R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Is it possible to get any kind of discount on an 06 Mini??

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 10:33 PM
maverick1
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it possible to get any kind of discount on an 06 Mini??

I am thinking about ordering a new 06 Mini and was wondering if it is possible to get any kind of discount at all from the dealer? I picked up a new Porsche Boxster in May and got 7% off the list price.
Has anyone got any discounts when ordering their cars rather than picking them up from the showroom floor??
cheers

Old 10-07-2005, 10:39 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Getting a MINI at MSRP is really considered a good buy. With gas prices as they are, MINIs are selling like hotcakes. I really doubt you will find a discount on a new MINI. Good luck! :smile:

Clover

Old 10-07-2005, 10:42 PM
SB
6th Gear
My 06 will be my second MINI I have purchased from my dealership. For my faithful business, I will be receiving free rubber floor mats.

Old 10-07-2005, 10:43 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SB
My 06 will be my second MINI I have purchased from my dealership. For my faithful business, I will be receiving free rubber floor mats.
Yo! I got a free MINI zip-up sweatshirt when I ordered Wanda, my second MINI, in 2003!

Clover

Old 10-08-2005, 12:48 AM
chikmagnet
3rd Gear
yeah well i got a nice shiny chrome liscence plate frame with the dealership name on it

Old 10-08-2005, 01:58 AM
thefuturequeenofnebraska
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got one of the girls "i have one and you dont" tees, a boot organizer, and something else small when I ordered my car... best part about the free gifts (other than the fact they were free :smile I got to pick them out I also had to pay a $2500 premium tho...

If you want a discount, the closest thing I know of is to get a MINI from Classic in Ohio... MSRP + a discount on all dealer installed accessories and a few freebies too :smile:

Old 10-08-2005, 04:24 AM
nolimit
4th Gear
Getting your MINI at MSRP is like getting a discount

If you can wing free floormats consider yourself one of the lucky ones.

Cheers
Shawn

Old 10-08-2005, 04:26 AM
Bullfrog
4th Gear
I paid MSRP, but I got a free hat.

I have yet to hear of anyone paying less than MSRP.

Old 10-08-2005, 05:24 AM
hoopi
3rd Gear
Yep, MSRP "is" the discount for Mini's these days. But at least it will hold its value better than most cars out there.

Old 10-08-2005, 07:16 AM
jbs111
4th Gear
I have heard of a few getting 200-300 off MSRP, but those were for cars on the lots.

There was a news cast on Friday here in Southern Cal in which it was stated that BMW and MINI hold their resale value best over any other make. That said and with how hot Minis continue to be, MSRP is still a 'good deal'.

JB

Old 10-08-2005, 07:29 AM
coopercrazy
3rd Gear
I got $600 off MSRP on an ordered 2005. Ordered end of July 05, delivered early Sept. Didn't even have to push much to get it. He gave me 500 and I asked for another 100. Done...

Old 10-08-2005, 07:35 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sure this is all pretty shocking. A lot of potential buyers walk onto the lot thinking MINI dealers are like a variety of other car dealers, but they're not. There aren't masses of inventory on the lot, MSRP is considered a good deal, most folks have to order their MINI from the factory, some even order from dealers across the country. Kinda surreal but, yes, the car is so worth it. I think that buyers who do a bit of research and know what to expect upon walking into a dealer will generally find MINI acquisition a very pleasant, even fun, even exhilerating, experience. I feel sorry for those who get all hot and bothered because MINI is not dealing like Ford or GM or the rest. For the $$$s it should be known that MINIs are a great value, so paying MSRP may sting less when you consider what you're getting, as well as MINI's relatively low depreciation rate. So a little mental adjustment is generally in order. Don't deny yourself such a fine ride.

Old 10-08-2005, 07:36 AM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
We ought to make this a sticky in 1st gear and in MINI talk

MINIs are sold one of three ways...
  1. MSRP + local fees and wait for it to cross the pond
  2. "West Coast style" (MSRP + local fees+ Additional Dealer Profit)
  3. Used + local fees + ADP / POP (Previous Owner Profit)
If you want a discount, buy a domestic (GM, Ford, or Diamler Chrysler), Pacific Rim (Japanese, Korean...)

Old 10-08-2005, 07:41 AM
DrDiff
Originally Posted by gokartride
I'm sure this is all pretty shocking. A lot of potential buyers walk onto the lot thinking MINI dealers are like a variety of other car dealers, but they're not. There aren't masses of inventory on the lot, MSRP is considered a good deal, most folks have to order their MINI from the factory, some even order from dealers across the country. Kinda surreal but, yes, the car is so worth it. I think that buyers who do a bit of research and know what to expect upon walking into a dealer will generally find MINI acquisition a very pleasant, even fun, even exhilerating, experience. I feel sorry for those who get all hot and bothered because MINI is not dealing like Ford or GM or the rest. For the $$$s it should be known that MINIs are a great value, so paying MSRP may sting less when you consider what you're getting, as well as MINI's relatively low depreciation rate. So a little mental adjustment is generally in order. Don't deny yourself such a fine ride.
I used to think this way, "What are you, the dealer, going to do to cause me to purchase that car today?"

I had never ordered a car. I had always purchased off the lot. This gave me a bad experience at MINI. If you buy from the lot, You are most likely getting a MINI that has options to the MAX and plenty of Dealer Add ons to increase ADP. I couldn't afford the car this way. Thankfully Richard (our MA) John, and Ken at D&R made the process fun and almost painless! The waiting is the painful part.

Plus by ordering from say Ohio and driving back to the west coast... you get break in out of the way on the drive home! I only get 20 miles of break in done!

Originally Posted by coopercrazy
I got $600 off MSRP on an ordered 2005. Ordered end of July 05, delivered early Sept. Didn't even have to push much to get it. He gave me 500 and I asked for another 100. Done...
End of model year production? MA's last sale?

Old 10-08-2005, 08:17 AM
hoopi
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by DrDiff
MINIs are sold one of three ways...

1. MSRP + local fees and wait for it to cross the pond
  2. West Coast style (MSRP + local fees+ Additional Dealer Profit)
  3. Used + local fees + ADP / POP (Previous Owner Profit)
If you want a discount, buy a domestic (GM, Ford, or Diamler Chrysler), Pacific Rim (Japanese, Korean...)
I would add an option:

2.b. West Coast style /w Road Trip (Buy in Ohio, drive back to CA)

I had the choice of 1 or 2, and opted for 2B. Now I don't have to wait, I'm getting what I wanted (minus 1 little option), and I get a forced vacation at the same time. Surprisingly this is a pretty cost effective solution right now. My plane ticket was under $150, and gas is only around $300 for the trip back for me.

Old 10-08-2005, 09:33 AM
anteken
4th Gear
Century MINI in Greenville SC will give you 15% discount on all accessories and maybe floormats if you whine loud enough. No more markup though.

Old 10-08-2005, 10:11 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So are markups from MSRP limited to certain California dealers...or all Cali dealers? Any others nationwide? It's still kinda hard to believe this is still going on.

Old 10-08-2005, 10:12 AM
emoore
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by hoopi
I would add an option:

I had the choice of 1 or 2, and opted for 2B. Now I don't have to wait, I'm getting what I wanted (minus 1 little option), and I get a forced vacation at the same time. Surprisingly this is a pretty cost effective solution right now. My plane ticket was under $150, and gas is only around $300 for the trip back for me.
I did the same thing. It was great. Plus Classic threw in free floor mats and a glove box organizer.

Old 10-08-2005, 10:48 AM
lurch70
6th Gear
i got my 03 off the lot ... $500 off ... but it was a demo with 200 miles on it.

Old 10-08-2005, 11:24 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Originally Posted by maverick1
I am thinking about ordering a new 06 Mini and was wondering if it is possible to get any kind of discount at all from the dealer? I picked up a new Porsche Boxster in May and got 7% off the list price.
Has anyone got any discounts when ordering their cars rather than picking them up from the showroom floor??
cheers

Porsche = overstock = discounted price

MINI = heaven = MSRP, cheap price for admission.

Old 10-08-2005, 12:25 PM
coopercrazy
3rd Gear
It wasn't becuase of end of model year. They could have sold it to someone else. There was 1-2 spots left in that order lot w/ 2 days to go.
He told me up front, they give $500 off.
And he is still there selling cars.

Dont get me wrong, I would have paid sticker. In the grand scheme, $600 aint much. But I believe if you called them(habberstad) you too could get a discount.

Old 10-08-2005, 12:36 PM
anteken
4th Gear
For what it's worth, I heard the (new) manager at our local MINI dealership, explaining that MINIUSA wants all dealerships to end each month with NO cars left unsold. Inventory is to be kept to a minimum with good things happening to managers who can accomplish this task.

In CA this means nothing as there is apparently still a big markup and wait but it might be something to think about IF there is one left at the end of the month at your dealer that interests you.

Myself, we paid MSRP and ordered exactly what we wanted.

TTFN

Old 10-08-2005, 01:01 PM
DrDiff
Originally Posted by hoopi
I would add an option:

Hoppi, I hope you don't mean, Buy at MRSP or over and pay ADP as well as the road trip option!

West coast people who are intelligent will not want to endure the extra 2-4 weeks shipping time are usually intelligent enough not to pay the "West Coast Style" (MSRP+local fees+ADP) Prices.

Tehnically what you are talking about is a delivery option, of which there are four choices:
  1. Sit and wait for the car to be built. Sit and wait some more for the car to get on a boat. Sit and wait for the car to be
  2. West Coast style (Choice #1 plus an additional 2-4 weeks as the car goes through the Panama Canal.)
  3. Intelligent Motorist (West coast person who buys the car from an East coast/ Midwest dealer and drives the car back home to get past the break in time)
  4. Bill Gates / Impatient (Has too much money and can buy off lot with tons of ADP or just can't force themselves to wait!

Old 10-08-2005, 01:04 PM
DrDiff
Originally Posted by coopercrazy
It wasn't becuase of end of model year. They could have sold it to someone else. There was 1-2 spots left in that order lot w/ 2 days to go.
He told me up front, they give $500 off.
And he is still there selling cars.

Dont get me wrong, I would have paid sticker. In the grand scheme, $600 aint much. But I believe if you called them(habberstad) you too could get a discount.
I just call you LUCKY!

Sure there is the possibility of having taxes plates etc included in with MSRP price. But the probability of a dealer actually doing such a thing is slim to none.

Old 10-08-2005, 01:07 PM
hugh
5th Gear
I guess I'm a spoiled rich kid (not) but $500 off a $24k -- $28k purchase is just no big whoop. If $15 or so per month is going keep you out of the MINI, and I realize it might to some, then by all means, try for the discount. As a rule though, that should not impact the average Mini buyer.

In other words, they don't discount MINIs because the vast majority of MINI buyers are in an income bracket where they can well afford the $500.

But I do commend the Californians willing to fly out instead of patronizing those stealer/dealers with their rip-off mark-ups. But then again, if they couldnt afford it, they wouldn't be paying it, would they.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Is it possible to get any kind of discount on an 06 Mini??