R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Unsure of my color choice for my ordered '06 mini

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 11:16 PM
Steeroidz
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unsure of my color choice for my ordered '06 mini

I just placed my Mini order like 2 or 3 days ago, and I chose Dark Silver/Dark Silver. I originally thought DS/White was gonna be my choice, but after thinking about it, I thought I'd rather just have one solid color.

I'm not debating whether or not to go with all Pure Silver or not. I'm very practical/functional in my decisions, so it'd be nice to have a color that's easy to clean, and living here in FL, would resist the suns rays fairly well.... anything to keep things a little cooler. I don't like white though, so althought that'd be a good way to handle both concerns, cleaning/heat, I just don't like it enough. And black is cool looking, but would be the worse choice for the above concerns I suppose as well.

So I figured silver would be good for staying cooler, and I like the colors. Just unsure if I want to go with DS or PS. For some reason I have a feeling that the DS will be a PITA to keep clean. And earlier I saw some photos of an all PS/PS car, and I thought it looked pretty good.

My first new car purchase, after having the same truck for 10+ years now, so with that track record I'll probably have the Mini for quite a while, so just want to make the best choice I suppose.

How can you really advise someone on what color to chose though? hehe, anyway, if anybody can think of any tips, perhaps practical reasons for chosing one color over another, I'd appreciate it =)

PS - Are posts always moderated, or after I'm here for a while, will my posts show up quicker?

Old 09-23-2005, 10:26 AM
flav
5th Gear
i would choose the best of both worlds if i were you. mini now has a new pure silver top for the 2006s. why dont you go dark sliver body and pure silver top. that way you get the VERY nice two tone look every mini should have IMO (im not a big fan of single color minis). plus you get the lighter sliver on top so that will help keep the car cool. and the color combo looks great.

by the way i used to have a dark silver/black mini before i got my pepper white/black one i have now. it was not hard to keep clean. in fact it did a great job of hiding the dirt.

so my answer to you is get the DARK SILVER body/PURE SILVER top!!!!!!!

Attached Thumbnails Unsure of my color choice for my ordered '06 mini-car.jpg  
Old 09-23-2005, 10:32 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Steeroidz
For some reason I have a feeling that the DS will be a PITA to keep clean.
As a 3.5 year DS/W owner i can tell you that it's not hard to keep clean.

Originally Posted by Steeroidz
And earlier I saw some photos of an all PS/PS car, and I thought it looked pretty good.
It does.

And I agree with flav, DS/Silver roof would be sharp, particularly with the silver bonnet stripes.

Old 09-23-2005, 01:03 PM
resmini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All MINI's look good but I'd go for dark silver and white if I wanted silver. IMO MINI's are at their best in bright, cheerful colors like liquid yellow, chile red, electric blue, and even pepper white to a slightly lesser extent. The muted colors make it blend in too much.

Then again, I guess some folks want to blend in.

Old 09-23-2005, 01:18 PM
The Short Bus
6th Gear
Originally Posted by resmini

Then again, I guess some folks want to blend in.
NOT ME!

I'm not a silver person by any means, but i never thought about DS with a PS roof and stripes. Go for the light silver dash, and that would actually look very nice IMHO.

Old 09-23-2005, 01:36 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DS/DS would look really good as would PS/PS....as would DS w/ a silver roof. Geez....it's really tough right now if you like silver.........SO many choices!!

Old 09-23-2005, 05:27 PM
resmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by The Short Bus
NOT ME!

I'm not a silver person by any means, but i never thought about DS with a PS roof and stripes. Go for the light silver dash, and that would actually look very nice IMHO.
Hi,

Go to AutoZone, O'Reilly's etc. and buy a $2.99 roll of black pinstripe. Run it along the edges of your white bonnet stripes and I bet you will think it's a big improvement for $2.99. It you do this let us see a picture. Liquid Yellow is one of my favorites.

Old 09-23-2005, 09:02 PM
Steeroidz
3rd Gear
Hmm, maybe I will take the advice to go with the Dark Silver body with the Pure Silver roof. I had considered that at one point, but I think the colors on the miniusa site for me look off. For example the Pure Silver on the "you build it" car looks almost like a light blue to me. But in photo's it looks good.

Also, let's assume I go with the DS/PS setup. Would silver interior be the best choice, at least as far as matching the rest? Though now I'm reading in a thread with people having a lot of trouble with the silver interior cracking. So maybe I should go with anthracite for it's better quality? As most the people in that thread seem to say that Anthracite is more durable? And what about the Alloy Patina? With all it's swirls, it would seem to hide cracks/scratches well. But I think it might have an overly artificial look to it as well. Plastic trying to look like metal I guess.

And as a guesstimate, I wonder how long I can keep calling back into the dealer and asking to change my config around =) I think the car doesn't go into production for another 2 weeks or so, so perhaps I have until that point? I certainly don't wanna delay the arrival of my Mini at all by making changes repeatedly. Hope my MA can tolerate my indecisiveness too =)

Old 09-24-2005, 10:33 AM
cct1
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd go with either anthracite or silver for the interior. The alloy patina actually scratches the easiest. The silver is a bit blah IMHO, but would match your car's exterior silver, so it would tie in together. I personally think the anthracite, with the anthracite headliner, looks fantastic, and goes well with the dark silver body, and it is probably the most durable of the three, and would be my choice. Oh yeah, I forgot, it's not my car though...