R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 SVT Focus vs 2002 MCS

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 11:55 AM
Pat_Cooper
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SVT Focus vs 2002 MCS

Comparison Tests

Ford SVT Focus vs. Mini Cooper S
First Place - 2003 Ford SVT Focus
By Kelly Stennick
Date Posted 08-26-2003

Last year we chose the Ford SVT Focus as our favorite sport hatchback, and this year we are pleased to stand behind our first choice. The Mini Cooper S may take the SVT Focus in the cute department, but when push comes to shove, the Focus offers a total package that's hard to beat.

As in our previous comparison test, the SVT Focus wowed us by excelling in numerous categories. It pulled impressive numbers on the track and throughout instrumented testing, plus provided a comfortable, intuitive cabin during real-world driving. And it still boasted a price tag of just $20,255 (including destination).

Our SVT Focus test car carried only minimal optional equipment. It featured the Audiophile package which included an in-dash six-disc CD changer over the standard single CD unit, plus high-intensity discharge lights. The rest of our fun came straight off the SVT Focus' standard equipment list.

The SVT (Special Vehicle Team) version of the Focus is based on the lesser Focus ZX3 hatchback. Compared to the ZX3 model, the SVT Focus gets a Cosworth-developed 2.0-liter, four-cylinder engine; six-speed transmission; sport-tuned suspension; larger brakes; 17-inch wheels and tires; and sporty interior and exterior treatments. In contrast to a regular Focus ZX3 hatchback's engine, the SVT's power plant features stronger connecting rods, lightweight pistons (along with a higher compression ratio) and a freer-flowing cylinder head. The intake camshaft timing is variable, which helps to improve low-end torque, and a dual-stage intake manifold bolsters high-end power. The result is 170 horsepower at 7,000 rpm and 145 pound-feet of torque at 5,500 rpm, with redline set at 7,200 rpm, and a smooth, linear delivery of power that provides plenty of driving excitement at the push of a pedal.

The six-speed manual transmission exhibited easy action once we got used to the feel of the gearbox. One editor noted that the shifter wasn't as positive as he would have liked, with a bit of a rubbery feel, but missed shifts were rare.

Both the Ford and the Mini turned in fine performances on the track, with the Mini having a slight edge in straight acceleration and lap times. Our resident test driver noted that the Focus was very predictable, with a wide power band that made it easy to drive fast. Experienced drivers can coax even a quicker time from the Cooper S, but since most drivers don't qualify as professionals, we're confident that neither car will disappoint.

We readily acknowledge that the sport-tuned suspension is just that, tuned for sport, and therefore we didn't deduct points for the stiff ride over bumps. Pitting the SVT Focus' ride quality against the Cooper S' ride that we've always admitted was a bit harsh, we used the very technical, highly scientific ponytail test to determine which ride would be most easily tolerated during everyday driving. The ponytail test is built around one small, ponytail-wearing three-year-old strapped into her rear-seat-anchored safety chair. As test driver and young co-pilot navigate a predetermined route of freeway and surface street mileage, the test driver looks in the rearview mirror, gauging how high the little blonde ponytails bounce over each bump. While both the Ford and Mini sent the little locks a-jumping, the toddler's head appeared to be less bobblelike while riding in the Focus.

For the most part, we found the Focus' steering to be sharp and crisp with good feedback and weighting. After comparing notes, though, two editors found that they had experienced the same loss of power assist when the car was stopped and the wheel was turned sharply. Both times this happened during tight parking situations.

When a car is built for driving excitement, as the SVT Focus is, stopping power is as important, if not more so, than acceleration prowess. The Focus didn't disappoint. With larger brakes than the ZX3 (and rear discs in place of the base hatchback's drums), the SVT version was able to reach a complete halt in just 115 feet during a 60-to-0-mph brake test.

While racing over hill and dale, we forced ourselves to slow down and put aside the driving performance of the SVT Focus in order to consider the interior as well. Although opinions about the unique design of the asymmetrical dash differ vastly from editor to editor, all seemed to conclude that the white-faced gauges were attractive and easy to read. Same for the climate control operation — three big, easy-to-reach and -operate dials received high marks for their self-evident simplicity.

The audio system, much like the rest of the Focus' interior features, was logically placed and intuitive with large preset buttons and dial volume control. The only drawback is that there's no tuning ****, rather just a seek button. After punching the button numerous times to travel quickly from one end of the radio dial to the other, we realized just how convenient it is to have a simple **** to spin.

Resting our bums in the front seats was a pleasurable experience. We appreciated the firm, well-shaped seats with good bolstering and adjustable lumbar, with our only complaint being the hard-to-reach twist-**** for seat back recline. Rear-seat occupants were nearly as lucky, since the Focus is more spacious than many small hatchbacks, with about six and a half inches more legroom than the Cooper S, as well as generous padding and under thigh support. Two rear passengers also had ample hiproom, even with a bulky child seat installed between them (we did have to remove and stow the middle headrest in order to anchor the child seat flush against the rear seat back).

During our outing to the high-desert raceway for performance testing, we loaded a large ice chest, two beach chairs and plenty of unhealthy snack items, which the Focus' deep, rear cargo area swallowed up eagerly. We used the sturdy cargo cover to hide our wares from our fellow editors until we decided we were ready to share. The rear hatch door was easy to slam shut, but could only be opened using the key fob or a dash-mounted button since there was no release handle on the hatch itself, even if the car was already unlocked.

While the main cargo area was vast, Ford had obviously decided against adding many storage compartments in the interior. With no center console, one must resort to the glovebox, door bins or a small drawer at the bottom of the center stack in which to hide items such as cell phones, garage door openers and extra tubes of toddler-bribing Mini M&Ms. Cupholders, two in the front and two in the rear are small, and the front holders would not accommodate a tallish bottle due to interference from the bottom of the dash.

So you want an inexpensive, fun-to-drive passenger and cargo-carrying vehicle? For a second year in a row, we heartily recommend the SVT Focus. While we enjoyed our time in the Cooper S immensely, its lack of cargo capacity and bumpy ride would be a challenge during routine jaunts about town. The SVT Focus, with its dynamic handling characteristics and roomy interior, should make your everyday commute and aggressive driving outings a real pleasure.

Second Opinions:

Editor in Chief Karl Brauer says:
It's not uncommon to see yesterday's benchmark performance car transformed into today's "has-been wannabe." Time waits for no man, or machine, especially in the world of cutting-edge high performance. It is for this reason that the SVT Focus' excellent showing during this comparison test is all the more impressive. Last year it soundly trounced the Honda Civic Si and Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S, and this year it once again proved fully capable when confronted by the current "it car" that everyone seems to love: BMW's Mini Cooper S.

The Focus' advantage comes not from superior performance, but from a total package that provides enthusiast fun on the weekends and real-world driving pleasure for the daily grind. The suspension soaks up public road craters with ease while not feeling floppy on the smooth tarmac of the Streets of Willow racetrack. The engine's wide power band and refined nature combines with a fluid six-speed shifter to make hot lapping or canyon carving a thrill, and the interior dimensions translate into realistic accommodations for four full-size adults. Even the dashboard is more functional. The white-faced instruments feature a speedo properly located in front of the driver and an oil pressure and oil temperature gauge (we don't know of another sub-$20,000 car that offers this level or performance-oriented instrumentation).

I'd like just a bit more front legroom, and I'm fully aware of the Focus' excessive recall history. However, I'll put up with a few trips to the dealer for some minor updates if every moment spent behind the wheel is a pure delight (with no unwanted side effects due to its performance-car nature). This Ford continues to be an amazing smile-per-mile bargain.

Road Test Editor John DiPietro says:
Many things about the Focus SVT make it very likable. It's got a great chassis that provides nimble, communicative handling along with a supple ride that won't have you thinking you had to make a compromise for entertainment while unraveling a winding road. Comfortable seats, simple controls and room in back for two adults round out the SVT's endearing qualities. I was rather ambivalent about the powertrain; although a smooth operator, the hopped-up 2.0-liter four left me wanting a bit more; it just didn't feel as eager as I expected. Part of that sensation was probably due to the "heavy flywheel" effect — it seemed that the engine didn't spin up or down as quickly as that in the Mini.

Since the Focus' debut, I've warmed up to the exterior styling (of the three-door) and the SVT tweaks (such as the aggressive front fascia and 17-inch wheels) make it plain that this isn't just a commuter's Focus. The interior is a mixed bag; excellent seats and instruments but a hideous dash. All things considered, the SVT makes more sense than the Mini; it provides nearly identical handling prowess along with a better ride and more room for those assigned to the rear seats. But I'll admit I'm not always the most sensible guy, so I still have to go with the Mini for its supercharged fun factor

Old 06-01-2005, 12:01 PM
C4
Banned
I read that comparo in Edmunds.com for a couple of years ago. I find some of their conclusions laughable, but this is not to say that the late Focus SVT was not a decent hot hatch. In fact both the MCS and Focus SVT used the same exact Getrag transmission.

2 years after this article was written, the Ford Focus SVT is now dead and the MCS continues to sell like hotcakes. The Edmunds "editor" missed the point of the MCS entirely IMO.

May be poster "Thameth" who used to own a Focus SVT and now has owned 2 MCS ('04 and now a '05) can give us his perspective between the 2 cars.

Old 06-01-2005, 12:02 PM
C4
Banned
Also the test was done with a 163HP 2003 MCS. I wonder how the result would have been with a stock '05 168HP MCS with the revised gears.

Old 06-01-2005, 12:31 PM
Ozbone
3rd Gear
All the numbers are interesting and all ... but the thing that most of these so-called "comparisons" always leave out is "which one do you want to live with for the next 1 ...2 ...3 years". So what's it gonna be? A Ford or a BMW ? Duh!
And how about cost of ownership; wanna pay your local Ford store for all the crappy plastic that breaks or ..worse? Don't forget re-sale value either. The MINI is absolutely unbeatable when you consider the Complete Package.

Old 06-01-2005, 12:55 PM
npartist
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not trying to kill a happy thread here but I wouldn't say a that the focus has worse "crappy plastic" than the mini. Ford quality is definetly equal if not better than mini. And another point. The MINI is NOT a BMW (this can be argued forever but the MINI has some mechanical parts from the 3-series and bmw electronics but the plastics and engine and stuff are not up to BMW par). I love my MINI but I don't like seeing false info, especially if it is bashing a company.

Old 06-01-2005, 01:05 PM
C4
Banned
After experiencing Ford "quality" first hand I can tell you that the great majority of Ford products are nothing but junk and their service centers are mostly unable and incompetent at fixing these dubious products.

I hate Fords with a passion and as much as I think the new Mustang is a truly attractive car, or at least well conceived for a Ford, sooner or later those cars will fall victim to Ford's cost cutting and blatant lack of quality control. Nothing made by Ford inspires much confidence on me.

Old 06-01-2005, 01:09 PM
MyPocketRocket
6th Gear
I can only find one part from BMW on my MINI...brake calipers!

Old 06-01-2005, 01:12 PM
npartist
4th Gear
check out the oil dipstick and the little stickers on the radiator cover. There are lots of little BMW marks on some of the more hard to see parts (like radio part numbers and DSC stuff.

Old 06-01-2005, 01:14 PM
resmini
6th Gear
Before I bought my 03 MC I drove a new 03 SVT Focus. Had a six-speed and drove and handled well. I'd say the build quality was at least as good as that of the MINI.

Didn't buy it because the MINI looked so much better.
It's 250 miles one-way to the nearest MINI dealer, but it's worth it.

They stopped making the Focus SVT by the way.

One more thing, the mear mention of a discount dropped the SVT price over $4,000. Took me a while to get $350 off my MINI.

The Focus was a nice car but I couldn't live with the styling.

Old 06-01-2005, 01:45 PM
88m
2nd Gear
my best friend has a svt focus and i would have to say that the review is right on, i love to drive it every chance i get and we like to trade cars all the time. ford killing it is the worst thing they could of done.

Old 06-01-2005, 01:48 PM
C4
Banned
Originally Posted by 88m
my best friend has a svt focus and i would have to say that the review is right on, i love to drive it every chance i get and we like to trade cars all the time. ford killing it is the worst thing they could of done.
Ford is known to kill their most competent cars when they finally get them right. That is a GM malady too.

Ford's reason to kill the Focus SVT was because the Focus "Was not upscale enough to be a performance car".

Chew up that one.

Ford should admi instead that they never promoted the car and that the Focus' spotty reliability/recall history played a part in its dismise.

Old 06-01-2005, 05:58 PM
Thameth
5th Gear
I had an 2002 SVT Focus it was the 130th made. You have to remember that the Focus is not typical Ford crap.. err well it wasn't. The Ford Focus was designed by Ford of Europe which is VERY competent in making VERY good cars. The Ford Focus to this date in Europe is one of the most reliable and highest top selling cars there.

Problem was that Ford of America thought it was TOO upscale for the American market and they needed it to compete with the smaller cheaper cars like corrolla's, civic's, and even Kia's. So Ford US's plan was to decontent the car to make it profitable. In the process they basically took away all its reliablility.

My 2002 SVT was great, i loved that car and to this day still miss it. Especially since i'm still a VERY active Admin over at Focaljet.com which is the #1 Ford Focus Website there is.

Sadly the first two years of SVT Focus Production had alot of small issue's with the dual stage intake system and smaller other things. So my car basically spent 120+ days in service in the first 18 months. Ford offered to buy the car back and i accepted. I was orginally just going to take a 2004 SVT in exchange (would have been Comp Orange! ) but they wanted me to pay $3k in mileage on my 02 so i told them i want all my money back and the next day i ordered my 2004 MCS.

They are both great cars and i now love my MINI. You have to remember also the MINI is a pretty Expen$ive little car for what you get and the SVT Focus could be bought for under $20k when it was released. Ford made a large amount of mistakes when it came to the SVT Focus and thats why it's no longer produced, not because it was a bad vehicle because its not. Its a great car and alot of people were sad to see it go. But with ford NOT willing to keep up in the HP race thats on in the Sport Compact Market right now it was just time the SVTF would die.

If anybody has questions i can give more info later as i can go on with this subject forever since i've been an Admin at Focaljet for nearly 5 years now! Lets just say we had alot to do with some major decisions on the SVT Focus while it was being designed

Old 06-01-2005, 08:31 PM
bambam
3rd Gear
The way I see it is the Focus costs less but the resale is a joke when compared to the Mini which makes the Mini a better buy in the long run. The Focus also comes with the typical cheap Ford interior. The Mini does have plastic but the quality and feel is without a doubt much better then the Focus. The exterior is a matter of opinion.

I really hope that the big 3 will catch on to what Mini has done and come up with some cool cars without the cheap American interior. If not, thats ok, we still have our Mini's

Old 06-01-2005, 08:41 PM
Thameth
5th Gear
Originally Posted by bambam
The way I see it is the Focus costs less but the resale is a joke when compared to the Mini which makes the Mini a better buy in the long run. The Focus also comes with the typical cheap Ford interior. The Mini does have plastic but the quality and feel is without a doubt much better then the Focus. The exterior is a matter of opinion.

I really hope that the big 3 will catch on to what Mini has done and come up with some cool cars without the cheap American interior. If not, thats ok, we still have our Mini's
Sorry but the 00-02 Focus interior is years beyond the typical Ford interior quality wise. And the SVT Focus interior is just as nice as the MINI's. Like i said, the current focus has no gone through 4 years of FOA decontenting so the 05's seem like your in a cheap Civic.

I'm no Ford lover unless its its FOE but i like to defend something when its worth it.

It is true that resale is nothing compared to the MINI but you have to remember that the MINI isn't exactly "normal". But you have to remember that the European Focus has one of the best resale value's in Europe for a Compact car. So again blame FOA.

Old 06-02-2005, 12:21 AM
JCW Driver
6th Gear
FOE needs to convince The americans to let them sell this here. A Focus I'd buy. The Focus ST. Not the crappy imitation car they sell here.

a link to many, many pics....

http://cartype.com/page.cfm?id=766

Old 06-02-2005, 08:12 AM
Thameth
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JCW Driver
FOE needs to convince The americans to let them sell this here. A Focus I'd buy. The Focus ST. Not the crappy imitation car they sell here.

a link to many, many pics....

http://cartype.com/page.cfm?id=766

The focus crowd tried starting a petition or an interest group for bringing the ST over to eventually send to Ford by the Focaljet Administrators but there wasn't enough interest to even send the thread to our connections at Ford.....

Everybody was scared that there was no way Ford could bring the car over for less than $23-$25k

Old 06-02-2005, 08:17 AM
C4
Banned
Not bad looking at all. Reminds me of the Fiat Stylo.

Old 06-02-2005, 08:58 AM
Pat_Cooper
4th Gear
Only focus id like to own would be the RS AWD.

Old 06-02-2005, 10:22 AM
Thameth
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Pat_Cooper
Only focus id like to own would be the RS AWD.
An AWD version doesn't exist, the RS that was sold in Europe is a turbo front wheel drive with LSD.

Old 06-02-2005, 12:39 PM
C4
Banned
Originally Posted by Thameth
An AWD version doesn't exist, the RS that was sold in Europe is a turbo front wheel drive with LSD.
Is the Cosworth version still sold in the UK? Or that was a Ford Escort thing?

Old 06-02-2005, 03:40 PM
Thameth
5th Gear
Originally Posted by C4
Is the Cosworth version still sold in the UK? Or that was a Ford Escort thing?
Cosworth made an AWD escort which to this day is one hell of a car. Cosworth also made a blue concept Focus which sadly never saw the light of day for production....

So a Cosworth production Focus also doesn't exist.

Old 06-02-2005, 05:12 PM
bambam
3rd Gear
I still say its cheap inside.

Old 06-02-2005, 05:14 PM
JCW Driver
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bambam
I still say its cheap inside.
picky picky!

Old 06-02-2005, 06:00 PM
Ozbone
3rd Gear
So I'm "bashing" Ford?? Doubtful. After all I've spent my share of time in a variety of cars from each company.
Their respective philosophies for designing, engineering and building cars could NOT be more different - and their products reflect those differences. Sure, there are similarities, but it was the same company that designs and engineers BMWs that did that work on the MINI. FOE certainly does some things differently from Ford USA, but it sure has more in common with them than anything else.

Old 06-02-2005, 06:18 PM
Thameth
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Ozbone
So I'm "bashing" Ford?? Doubtful. After all I've spent my share of time in a variety of cars from each company.
Their respective philosophies for designing, engineering and building cars could NOT be more different - and their products reflect those differences. Sure, there are similarities, but it was the same company that designs and engineers BMWs that did that work on the MINI. FOE certainly does some things differently from Ford USA, but it sure has more in common with them than anything else.
Sorry but you must not have any experience with anything from FOE. Its almost like a completely different company thats lightyears ahead of FOA.

Stereotypes are a ***** i guess.

Quick Reply: R50/53 SVT Focus vs 2002 MCS