R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Mini Motoring Insurance / Liberty Mutual

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005 | 04:13 PM
qweewq12
4th Gear
USAA is the cheapest for me... but you have to be affliated with the military somehow... active... reserves...

me is in the reserves....past active...

Who's Eligible?
  • Active duty officers and enlisted personnel
  • National Guard, Reserve officers and enlisted personnel
  • Officer candidates in commissioning programs(Academy, ROTC, OCS & OTS)
  • Former spouses and adult children of USAA members

Old 10-10-2005 | 05:14 PM
pyratio
Coordinator :: Hawaii MINI Motoring Club
AIG Hawaii

--My insurance company AIG Hawaii is really well known in Hawaii for their cheesy TV and radio commercials has been the only one to take care of me really well over the past 7 years. Prior companies like First insurance wouldn't cover my old cars for less than $1500 a year for liabilities only and it had to be paid in advance. State farm cut me the same deal. When AIG offered me a premium of $700 a year I jumped at it.

AIG gives discounts for just about every club in the universe. I started with a NCOA (non commissioned officers association) discount and then they kept on adding all kinds of discounts like being an IT professional in Hawaii. I've stuck with them even though they won't insure my Ninja. (too small an engine size) Over the past 7 years they've been reducing my insurance premium just about every year. It's dropped over $300 so far for my annuals.

My new MCSa financed will be insured for $902 a year. This is with full comprehensive insurance and uninsured insurance. Of course this is also with a second car discount. But that's ok because my ancient Nissan Altima drops it's yearly down to $380 a year for liabilities only.

Of course it helps that I've mellowed quite a bit over the years. I used to race anyone passing me on the freeway, and I used to duel with m3's and Acuras all over the island. Recently I drove a group for a bachelor party and my old high school buddies were all commenting how mellow I drive now. I keep my ego pretty much in check most times and I save my "italian job" driving for days when I really need to get to someplace important on time and or for emergencies. With gas prices the way they are nowadays I've got better things to spend my money on rather than gas. I usually cruise in the right lane until I can't stand following someone going slower than speed limit anymore. But usually I'll let all kinds of yahoos and crazies blast past me. I've got nothing to prove. I'm secure in my manhood and I don't need to wreck my car to prove I'm a better driver. I know I am.

But yeah for you young drivers just take it easy and try to keep it on the track. An occasional drag race is ok, but after 100 yards, call it quits. Don't let it get out of hand. When both racers don't give up on the streets is when people usually get killed. But better yet, don't indulge buttheads that call you out on the streets at all. Just tell them to meet you at the tracks.

--pyratio

Old 10-11-2005 | 06:56 AM
sprp85
6th Gear
Originally Posted by planeguy
If i was an insurer I wouldn't come close to you....with that record in 2 years of driving you are an accident waiting to happen.

Why is it worth $600 a month to drive a brand new car. Do you realize that if you drove a used car with liability insurance only and saved the $700 a month for only 3 years and put that money into a good mutual fund that you would be a millionare at age 60!.........That is a million dollar car you are driving around....is it worth it?
Hell yeah it is worth it.
Also, when I used to drive a 2000 beater, with out liability, I only paid '280' with all of my records..

That's why I am trying to drop it on my mini, put it back on next winter when my 5-pt ticket will fade away.

Old 10-11-2005 | 10:11 AM
fsuscotsman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by planeguy
Really? anyone else have that experiance? I know that they force comprehensive insurance for anything that you are still payin for but I have never heard of them actually stating which deductible to get.

such a low deductible would add cost, egnough cost that if i was financing that I would got to another bank that doesn't stipulate such conditions even if thier rate was slightly higher....just seems like that would hurt thier loan "sales"
If you lease a car, in some states, they can force you to have higher coverages. It's against the law now to require minimum coverages if the car is in your name. If I remember correctly this was changed when they overturned the rules requiring life insurance on loans.

Old 10-11-2005 | 12:02 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sprp85
Hell yeah it is worth it.
Also, when I used to drive a 2000 beater, with out liability, I only paid '280' with all of my records..
You cannot drive a car without Liability in MD, that is ILLEGAL.

You must be talking about Collision. Do you understand how auto insurance works? Your 5 point ticket isn't going to "fade away" this winter from an insurance perspective. You've been driving 2 years. Those points will stay with you on the insurance for probably five years. In other words, with LM, you would need to be convinction free for 5 years before the rates went down.

Old 10-11-2005 | 12:20 PM
bellybean329
3rd Gear
I pay $900 a year, no Comp deductible, $250 collision ded., full rental car reimbursement with Geico. I've had 2 claims with them and no issues, so I'm pretty happy with that. The motorcycle policy is only $400 for the year with $100 deductibles on both/ I'm prretty happy with that.

Old 10-11-2005 | 12:33 PM
fsuscotsman
3rd Gear
That is one thing I love about State Farm. They look at the whole picture and not your tickets. I haven't had one in over four years, but when I got that one I called my agent on whether I should go to the driving school or not. He told me not to waste my time or money as one or two tickets wasn't going to change a thing on my insurance.

Besides, the points I can live with, it is the $250 for just 15 over that frosts my shorts!!!