animals.
I am surprised to write this but they seem to be 50-50 over here. Lot of MCS' posted for sale in www.craigslist.net do not have sunroofs. So it's not so rare here.

edit: and most seem to be electric blue or chili red

Old 06-01-2005, 03:53 PM
Thameth
5th Gear
Originally Posted by minihune
gobble,
Aloha and welcome to NAM.

The sunroof option adds 64 pounds (net +64! at a place that raises your center of gravity).
see
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=17840
See post #3 (Ryephile has the most accurate number I know of).

Originally Posted by mmMatt
We took our sunroof out today preparing for an event. I just weighed the actual assembly and it's almost 55 lbs on the dot.

Hmm looks like we have some different numbers. But since we don't know how Rye got his numbers and mmMatt just took it out today i would go with the 55lb number. Also you have to remember that when you don't get a sunroof there is some pretty thick steel in its place which i can imagine can be anywhere from 15-20lbs when cut out for the sunroof so i'm thinking the net gain of adding a sunroof is probably only 30-35lbs.

Now the best part is that mmMatt is ahead of the solid roof people because he now has 20lbs less of sheet metal on the roof of the car

Old 06-01-2005, 04:13 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mmMatt

Thank you! :smile: Finally a number actually based on something. Minihune, I don't understand why we should put any more faith in Ryan's 64 lbs figure than anybody else's, since like everyone he just says it and doesn't back it up. Do you know something we don't about how accurate that number is?

Apparently the only way to really tell would be to get two identically spec'd cars, with full gas tanks, one with sunroof and one without, and weigh them. 30 pounds seems like a good estimate, though. Does anyone actually know what 12 square feet of MINI roof weighs?

Old 06-01-2005, 04:17 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It an odd shape, you'll probably get a volume weight instead.

Anyway, I like sunroofs on my street cars even if they do weight some 50lbs.

I like to tilt the sunroof while doing down the expressway (55mph+)
and close the windows. When cruising around town, I usually drive
around with the driver side window open and sunroof in tilt mode.

Originally Posted by meanboy
If I was truly interested..(and I am not!) I would just call a wrecking yard and if they have one in stock and if they do ask them for the shipping cost. That will give you a real good idea of how much it really weighs.

edit: true weight is in post #18, the undisputed answer of the world!(I watch too much TV)

Quick Reply: R50/53 Sunroof weight