R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 sunroof wind deflector

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005 | 06:45 AM
joew
|
1st Gear
sunroof wind deflector

For those of you who are looking for a good wind deflector, here is a link to the one I just purchased...

http://www.weathertech.com/store/veh...pt_choice_id=0

I did some searching online and this looked like the best one. I did not want to deal with double-stick tape and this unit offers 2 screw down clamps.

Price: $59.95

If you get this wind deflector, the install of the clips can be a bit tricky. The clips need to be placed directly under the lip of the metal of your sunroof (push down the fuzzy seal a bit and slide the clip under the metal then slide the seal back up).

It makes things much quieter.

Just my thoughts, not a plug for weathertech or anything

Anyone looking to sell/trade an 02 MCS for a 03 MC?

Old 10-06-2005 | 08:03 AM
Squirlz
6th Gear
Does it really make a significant difference in noise at, say, over 70MPH? Can you post a pic of yours installed? Thanks.

Old 10-06-2005 | 08:11 AM
Aquasar
6th Gear
What was wrong with the one that MINI sells in thier accessory book? I got it works great it even has a center diverter to direct air into the interiour. Loook in my gallery I have a few pics with my wind deflector.

Art

Old 10-06-2005 | 08:16 AM
JustDandy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by joew
I did not want to deal with double-stick tape and this unit offers 2 screw down clamps.

Price: $59.95

If you get this wind deflector, the install of the clips can be a bit tricky. The clips need to be placed directly under the lip of the metal of your sunroof (push down the fuzzy seal a bit and slide the clip under the metal then slide the seal back up).
Thanks for the reference. I've got the OEM sunroof and found that it was easiest to install the screws/clamps the same way you mentioned - pressing down on the sunroof/rubber seal and slipping the clamp under the lip. I especially like the diverter (haven't had that on past cars).

As for noise difference over 70 - I have noticed a significant difference. My SO's MINI doesn't have the wind deflector, and it is noticeable.

john

Old 10-06-2005 | 08:31 AM
agranger
6th Gear
Can we see some pics on the car, please? It looks very low profile on the website, but I'd love to see it on a MINI!

Old 10-06-2005 | 08:55 AM
theroyalwe
5th Gear
also could someone please take a picture of the oem style and how this 'diverter' works? that's the first I've heard of it.

Old 10-06-2005 | 09:21 AM
JustDandy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by theroyalwe
also could someone please take a picture of the oem style and how this 'diverter' works? that's the first I've heard of it.
It's just a hinged piece of the same plastic used for the rest of the wind defelector that you manually reach up and flip into the air stream. See the pics below...

Old 10-06-2005 | 09:43 AM
fishbulb
6th Gear
thanks for the detailed pics...we need to do something about our sunroof racket as well. How much is that OEM MINI one?

Also, pics of the other one installed would be great. I hate how high up some of the deflectors sit....

thanks!

-jac

Old 10-06-2005 | 10:27 AM
kaelaria
6th Gear
Ew. Right up there with bug deflectors in my book. I don't care for the noise either, but I won't stick a chunk of plastic and ruin the lines of my roof either.

Old 10-06-2005 | 10:52 AM
JustDandy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by fishbulb
How much is that OEM MINI one?
It was $129, self-installed. I forget how much they wanted to install it prior to delivery, but I'd done these before and it wasn't a big deal so I didn't spend the unneceesary $$.

Originally Posted by kaelaria
Ew. Right up there with bug deflectors in my book. I don't care for the noise either, but I won't stick a chunk of plastic and ruin the lines of my roof either.
I still have to get the bug deflector, the bra, and the wind deflectors for the side windows. No, not really. But, to each their own. BTW, Kaelaria, I've seen a lot of your posts on the NAM forums... you seem to be a bit cranky and quick to spew negativity on others. Any chance you could try not saying anything at all if you can't say something nice :smile:

Old 10-06-2005 | 11:30 AM
kaelaria
6th Gear
Hey - you posted it on a public forum...

BTW just because I happen to think a particular product looks hideous, doesn't mean it has anything to do with you, so you really have no reason to feel personally effected

I mean - what if you happened to not like something about a hb mcs with all the chrome details...do you think I would cry about it? LOL Noooo.

You like the look of a chunk of plastic on the roof, cool. I think they look like crap - so do lots of other people - that's our right to have an opinion

Old 10-06-2005 | 11:51 AM
JustDandy
4th Gear

BTW just because I happen to think a particular product looks hideous, doesn't mean it has anything to do with you, so you really have no reason to feel personally effected

I mean - what if you happened to not like something about a hb mcs with all the chrome details...do you think I would cry about it? LOL Noooo.

You like the look of a chunk of plastic on the roof, cool. I think they look like crap - so do lots of other people - that's our right to have an opinion
Guess not No surprise. Motor on...

Old 10-06-2005 | 12:21 PM
kaelaria
6th Gear
vrrrooooooooooom beep beep!

Old 10-06-2005 | 12:44 PM
fishbulb
6th Gear
no to continue a pi$$ing match, but i am very spilt on this one as far as form vs function.

Are they kind of nasty looking? yeah.
Do i sometimes keep the roof closed because it's too freaking loud? yeah.

There is no way that I would use the sticky tape to put one on. Just wouldn't do it. THat is what makes the first one so appealing, no tape! Now, we just need to get some pics of it & see how "sleek" it is.

thanks!

Old 10-06-2005 | 01:10 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE

Actually, had he said "I'm thinking about getting one of these, what do you think? It would be reasonable to state your opinion, positive or negative. Just throwing out negativity because your panties are irreversibly in a twist, well, that's less reasonable and against social moors and site guidelines.
Sort of like walking up to someone in a park and saying "You're UGLY" - defending the comment by saying, "Hey, you came out in public."

CAN you do it? Certainly. SHOULD you? IMO, no.

All that said, it's a tough tradeoff between clean lines and reducing the roar from the sunroof. My Miata is quieter with the top down! IMO it looks better on the dark roof, as it's not as noticeable.
Thanks, joew for giving us another, more reasonably priced option.

Old 10-06-2005 | 01:24 PM
kaelaria
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
your panties are irreversibly in a twist, well, that's less reasonable and against social moors and site guidelines.
No, actually I didn't do anything against guidelines, such as the personal insult you just hurled for no reason whatsoever.

Old 10-06-2005 | 02:45 PM
JustDandy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by fishbulb
There is no way that I would use the sticky tape to put one on. Just wouldn't do it. THat is what makes the first one so appealing, no tape!
Just to clarify, there's no double sided tape with the OEM wind deflector either.

Also, I do like that sleeker look of the one mentioned in the first post. I would've gotten that one if I had known about it. At least others will know about more choices!

Old 10-06-2005 | 03:33 PM
Minimad
6th Gear
So, what's wrong with doubleface tape? Its what holds everything else on the exterior of all cars? Easily removable & no paint damage.

Also, aftermarket generic wind deflector at Advance is $39. Works for me....

Old 10-06-2005 | 03:40 PM
pyratio
Coordinator :: Hawaii MINI Motoring Club
everyone's got one...

--Major props to JustDandy for asking tho. I've noticed the same thing about K.

I think the original picture of this sunroof deflector on the "other" car looked really nice and streamlined. The one installed on the Mini didn't look so great IMHO. It looked a little too bubbly or round. I think it's more of the fact that the Mini itself is a small car and that piece looks HUGE on it, that makes it look funny. Although you're talking to a purist so I don't really like the lines of a car I love to be disrupted in anyway. To each their own.

On the other hand it looks like it would do the job well. I wonder how that swiveling part improves the flow tho? Does it reduce turbulence and or noise? Or both?

The stock sunroof actually deploys a deflector doesn't it? I thought that was sufficient until about 40 or 50mph then it gets a little rough in the cabin due to turbulence. But heck if you like the aftermarket deflector go for it. It's your Mini make it yours through customization. YEAH BABY!!!
--pyratio

Originally Posted by JustDandy
Guess not No surprise. Motor on...

Old 10-06-2005 | 06:08 PM
JustDandy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by pyratio
I wonder how that swiveling part improves the flow tho? Does it reduce turbulence and or noise? Or both?
Actually, that little flip up deflector is probably better called a wind diverter. It's to direct some airflow INTO the car. And it does create turbulence and some noise, but is there for when you want a breeze. When you don't need it, you just lay it flat.

:smile:

Old 10-06-2005 | 06:51 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
I don't know about you guys, but I am VERY picky about what I put on the outside of my vehicles, especially my MINI. I must have looked at 3 or 4 different factory deflectors and they all had some kind marks on them from rubbing inside the plastic bag and the box that they ship in. Long story short, I don't have one on. I agree with kaelaria about the roof line, it looks nice and clean without it.

Old 10-06-2005 | 07:58 PM
theroyalwe
5th Gear
well I'm probably just going to go with a white perforated decal on the roof... but this is one of those things that comes down to having more options... and the more options, the better! it also makes me happy every time I see MINI making something with an extra little something they don't have to add!

Old 09-15-2006 | 02:43 PM
Little bit
3rd Gear
Where can I see the OEM unit?

Where can I preview factory accesories? Is there a web site?

Old 09-15-2006 | 03:03 PM
Paul
6th Gear
The OEM version is in post #7 of this thread. Your best bet to see the accessories is to visit a MINI dealer and pick up an you-ification book. Or check out the vendor section here on NAM.