R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 MC40 Registry

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 04:48 PM
GMINIO
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it means these plaques are being stolen. it's easy enough to do it. i walked off with #1's and put it back. so. if your mini's got red leather seats, a carbon fibre dash, stickers on the hind quarters and bonnet, and a gb badge on the boot - i'd say you're def in an mc40. i'm just interested that you are made to be satisfied by the dealer that sold you an incomplete car.

Old 02-26-2006, 05:18 PM
oliverm
3rd Gear
I respect your opinion, so I am going to ask, what would you do in my place, what would it take for you to be satisfied? I don't know if its okay to mention the dealer, but it is a big dealer, that also represents 9 other car companies such as Chevrolet, VW and Cadillac. I was thinking of trying to talk to the general manager, but I don't know of my chances to getting through.
Anxious to hear what you have to say and I don't know how long I have to dispute this. I just got the car last night, but signed the papers on the 19th of Feb.

Old 02-26-2006, 05:45 PM
GMINIO
5th Gear
take your time. Ask for what would help YOU feel satisfied with your purchase from them.

I would ask for the plaque and the meatballs. Short of that I would ask for something i felt was worth those two parts of the commemorative package, their significance to the whole of the car, and the trouble their omission has already caused me. I would pick something that has one monetary value to me, and another, lower monetary value to them. I would ask for $x worth of MINI merchandise and parts. I'd be sorely upset that the commemorative plaque (with the number of the car in edition and the signature of Paddy Hopkirk) were missing. x would be up there. especially as the plaque is most likely not replaceable. (have you checked the glovebox???). Since I paid the commemorative price and have no authenticating plaque, I'd petition for an x close to $750 in retail value. This is the least I would accept in order to make my MC40 more acceptable to me, and to consider myself satisfied with said dealership.

Whatever you do, be very clear with them. I would email after an initial phone contact. I would start with my sales person - Then a formal letter with my request to the general manager.

i wish i had better experience to draw upon, or membership in the illinois(?) bar association.

cheers
john

Old 02-26-2006, 06:01 PM
oliverm
3rd Gear
That helps. Yes I did check the glove compartment. Well, the car really has lost its luster because of those pieces. I have always bought cars that were correct. Now what is this car worth without these major pieces? How can I sell this car in the future, when the plaque is what makes this car commemorative?
John, what do you think this car is worth now with 12K miles?
Would I be asking too much to be able to get another MC40 that is correct or at least a MCS?
Oliver

Old 02-26-2006, 06:30 PM
GMINIO
5th Gear
nope. I was assuming you were just short of being happy with your car. If it is unacceptable it's uunacceptable. You paid for an MC40 - they should by all means deliver one. I would take a MCS of equal value in a heartbeat. Especially with an option to trade in on a JCW GP come July.

Old 02-26-2006, 06:36 PM
oliverm
3rd Gear
Stay tuned. I am not overly hopeful, but will wait and see.
What is GP?
Thanks John for your generous help.
Oliver

Old 02-26-2006, 07:04 PM
GMINIO
5th Gear
the GP is a special edition MCS of 2,000 worldwide. check this out :

http://motoringfile.com/2006/02/21/t...-final-photos/

and

http://motoringfile.com/2006/02/22/j...video-footage/

glad to be of help to you.

Old 02-27-2006, 02:58 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by oliverm
John, what do you think this car is worth now with 12K miles?
Would I be asking too much to be able to get another MC40 that is correct or at least a MCS?
Oliver
Take a deep breath here. Your sticker is correct. It shows white mirror caps but the chrome ones are listed under the option.

The numbers are useless ... nobody is their right mind are going to drive around with those on anyway ... they can fly off and scratch the paint ...

The placque is different. Its not like Paddy Hopkirks is going to sign another one (or whatever). They key question here is why do you own this particular car.
  1. If its just a car with the mc40 option listed to you, then its just another car. What does the placque mean? Nada. The metal placque and $1.25 gets you a coke.
  2. If you intend to KEEP it for a long time, thats a different story. You would want LOW mileage and every piece of documentation in which case, your out of luck.
IMO, I would INSIST that the dealer supply the correct commerative parts. If they dont, then they did NOT sell you what you thought you were getting. I would make a LOT of noise about it. $750 isnt going to replace that documentation.

This might also not Jive with Gminio's thoughts, sorry about that, but if you read closely the GP threads, you can pretty much expect that care to be selling at discount about Jan, 07 because they are a huge disappointment to many. 8 additional HP dont mean much of anything.

Bottom line ... if you like the car, just enjoy it ... If your bothered, put up a stink ... go RIGHT up the chain ... general manager ... OWNER or the dealer ... let them know they have on disgruntled customer on their hands as they sold something that was NOT as advertised (isnt that False Advertising?).

KBB value for private sale for that care with comparable options in good condition is about $22.5K.

Old 02-27-2006, 03:50 PM
oliverm
3rd Gear
Well, I lucked out. They found the plaque in their safe. Apparently someone was wise enought to figure, its just too easy to walk away with it.
I was going to raise a stink with the general manager, but I was not hopeful, and I was definitly going to let people know that they really must know their stuff before they purchase sight unseen. The sales rep didn't know very much about minis and so the plaque thing was foreign to him since his concentration was BMW. He asked what did I want him to do, so I said straight out "a MCS of equal value or an option to trade in on a JCW GP come July. He said that was not possible. Well anyway the only thing I need is an original magnet door panel, but its not all that important at his point.
Thanks, chows4us and John. Now you've got me thinking about the JCW GP, oh well later for that for now.

Old 02-27-2006, 03:52 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Alls Well that Ends Well

Old 02-27-2006, 04:31 PM
Escape Pod
3rd Gear
We have a friend who has an abused MC40 that's stripped of all decals. He doesn't take care of his MINI and is very hard on it. He doesn't like to go on runs and the poor car just sits there and does't get out much. Very sad. My husband ask him if he could take it out on a run this past Sunday so we could both drive MINIs. I could not believe he let us take it. Who let's someone BORROW their MINI??? The tires were very low on pressure and there was about a quart of oil left in it. We fixed him up and I think he enjoyed himself! So, while I won't say who OWNS this abused MC40, I will say this MINI is located some where....... in...... San Jose, Ca! Oh, did I say that?

Old 02-27-2006, 05:37 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Escape Pod
will say this MINI is located some where....... in...... San Jose, Ca! Oh, did I say that?
#175?

Old 02-27-2006, 07:46 PM
GMINIO
5th Gear
oliver, i'm real glad to see you've worked your way to a resolution and are doing so with a beautiful MC40 still in your possession!

how sad to hear, mr. pod, that there is an abused mc40 out there.

Old 04-16-2006, 07:04 AM
GMINIO
5th Gear
MC40 #995 is totalled. Caught a tree and rolled. Lone driver unharmed.

Che is Dead. Long Live Che.
more info/pics

Old 04-16-2006, 09:19 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
GMINI, so sorry to hear this. Hope you werent hurt because that looks bad!

Old 05-01-2006, 05:58 PM
GMINIO
5th Gear
nope. sore back is all. pw/b cooper is my new mini.

Old 05-02-2006, 05:05 AM
KC MCS
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mini d
Paddy.....

Alta 15% pulley, Alta SS, JCW intake, JCW carbon hood scoop, JCW carbon boot handle, Dinan strut bar, Racing Dynamics rear carbon strut brace, Craftsquare carbon mirrors, Milltek header and cat back, H-sport sways f&r, H-sport camber arms, RDR camber plates, Bilstein PSS9's, Brembo BBK, M7 OCC, carbon interior work, Sparcos f&r! and 15K miles!
Ok, where are your stock seats (the red/black combo leather)? I'd love to get my hands on a set of those for my CR/B!

Old 05-02-2006, 11:02 AM
mini_muscle
1st Gear
Lucky...all of you, so lucky!

I can't tell all of you how lucky you are.

I'm only 17, and unable to buy a MINI yet, but the MC40 is just calling my name like nothing else.

I've watched them come and go on ebay and it hurts me every time I see one sell and not end up in my driveway.

Congrats to everyone that got their hands on them, one day hopefully I'll be with you!

Old 05-25-2006, 07:30 PM
Newdl
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was one of those on ebay. I am sure you have seen Prestiege Mini in NJ post MC40's before. That is where I got "E" If you get the chance, atleast go drive and MCS and see what it is like, It will make you go get a 2nd and then 3rd job to be able to afford it

Good Luck, and if you are in the Ohio area I will gladly let you see mine and if u know stick you can drive her!

Old 07-15-2006, 01:01 PM
dazite
2nd Gear
Not to bring an old thread back alive but I now am the proud owner of #359.

Old 07-15-2006, 06:13 PM
GMINIO
5th Gear
congrats, dazdite! Treat her well and look out for crossing sycamores!

Old 07-15-2006, 10:22 PM
CynMini
6th Gear
It breaks my heart...

to see such a special car totaled. I know how you feel, it's happened to me twice. I had a really nice '89 Honda Civic Si Hatchback. White with white American Racing rims and a full Jackson Racing suspension kit with Tokico Illumina adjustable shocks. I was driving to fast down the 405, when I came to the 101 interchange I was going way to fast. I pitched it sideways, hit the bank, straightened out, through a call box at the top and flew up onto the 101. The flight was ok but the landing really sucked. It folded the unibody up and folded every panel on the car, completely smashed the front end, broke the wheels and windshield. I miss that car everyday and if it wasn't for that I would still have it as a second car. It's the most stupid thing I have ever done. Before that I had a mint '77 Datsun 280Z, and it was the 2 seater S30 model and not the ugly 4 seater. It was a really rich dark metallic brown. I put on a set of gold American Racing rims and a full Suspension Technique kit with adjustable Konis. I lived at the end of Tapo Canyon Road and I was coming down the canyon one night on my way to the gym. At Walnut Street there is a 2 way stop sign where cross traffic has to stop. Some kid stopped at the stop sign and pulled right out in front of me. I t-boned him at 50 MPH and that was the end of my 280Z.. My mother gave me that car when she passed away and it broke my heart to lose it. I'm glad your ok and I hope you'll be able to get another Mini.

Old 07-16-2006, 08:48 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
edited

Old 07-16-2006, 10:14 AM
CynMini
6th Gear
I apologize....

I forgot about that rule. But you making a big deal about it isn't going to help the situation. I could understand if I had a history of breaking the rules, as far as I know this is the first time. I'm surprised you didn't call the local police on me!

Old 07-16-2006, 10:19 AM
MiniMaxx
5th Gear
Originally Posted by CynMini
I forgot about that rule. But you making a big deal about it isn't going to help the situation. I could understand if I had a history of breaking the rules, as far as I know this is the first time. I'm surprised you didn't call the local police on me!
You're (edit) kind of wrong; just take it like a (Wo)man.:impatient

edit: well, maybe the edit fixed it; sorry.

Quick Reply: R50/53 MC40 Registry