R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Is it possible to get any kind of discount on an 06 Mini??

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 07:56 AM
jibeho
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtbscott
Don't know where you are, but I'm calling BS on this one. I had a conversation with a friend two weeks ago who used to be a GM at the BMW/MINI dealer group where I bought my car. He said that MINI sales were basically propping up the smaller BMW store that they share property with. Even employees pay MSRP there, the dealership owners see no reason to leave money on the table when they can sell their full allotment every month. He went on to say how some dealers in busy markets (i.e. SoCal) would even buy cars from smaller dealers at MSRP to resell. I can believe maybe $500 off to clear away a car that's been sitting on a lot, or end of the month deal, but I see no incentive for a dealer to sell a car for $500 over invoice on an order. Hate to be a #%$@, but let's see a scan of the purchase order.
I have stated the FACTS of our order

Old 02-13-2006, 08:37 AM
gr8britwjh
4th Gear
If you're paying cash (or at least using non-dealer-provided financing) with no vehicle trade-in, then that's a fantastic deal

Otherwise, it may, or may not, be such a good deal.....too many variables to consider (trade-in, financing rate etc. etc.).

Old 02-13-2006, 08:54 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jibeho
I have stated the FACTS of our order
Still waiting to see a scan of the purchase order.

Old 02-13-2006, 10:41 AM
banjoez
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is so hard to believe about discounts on a MINI? $500 to $1000 is pretty common. It's all in the timing as with any car purchase and whether or not you are willing to walk away with cash in hand. Don't expect a discount on a convertible in May, just common sense. The poster who seems unwilling to accept the fact that some people really didn't pay MSRP must have either overpaid or was unwilling to shop around. I did my entire negotiation and ordering by phone/email, very painless. End-of-month, quarter, year, model year, all dealers are the same (yes, even MINI dealers). In order to fulfill sales quotas or pump up their new car allotments they will deal when the timing is right. That's why they are called "Dealers" and not "Retailers".

Old 02-13-2006, 11:07 AM
wilson0728
2nd Gear
I paid below what the MINIUSA MSRP was for our '05 Cooper S that we ordered. We only paid $25,9?? with the NAV, Automatic w/Agitronic (for the wife), Park Dis. Con., Prem Pak, Sport Pak, and Cold Weather Pak. The MSRP on MiniUSA was $29,??? and the bank valued it at $28,9??.

Forgot to mention though that we bought it in Germany (military) and sent it back here (free shipping) and only had to pay $800 State Sales/Use Tax.

Old 02-13-2006, 11:25 AM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by wilson0728

Forgot to mention though that we bought it in Germany (military) ...
That's why you paid below MSRP

Old 02-13-2006, 02:59 PM
jibeho
5th Gear
Attachment 10834
Originally Posted by mtbscott
Still waiting to see a scan of the purchase order.
Here you go

Old 02-13-2006, 04:28 PM
resmini
6th Gear
Attachment 10834

Here you go

Uh, very hard to read and some of the numbers have been changed..........but, if you say you got a really good deal, that's good enough for me .

Old 02-13-2006, 04:37 PM
jibeho
5th Gear
Originally Posted by resmini
Uh, very hard to read and some of the numbers have been changed..........but, if you say you got a really good deal, that's good enough for me .
Dude, I have never seen a dealer get the numbers right the first time around

Think he was tring to make it 23k on the road.
The 1484 is tax
the 489 is dealer markup
the 300 is for the new tag and service.

Old 02-13-2006, 04:49 PM
MandaBoo
6th Gear
There are several dealers around that have ALOT of cars on the lot at the moment because of the increase in production preparing for the model year change over. I know that Cincinnati MINI has a surprising amount of cars on the lot and if you worked it right, you may be able to get some off at this point

Old 02-13-2006, 05:40 PM
CDMINI
5th Gear
Here you go
Sure it is, what dream world are you coming from? H.S. kids or what? You might as well have filled it out with a crayon, it couldn't look any worse or any less faked.

Old 02-13-2006, 06:08 PM
jibeho
5th Gear
Originally Posted by CDMINI
Sure it is, what dream world are you coming from? H.S. kids or what? You might as well have filled it out with a crayon, it couldn't look any worse or any less faked.
No Sir, that is the deal pure and simple. I did not scan the top because I feel people don't need to see my address. But I do know your in Orlando from your profile so we are close enough that when my car comes in we can meet and I can help convince you

I don't understand why folks seem to think it is imposable to deal with these cars. I think it is wrong for one dealer to charge a premium and the dealer in the next city does not. I believe in fair trade but can you imagine Apple comes out with a new Ipod and everyone in the west wants 3 of them. All Best Buys in the west are fighting to get them. Do you think the Best Buy in LA will be charging 50% more then the one in Jacksonville? NO they just sell them out. If you bought your MINI at Downtown I know you paid MSRP, if you went to Tampa you may have done better I don't know. All I can tell you is that what I say is the truth and I have been out of High School for 24 years.

Old 02-13-2006, 06:44 PM
SoCar S
4th Gear
Zero deal .. Paid MSRP ..
One thing .. wish I had gotten the "ticket" discount, then I would have felt better. The way I see it is .. I am into to the car MSRP, plus MSSTA .. ( Manufacturers Suggested Speeding Ticket Allowance )

LOL -

Old 02-14-2006, 06:49 AM
CDMINI
5th Gear
No Sir, that is the deal pure and simple. I did not scan the top because I feel people don't need to see my address.I don't understand why folks seem to think it is imposable to deal with these cars.
I just was commenting on the sales order appearance mostly. You have to admit it looks like it's pretty rough draft and then comes out with an even 23K price even with tax, etc. Pretty coincidental. If you say you got the deal, I will believe you because you insist it's so. Believe me, I know, EVERYTHING is negotiable. Congrats, I paid about the same price for my MCS but without all the extras. Seems to drive about the same, though.

P.S. It's not part of the sales price for the speeding ticket, those are strictly, "High Speed Road Use Taxes."

Old 02-15-2006, 05:10 AM
Beemer Guy
2nd Gear
This is a funny thread. Some people, I think, get offended because they paid sticker, or more for their car, and then here comes some guy and he got hugenormous discount, and you're pissed!

A lot of it is luck. Where you live, the market, the competition, sure, that has a lot to do with it too. Allocations and all that make a difference too. As does the greed of the dealership.

Reminds me of a car that I was looking at a few years ago... a pretty, used Jaguar convertible. It was OK, nothing special, and the dealer was asking 44K or so for it. I offered, I think, 38. I just wasn't willing to spend more than that when I could get one for less on eBay. They wouldn't go for it; I think they went as far as 42 but that was it. Well, the eBay car deal was a disaster (but that's another story) so I didn't get it... but the other car was still at the dealer. And after a couple of months, they lowered the price. It got as low as 36 before they finally either sold it or wholesaled. If I had still wanted the car, I could have bought it for thousands less than my original "low ball" offer.

It's all a matter of how long they've had the car there, the market, the weather, if it's the end of the month, if the sales manager is having a good day or a good month; sometimes the manufacturer will have incentives to the dealer or to the salespeople that you're not aware of.

Michael

Old 02-15-2006, 06:09 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
I believe in fair trade but can you imagine Apple comes out with a new Ipod and everyone in the west wants 3 of them. All Best Buys in the west are fighting to get them. Do you think the Best Buy in LA will be charging 50% more then the one in Jacksonville? NO they just sell them out.
Actually try finding an xbox 360 for MSRP. DifferentBest Buys WERE charging different amounts for them (some managers were eventually fired over it though).

Supply and extreme demand...

Old 02-16-2006, 04:30 PM
Zorro Verde
Neutral
I am new to the posts, but I can report that occasional deals are available, but likely unorthadox.

I went down to my dealer to see if they had anything on their lot as my current car was not going to survive the orderandwait period. I had heard all the same stories that the demand was high and so was the sticker price.
I went in early Friday, luckily just after a shipment had come in. Only two MC vehicles were available that were not presold or totally tricked out over 30K, but someone had ordered a MCS with a hefty amount of add ons but backed out of the deal just that morning.

I really was interested in a MCS but with all the options added on to this one it was pushing past what I was hoping to spend. After looking at the car but balking at the price, and showing less interest for the two MCs the dealer comes back with 2000 knocked off the price on the MCS, the MSRP, not an inflated price other than what profit is inherent in each add on.

It was not till I put down a deposit on the car that I realized where my luck was coming from. I put 2K down till I could get my wife to check out the car. It dawned on me that they were still getting MSRP because they already collected some poor guy's deposit of 2K when he ordered the car originally.

A dealer could have just pocketed that 2K and resold the car at MSRP but it says someting that they would let it go at that discount. In the back of my mind I kept thinking they might always have a car 'that someone just backed out of this morning', but the price was 2000 less than MSRP, so I will just tip my hat to the poor guy who not only did not get the car of his dreams but helped me drive away in it.