R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 doors closing

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 08:06 AM
Chips-O'Toole
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone else notice that they have to really give the doors a decent tug to close them? A light(er) push or pull, force that closes the doors in our other cars, leaves the mini doors ajar.

Or are mine just fitted wrong?

Opinions?

Old 01-30-2003, 08:11 AM
joshua
2nd Gear
nope. you are not alone. have to give them decisive tug or push. have to COMMIT to it. boo YAH!

Old 01-30-2003, 08:18 AM
Davbret
6th Gear
I'm the exact opposite. I have to really give it a shove to get OUT of my car. The damn doors have minds of their own and my left calf has the bruises to prove it. The door will swing wide open, then ATTACK like a hawk on a mouse. KERCLANG! My poor left calf. It just doesn't stay open. In fact, it's so prone to closing on it's own that someone asked me the other day if it has an auto-close feature, as the door closed all by itself after I opened it and jumped inside.

R

Old 01-30-2003, 08:38 AM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Davbret--you're too slow getting in, your MINI wants to motor!

My door closes normal, I'd say.... but it almost looks like the windows "duck" a bit to get under the weatherstripping and then push themselves up once the door is closed. Is that even possible, or have I, too, been putting alternative substances in my MINI mug?

Confounded,
~Kelley

Old 01-30-2003, 08:43 AM
npartist
4th Gear
OmToast, you are correct, the windows "duck" when you close/open the door to provide a good seal. The doors have a good latch system for crashes which protects you, that is why it is a little harder to close. As far as the doors closing on you, that is just the way the doors are.

Old 01-30-2003, 08:51 AM
minifinn
4th Gear
I have found that the excellent weather stripping seals are to blame! When I crack a window open, the doors close very easily. I have to give a forceful tug when all windows are shut tight. This makes for a timing issue with passengers. When my a passenger slams the door shut while mine is open, I think the door is going to come off the hinges! I wait for them to close the door BEFORE I open mine. It's goofy way of doing things but I don't want my MINI door slammed!

I was wondering if a simple pop off flapper valve can be installed somewhere to relieve the cabin pressure. OK.... I'm off the deep end now! I guess it's the engineer in me.

Old 01-30-2003, 08:59 AM
MiniMac
4th Gear
>>I'm the exact opposite. I have to really give it a shove to get OUT of my car. The damn doors have minds of their own and my left calf has the bruises to prove it. The door will swing wide open, then ATTACK like a hawk on a mouse. KERCLANG! My poor left calf. It just doesn't stay open. In fact, it's so prone to closing on it's own that someone asked me the other day if it has an auto-close feature, as the door closed all by itself after I opened it and jumped inside.
>>
>>R
I agree. I have to push the door open and hold it from closing right back on me.
I was wondering if there was some kind of new detent hinge for the problem. I guess not.

Old 01-30-2003, 09:06 AM
jsun
6th Gear
>>I have found that the excellent weather stripping seals are to blame! When I crack a window open, the doors close very easily. I have to give a forceful tug when all windows are shut tight. This makes for a timing issue with passengers. When my a passenger slams the door shut while mine is open, I think the door is going to come off the hinges! I wait for them to close the door BEFORE I open mine. It's goofy way of doing things but I don't want my MINI door slammed!
>>
>>I was wondering if a simple pop off flapper valve can be installed somewhere to relieve the cabin pressure. OK.... I'm off the deep end now! I guess it's the engineer in me.

Minifinn, just a thought, but you may want to check to be sure that your windows are doing the "ducking" thing that omtoast asked about. There have been some issues where the windows didn't drop the .25" and people were having to force their doors past the weatherstrip/drip channel. If it doesn't drop the full .25", the window won't clear. Obviously you'd only notice this if the window was at its full up position...and hence the effect you mention. It may not be cabin pressure.

Old 01-30-2003, 09:07 AM
minifinn
4th Gear
My window are "ducking" I just checked.

Old 01-30-2003, 02:21 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
<< OmToast, you are correct, the windows "duck" when you close/open the door>>

Woah.... cool!

Old 01-30-2003, 02:31 PM
Needler
4th Gear
>>"the door closed all by itself after I opened it and jumped inside. "

Oh-oh. Perhaps you should seek the advice of an exorcist. Your car may be possessed!

Needler
(Your newest PDX Mini Cooper Club member)

Old 01-30-2003, 02:36 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
>>Davbret--you're too slow getting in, your MINI wants to motor!

ROTFLMAO!

Old 01-30-2003, 02:42 PM
Wave
1st Gear
I find that the windows seem loose in the door when opened most likely from all the ducking. My Mini is 9 months old and itmakes it a little firmer to close decisively. I liked the insight of cabin pressure, Ill look for that. Good tip.

David

Old 01-30-2003, 02:52 PM
Hibou
2nd Gear
The boot is more a problem to me.... The doors??? better not live in a cold country... everything freezes....
So far I've had excellent support for service, incidently I had the opportunity to develop a good relationship with the service manager, thanks God he is a nice guy..

Old 01-30-2003, 03:44 PM
red03miniS
Banned
if u think mini doors are hard to close, try the lexus sc300

Old 01-30-2003, 04:58 PM
Davbret
6th Gear
>>Davbret--you're too slow getting in, your MINI wants to motor!

ROTFL

R

Old 01-30-2003, 05:13 PM
mpemburn
4th Gear
minifinn: "I was wondering if a simple pop off flapper valve can be installed somewhere to relieve the cabin"

What an excellent idea! Our Civic has a similar difficulty due to it's tight seal (and, for that matter, so does our house's front door and storm door). But a one-way valve that either flaps closed or has a spring return would provide an escape for that momentary spike in pressure that provides the resistance we experience. You engineer johnnies -- get on it, then!

Mark of Pemburnia
(former engineer johnnie)

Old 01-30-2003, 05:34 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
>>I find that the windows seem loose in the door when opened most likely from all the ducking. My Mini is 9 months old and itmakes it a little firmer to close decisively. I liked the insight of cabin pressure, Ill look for that. Good tip.
>>
>>David

My driver door window rattled when the door was open - but the passenger side did not.
When I mentioned it at MINI Peabody they said it was something they could fix (and they did)! Took a while - door stripdown - but no more window rattle :smile:

Old 02-03-2003, 06:34 AM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
minifinn said:

I have found that the excellent weather stripping seals are to blame! When I crack a window open, the doors close very easily. I have to give a forceful tug when all windows are shut tight.

I was wondering if a simple pop off flapper valve can be installed somewhere to relieve the cabin pressure. OK.... I'm off the deep end now! I guess it's the engineer in me.
I notice the exact same thing - and, yes, my windows are "ducking."

Inadvertantly, either my wife or I will end up slamming a door because the other one is still open. I wince every time.

Old 02-03-2003, 03:13 PM
Chips-O'Toole
2nd Gear
twice now, the driver door window didn't duck. it bounces off the frame with a scary sound. I suppose I should have that checked out, huh?

Old 02-03-2003, 04:32 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
>>twice now, the driver door window didn't duck. it bounces off the frame with a scary sound. I suppose I should have that checked out, huh?

About 3 seconds after I got over my "Oh-My-God-The-Windows-Duck!" stupor I began to wonder if there ever came a time when the more appropriate reaction would be more like "%#!@-My-Windows-Didn't-Duck!"

I'm sorry for your MINIs windows! If you get it checked out anytime before this thread gets buried let us (well, me) know what is entailed in fixing them.

Better luck next close,
~Kelley