R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Word to the wise about your new MINI

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 10:23 PM
Gerldoc
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kaelaria
What some women fail to realize is that it's about respect for property. Sometimes y'all do really stupid things (as all of us do, women just seem to do them with expensive things like cars mroe than men) without care or forthought. Like parking in a tight space instead of a more clear one, going down a crappy road instead of a good one, parking way too fast & hitting a parking block instead of pulling in slowly and leaving room, closing the hatch with keys in your hand scratching the paint, putting a dent in the side while trying to cram something in the back seat, getting 'flustered' and slipping the clutch to 6k from a light...repeatedly, etc. These are all things my GF does, and it's from simple lack of care, not malice. No one is mad AT the women for PURPOSELY doing these things. We (men) are mad because of the lack of respect shown to our things, which we care a LOT about, and women couldn't care less about. How about if we treated your top posessions the same way? Put some ink stains on your favorite LV purse, or dropped your new cell in the toilet, accidentally sliced your new shoes while carrying them and a knife, etc. AND THEN didn't see why it was such a big deal?!
Good God, What rock did you crawl out from under?

Let me tell you, as a FP doc I've heard it all - probably as many confessions as any priest, and believe me, men AND women both do stupid things. Do I really need to explain to you, here in 2005, that for many women their "top possession" has nothing to do with a "LV purse" or designer shoes, but rather are "things" like their confidence? Or their self-esteem? I pity your "girlfriend"...

And to the real men who really do understand where I am coming from, god bless you all, and you can drive my Mini anytime!

Everyone else, go back in your cave.

Old 07-29-2005, 10:33 PM
lotsie
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniMelSF
Good God, What rock did you crawl out from under?

Let me tell you, as a FP doc I've heard it all - probably as many confessions as any priest, and believe me, men AND women both do stupid things. Do I really need to explain to you, here in 2005, that for many women their "top possession" has nothing to do with a "LV purse" or designer shoes, but rather are "things" like their confidence? Or their self-esteem? I pity your "girlfriend"...

And to the real men who really do understand where I am coming from, god bless you all, and you can drive my Mini anytime!

Everyone else, go back in your cave.
Thanks
Well said, and I wish I could say it as well.
I just get so angry over this issue I can't post, and still be a member.

Old 07-29-2005, 10:48 PM
tattman23
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lot15
Thanks
Saw that; just let me say that I concur wholeheartedly!

Tatt

Old 07-29-2005, 11:49 PM
kesh420
4th Gear
Here Goes... I am part caveman, and I love my Cave-woman. (No we aren't hairy either!)

My wife is finally learning to drive. Not with me but with a drive instructor here in England. I would be way too nervous and scared in the passenger seat. When she passes her test,..... (Beatles Song) "Baby you can drive my car, yes you're gonna be a star..., 'cause baby I love you..."

If she wrecks it, scrapes it, cracks the windshield, bangs it, busts tires, dings the doors etc etc, that's fine, she didn't do it b/c she hates me, my wife loves me and I love her. I am the man of the house and it's my duty to fix these silly things. Heck, she fixes my dumb mistakes every day and still manages to smile and give me kisses. I am trying to learn from her.

My baby doesn't quite understand my fondness for the Mini, but she is eager to learn. Just like I don't quite understand her fondness for shopping, but go along and do it anyways. She can go shopping for a whole day and come back with a pair of earrings ???? Then again, I can spend a whole day cleaning the Mini and.... "Why not pay £10 and go to the car wash".

I know that she loves me and busted car is not out of malice or hate, it's just one of those things.

Different side of the coin... Don't lend your car to your jealous ex ! Now that's malice and you should get a smack for being a jack-*** in the 1st place.

Kesh

PS: Drill Seargent is no x-cuse... give your lady a hug and kiss. There is a bigger man under that uniform, I am sure of this.

Old 07-30-2005, 12:15 AM
kesh420
4th Gear
Did I say.... WHO CARES ABOUT A BUSTED CAR ?

My car has airbags... My marriage doesn't!

My relationship with my wife is the highest priority I have ever known.

Old 07-30-2005, 06:24 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
Immature

Originally Posted by kesh420
Did I say.... WHO CARES ABOUT A BUSTED CAR ? ...
My relationship with my wife is the highest priority I have ever known.
very good ...

After thinking this over last night, its obvious now. The originator of the thread and the one or two others who expressed some kind of agreement have not yet matured.

As one grows older, one learns some wisdom.

One learns to understand what is important, and what is not important.

One learns what has real value, and what has little value.

One learns to worry about the REAL things that matter, not trivial materialistic things.

Old 07-31-2005, 12:11 PM
VerucaSalt
Coordinator :: Mid-Atlantic
Kesh!!! I haven't seen you around on here in a looong time!
Awesome post, my friend. Your wife is damn lucky to have a real man like you.

Of course I am obviously 100% careful with my own MINI...I wonder what my boyfriend would do if anything bad ever happened to HIS MINI while I was driving it.

I'm not going to take any chances.

Old 07-31-2005, 04:36 PM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lot15
Thanks
Thank god for men like you ,lotsie:smile: That's all I have to say!

Lois

Old 08-01-2005, 04:35 AM
kesh420
4th Gear
L.Mini !!!

I have been relocating to England and thus haven't had a Mini for a one year hiatus. That was like a year of depression. Got my Mini back and loving every minute of it. I pretty much bought the same car as I had back in the Florida and Atlanta days, same color same spec everything else.

Old 08-01-2005, 04:49 AM
AC_MINI
5th Gear
Hey MissAlternateUniverse you said it all...........
I agree with you 100%
Accidents do happens, look at me while I was driving my wife 2005 E320 to get gas. Someone ran the red light and hit me on the passenger side. The cost of the repair was like $18,000 and the car was only 2 weeks old.

Originally Posted by MissAlternateUniverse
Accidents happen. I know just as many men that have damaged their cars as women. Just be glad that she is safe. Windshields are replaceable, but the love of your life is not.

Old 08-01-2005, 08:10 AM
The Short Bus
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope you were ok! And i'm sure she forgave you

Old 08-01-2005, 08:12 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MissAlternateUniverse
Of course I am obviously 100% careful with my own MINI...I wonder what my boyfriend would do if anything bad ever happened to HIS MINI while I was driving it.
I thought your boyfriend had a focus??

Old 08-01-2005, 09:30 AM
DSA
3rd Gear
Wow! What a read 4 pages (wipes brow) In all actuallity I was only venting about the situation. I understood its just glass I was frustrated with the fact the car was only a few days old. (insert baby-like whinning here). I really have not been upset with my spouse other than on these pages. I was able to type my feelings which allowed me to get over it and remain cool at home. It has allowed me to understand it was due to happen to me or her it was just a matter of time. I do however deserve the flogging I recieved

Old 08-01-2005, 10:20 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by DSA
In all actuallity I was only venting about the situation. I understood its just glass I was frustrated with the fact the car was only a few days old.
See...I had you read correctly:smile:

Old 08-01-2005, 12:31 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DSA
... I do however deserve the flogging I recieved
A thoughtful answer

I guess you didn't explain it well enough for a lot of us so maybe some didn't understand you point but now you have stepped up and taken the "helpful" criticism like a Man

Good one dude ..... (you could have hidden and didn't!)

Old 08-01-2005, 01:31 PM
DaveTinNY
6th Gear
One thing I loooooooove about New York: Auto glass replacement is covered by insurance -- 100%. Not a dime out of pocket.
I know because I recently hit a turkey (rather, IT hit ME) and the glass replacement (on my Jeep Wrangler, BTW) was free.
Good luck.
Dave

Old 08-01-2005, 01:35 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I can only imagine the combustibility of this thread if it were merged with the recent "who else only parks like this" thread!

Old 08-01-2005, 11:46 PM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by Greatbear
I can only imagine the combustibility of this thread if it were merged with the recent "who else only parks like this" thread!
Let's not, OK