R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 SVT Focus vs 2002 MCS

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 01:17 PM
jwardell
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jumping in late here but some general comments. I had a focus, not an SVT, but very familiar with it. The SVT was a great version, had a much nicer interior and powertrain etc. It was also a huge bargain. But I wouldn't say it would beat a MINI in most categories except for price.

Then again they are comparing the topped-out best Focus vs. the Base MCS. Maybe they should do that again with a JCW with JCW suspension and seats.

Also I think some of their results were not accurate. The MINI should have absolutely beat it on most road courses.

Please do not categorize the Focus with other Fords. It has incredible handling and steering feel. It is exactly why I now have a MINI, it was pretty much the only option without stepping down in these categories short of an expensive impractical sports car. The focus was certainly cheapened for the US, and yes I would still say has some cheaper engineering than BMW's in the mini (look at hidden details like door latches, button feel, frame strength, window & lock motors, etc), but by no means were they the typical "ford quality." And of course it was much cheaper so this is all expected.

The focus is a great car, it trounces its real competitors (Neon, Cavalier), and the SVT was the best of the best at hardly any more; a no-brainer.
The MINI is a different category, more upmarket, higher quality, more power, and even more fun.

Old 06-03-2005, 05:06 PM
Thameth
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually the SVT Focus and a MCS would have alot of fun on a road course since the SVT got some handling numbers higher than an MCS. I think skidpad might have been higher and it practically matched it in Slalom.

The MCS had more torque but the SVT had MUCH MUCH MUCH better brakes that you could stand on ALL day at a track and have no problems.

Trust me i've had both cars and extensively autocrossed both of them so i have alot of experience.

Also when comparing the two it really isn't fair to compare it against the JCW MCS. You have to remember that a base MCS is already 1-2k more than a full optioned SVT.

Base Cooper competes against a Base Focus, SVT Focus versus the MCS. a JCW would be higher than the SVT Focus, like if they ever made the Competition Edition.

Also have to remember that an SVT Focus was 17-18k retail and a JCW MCS is around 25-27k, BIG difference.