R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Word to the wise about your new MINI

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 04:02 PM
am0eba
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Good post, Super Coop!

I'm stunned by the amount of disrespect being expressed here, both blatantly, and tacitly.

Seems to me it's like Red State/Blue State, but with genders instead of ethics... (I wonder how folks will characterize me after that remark. )

This thread is frustrating because it's not enjoyable, but just like a car crash, I feel compelled to watch...

I think I need to go wash up.

_Dave_

Old 07-28-2005, 04:09 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
If you don't think there are loads of female members of NAM who are enthusiastic car-nuts, fellas, you are really mistaken.

I am not pleased to read such misogynistic, hateful comments about women on this site. I only hope that those of you insulting women with your nasty comments have your S/Os find this site and read your posts, so that they can see that your material belongings seem to be more important to you than your women.

Clover
Female Core Moderator

Old 07-28-2005, 04:13 PM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kaelaria
What some women fail to realize is that it's about respect for property. Sometimes y'all do really stupid things (as all of us do, women just seem to do them with expensive things like cars mroe than men) without care or forthought. Like parking in a tight space instead of a more clear one, going down a crappy road instead of a good one, parking way too fast & hitting a parking block instead of pulling in slowly and leaving room, closing the hatch with keys in your hand scratching the paint, putting a dent in the side while trying to cram something in the back seat, getting 'flustered' and slipping the clutch to 6k from a light...repeatedly, etc. These are all things my GF does, and it's from simple lack of care, not malice. No one is mad AT the women for PURPOSELY doing these things. We (men) are mad because of the lack of respect shown to our things, which we care a LOT about, and women couldn't care less about. How about if we treated your top posessions the same way? Put some ink stains on your favorite LV purse, or dropped your new cell in the toilet, accidentally sliced your new shoes while carrying them and a knife, etc. AND THEN didn't see why it was such a big deal?!

I find neither women nor men any smarter or dumber than each other. What I do find is your post and attitude is totally unexcitable.

The person who posted this thread was bad to lay blame on his wife to begin with, but you just sink right down deep to the bowels of the Earth with this guys are better than gals stuff.

A person is worth so much more than any type of inanimate object like a car.

I would give up my MINI for a woman who loves me any day.

Old 07-28-2005, 04:14 PM
Itsdchz
5th Gear
That is a true numbers proven DYNO!!
Originally Posted by sndwave

I find neither women nor men any smarter or dumber than each other. What I do find is your post and attitude is totally unexcitable.

The person who posted this thread was bad to lay blame on his wife to begin with, but you just sink right down deep to the bowels of the Earth with this guys are better than gals stuff.

A person is worth so much more than any type of inanimate object like a car.

I would give up my MINI for a woman who loves me any day.

Last edited by MINIclo; 07-28-2005 at 04:17 PM. Reason: correct typo from quote
Old 07-28-2005, 04:15 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pcnorton
Please spare me. Do a survey of men and women and ask their preferences and put shoes, jewelery, cars, knives and guns and see where their preferences lie. It not about bigotry but admitting to where there is a true sexual/cultural bias.

Do you deny there are fewer automobile female devotees and say they are equal numbers with men?

I would say that it might not have to do with nature but more nuture, but the differences are still there. Unless Cra and Driver, Hot Rod, The Speed channel are demographics are 50/50 men/women you might have something, but I'm willing to bet they're not.

Paul
I don't think you really read my post at all

Old 07-28-2005, 04:17 PM
2Miniacs
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...and someone wrote recently that NAM was becoming boring.......

Old 07-28-2005, 04:43 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Preventative measure is all that is needed. My wife will willingly admit to being a little klutzy...ok, more than most. Thank God she doesn't crash cars anymore but I still can't help her from crashing herself...into doors, cabinets, etc People are different and knowing my wife, I try to help her out with a few suggestions to avoid having a bad situation with the Mini This doesn't mean I'm suggesting all women are klutz/careless nor does it mean that I love my wife any less. Women are like men...they come in all varieties. I don't think the original poster of this thread was expressing anger at his wife nor would he save his Mini before her if the house was on fire...I think "happily" married men understand that he's just venting :smile:

Old 07-28-2005, 05:09 PM
pcnorton
5th Gear
Originally Posted by eVal
I don't think you really read my post at all
Or you not understanding mine..

Of course you put generalizations are bigoted. I'm just pointing out the obvious, generizations are based on the majority and not the minority. I could be wrong..but then again billions of advertyising dollars are being bet on these bigoted stereotypes.

But hey don't believe me, just post a poll here, how many men, how many women. If its 50/50 I'll eat a 3.5 inch disk.

Paul

Old 07-28-2005, 05:23 PM
camelpilot
Banned
Originally Posted by OmToast
That is my favorite thing about this forum -- having to completely reinvent the mental image I have of someone because I've improperly assigned their gender!

hahahah i had to do that with imavundabrah

Old 07-28-2005, 05:28 PM
camelpilot
Banned
shame on those who say the spouse is more important than your MINI.... afterall, there is lots of other fish in the sea, and not as many MINIs, especially considering that it's very hard to find a MINI exactly the same as yours.

Old 07-28-2005, 05:51 PM
MandaBoo
6th Gear
Never lend something to someon that doesn't hold it in the same light as yourself.
The only thing that you have posted that made any sense is what you said above. Why is the fact that there are more men than women on the site have anything to do with what is a sexist comment and what is not? By your logic, its OK to make racist comments b/c most of the people are one race making comments about the minority

I still say that the original poster was just venting his frustrations and that's fine, but some of the other comments have been very generalized comments about women that are inappropriate. It doesn't make it OK for them to say those things just because most of the members here are men

Old 07-28-2005, 05:52 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Or you not understanding mine..

Of course you put generalizations are bigoted. I'm just pointing out the obvious, generizations are based on the majority and not the minority. I could be wrong..but then again billions of advertyising dollars are being bet on these bigoted stereotypes.

But hey don't believe me, just post a poll here, how many men, how many women. If its 50/50 I'll eat a 3.5 inch disk.

Paul

But what I said was "What does being an enthusiast have to do with it?" - so I do not see how a headcount of males to females is relevent.

For context, the rest of my point on that was: "I've known both male and female friends who certainly could not be reagarded as enthusiasts but take good care of their cars (and just the opposite too: gearheads and racers who don't take care of superficial things about their cars at all)."

As for the issue of generalizations, bigotry and such, I was just stating that such statements offend people - excerpt:

"Bigoted remarks and generalizations about behavior and the nature of individuals is what offends people, in this case it is about woman (as is on most car forums). If similar generalities and stereotypical remarks were made based on race it would not be tolerated."

I wasn't arguing the basis for it.

See? I still think you should eat a disc though

Old 07-28-2005, 06:03 PM
erik99
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by 62Lincoln
Another great thread on NAM!

Yup, I'm with you. Threads like this keep me away.

Old 07-28-2005, 06:12 PM
pcnorton
5th Gear
I'm sorry I drug this thread into a discussion of how stereotypes are formed. If it inflamed anyone I apologize.

I have seen the error of my ways, men and women are equally mini enthusiasts. They have equal regard for guns,autos,pocketbook, and shoes and any other stereotypical male or female interests. I guess it was just my misguided perceptions that there were differences between the sexex in their value systems on the whole

I will not add further. This really doesn't belong here.

Paul

Old 07-28-2005, 07:50 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
stereotypes? I still havent figured out what a "forehead" is!

Old 07-28-2005, 09:57 PM
tattman23
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whew . There's a lot going on in here, but I'm with every single one of the girlz on this one (well I like what MSFIT has said too if you must know - and he's not the only male poster to exhibit some good ol' common sense, geesh).

Rest assured that it's not MY doing, that my lovely spouse hasn't yet driven my MINI - I have some theories about it. For example, she would lose her right to razz me for spending massive time cleaning it, if she were to become attached as I am... hmmm...

(more or less) happily married, with low-mileage MCS, I have to ask what is the POINT of dissin' the girlz... You can be RIGHT or you can be HAPPY... let's let THEM choose?

Just some thoughts, figure it out, adapt, be much happier,
Tatt

Old 07-28-2005, 10:56 PM
tattman23
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hey, Time Out

I didn't mean to sound like I don't feel the same pain as the original post in the thread... The only (teeny, binky) "ding" on my '05 is from you-guessed-it-my-spouse... I held my tongue, motored well away from our humble abode, to where I was sure there were no witnesses, and THEN I told my troubles to the moon (most vocally indeed)...

It "sucked" and i will be spending "our" money to fix it one of these days...

HowwwwEver... It was an accident.

If the shoe was on the other foot:
Believe me, I would fully expect to "pay" in every way a husband might, if I for example damage her Fender Stratocaster which I am privileged to get to PLAY most enthusiastically, but I guess that's another story.

Point being:
There's no tit for tatt (LOL) when you respect another human.... This reminds me of a story - about SkokieDude (whom I miss), who was a guy who took forgiveness for Granted, when his good bud put Skokie's MCS in a expensive scrape... Skokie made me lust after a MINI, but he ALSO showed me a thing or 2 about friendship...

You better be FRIENDS with someone, before they trash your valuables... (being committed to someone comes to mind = "friends").

Yes it sucks to be "taught lessons" when your MINI is the stakes, but (cover your eyes) oh well... Your heart is not a (technology lingo warning) "field-replaceable unit".

Now if you'll escuse me, I need to finish installing OUR (not HER) new dishwasher,

In honor of unsolicited "Dr. Phil" advice,
Tatt

Old 07-29-2005, 01:20 AM
lotsie
Banned
Some of the comments on this thread want to make me go hide under a rock in shame.

Get a grip you guys, it's a car.

Old 07-29-2005, 06:54 AM
The Short Bus
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
This thread is great:smile: I'm starting to figure out who's a "she" and who's "he"

I had no idea Omtoast and Shortbus were women:smile:
Then you apparently didn't see my old signature... Or the fact i have MY name in my signature right now!

Old 07-29-2005, 07:14 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
LOL...my wife tells me that I have a huge blind spot for the obvious I can search a closet for one particular shirt for 10 minutes without luck. She comes in and pulls it out of thin air...I swear:smile:
Originally Posted by The Short Bus
Then you apparently didn't see my old signature... Or the fact i have MY name in my signature right now!

Old 07-29-2005, 07:59 AM
The Short Bus
6th Gear
this makes me think about how little the people around me know about cars. I hung out with a guy the other day that has altezzas and an aftermarket exhaust on his honda(you should have seen that coming!) and i asked why he put a fart can on his car. He said "what's a fart can?" and i said your exhaust... He didn't even know it was called an exhaust!

I have ALOT of people constantly ask me for help/advice with cars, and i have been called a car snob :P I love it, because i'm the last person people think would be into cars. It's my favorite hobby

Old 07-29-2005, 08:06 AM
countrym
6th Gear
Originally Posted by The Short Bus
this makes me think about how little the people around me know about cars. I hung out with a guy the other day that has altezzas and an aftermarket exhaust on his honda(you should have seen that coming!) and i asked why he put a fart can on his car. He said "what's a fart can?" and i said your exhaust... He didn't even know it was called an exhaust!
Ha ha. You said "fart can."

I'll repeat myself since my previous post is on page 1. You can criticize the behavior of individuals (e.g. my wife is an idiot for damaging my car) but you can't paint a whole group with the same brush (e.g. girls are bad drivers) and expect it to be accurate. Sure, you could find 9 bad female drivers in a group of 10, but that tenth one is going to blow up your stereotype.

Old 07-29-2005, 08:21 AM
VerucaSalt
Coordinator :: Mid-Atlantic
I'm a woman that enjoys having nice things. Whether it be clothes or a handbag or a car or whatever, and I take good care of what I have.

That's why I see some generalizations as being rediculous. I think most people just want to have nice possessions...regardless of what they may be or where their real interests lie.

Even my mother, who knows nothing about cars, had a coniption because my stepdad ran the lawnmower into her new Saturn Vue and scratched it.

Old 07-29-2005, 08:32 AM
MandaBoo
6th Gear
It's because of stereotypes that everyone my husband works with thinks he's an ***. Everytime there is some reason for us to exchange gifts and he tells them what he's getting me, they yell at him and tell him to buy me a bracelet or something For example, a couple years ago for xmas, he got me a set of knives, a pepper mill and a garbage can. To which you're likely thinkin "what an ***" but he got me a set of Henkels knives, a really cool stainless steel pepper mill with multiple settings and the absolute coolest garbage can I've ever seen And, this weekend is our anniversary. He's getting a lower intercooler pipe and carbon fiber front lip for his car, and I got a 22mm Alta sway bar and a Schroth harness They still say he's an ***, but we just refuse to conform to people's stereotypes

Old 07-29-2005, 10:39 AM
camelpilot
Banned
Originally Posted by MandaBoo
It's because of stereotypes that everyone my husband works with thinks he's an ***. Everytime there is some reason for us to exchange gifts and he tells them what he's getting me, they yell at him and tell him to buy me a bracelet or something For example, a couple years ago for xmas, he got me a set of knives, a pepper mill and a garbage can. To which you're likely thinkin "what an ***" but he got me a set of Henkels knives, a really cool stainless steel pepper mill with multiple settings and the absolute coolest garbage can I've ever seen And, this weekend is our anniversary. He's getting a lower intercooler pipe and carbon fiber front lip for his car, and I got a 22mm Alta sway bar and a Schroth harness They still say he's an ***, but we just refuse to conform to people's stereotypes
You guys are a cool couple.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Word to the wise about your new MINI