R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Word to the wise about your new MINI

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 09:58 AM
The Short Bus
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i HAVE to give input on THIS one

1. Boyfriend had an ALMOST year old $25k SE Miata when we met. First thing he pointed out was how much he took care of it. To this day, almost three years later, he gets my door, and grabs my things. Maybe he's hesitant i MAY hurt something. But i learned from the very beginning to be extra careful... i couldn't afford that expensive of a car.

2. He taught me how to drive manual, work on cars, helped me with MY cars, showed me the prices and what to expect to pay, taught me how to properly clean and care for the car. After months, i learned more about how much work/money is put into cars. HIS car especially.

3. I ended up buying my OWN miata, and took alot of care with it, and spent hours and hours maintaining it. So we respected each OTHERs cars then.

4. I care VERY MUCH for my car. I make sure everyone knows that, and let them know i'm NOT fitting the bill if they mess something up. I probably would break down and pay if it happened, but it really makes them think "do i want to take the risk? can i afford to fix anything i break?"

5. Agreed you should have met a female car enthusiast There are some out there. Just gotta look REALLY hard.

6. Kalaeria, love you to death, but not EVERY girl is as GIRLY as your woman is. Although, i'd have to hurt you if you messed up my superstars. And i dont carry a purse. Whew. I really love my car(s) alot. I'm not saying i'd put it first over an s/o... but i'd hope they know to take as good of care of it as i do.

Mistakes happen... but dont EVER say stupid stuff like "I love her to death which by the way she was closer to today than she will ever know. "

Why are you married again? Ok, the car is 5 days old. Would you feel different if it was 5 years old? SHE WAS OK WITH YOU COMING HOME WITH A NEW CAR!!! Cut her some slack!

Old 07-28-2005, 10:21 AM
MandaBoo
6th Gear
To the original poster, I feel that you were just venting, as you said, and said some things that you don't really mean. I hope that you used this forum as an outlet to convey your frustrations and immediate anger and therefore spared your wife your anger with the situation. It is understandable to be frustrated by this, but sh*t happens and you'll get over it. Just remember that a windsheild can be easily replaced, it's not like she was talking on her cell phone or something silly that you shouldn't be doing and got into a wreck and really hurt the car or herself.

For the other posters that are making some very broad generalizations about women, I am appalled. If you are with people that so disrespect your belongings, then I would have to say that the relationship in general likely has a high level of disrespect and perhaps you both need to do some soul searching to discover what you want out of life and your relationships. None of the things that have been stated are done only by women, they are done by people in general.

Old 07-28-2005, 10:25 AM
docross47
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yup!

Originally Posted by chows4us
What he said ...

You wrote: "Today my wife wanted to take MY new car out for a spin and run some errands. I say MY car because she will never again be allowed to drive it unsupervised."

Do you think maybe your putting some material thing above your wife? Not cool. Its just a piece of glass ...

I might add that a few years back my wife scraped the curb with some expensive tires doing sidewall damage to them, that I used to autocross on my Porsche. Yeah, I wasn't happy, it cost a lot of money to replace those tires (and they were new) but to stop her from driving the Porsche? No way, I made it her daily driver because she is far more important than some hunks of rubber. ... Do the right thing dude ...
Priorities, we all have them--although they might be different--and as a DI, you should know how important motivation and self worth can be in helping people perform to their best ability. My first priority is to ensure the safety and happiness of my family, and I suspect that you have something similar on your list somewhere close to the top. Next time, take a cool off period, and then address the situation. I agree with chows4us, encourage your wife to take the car again and show her you trust in her abilities (even if you don't), because that is what she needs.

Congrats on the new car, it will be go as new when the WS is repaired, and that is the crux of the issue--you cannot replace your wife or her self esteem so easily...

Old 07-28-2005, 11:15 AM
kaelaria
6th Gear
Somehow I knew my comments would draw out every woman on NAM LOL

Hey - I never said EVERY woman, and any of you on here are CERTAINLY the exceptions when it comes to care of and respect for cars - and you darn well know it! I'm sure you ALL have some GFs that are 'typically girly' that would certainly treat a car differently than you do - right? Ok then - that's all I'm saying.

Old 07-28-2005, 11:40 AM
mini_gt
1st Gear
Ah hello!!! Women are the most cautious drivers out there. Who do you see speed racing on the streets and make the most stupid accidents trying to impress women, it's men! Women have the most respect for expensive property. Excuse me but men are usually the ones who brake things and are careless about things in the house, which can be just as expensive as the car!

It might upset you that your windshield is broken but it's not even your wife's fault, people have no control over a rock hitting their windshields, crap happens. I certainly wouldn't let it ruin your marriage for God's sake. Be a real man, please!!!!

Old 07-28-2005, 12:03 PM
kaelaria
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mini_gt
Ah hello!!! Women are the most cautious drivers out there.
Oh man - thanks for that - I needed it!!!

Old 07-28-2005, 12:14 PM
MandaBoo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mini_gt
Ah hello!!! Women are the most cautious drivers out there. Who do you see speed racing on the streets and make the most stupid accidents trying to impress women, it's men!
Let's just say that there are people of both genders that drive like crazy and that drive cautiously. I see so many people, largely women, in minivans that are paying NO attention to the road, but are turned around yelling at their misbehaved kids to shut up while they are barrelling down the interstate at 90mph Even the cops in our suburban area tend to pull over mostly semis, trucks and minivans anymore while just waving at us in the MINI or EVO. They know who the dangerous ones are.

Old 07-28-2005, 12:46 PM
VerucaSalt
Coordinator :: Mid-Atlantic
Originally Posted by kaelaria
I'm sure you ALL have some GFs that are 'typically girly' that would certainly treat a car differently than you do - right? Ok then - that's all I'm saying.
I've also had male friends that I've yelled at for putting something on the top of my car (as in not on the sunroof) or leaning on the car in some unnecessary fashion.

That kind of disrespect is not reserved for women in the least.

Old 07-28-2005, 12:50 PM
MINI Steve
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MissAlternateUniverse
To the author of this thread...don't blame your wife, dude. Accidents happen. I know just as many men that have damaged their cars as women. Just be glad that she is safe. Windshields are replaceable, but the love of your life is not.
...nuff said

Old 07-28-2005, 01:04 PM
62Lincoln
5th Gear
Another great thread on NAM!

Old 07-28-2005, 01:18 PM
MINISPIDER
4th Gear
Your Mini is your #1....your wife #3

Old 07-28-2005, 01:47 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
My ex once tried to move my motorcycle that was parked in the garage. I come home to find the bike laying on it's side and I got blamed for parking it in the wrong place

Anyway...here's my word of caution: BEWARE OF PPG GLASS with foreheads!...

I noticed this on one of our member's replacement PPG glass and when we looked at other's with PPG, sure enough...same forehead The glass company agreed that this wasn't right and got another PPG glass and it was the same. They finally went to the dealership to procure a OEM glass. You've been warned:smile:

Old 07-28-2005, 02:42 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by MissAlternateUniverse
If my boyfriend ever said these kind of things about me, he'd be getting one of my designer shoes right up his tailpipe
Hell yeah! AND he'd be aimed toward the door at the point the kick was administered...

Kaelaria... I'm sorry you perceive your girlfriend as so irresponsible. Perhaps if you had a nice civil conversation, treating her as the intelligent being I'm sure she is, and dropping the sexist rhetoric that makes YOU look like a dumba$$, you could resolve the situation amicably. I doubt that highlighting some of the silly things she's done on an internet forum will really change anything.

Although, if you were MY boyfriend and I happened to read your post, you'd be sleeping in the gutter and gathering all your precious "stuff" from the neighbors' lawns...

Old 07-28-2005, 02:56 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
This thread is great:smile: I'm starting to figure out who's a "she" and who's "he"

I had no idea Omtoast and Shortbus were women:smile:

Old 07-28-2005, 02:57 PM
pcnorton
5th Gear
Never lend something to someon that doesn't hold it in the same light as yourself. My wife doesn't hold the same value systems when it comes to knives, watches, auto's, motorcycles. I don't appreciate rings,bracelets or shoes. If you do lend it, you're at fault and should bite the bullet. Doesn't mean you shouldn't let them know how you feel, but you can't hold on to it. You let them take the item.

For all you people zinging the sexist comment about, what percentage of auto ethusiast are men and women? Why did volvo go to a woman marketing study to design a new car? If you think there is no sexual difference between the way we look at our cars you are mistaken. Stereotypes don't come from observin a extremely small sample and extrapolating they come from general observations. They come from broad observations of general public behavior.

You people would have a stroke over the Triumph TR6 marketing tri fold. In it I paraphrase 'Men love it because its so ________ (can't remember), women love it because its such a man's car'.

Women auto enthusiasts are the exception not the rule. Unless someone can show me otherwise.

Paul

Old 07-28-2005, 02:59 PM
G8RMNI
2nd Gear
What's the difference between Safe-T glass and the "Cooper" windshield you are requesting? Wouldn't Safe-T glass be better? Educate me!!!

Old 07-28-2005, 03:02 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
This thread is great:smile: I'm starting to figure out who's a "she" and who's "he"

That is my favorite thing about this forum -- having to completely reinvent the mental image I have of someone because I've improperly assigned their gender!

Old 07-28-2005, 03:03 PM
kaelaria
6th Gear

Same here! ROTF!

Old 07-28-2005, 03:12 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
YEAH, DIDN'T KNOW THAT WE HAD THIS MANY LADY MEMBERS. THINGS ARE GETTING EXCITING THOUGH, THATS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT....

Old 07-28-2005, 03:12 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pcnorton
For all you people zinging the sexist comment about, what percentage of auto ethusiast are men and women?
What does being an enthusiast have to do with it? I've known both male and female friends who certainly could not be reagarded as enthusiasts but take good care of their cars (and just the opposite too: gearheads and racers who don't take care of superficial things about their cars at all).

Bigoted remarks and generalizations about behavior and the nature of individuals is what offends people, in this case it is about woman (as is on most car forums). If similar generalities and stereotypical remarks were made based on race it would not be tolerated.

Old 07-28-2005, 03:18 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Anyway...here's my word of caution: BEWARE OF PPG GLASS with foreheads!...

I noticed this on one of our member's replacement PPG glass and when we looked at other's with PPG, sure enough...same forehead The glass company agreed that this wasn't right and got another PPG glass and it was the same. They finally went to the dealership to procure a OEM glass. You've been warned:smile:
My PPG windshield doesn't have that uh... feature. Or it does, but it's about 10% as dramatic as your photo. I don't even think it would show up in a photo, or else I'd take one. I certainly never would have noticed it until I saw a thread about it here and went out to my car to scrutinize that area from every angle.

Old 07-28-2005, 03:20 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
I was getting nervous when my wife drove the Mini first couple of times, she was not good with the clucth and some other unimportant things. One night we were coming form a wedding and I was trashed, so could not drive, she got on the driver side, and drove me to our house, safely, without getting in trouble. That nite on the way back to our house, I felt like an idiot, complete a......hole . Who cares about a piece of metal? Is it more important than my wife? Everything is replacable as long as they are material, but not the one I chose to marry for the rest. Now, on the other hand, I am teaching her to shift more proper, just in order to save from the clutch

Sometimes we realize the value of the things when we lose them, so there is thousands of Minis out there but only 1 wife.... Easy on her....

Old 07-28-2005, 03:31 PM
Mineon
4th Gear
With two small children, a large dog, and a wife who isn't quite as skilled behind the wheel as I'd like, I'm a little apprehensive about our soon to be delivered MC. My wife tends to be a little careless and small dents and scratches are occasionally the result, and I won't be surprised if our kids cause some blemishes on the inside or outside. My cars are very important to me and I'm very picky about keeping my cars nice, but my wife and kids are so much more important than a car. I've owned more than a dozen cars, and I'm sure I'll own many more. Any car is replaceable, not so my wife and kids. I'm sure I'll get angry when stuff happens, but since I'll be autocrossing the car heavily too, I'm sure I'll be mad at myself when I get scratches on the car from cones I've hit. Cars are meant to be driven. When you drive (or someone else drives your car) things happen that are not in your control.

-Keith

Old 07-28-2005, 03:33 PM
pcnorton
5th Gear
Originally Posted by eVal
What does being an enthusiast have to do with it? I've known both male and female friends who certainly could not be reagarded as enthusiasts but take good care of their cars (and just the opposite too: gearheads and racers who don't take care of superficial things about their cars at all).

Bigoted remarks and generalizations about behavior and the nature of individuals is what offends people, in this case it is about woman (as is on most car forums). If similar generalities and stereotypical remarks were made based on race it would not be tolerated.
Please spare me. Do a survey of men and women and ask their preferences and put shoes, jewelery, cars, knives and guns and see where their preferences lie. It not about bigotry but admitting to where there is a true sexual/cultural bias.

Do you deny there are fewer automobile female devotees and say they are equal numbers with men?

I would say that it might not have to do with nature but more nuture, but the differences are still there. Unless Cra and Driver, Hot Rod, The Speed channel are demographics are 50/50 men/women you might have something, but I'm willing to bet they're not.

Paul

Old 07-28-2005, 03:38 PM
Super Coop
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I hit some kind of animal or bird that jumped/flew across the road with my MCs before I made the first payment. My girlfriend's new car got hit by a brain donor 5 days after she bought it. It happens. They're cars. We lovem' and take care of them but things are going to happen on the road, in parking lots, and even in your own garage.

Fix the windshield and get over it. Remember, you're the one who didn't even let your wife in on the fact that you were buying a new car. Isn't that kind of selfish?

Quick Reply: R50/53 Word to the wise about your new MINI